Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2019 6:41 AM

Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This series hasn't been subbed in English, but it has been dubbed completely in Italian, if you know that. It's called "tanto tempo fa...gigi". I think you can buy it physically somewhere; I didn't look too deeply. It's very easy to stream right on youtube, though. In full.

But if you're illiterate in Italian like I am, then I guess you'll just have to learn Japanese. Don't worry, though; the Japanese isn't too hard for the most part. N3's enough for ~90% comprehension without slowing down. This series is on Amazon Prime, by the way. Or you could buy it physical for like 15000円. More info here, if you're interested in a long-form ramble.

Maybe it's not worth 15000円 in your eyes, but the box art looks pretty nice.

I'm afraid I didn't end up watching the first series. Maybe someday. Nevermind that, onto the first episode of Minky Momo - Yume wo Dakishemete!!

So this story actually takes place a long time ago...well, so long ago that it could just as well happen tomorrow! So, it happened quite recently actually. (you know, because in the original series, the narrator says that it takes place a long time ago, or rather, about a week ago actually). Yep, it's a callback joke.

Anyway, 3 explorer dudes are walking through some kind of ruin, looking for something, and then they hit a dead end. Strangely, there's a clearly artificial wall blocking the way. Suddenly, a hole opens up in the wall...!

A train drives by!? Huh. Apparently there was a railway there. Oh well, I guess that'll be convenient for getting back to town! Wait...what's that over there?

It's what they were looking for; some kind of mural that talks about the legend of Fennarinarsa, the Land of Dreams. They call it... the "dabadabako" or something. "Daba Daba" are words you'll hear a lot in Minky Momo, and they don't really mean anything. They're just nonsense filler words. Momo's father says it at least once per sentence... I guess it's up to you whether that's hilarious or annoying.

So anyway, it tells of some foretold day where something is supposed to happen in the night sky. And it’s so important that the news is talking about the astrological event. And, oh yeah, that day is today. So, skipping right along, Sky Momo's parents are worried that Earth is getting further and further away from them and they need someone to go there and grant the hopes and dreams of the people there or something. Hmm? Does that sound familiar? Because it's pretty much exactly what happened in the first series.

Oh, but didn't something happen to the First Momo? I don't think she's around to do that. Oh, wait! There's another family down at the bottom of the sea with a daughter of their own; down at Marinarsa! So the father gives that guy a call and basically asks him to send his daughter down to Earth to go help out.

And right about now, that girl is playing around Marinarsa, trying to fly as high as she can.

...Then she hits the top and starts falling. Some good humour included here, but basically, Marinarsa isn't big enough for Momo to play around in. Then she gets called by her father and told about the situation, and she's more than willing to go to Earth! After all, it's way bigger, right? And so she sets off in her submarine for the surface, in a scene that would not be out of place in a Bond movie.

And, oh look, it's another submarine! Finally, people! Huh? What's that? They're firing missiles at us because we don't have any ID?

So, obviously, Momo does the right thing and tries to fire back! But that doesn't work out because they don't believe in magic or something, and her submarine decides, all on its own, to make a tactical retreat! Flying higher and higher and higher.

Anyway, while all this is happening, the dude from the explorer group earlier calls up his wife/girlfriend and asks her how the novel she's writing is going. This scene begins with her typing out her own scene: "And then, everyone disappeared from the mansion. Wait, what about the culprit? Who was it again?" So, changing the topic, she asks him how he's going. He tells her about the huge discovery they made, and then when he comes back, they talk about how they've always wanted kids. That if they went to Fenarinarsa, the land where dreams and wishes are granted, it's said that they can get a kid if they want one.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but all this Fenarinarsa stuff seems pretty heavily based off all the stuff the First Momo did back in the first series. It's basically a bunch of callbacks. Which mean very little to me because I haven't seen it, but it's a nice touch. This is kind of a sequel, rather than an alternative setting, as far as I'm aware.

So yeah, a wishing star comes shooting by, and they both make a wish at the same time... but for some reason, the shooting star isn't going down at all. It's still climbing higher! That's not very shooting-star-like...

So back to Momo, their ship is flying so high that they end up in space. And into a black hole. Momo saves the day at the last second using most of her power to create a magical barrier, and then they manage to make it back to Earth. I assume this was the “astrological event” everyone was so excited to see.

They end up in a plane. But surprise, surprise, it's being held up by a bunch of gunmen! Momo's already used pretty much all of her power, but she turns into a flight attendant and tries to get the gunman to stop... by offering them some tea or coffee.

This guy is very menacing. I think I choked when I saw his face.

So, seeing her Flight Attendant outfit isn't working ("What, you think we're just gonna stop just because you tell us to?"), she decides to opt for a different plan. Not before asking who they would stop for ("Well, the police, I guess..."). She comes back out wearing a mercenary uniform with her hair cut short and starts firing at them with a gun of her own.

So she asks them to put their hands up, and everyone else to put their hands down, and then she ends up back on land with no idea where the hell she is. Oh, and she almost gets run over by a car. A few times. Careful on the road, kids! Not that anything gruesome is gonna happen in a kid's show, anyway.

Nearing the end of the episode now, and Momo's all out of magic. So her animal buddies (oh, right, those guys. Yeah, she has three animal buddies. One sounds like an old man, one is a beauty-obsessed bird, and the other is just weird) combine together to help transport her to where she should go. With the catch, of course, that they won't be able to use magic ever again. But they make the argument that they never used it much on Marinarsa anyway, and they've got Momo.

So she ends up on the doorstep of this childless couple, and the first thing she does is setup shop in the attic. The wife hears them land loudly on the roof, thinking it's rat or something. The husband rushes in saying, "Is it a rat? Or a dog? Or a robber?!" And so they go and investigate, the husband with a broom as a weapon.

And when they open the door...they say goodnight to their daughter Momo, and then they go to sleep.

Huh, wait? Did we have a daughter? I guess so, dear!

Yep, Momo brainwashes them into thinking that she's their daughter with her apparently exhausted magic. It's still hilarious and creepy as hell.

And that's the first episode of Hold On To Your Dreams!

Obviously, I'm not doing it justice. It's a lot funnier than I could replicate here, but since nobody was talking about this series, I thought I'd try and summarise an episode for those without the ability or inclination to watch it.

The writing is pretty good, and it's also pretty funny, with some more adult moments here and there. The music is also one of the best aspects of this show. It's so damn catchy and memorable!

It's depressing that this series never saw an official DVD release, or is watchable in any form aside from the Japanese (without subtitles) right now. The first series mainly, because the second series wasn't even touched.

Oh well. I'm gonna keep watching this show. It's a good way to test and improve my Japanese skills, too. I don't think I'm going to summarise any other episodes of the show, but I'll probably talk about it in some form or another.
FallJun 18, 2019 6:00 PM
Jan 10, 12:25 PM
Oct 2017
Watching it was a nice trip to memory lane from about thirty-one years ago.
I can't believe I still remembered details (like the tongue on the picture)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 4 Discussion

Fall - Jun 29, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 29, 2019 10:55 PM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 3 Discussion

Fall - Jun 28, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 28, 2019 8:25 PM

Poll: » Mahou no Princess Minky Momo: Yume wo Dakishimete Episode 2 Discussion

Fall - Jun 28, 2019

0 by Fall »»
Jun 28, 2019 7:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.