Forum Settings
Forums

Ask anything about Japan you found curious in anime.

New
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 13, 2019 9:58 AM

Feb 2015
StudyingEnglish said:
I also don't like it when girls come to confess with their friends. It happens quite a lot in Japan.

You mean just being there for their friend as emotional support?

Because someone who had a crush on me back then also confessed in a similar manner. And my god, it felt really awkward for both us when this is something two people would want to talk about in private.

Somewhat understandable, but at the same time, it's not exactly needed and they risk a bit of embarrassment knowing there are witnesses if they were rejected.
Jun 16, 2019 11:11 AM

Mar 2019
I just watched a character unironically use "barusudei" for "birthday" and "tyainiisu" for "Chinese"? Are these actually used in Japan or is this just done to make a country look more European since the setting was in Europe?

I see some really strange English loans from time to time like "kurasumeito"... surely the Japanese had their own word for that before English? I can understand "kurisumasu" since it was actually a concept introduced by the Anglo-Saxon but "kurasumeito" and "barusudei"?

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
Sphinxter said:
I see some really strange English loans from time to time like "kurasumeito"... surely the Japanese had their own word for that before English? I can understand "kurisumasu" since it was actually a concept introduced by the Anglo-Saxon but "kurasumeito" and "barusudei"?
Don't know about "kurasumeito", but "barusudei" is "tanjōbi". Maybe "barusudei" has a specific use like when you sing "happy birthday", but I don't know which is more common in Japan: "tanjōbi omedetō" or "hapi barusudei"

Miruku for example seems to describe milk for babies:

https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1785133&show=50#msg57764514

Then, there's also "jūsu". And I'm sure that part-time jobs existed before (aru)baito became a thing and that there is another way of saying "kēki" or "torute" and many more

btw.: did I really read it correctly that "ボンベ (bombe) is "a steel canister for storing pressurized gas, such as a propane tank"?
Jun 16, 2019 12:51 PM

Mar 2019
Noboru said:
Sphinxter said:
Don't know about "kurasumeito", but "barusudei" is "tanjōbi". Maybe "barusudei" has a specific use like when you sing "happy birthday", but I don't know which is more common in Japan: "tanjōbi omedetō" or "hapi barusudei"

Then, there's also "jūsu". And I'm sure that part-time jobs existed before (aru)baito became a thing and that there is another way of saying "kēki" or "torute" and many more

btw.: did I really read it correctly that "ボンベ (bombe) is "a steel canister for storing pressurized gas, such as a propane tank"?
Yes, a friend of mine already informed me that tanzyoubi also existed. I also encountered "kuro na naito" for "black knight" in chess just yet from the same series which is particular because Syougi pieces are typically translated to chess analogs. I also think I heard "heiku" for "fake".

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 1:07 PM

Jan 2009
Sphinxter said:
Yes, a friend of mine already informed me that tanzyoubi also existed. I also encountered "kuro na naito" for "black knight" in chess just yet from the same series which is particular because Syougi pieces are typically translated to chess analogs. I also think I heard "heiku" for "fake".
"heiku" or "feiku"?
And I've heard "tsekku-meito" more than the names of the actual pieces in Japanese. Though, there are also specialized terms such as "ツークツワンク" [ˈtsuːktsvaŋ] ( from German "Zugzwang" = when you're pressured to finish your turn; too lazy for the proper Romanization) and [insert_other_example], but with the latter, I can understand if there aren't any native terms

I'm more concerned if such common words like "(aru)beito", "jūsu" and "kurasumeito" didn't have any native counterpart, respectively.
Jun 16, 2019 2:55 PM

Mar 2019
Noboru said:
Sphinxter said:
"heiku" or "feiku"?
The introduction of "f" (or "v") into Japanese is a rather recent thing for loanwords with a katakana hack using the "hu" kana with a small "e" to supposedly create "fe"; the "proper" pronunciation being an "f" apparently but since Japanese historically hadn't this sound a lot of Japanese speakers are as bad at this as pronouncing l's and r's. This speaker said "heiku" but looking it up the "proper" word is apparently "feiku"

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 3:24 PM

Nov 2011
romamization is an imperfect representation of the Japanese phonemes, which is why there are different romanization "standards" (if you can call it that). discussing whether a word should be romanized using f or h, z or j is of questionable usefulness. different people will use different letterrs to represent the exact same sound.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 16, 2019 3:33 PM

Mar 2019
DreamingBeats said:
romamization is an imperfect representation of the Japanese phonemes, which is why there are different romanization "standards" (if you can call it that). discussing whether a word should be romanized using f or h, z or j is of questionable usefulness. different people will use different letterrs to represent the exact same sound.
We're not really talking about how it should be romanized but how it was actually pronounced though.

"feiku" is a romanization "フェイク"; "heiku" of "ヘイク"

In theory these are pronounced differently but the former is only a recent introduction into Japanese specifically to write loanwords that don't fit into Japanese phonology; thence many Japanese speakers just pronounce it identically to the latter since they're not comfortable with pronouncing it. This isn't much different from that some English speakers will correctly attempt to pronounce the "ch" sound in the German loan "baumkuchen" whereas others will just say "baumkuhen" or "baumkucken" to deal with the fact that English does not have this sound and it's uncomfortable to pronounce for them.

Apart from that nihonsiki is perfection and has no flaws — nihonsiki master race. It's not about phonemes; it's about the most elegant system to write Japanese in the Latin alphabet.
SphinxterJun 16, 2019 3:48 PM

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 4:08 PM

Nov 2011
elegant representation of japanese in latin alphabet... ill be blunt here and say they all suck in my book. there are at least two different standard ways to represent Japanese words using the latin characters - Hepburn and Nihonshiki (ill be honest, thats the first time i heard of that one, though i think i did come across its use somewhere before). there are probably more im not aware of. not one system is "superior" to the other. they all represent the same sounds using the latin characters.
and they are both of questionable usefulness when communicating with actual native speakers.
(yes, i really dislike romanization as you can tell. that may be one of the reasons i urge people to learn the actual alphabet when they first start to learn the language. it also helps you "think" in Japanese....if that makes sense)

by the way, my dislike toward romanization also applies to other languages such as German and Russian. the first step should always be to learn the language's writing system first (i suppose this is harder for some languages such as Chinese, but that one is considered among the hardest to learn)
DreamingBeatsJun 16, 2019 4:17 PM
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

Jun 16, 2019 4:20 PM

Mar 2019
DreamingBeats said:
elegant representation of japanese in latin alphabet... ill be blunt here and say they all suck in my book. there are at least two different standard ways to represent Japanese words using the latin characters - Hepburn and Nihonshiki (ill be honest, thats the first time i heard of that one, though i think i did come across its use somewhere before). there are probably more im not aware of. not one system is "superior" to the other. they all represent the same sounds using the latin characters.
and they are both of questionable usefulness when communicating with actual native speakers.
(yes, i really dislike romanization as you can tell. that may be one of the reasons i urge people to learn the actual alphabet when they first start to learn the language. it also helps you "think" in Japanese....if that makes sense)

Not really — nihonsiki was designed to replace the kana system originally. It's the oldest romanization system and it was intended to write Japanese from the start; it is simply put superior to Hepburn and to the Kana system to write Japanese. There was actually in the 1920s in Japan a significant movement to replace the script with the Latin alphabet which was commonly done in many places around that time because the Latin alphabet was superior for printing and data storage at the time. Now since the rise of modern unicode this problem has been mitigated to a degree but hear me when I say the inertia is the only reason this plan followed not.

Nihonsiki is simply put a more effective way to write Japanese than the Kana will ever be.

There is some merit in kanzi in the sense that it keeps homonyms apart but nihonsiki is simply the most efficient orthography for Japanese for no other reason than that it didn't evolve gradually over time like many orthographies but was specifically designed by a Japanese physicist to be as efficient as possible as he felt at the time that Japan could not compete with the more-efficient Latin-based countries without abandoning the historical scripts which were far more costly to put to print and store digitally than the Latin alphabet was.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 4:29 PM

Jan 2009
Sphinxter said:
This isn't much different from that some English speakers will correctly attempt to pronounce the "ch" sound in the German loan "baumkuchen" whereas others will just say "baumkuhen" or "baumkucken" to deal with the fact that English does not have this sound and it's uncomfortable to pronounce for them.
And the same works the other way around when non-native English speakers would use th-fronting and th-stopping, because their language doesn't have the respective sound. From what I know, speakers of Scots and Northern English dialects may be able to properly pronounce the [x] (ach-sound) natively (for example in "loch"), but it starts to develop into [k], same as how the th-sound vanished in Old High German and became a [d] ( = th-stopping)

Coming back to "feiku" vs. "heiku": "heiku" would be very likely more closely to how it would be really pronounced, but writing it as "feiku" would be how it should be intended to be pronounced. And coming from a language that has the "f"-sound natively as well, it's much easier to imagine what is meant when I read "feiku" than with "heiku". Besides, a Japanese person would likely use Katakana, anyway, so the Romaji would be more for foreigners learning Japanese. But what's the point in learning Japanglish instead of learning native, Japanese counterparts?
Jun 16, 2019 4:33 PM

Nov 2011
nihonshiki is more effective than writing kana...that is one thing i have to disagree.
besides, i see little point to use nihonshiki when kana is easy enough to learn. Japanese children as young as 3 learn the kana charaters and can even write kana at 4 years old.
https://www.himawari-child.com/knowledge/4523.html

there are 48 ish hiragana and 48 ish katakana characters...which may seem like a "lot", but a dedicated enough person can learn them in a week. the good thing is, there are a ton of free and reliable resources available to learn them.

and no, romanization was never meant to replace kana.

Jun 16, 2019 4:47 PM

Mar 2019
Noboru said:
Coming back to "feiku" vs. "heiku": "heiku" would be very likely more closely to how it would be really pronounced, but writing it as "feiku" would be how it should be intended to be pronounced. And coming from a language that has the "f"-sound natively as well, it's much easier to imagine what is meant when I read "feiku" than with "heiku". Besides, a Japanese person would likely use Katakana, anyway, so the Romaji would be more for foreigners learning Japanese. But what's the point in learning Japanglish instead of learning native, Japanese counterparts?
True but I just wrote down what I heard. I heard a speaker say "heiku" and I didn't look up in a dictionary what the proper form was.

DreamingBeats said:
nihonshiki is more effective than writing kana...that is one thing i have to disagree.
besides, i see little point to use nihonshiki when kana is easy enough to learn. Japanese children as young as 3 learn the kana charaters and can even write kana at 4 years old.
https://www.himawari-child.com/knowledge/4523.html

there are 48 ish hiragana and 48 ish katakana characters...which may seem like a "lot", but a dedicated enough person can learn them in a week. the good thing is, there are a ton of free and reliable resources available to learn them.
It's not about learning that makes it difficult even though it's still more characters to learn than the Latin alphabet; it's about data storage and handling. Nihonsiki was developed at the time that typewriters were first developed — I'm sure you can imagine the relative ease of a typewriter for the Latin alphabet opposed to the kana; there were also matters like morse code and printing press to be considered. The Latin alphabet at the time was simply considerably more appealing and cost-effective which is why around that time many languages switched to the Latin alphabet.

Now as I said modern advancements in technology have made this problem less severe but inputting kana and especially kanzi on a computer is still considerably more involved than using nihonsiki and most input systems in fact just accept nihonsiki and try to guess what kanzi the user most likely meant and work with a selection screen. It's far from as efficient as it could be.

and no, romanization was never meant to replace kana.
Most certainly it was — nihonsiki was originally meant to not just transcribe Japanese but to replace the Kana and this was given serious consideration at the time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romanization_of_Japanese#As_a_replacement_for_the_Japanese_writing_system

In the Meiji era (1868–1912), some Japanese scholars advocated abolishing the Japanese writing system entirely and using rōmaji instead. The Nihon-shiki romanization was an outgrowth of that movement.

This was a time where for a brief period Japanese academic literature was published in the Latin script to demonstrate how much less costly it was to print it that way which was seen as a scientific advancement.

Indeed this movement died out after advancements in printing and information technology made kana less cost-inefficient to handle but nihonsiki was absolutely intended from the start to outright replace the kana.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 16, 2019 5:42 PM

Jul 2016
traed said:
Optigisa said:
Do Japanese people have weird fetishes, or is it just a stereotype?

But every country has at least some people with weird fetishes.

Yeah, but they say that Japanese people have the weirdest ones.
Jun 16, 2019 5:57 PM

Jul 2016
Do Japanese people actually have weird game shows?
Jun 17, 2019 7:12 AM

Apr 2012
Is it really generally believed, as so many anime insist, that you can get colds from being cold, and they can be cured with medicine?
Jun 17, 2019 7:19 AM

Mar 2019
logopolis said:
Is it really generally believed, as so many anime insist, that you can get colds from being cold, and they can be cured with medicine?
I don't think that outdated myth is exclusive to Japan at all.

Korea seems to have a peculiar one where most Koreans seem to believe that one can die from leaving a fan on overnight.

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 17, 2019 8:18 AM

Apr 2012
Oh, I didn't believe it to be exclusive to Japan, I was just wondering if it was present.
Jun 23, 2019 2:13 AM
Jul 2018
Sorry I didn't arrive recently. I was busy with tests. I'll start answering now
Jun 23, 2019 2:15 AM
Jul 2018
Stoorainclaire said:
do girls always concern about how big and small their boobs are?
They don't concern about it, but some girls do want to grow them bigger.
Jun 23, 2019 2:26 AM
Jul 2018
Konradikon said:
StudyingEnglish said:
I also don't like it when girls come to confess with their friends. It happens quite a lot in Japan.

You mean just being there for their friend as emotional support?

Because someone who had a crush on me back then also confessed in a similar manner. And my god, it felt really awkward for both us when this is something two people would want to talk about in private.

Somewhat understandable, but at the same time, it's not exactly needed and they risk a bit of embarrassment knowing there are witnesses if they were rejected.
No I mean the one where they're there to force you to date the girl.
Jun 23, 2019 2:30 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
I just watched a character unironically use "barusudei" for "birthday" and "tyainiisu" for "Chinese"? Are these actually used in Japan or is this just done to make a country look more European since the setting was in Europe?

Japanese has a lot of those. English words can be turned into katakana and be used. It has a affect that makes the conversation more casual. Normal Japanese sounds too strict and doesn't fit modern situations. That's my thought about English words used in Japanese.
Jun 23, 2019 2:39 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
Noboru said:

Shogi pieces are shogi pieces and chess pieces are chess pieces in Japan. I don't why they translate shogi pieces into chess pieces. They may have same moves but they're not the same.
Jun 23, 2019 3:08 AM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:
Sphinxter said:
"heiku" or "feiku"?
And I've heard "tsekku-meito" more than the names of the actual pieces in Japanese. Though, there are also specialized terms such as "ツークツワンク" [ˈtsuːktsvaŋ] ( from German "Zugzwang" = when you're pressured to finish your turn; too lazy for the proper Romanization) and [insert_other_example], but with the latter, I can understand if there aren't any native terms

I'm more concerned if such common words like "(aru)beito", "jūsu" and "kurasumeito" didn't have any native counterpart, respectively.
I think juice and jusu are differently used between English and Japanese. Juice is liquid from fruits? I believe? But jusu means drinks. Sweet drinks like apple juice to coke, any sweet drinks. Native term is "kannmiryou-甘味料". Classmate's native term is "gakuyuu--学友", or "kyuuyuu--級友", or "doukyuusei--同級生".
Jun 23, 2019 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
Noboru said:
"heiku" or "feiku"?
The introduction of "f" (or "v") into Japanese is a rather recent thing for loanwords with a katakana hack using the "hu" kana with a small "e" to supposedly create "fe"; the "proper" pronunciation being an "f" apparently but since Japanese historically hadn't this sound a lot of Japanese speakers are as bad at this as pronouncing l's and r's. This speaker said "heiku" but looking it up the "proper" word is apparently "feiku"
I don't think anyone would say heiku for feiku.
Jun 23, 2019 3:19 AM
Jul 2018
Optigisa said:
traed said:

But every country has at least some people with weird fetishes.

Yeah, but they say that Japanese people have the weirdest ones.
I need examples of weird fetishes. There is a border in Japan and I want to compare the border difference with other countries.
Jun 23, 2019 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
Optigisa said:
Do Japanese people actually have weird game shows?
Again, what are the weird game shows like? We have game shows, but I can't tell if it's weird or not.
Jun 23, 2019 3:26 AM
Jul 2018
logopolis said:
I don't know if it's believed or not but parents do still say you'll catch a cold when your temperature lowers.
Jun 23, 2019 3:46 AM

Jan 2009
StudyingEnglish said:
I think juice and jusu are differently used between English and Japanese. Juice is liquid from fruits? I believe? But jusu means drinks. Sweet drinks like apple juice to coke, any sweet drinks. Native term is "kannmiryou-甘味料". Classmate's native term is "gakuyuu--学友", or "kyuuyuu--級友", or "doukyuusei--同級生".
Juice is from my understanding only about fruit liquids, while Cola and other sweetened drinks are "soft drinks" or "soda". So would "kanmiryou" be used only for fruit juices or for all kinds of sweet drinks?
Jun 23, 2019 8:21 AM
Jul 2018
Noboru said:
StudyingEnglish said:
Juice is from my understanding only about fruit liquids, while Cola and other sweetened drinks are "soft drinks" or "soda". So would "kanmiryou" be used only for fruit juices or for all kinds of sweet drinks?
Sorry it was kannmiinnryou-甘味飲料 and literally translates to sweet taste drinks. No one uses this word, it's only on the labels. Fruit juice would be kajyuu--果汁.
Jun 23, 2019 8:21 AM

Nov 2011
StudyingEnglish said:
DreamingBeats said:

judging from the ads i've seen, they are more concerned with bodily hair (legs and under arms) as well as pimples or other "imperfections" in their skin. ah, and belly fat (the ad promises an easy way to lose weight by taking a pill)

ot:
1) have you been to the top of the building? there seems to be a recurring theme were the main characters do activities there. examples include Comic Girls, Love Live, Anima Yell, one week friends, etc, etc.
2) do you have archery club at your school?
3) is sending love / invitation / challenge letter still a thing?
4) not a question, but when you are in class, look to your right.
.... there is a wall.
1. Yes I have, but only once when I was introduced to the school the first day. The teacher told the students not to come to the roof top.

2. The Japanese one? Yes I do. My friend is a member :)

3. Yes it is. I've got five of them since middle school. 3 at valentines day and two in a random day.

4. Is that a reference of something? Sorry I couldn't really understand. I don't have a wll next to me.

4)
from the series Acchi Kocchi:

Jun 23, 2019 8:38 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:
StudyingEnglish said:
1. Yes I have, but only once when I was introduced to the school the first day. The teacher told the students not to come to the roof top.

2. The Japanese one? Yes I do. My friend is a member :)

3. Yes it is. I've got five of them since middle school. 3 at valentines day and two in a random day.

4. Is that a reference of something? Sorry I couldn't really understand. I don't have a wll next to me.

4)

Did this become a meme or something? Or did you like it and remember it lol
Jun 23, 2019 8:52 AM

Nov 2011
StudyingEnglish said:
DreamingBeats said:

4)

i only saw one or two episodes or so, but somehow that scene stuck with me haha.

Jun 24, 2019 7:35 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:
StudyingEnglish said:

i only saw one or two episodes or so, but somehow that scene stuck with me haha.
Maybe I should watch it. Looks good.
Jun 24, 2019 7:36 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:
StudyingEnglish said:

Maybe I should watch it. Looks good.
Jul 3, 2019 1:37 PM

Mar 2019
This is purely grammar but I'm watching Parasyte and I couldn't help but notice that sin'iti says: "boku na migi te ha?" which got translated as "What about my right hand?"; is I assume that "boku no" instead of "boku na" would be fine too? Is there any nuance to this? I've never seen it used like that.

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 3, 2019 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
I grew up with the belief that western culture is much more about individuality and asian (chinese, japanese, korean...) is much more about conformity and what's best for society.
There are undertones like that in some anime too.
Is it true to such a huge extent and are there examples of that? Amd are there generation gaps about these beliefs?

Are school clubs actually such a big thing?

Thanks for answering questions here.
Jul 4, 2019 1:10 AM

Dec 2015
Do girls have mannerism like in anime?

Examples: shy girls talking like "H-hi M-Muroto-kun"... something... moe-like
tsunderes, yanderes and stuff (not in the extreme way)

Did a girl confess her love to you? How was it? What was your answer?

Is kokuhaku really a thing? Is it common confess to someone that way?
Jul 6, 2019 7:38 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
This is purely grammar but I'm watching Parasyte and I couldn't help but notice that sin'iti says: "boku na migi te ha?" which got translated as "What about my right hand?"; is I assume that "boku no" instead of "boku na" would be fine too? Is there any nuance to this? I've never seen it used like that.
Is that episode 1? I think he's saying "boku no".
Jul 6, 2019 7:52 AM
Jul 2018
Maneki-Mew said:
I grew up with the belief that western culture is much more about individuality and asian (chinese, japanese, korean...) is much more about conformity and what's best for society.
There are undertones like that in some anime too.
Is it true to such a huge extent and are there examples of that? Amd are there generation gaps about these beliefs?

Are school clubs actually such a big thing?

Thanks for answering questions here.
I can only speak for Japan, but yes conformity is important. People say that individuality is important and stuff but what everyone is doing is trying to be normal, don't stand out, and be the same. I hate this about Japan. I believe this is why a lot of anime has a topic about having your own opinion, or don't be embarrased about something different type things. Younger generations are starting to be more individual.Did I understand the question right? I'm not sure if I understood the word conformity right.

School clubs is a big thing. Almost everyone joins one.
removed-userJul 6, 2019 8:01 AM
Jul 6, 2019 8:00 AM
Jul 2018
Parkrover said:

Tsunderes and yanderes, yes they exist. But I've never seen any shy girls like in anime. They can't even call peoples names.

Yes I have a few times. I was surprised and was happy about it. But I rejected all of them because I had someone I really love and was planning to confess someday, which is my girlfriend right now.
Jul 6, 2019 8:33 AM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Parkrover said:

Tsunderes and yanderes, yes they exist. But I've never seen any shy girls like in anime. They can't even call peoples names.

Yes I have a few times. I was surprised and was happy about it. But I rejected all of them because I had someone I really love and was planning to confess someday, which is my girlfriend right now.
What would you say the gender ratios in love confessions are? Media makes it seem like females confess about five times more often than males but this high number is probably just because most of those shows are geared towards males having a male protagonist.

Also is it true that the social expectation is to keep your feelings completely hidden before confessing so it comes as a shock or that people that really barely know each other confess to each other?

Also, yes you're right upon re-listen; it was "no" and not "na", no idea why I heard "na" as I was expecting "no" and it really stood out as weird.

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 11, 2019 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:

What would you say the gender ratios in love confessions are? Media makes it seem like females confess about five times more often than males but this high number is probably just because most of those shows are geared towards males having a male protagonist.

Also is it true that the social expectation is to keep your feelings completely hidden before confessing so it comes as a shock or that people that really barely know each other confess to each other?

Also, yes you're right upon re-listen; it was "no" and not "na", no idea why I heard "na" as I was expecting "no" and it really stood out as weird.
The face to face type of confessions like in anime are mostly done by guys. Girls would mostly confess by texts. Ratio would be about Male:Female=4:6 maybe. You should check out more shoujo genre because there are tons of guys confessing to girls.

There are not really any social expectations about that. Some people would hide their feelings, some would hint a ton, some would hang out long enough that they're certain to be accepted before confessing.
Jul 11, 2019 7:29 AM

Mar 2019
StudyingEnglish said:
Sphinxter said:

The face to face type of confessions like in anime are mostly done by guys. Girls would mostly confess by texts. Ratio would be about Male:Female=4:6 maybe. You should check out more shoujo genre because there are tons of guys confessing to girls.
Yeah — I was expecting that it was because of that.

But that's interesting I guess; so you'd say that females more often take the initiative than males but do so in a less balsy manner?

Like this American thing where one (almost invariably males) would ask out a complete stranger one just met on the street on a date — I assume that would not often happen in Japan?

Also does this thing actually happen where they confess to fellow students at school whom they are barely acquainted with?

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 11, 2019 7:39 AM

Nov 2011
ever tried cheating, or know someone who tried cheating in exams?

as for joining clubs, there is aways 帰宅部
(on a side note, japanese language is fun in how words are chosen to mean something.
if there is a club member that doesnt participate in the club's activities, we call it "inactive member" in english, but in japanese they are referred as "ghost/spectre/phantom members")

Jul 12, 2019 10:44 AM
Jul 2018
Sphinxter said:
StudyingEnglish said:
Yeah — I was expecting that it was because of that.

But that's interesting I guess; so you'd say that females more often take the initiative than males but do so in a less balsy manner?

Like this American thing where one (almost invariably males) would ask out a complete stranger one just met on the street on a date — I assume that would not often happen in Japan?

Also does this thing actually happen where they confess to fellow students at school whom they are barely acquainted with?
I can't speak for everyone, but Ithink the guys are more serious about it. Girls just confesses a lot by text and they move on if they get rejected.

That happens in Japan too but it's mostly to have sex. Some people does grow in to a good relationship afterwards though.

I don't think that happens.
Jul 12, 2019 11:02 AM

Nov 2011
how strict are your school regulations? i certainly expect things like
廊下を走ってはならない! and プールサイドを走ってはならない!
to be common rules, but probably not things like
廊下を歩くときは壁に沿って右側を歩くこと!
本を読みながらの歩行は禁止!
or
生徒は始業10分前に教室に入るべし!

Paprika school from pripara is pretty strict... and its only a middle school.
you can read the list of the rules and regulations here:
http://osborne.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/11/03/232416

Jul 13, 2019 7:41 AM

Mar 2019
I have another language quæstion I guess, a short 6 second clip

https://www.speakpipe.com/voice-recorder/msg/i4m4mhl66ye1pndx

I have four different renderings of the same word in four different phonological systems; could you order them for me in terms of "easiest" to "least easy" to understand for you?

— Bertrand Russell
Jul 15, 2019 4:59 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:
ever tried cheating, or know someone who tried cheating in exams?

as for joining clubs, there is aways 帰宅部
(on a side note, japanese language is fun in how words are chosen to mean something.
if there is a club member that doesnt participate in the club's activities, we call it "inactive member" in english, but in japanese they are referred as "ghost/spectre/phantom members")
In middle school there were students cheating.
Jul 15, 2019 5:06 AM
Jul 2018
DreamingBeats said:
how strict are your school regulations? i certainly expect things like
廊下を走ってはならない! and プールサイドを走ってはならない!
to be common rules, but probably not things like
廊下を歩くときは壁に沿って右側を歩くこと!
本を読みながらの歩行は禁止!
or
生徒は始業10分前に教室に入るべし!

Paprika school from pripara is pretty strict... and its only a middle school.
you can read the list of the rules and regulations here:
http://osborne.hatenablog.com/entry/2014/11/03/232416
Not really strict. There are dress codes like black or white socks only etc.

Wow what a school lol.
Pages (16) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you hide or deny your dark side to others or society?

deg - 4 hours ago

8 by Zettaiken »»
29 minutes ago

» which country would you NOT want to visit? ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Mar 27

67 by Rhaelynne »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Is intelligence overrated?

pludel2 - Mar 29

28 by tsukareru »»
46 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Apr 24

33 by elgatosaika »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Apr 24

31 by tsukareru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.