Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 2, 2019 7:22 PM

Oct 2018
It seems nowadays I find myself becoming more and more misanthropic each day. Finding redeemable qualities in people is tiring because most don't have any. I guess I struggle to see how humanity as a whole has done any good whatsoever. It really does seem we're all on this Earth to rot, and rot it away.

Of course, I know a majority of people would disagree with me. With that being said, how do you find the good in anyone when it seems all we're capable of doing is fucking things up and backstabbing one another. Constant arguments and meaningless, unfulfilled lives are the norm. Is there a way to change this?

i'm a worm
May 2, 2019 7:54 PM

Jan 2009
its just so easy to be bad or think bad (because of our negativity bias) especially on the internet but if you are mentally healthy then i recommend you go out more in real life since people out there tries to be at least kind most of the time
May 2, 2019 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
There is good in people if you search for it. Only question is whether you think it's worth the time, money and energy. And yes money. If you're broke, the people who give a shit about you outside immediate family plummets like a pile of bricks.

Either way,this is a judgment only you can make for yourself OP. Giving a shit actually requires commitment. And some people aren't cut out for that and live alone. They don't want to deal with the bullshit. And what the hell can I say to that?

Maybe that's what you need. Some damn alone time. Anyway I'm rambling but no one here will have the answer because there is no set answer.
May 2, 2019 8:56 PM

Sep 2018
humans are shit. i welcome our robot overlords :-)

eh, circumstances drive people not to be their best selves and holding what they already know against them isn't going to make anything better. Read a book about this and it said something along the lines of: we find ways to put others down on anything because it gives us some meaning of sorts to conclude that we're better than them (at least for this small moment) because we are not content with ourselves
May 2, 2019 9:20 PM

Apr 2013
Eh the same can be said when others look at you, your misanthropy is a bad aspect and if it overtakes the way you look at others it will blind you from the good they have, as it will blind others to the good you have. Yet it is fine to be a bit cynical and know that all humans have both good and evil sometimes it is hard to find that good but it's there.

Ascended Taste
I only came back to this site for the forum sets and to promote my RYM list... Anilist ftw still :dab:
May 2, 2019 9:37 PM

Dec 2017
People won't always be shit by the same token that people won't always be nice. Just because it's hard to see the good in the world sometimes doens't mean it isn't there. I know it's hard to see the point in trying to deal with people when it feels like nothing good comes of it: I struggle with that fact every day. The best thing I can say about this is that you aren't alone in feeling this way, there are other people who feel like humanity isn't worth saving and that all we do is hurt each other. I understand that feeling, I get that feeling a lot. I honestly struggle with the fact that humanity will most likely be it's own downfall and most people are unwilling to prevent that because they're too focused on themselves and what is best for them to realize that only helping yourself is a shortsighted endeavor that ultimately creates more problems down the line. Sometimes I honestly say to myself that it would be better if humans never existed in the first place, or if we all just disappeared, there'd be no more suffering that way, no more cycles of mistakes and hatred that cause us all to feel like shit no matter what we do, like we're fucked no matter the option we take. But then I realize that if I had never lived, if humanity never existed I'd have never learned what it meant to feel happiness and if we all just disappeared I'd never feel happiness again. I know we can't exactly justify all the suffering by linking all the happy moments in a rosary, but at the same time, calling a life where you only acknowledge the suffering isn't much of a life at all. Sometimes you need a little bit of wishful thinking to keep going, like "I know that I won't always have happiness, or even know where to find it, but if I keep going maybe I'll find it eventually." I have more to say but I also don't really know how to put it to words right now >.>

Why don’t we become monsters and really mess up this awful world? Just destroy until there’s no more evil, no more sadness, no more anything…
Wouldn’t that be great?

May 3, 2019 12:07 AM

Oct 2018
deg said:
its just so easy to be bad or think bad (because of our negativity bias) especially on the internet but if you are mentally healthy then i recommend you go out more in real life since people out there tries to be at least kind most of the time

Most of my hatred for humanity is fueled by past relationships irl. For me, personally, the internet can have a sense of tranquility to it, because of the anonymity behind it.

And you're right, most people irl tend to fake a smile, as do i. No one is really blatantly rude without some reciprocation of the feeling.

HungryForQuality said:
There is good in people if you search for it. Only question is whether you think it's worth the time, money and energy. And yes money. If you're broke, the people who give a shit about you outside immediate family plummets like a pile of bricks.

Either way,this is a judgment only you can make for yourself OP. Giving a shit actually requires commitment. And some people aren't cut out for that and live alone. They don't want to deal with the bullshit. And what the hell can I say to that?

Maybe that's what you need. Some damn alone time. Anyway I'm rambling but no one here will have the answer because there is no set answer.

Don't you think that's somewhat repulsive? I mean, knowing that no one will interact with you because you don't have money. I mean, i get where you're coming from, and honestly you're speaking the truth. There are social standards in which you have to abide if you ever wanna be someone, or amount to anything at all. Which imo is another downfall of humanity.

And yeah, there really is no answer to this because it is about self motivation, and it seems i have given up myself.

Aidoru-Ojisan said:
Eh the same can be said when others look at you, your misanthropy is a bad aspect and if it overtakes the way you look at others it will blind you from the good they have, as it will blind others to the good you have. Yet it is fine to be a bit cynical and know that all humans have both good and evil sometimes it is hard to find that good but it's there.

That is true, but the thought of people regarding me as a terrible person is fine, and honestly ideal. Since i view myself rather low, and don't hold myself on a higher pedestal.

And I can agree with you that you have to search for the good, but it's so damn tiring, and i'm sick of looking and finding nothing. I'm reading to just lie down and die alone at this rate because i'm truly just done with people. Maybe what is best for me is solitary.

Tahmmeow said:
People won't always be shit by the same token that people won't always be nice. Just because it's hard to see the good in the world sometimes doens't mean it isn't there. I know it's hard to see the point in trying to deal with people when it feels like nothing good comes of it: I struggle with that fact every day. The best thing I can say about this is that you aren't alone in feeling this way, there are other people who feel like humanity isn't worth saving and that all we do is hurt each other. I understand that feeling, I get that feeling a lot. I honestly struggle with the fact that humanity will most likely be it's own downfall and most people are unwilling to prevent that because they're too focused on themselves and what is best for them to realize that only helping yourself is a shortsighted endeavor that ultimately creates more problems down the line. Sometimes I honestly say to myself that it would be better if humans never existed in the first place, or if we all just disappeared, there'd be no more suffering that way, no more cycles of mistakes and hatred that cause us all to feel like shit no matter what we do, like we're fucked no matter the option we take. But then I realize that if I had never lived, if humanity never existed I'd have never learned what it meant to feel happiness and if we all just disappeared I'd never feel happiness again. I know we can't exactly justify all the suffering by linking all the happy moments in a rosary, but at the same time, calling a life where you only acknowledge the suffering isn't much of a life at all. Sometimes you need a little bit of wishful thinking to keep going, like "I know that I won't always have happiness, or even know where to find it, but if I keep going maybe I'll find it eventually." I have more to say but I also don't really know how to put it to words right now >.>

Honestly, you put my entire thought process into words. I go by day-to-day thinking how better off the world would be without us. It seems us, as a species, will always find something to hate each other for. I just don't get how people haven't been able to learn from past mistakes after all these years. All we can do is continue to repeat history in a different era. It's honestly pathetic, and I'll truly never understand it.

Issue with me is i don't have this happiness to hold onto. Most of the things that used to bring be happiness have faded away, and with past events pouring fuel on the fire, it doesn't seem to help. I mean, you know me a little, we've talked before. I have things in my life that i should be happy about, but I'm not. I don't know if this is my own greed for more, if i'm truly doomed to this pessimism.

i'm a worm
May 3, 2019 12:29 AM

Jan 2017
environment and what you expose yourself to.
it is indeed true that you are a product of who and what you surround yourself with.
people tend to rub off each other without knowing.

my advice would be to find “good” people. it’s difficult, but worth it.
like @HungryForQuality said, if u can’t find others, learn to be on your own.
“goodness” comes from within anyway.
May 3, 2019 8:33 AM

Jul 2010
izu- said:
How do you find the good in anyone when it seems all we're capable of doing is fucking things up and backstabbing one another. Constant arguments and meaningless, unfulfilled lives are the norm. Is there a way to change this?

It is true that humanity as a whole is not really something to celebrate. Yes, you're a in world filled with criminals, greedy capitalists, idiots lacking critical thinking, and what not. But you're still clearly overly negative. And if you do not make any effort to get out of this hole, it is not humanity fault. You're the one tormenting yourself. Even if you seem to doubt it, they are more than a few decent human beings. You only need to be selective with people alongside you, and disregard the rest. If you're still in high school, you have yet to even be in a good environment to meet decent mature people. If you would choose to study in something like applied science, you would already see a difference.

May 3, 2019 9:07 AM

Jun 2015
theres good in everyone man. sometimes its not worth it to look for it though.
May 3, 2019 9:41 AM

Nov 2013
i've found the people at my work who are most critical of others are often the most insecure, inconsistent and outright negative people that i've ever met. they have no practice giving out compliments whatsoever and i don't think they'd even know where to start giving someone praise. it's extremely difficulty for me to imagine their usefullness up and come up with convoluted reasons that allows me to see the good in them. if you go toward their end of the scale i just think you are doing yourself a disservice and severely limiting your life. no hand will reach to pull you up if you spend your life biting fingers off.

i do believe there is a line that you can cross with people where finding good in them is too exhausting, and the result of seeing the good in them doesn't bring any positive change to your life. domestic violence cases can be notoriously hard to escalate to a prosecution because people exhaust themselves to see the good in their partner and they pay such a cost for it. it's total bullshit that seeing the good in everyone will make you happier/positive or that you will benefit from it. i think everyone should try initally to see things from another perspective and where 'good' may exist, but i wouldn't do it to the point where it's your daily life and how you cope with someone elses actions.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 3, 2019 9:54 AM

Oct 2018
Sad said:
i've found the people at my work who are most critical of others are often the most insecure, inconsistent and outright negative people that i've ever met. they have no practice giving out compliments whatsoever and i don't think they'd even know where to start giving someone praise. it's extremely difficulty for me to imagine their usefullness up and come up with convoluted reasons that allows me to see the good in them. if you go toward their end of the scale i just think you are doing yourself a disservice and severely limiting your life. no hand will reach to pull you up if you spend your life biting fingers off.

i do believe there is a line that you can cross with people where finding good in them is too exhausting, and the result of seeing the good in them doesn't bring any positive change to your life. domestic violence cases can be notoriously hard to escalate to a prosecution because people exhaust themselves to see the good in their partner and they pay such a cost for it. it's total bullshit that seeing the good in everyone will make you happier/positive or that you will benefit from it. i think everyone should try initally to see things from another perspective and where 'good' may exist, but i wouldn't do it to the point where it's your daily life and how you cope with someone elses actions.

I'm a little different than the people you mentioned, because I'm fully capable of faking a smile. I can be fake, and nice to everyone around me without feeling anything. That's what i typically do, and that's the part that i guess I find the most tiring. Is maintaining this persona that is so far from my actual personality. But, when i even consider being myself, I realize how horrible of a person i truly am. I quite like how you worded that as well,
"No hand will reach to pull you up, if you spend your life biting fingers off."
I agree with you, I just wish I didn't internally feel like 'biting the fingers off' of everyone around me.

That's a great analogy. Really hits close to home actually. But, it is in our nature to depend on others for happiness, or survival even. Even with that being said, I just have a feeling that it's not for me. Maybe instead of complaining about it i should just peruse a life of solitary. But if i did that, I know i'd just find a way to complain about being lonely. So I'm not even sure what i want at this point, or what i'm truly looking for. Guess I'll live my days lost inside my own head lol.

Thanks for the insight though

i'm a worm
May 3, 2019 9:58 AM

Oct 2018
We're the biggest plague in the world.

On the bright side:
There's still kind hearted people out there who will take the time to ask ya how your day is and not just to sound polite but cause they actually give a damn about ya and are wlling to lend a hand when needed.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
May 3, 2019 10:40 AM

Oct 2016
I see the good in people by not having my vision blurred due to being a sulky whiner. You might get backstabbed, offended and whatnot but you should also be upfront enough to talk things you don't approve of out with the people around you. Your mind tells you to keep away from persons who did you wrong, even if the issue might be completely insignificant after logically thinking about it. Understanding someone's motives by interacting with them can improve your general outlook on your enviroment and lessen your tendencies of pushing personal values of what's good and bad on other people. A person's actions aren't necessarily revealing their intentions.

May 3, 2019 11:13 AM
Feb 2017
Honestly, I've become more of an observer of human actions than actually partaking in conversations and actions. From what I have observed, I don't like most people. People can be good, but there is a difference between "being good" and "living good". You can be nice and open the door for someone, but if that is all you do and you live a life of a jerk, then you were just "being good"."Living good" is a different concept entirely. You don't expect something from others, you do things out of kindness, you look for the best in the worst of people, you put other people before your own desires, stuff like that. Here's the problem: most, if not all people are stuck on the "being good" concept.

I would not say I'm a master at "living good", heck I have many flaws, but I at least try to live the lifestyle, and trying is better than not trying at all. I would say the best remedy with trying to find the good in others is by befriending them, and if you can't do that then try to show kindness towards them. Attacking someone with violence only leads to more violence, but if you be peaceful and try to slowly break down their barriers of filth, you will probably prevail. A good example would be MLK Jr. Instead of taking a Malcolm X approach, he decided to handle his problems through peace instead of violence.

But even so, I agree with you in that every day I slowly start hating humanity more. But it's the good in people that keeps me hopeful, not the bad.
May 3, 2019 12:19 PM

Jul 2016
People who make nudes are good. They want people to feel good.

All erotic work is the most commendable!
May 3, 2019 12:57 PM

Nov 2016
I used to be of this view when I was living alone. Now, after 2 years of living with other people, it's safe to say that ... people are indeed problematic but it's mostly worth tolerating their problems because most people, believe me, are good. The little problems they bring can be fixed by example, not by reprimanding because that's an amateur mistake. If they don't get a hint, tell them politely and you'll rarely see them do it again.

What about people you don't live with? Again, I like to work on the assumption that people are genuinely good but it's the alien, impersonal, circumstances that makes people behave in inhuman ways. So the first thing I do in any social setting is crack a joke about something very mundane and embarrassing. It disarms everyone.

All of this, I'll admit, won't work unless you have friends. Because ultimately this is just an extension of what you do with your friends. You have to behave as if everyone is your friend, but also keep in mind the limits. Kind of a balancing act but if you get the gist, you've probably got it in you.
May 3, 2019 1:03 PM

Jun 2015
IpreferEcchi said:

I dated an artist who was very talented but made it explicitely clear that they would only draw lewds for money and they were only doing it to get paid. Is that still "most commendable"?
May 3, 2019 1:05 PM

Aug 2012
Thanakos said:

What about people you don't live with? Again, I like to work on the assumption that people are genuinely good but it's the alien, impersonal, circumstances that makes people behave in inhuman ways. So the first thing I do in any social setting is crack a joke about something very mundane and embarrassing. It disarms everyone.

All of this, I'll admit, won't work unless you have friends. Because ultimately this is just an extension of what you do with your friends. You have to behave as if everyone is your friend, but also keep in mind the limits. Kind of a balancing act but if you get the gist, you've probably got it in you.

One thing I did the moment I entered university was voice my opinions. I, as naive as I was, stripped whatever that was proposed to me (any idea, or a question) bare. I gave quite unorthodox arguments and acted as if everyone was my friend (I always play devil's advocate to see what other people think of a topic). Let's just say people around me weren't appreciative of my contributions and well, I was too much for them to handle and a bunch of people started to ignore me because of my apparent "toxicity". Good riddance, I'd say. I don't think acting like friends with everyone is a good idea, hence my anecdote. This can also be applied to jokes.
May 3, 2019 1:13 PM

Jul 2016
xaow said:
IpreferEcchi said:

I dated an artist who was very talented but made it explicitely clear that they would only draw lewds for money and they were only doing it to get paid. Is that still "most commendable"?

I'm talking about people who are naturally inclined to do it. That person you speak of thinks it's a shameful thing. They don't have a burning passion.
May 3, 2019 1:13 PM

Jul 2007
Shitty people make the world interesting. There's this group of yobs that gather outside the bus stop around 3-4pm every day while I'm at work. All they ever do is get into fights and screech at each other. The same people, almost every day. Maybe they enjoy it or something, I know I do.
May 3, 2019 1:14 PM

Jun 2015
IpreferEcchi said:
xaow said:

I'm talking about people who are naturally inclined to do it. That person you speak of thinks it's a shameful thing.

nah, they didnt think it was shameful. More that it was work and they didnt want to do it for free.
May 3, 2019 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
I don't know most people, so just assume nothing without context. Did you hear that someone was a jerk again? Or did something unforgivable? That was based on someone else's words and point of view. Likely someone who hates said person. Did you come across someone do/said something mean to someone else? There's likely a legitimate reason. However, there's likely a weak justification, all the same. Don't assume anything. That's all. Don't say most people are irredeemable, you don't know that. You are saying that out of the small experience in humanity you have compared to the millions you never heard of.
May 3, 2019 1:16 PM

Jul 2016
xaow said:
nah, they didnt think it was shameful. More that it was work and they didnt want to do it for free.

IpreferEcchi said:
I'm talking about people who are naturally inclined to do it.

They don't have a natural inclination if they feel like it's work and won't do it for free.
May 3, 2019 1:33 PM

Nov 2016
Yarub said:
Thanakos said:

One thing I did the moment I entered university was voice my opinions. I, as naive as I was, stripped whatever that was proposed to me (any idea, or a question) bare. I gave quite unorthodox arguments and acted as if everyone was my friend (I always play devil's advocate to see what other people think of a topic). Let's just say people around me weren't appreciative of my contributions and well, I was too much for them to handle and a bunch of people started to ignore me because of my apparent "toxicity". Good riddance, I'd say. I don't think acting like friends with everyone is a good idea, hence my anecdote. This can also be applied to jokes.

I was very much the same, especially since I was an atheist (not accurately but whatever) in a Muslim country. I used to get into a lot of debates early on too, and I really did establish myself as the Devil's Advocate but it was unnecessary. Ideology, philosophy, politics -- these are poor foundations for friendships. You don't get along with people who have the same views; you get along with people who have the same emotions. That's the lesson I've learned in my University life. There were of course some people I could never get along with, debates or not. But that was a difference in temperament, not views. To this day, I walk around with friends who may never understand my views, who in fact try to avoid debating with me on certain topics, but who are nonetheless valuable for what they contribute to my life. You have to understand that most people don't see learning as their primary objective in life and that's perfectly fine, because we, the high-flown intellectuals, who do see learning as our life goal are nonetheless absolute shit in a lot of things that these 'commoners' can handle as if it's their second nature. I don't know how wide your circle of friends is but in my case, I've seen so much diversity that I've just stopped thinking I'm special in any fucking way.
May 3, 2019 1:50 PM

Aug 2012
Thanakos said:
Yarub said:

I was very much the same, especially since I was an atheist (not accurately but whatever) in a Muslim country. I used to get into a lot of debates early on too, and I really did establish myself as the Devil's Advocate but it was unnecessary. Ideology, philosophy, politics -- these are poor foundations for friendships. You don't get along with people who have the same views; you get along with people who have the same emotions. That's the lesson I've learned in my University life. There were of course some people I could never get along with, debates or not. But that was a difference in temperament, not views. To this day, I walk around with friends who may never understand my views, who in fact try to avoid debating with me on certain topics, but who are nonetheless valuable for what they contribute to my life. You have to understand that most people don't see learning as their primary objective in life and that's perfectly fine, because we, the high-flown intellectuals, who do see learning as our life goal are nonetheless absolute shit in a lot of things that these 'commoners' can handle as if it's their second nature. I don't know how wide your circle of friends is but in my case, I've seen so much diversity that I've just stopped thinking I'm special in any fucking way.

Yup, after 1 year I learned to do the samething you just stated. I ignored the guys that didn't like me very much due to our initial encounters and hung out with a bunch of other people. Almost all them do not find solace in arguing about anything except whether how yesterday's football match was fair or not. I learned to tone it down around them and just have fun in their company. What's surprising was among the previous guys that now don't particularly like me, a guy still approaches me and we hang out. He does seem to enjoy my rants that I have with him even though he doesn't partake in any of them, off-topic but took me by surprise. My friends circle (as I identify it) seems to be abit over a dozen individuals that I developed adequate to high relations with. That's actually too true, high school is nothing compared to university in terms of diversity. If you're a high school hot shot, wait till university and there's a 90% chance you'll learn that you're not so much of a special person after all.
May 3, 2019 2:44 PM

Aug 2013
Well you hae an advantage, when you will find a person who you stay good together(partner, friend ecc....) you probably feel an intense satisfation for this relationship
Anyway I don't think we must find the good in each person, it's ok also if someone don't like us.
May 3, 2019 4:28 PM

Jan 2009
izu- said:
deg said:

Most of my hatred for humanity is fueled by past relationships irl. For me, personally, the internet can have a sense of tranquility to it, because of the anonymity behind it.

And you're right, most people irl tend to fake a smile, as do i. No one is really blatantly rude without some reciprocation of the feeling.

bad experiences then, we are social creatures though, i know you know that success is not easy (or at times comes down to luck) and its just so easy to fail like to give up (or even suicide in extreme cases) so just try and try until you find just few friends that you can lean on or else you will risk yourself going into a vicious cycle like loneliness that will lead to a lot of physical and mental problems like depression

for the time being i say try having pets (pet therapy is helpful for satisfying that social being that we are too)

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bluey is the most watched anime in the world now

tsukareru - Yesterday

27 by Dracowyn »»
41 minutes ago

» Dracula, Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde or Frankenstein(books)?

Absurdo_N - Apr 23

11 by xthewarwithinx »»
57 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

23 by Ejrodiew »»
1 hour ago

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

676 by Hitagi__Furude »»
1 hour ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

43 by LordSozin »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.