Forum Settings
Forums

Will Sorachi become one of the GOATs with an unprecedented 5 times in a row?

New
Will Sorachi become on of the GOATs with an unprecedented 5 times in a row?
May 31, 2019 11:15 AM

Nov 2007
We all know that Sorachi Hideaki (Oh boy, if you don't know already, he is the author of Gintama) has been voted as the fans' most favourite mangaka in Japan for four years straight (2015-2018) in some of the largest ever polls conducted on Japanese manga readers by Charapedia – one of the largest resources of Japanese anime and manga related database.

Source: Charapedia

Do you think Sorachi-sensei has the 5th one in a row in the bag? I think he will get it not only because Japanese fans seem to adore him despite of him being a troll gorilla but due to the overall extremely positive reaction on chapters 702 and 703 from them.

Anyways, do you guys consider Sorachi-sensei as the GOAT or one of the GOATs? Please share your thoughts if you think he deserves more recognition in the West for creating Gintama.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 31, 2019 11:26 AM

Jan 2012
Well I never seen his real face nor do I personaliy know him, But consider all the golden comedy and ironi that he gives to his work, He seems like a guy that you can relate to in many ways.
How I love a game
May 31, 2019 11:32 AM

Nov 2007
Zack312 said:
Well I never seen his real face nor do I personaliy know him, But consider all the golden comedy and ironi that he gives to his work, He seems like a guy that you can relate to in many ways.

That's so true. He can make the most mundane of stuff to absolute matter of joke and then make another mundane stuff to make you reflect on your own life and stop for a second to think "were I thankful enough?". He is a bloody genius.
Coronavirus.
May 31, 2019 12:08 PM

Dec 2017
Well, it doesn't matter that he is popular on polls or whatever. He is the GOAT for me at least. Gorilla is the almighty being who created gintama, other mangakas are just humans.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

May 31, 2019 1:24 PM

Mar 2017
Yes. Chapter 702 and 703 were really great and I am expecting the next chapter would be better than those two because it most likely would be about Gintoki and Shouyo sensei.
May 31, 2019 4:56 PM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
High chance, since Sorachi always ranked first with a pretty heavy difference. He had almost 200 votes more than Ishida and Oda, which was around a 35% difference. I don't really think Sorachi ranks high because of Gintama only though, especially when Gintama sells significantly less than the other mangaka's works in the list, plus Sorachi's a less of an industry influence than someone like Toriyama or Takahashi. But because of his troll-like personality, everyone seems to love him as a person. It's hard to dislike someone been playing Shueisha like a fiddle with all these constant publication move arounds, solely because he wants to perfectly end his series and not finish it in a half-assed manner. Pretty sure this whole thing has caused more people to find Sorachi pretty amusing.
Jun 19, 2019 10:53 PM

Nov 2007
^is it only that though?

If you read the comments from the fans, you'd see they love him because of his understanding of how human psychology works, his ability of use of words, the ability to inject rge right amount of everything in his stories - emotions, fun and entertainment, not to mention the incredible art throughout the years, which in all honesty, improved over the years unlike other long running manga.
Coronavirus.
Jun 20, 2019 8:29 AM

Aug 2015
i mean probably, his manga ending this year and all
Jun 20, 2019 9:46 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
shanimebib said:
^is it only that though?

If you read the comments from the fans, you'd see they love him because of his understanding of how human psychology works, his ability of use of words, the ability to inject rge right amount of everything in his stories - emotions, fun and entertainment, not to mention the incredible art throughout the years, which in all honesty, improved over the years unlike other long running manga.
It's definitely not only because of his personality and for sure the content of his manga has a part in his high popularity. But although Gintama has good sales, there's not high enough for most people to be familiar with his works. In the 2018 top 10, other than Tsubaki-sensei, all of the other mangaka have a better selling series than Gintama. And considering the immense amount of votes he gets, a good chunk of these votes probably comes from people who aren't familiar with his works, but like the type of person he is.

Had people only voted solely for the quality of their own works, then it would've been hard for Sorachi to beat someone like Oda, since OP sells at least 8x more than Gintama, and according to Amazon.jp review, OP seems to get more consistently positive reception. Of course, that doesn't really confirm anything, and for sure most readers of Gintama would've voted for him because he's such a good writer. But Sorachi's also got a lot of popularity and appreciation from those that haven't read his manga, because he just seems like a fun guy.
Feb 15, 2020 5:40 PM

Nov 2007
I think I need to update the results of 2019 because it has been out since forever.

Well, you guys all guessed it right.

Source: Charapedia
Coronavirus.
Feb 19, 2020 4:05 PM

Jun 2015
OMG.. Sorachi is actually very popular?! I thought with the strength of One Piece, people will favor in Oda-sensei. I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who loves Sorachi and Gintama.
Feb 19, 2020 4:23 PM

Nov 2007
YosepRA said:
OMG.. Sorachi is actually very popular?! I thought with the strength of One Piece, people will favor in Oda-sensei. I'm really glad that I'm not the only one who loves Sorachi and Gintama.

I was just guessing when I said Sorachi would probably become the GOAT when he wins an unprecedented 5 in a row. He actually went and did it.
Coronavirus.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama Chapter 487 Discussion

SilentTruth - Mar 26, 2014

6 by GreatestSaltboy »»
Apr 12, 3:02 AM

Poll: » JUMP MV /『Gintama』×『Samurai Heart (Some Like It Hot!!)』| SPYAIR

LittleStar - Jan 6

0 by LittleStar »»
Jan 6, 10:06 AM

Poll: » JUMP MV /『Gintama』×『Shura』| DOES

LittleStar - Jan 6

0 by LittleStar »»
Jan 6, 10:00 AM

» Gintama, the popularity vote has started! Who will you vote for?

kihel - Dec 18, 2023

2 by mokkocchi »»
Dec 19, 2023 1:22 AM

Poll: » Gintama Chapter 142 Discussion

VARIAchan - Feb 1, 2011

3 by tcandy19 »»
Jul 1, 2023 10:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.