Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 20, 2019 1:39 PM
Jul 2018
Well, I am actually looking for subtle romance manga. I want to read something with a tiny bit of romance that doesn't change your focus on the main plot. That means no drama and stupid immature characters (in relationship sense I mean, emotionally unstable character). But well, I don't want people come at me recommending something I hate, AGAIN. So, I just want to ask for hint of romance. Something like Shinrei Tantei Yakumo and Liar Game.

When I read for 'romance', I just want to see two characters grow closer and closer while solving the problems they face together.

PS : please no love triangle, homo, lesbi or lolicon.

Thanks
removed-userApr 20, 2019 6:00 PM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 21, 2019 8:56 AM

Oct 2016
Heey

Uhmm can't look in your list but you've seen alot so first a friend request so i can get true if your alright with that it's hard now to give u advice XD because it's pretty much possible that u've seen it:

anyhow The rising shield hero if you haven't seen that one yet
Sword art online
Goblin slayer
Tokyo ghoul
Is it wrong to pick up a girl in a dungeon

I think I should be kinda your disiple u've seen alot amazing :D

Apr 21, 2019 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
MaxfighterXD said:
Heey

Uhmm can't look in your list but you've seen alot so first a friend request so i can get true if your alright with that it's hard now to give u advice XD because it's pretty much possible that u've seen it:

anyhow The rising shield hero if you haven't seen that one yet
Sword art online
Goblin slayer
Tokyo ghoul
Is it wrong to pick up a girl in a dungeon

I think I should be kinda your disiple u've seen alot amazing :D

Hi

I mainly use this site for listing and looking for recommendations. And I rarely talk with others ^^.

Also, I have tried them all. None of them fits what I am looking for though.
Apr 21, 2019 9:12 PM

Oct 2016
Heey

That's alright hope u find some anime. still to watch because u've seen so much I feel kinda like a young padawan (a learner in anime) in comparison to u.

I didn't what to recommadate because I thought u deffinetly have seen them xD.

Hope u find some still some cool animes to watch there still good animes coming out I really liked Demon slayer the new spring anime good luck on your journey :).
Apr 21, 2019 11:00 PM

Jan 2019
Some of the mainstream manga which fit your requirements:
-All you need is kill
-Annarasummanara
-Koe No Katachi (Manga version is way better than the anime)
-Bastard
-Iris Zero
-The Breaker
-The Breaker :New waves (Ignore this if you hate Harem)
-Koganeiro

Just hit me back if you have read them already and I'll try to filter out some more.
-RogueApr 21, 2019 11:03 PM
Apr 22, 2019 12:11 AM
Jul 2018
@MaxfighterXD Thanks. I appreciated your willing to help :)

-Rogue said:
Some of the mainstream manga which fit your requirements:
-All you need is kill
-Annarasummanara
-Koe No Katachi (Manga version is way better than the anime)
-Bastard
-Iris Zero
-The Breaker
-The Breaker :New waves (Ignore this if you hate Harem)
-Koganeiro

Just hit me back if you have read them already and I'll try to filter out some more.

Thanks. Almost all of them don't fit my requirements though.

First, I am not sure about the Breaker since The Breaker New Waves is a harem and this is made by Korean, we know Korean loves drama. Second, I am not looking for actual romance, but just a close relationship that's vague till the end.

1. All you need is kill has some kind of love triangle in the middle, but it doesn't take long to be shot down, so yeah.
2. Annarasumanara also has some kind of love triangle if you count the relationship of the girl and the main guy and the classmates.
3. Koe no Katachi oneshot yes, that's actually what I want. But I am not sure about the series since the anime movie has some kind of love triangle.
4. Bastard. Yes, this is definitely one of my favorite and doesn't contain love triangle. It's still an actual romance though.
5. Iris Zero. Iris Zero has some kind of love triangle later on. I wished it was finished before the third wheel appears.

And yes, I hate love triangle and harem. I can only enjoy harem with lots of sex scenes and without annoying character.

I'll try checking Koganeiro.

What I want is something like Tonari no Seki-kun, Pinks and Song of the Long March where the relationship is vague till the end, we know they are more than friend but less than lover and no one insterested in any of the couple respectively in the series. Something like Shinrei Tantei Yakumo that has some kind of love triangle since another character is interested in the female lead is fine though since the man rarely even appears, and he never does anything to approach the girl. Or like Liar Game where no one tries to push themselves to the one she likes and the show barely even brings out the interest of these girls, and even if it does, it's vague.
removed-userApr 22, 2019 9:17 AM
Apr 23, 2019 3:55 PM

Jan 2019
Ah okay, I get it. Finding something like this is going to be quite bit difficult.
Here are some of the ones which might fit your criteria:
-Classroom of Elite (Anime/ Light Novel)
-Noragami (The Anime ver. is probably what you are looking for)
-Blame! (Manga)
Apr 23, 2019 6:15 PM
Jul 2018
-Rogue said:
Ah okay, I get it. Finding something like this is going to be quite bit difficult.
Here are some of the ones which might fit your criteria:
-Classroom of Elite (Anime/ Light Novel)
-Noragami (The Anime ver. is probably what you are looking for)
-Blame! (Manga)

1. I'll try classroom of elite
2. Noragami has love triangle if you count the father. I dropped it after 45s chapters. Thr father is a bit aggressive, I mean that stolen kiss.
3. I've finished Blame!. Not really something I am looking for atm despite it's definitely one of my favorites.

Thanks

Edit : I'll cancel Classroom of elite, it looks like a harem LN adaptation.
removed-userApr 23, 2019 6:22 PM
Apr 23, 2019 9:26 PM

Jan 2019
Forgot to add in my previous post, but maybe Gangsta is similar to what you are looking for.
Apr 23, 2019 10:07 PM
Jul 2018
-Rogue said:
Forgot to add in my previous post, but maybe Gangsta is similar to what you are looking for.

About Gangsta, I am currently reading it. The woman cares about Nicholas and Worrick equally so if the relationship among them were seen as romantic or hint of romance, it would be a love triangle. So it doesn't fit what I want for that reason. Still, I am glad that I see it more as friendship and the woman rarely appear so I am still reading it.

Btw, I know what I am looking for is hard to find. Believe me, I have been looking for this such a manga, exploring mangaupdate tags and browsing so many recommendation thread in MAL, MU, reddit, novelupdates and other forums for years (since 2012) only to find few of them. I had a low hope to find any that fits my preference to that detail when I was starting actively reading manga, and I was surprised finding some. So I created this thread in hoping someone who has read something that fits these requirements could tell me about it. There might be some of them out there I haven't heard about.
removed-userApr 23, 2019 10:17 PM
Apr 24, 2019 8:10 AM

Oct 2018
Act-age is a really good manga, but it is more recent and isn't finished yet (I'm pretty sure). The romance aspect is not really present yet, but there are some hints if it. I guess some people might count it a little bit of a "love triangle" but again the romance aspect hasn't really developed yet so we can't know for sure.
link: https://myanimelist.net/manga/112115/Act-age?q=act
Apr 24, 2019 8:12 AM

Oct 2018
QQ Sweeper might also work too and it's sequel Queen's Quality.
link: https://myanimelist.net/manga/67397/QQ_Sweeper
Apr 24, 2019 8:19 AM

May 2013
Maybe try Resurrection Princess.

https://myanimelist.net/manga/424/Kaibutsu_Oujo (convoluted mess at times)

Truly a Divine Comedy
Apr 24, 2019 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
XxYumeHimexX said:

Aw what does that mean?. Well, I guess I'll try this since it's short.

About Act-Age, Does the third character also show up often?. If yes, I'll just wait until it finish.

KreatorX said:

Isn't it a harem ?

Thanks guys
removed-userApr 24, 2019 12:44 PM
Apr 24, 2019 3:53 PM

Oct 2018
Iyya said:
XxYumeHimexX said:

About Act-Age, Does the third character also show up often?. If yes, I'll just wait until it finish.

KreatorX said:

Isn't it a harem ?

Thanks guys

In QQ Sweeper and Queen's Quality there isn't a third guy. (I'm pretty sure, but I haven't read it for a long time so don't take my word for it.) About the guy your talking about, he's more of like the guardian type of person so he isn't involved in the romance.

In Act-age it's more like she has two or three male acquaintances, but no labels have really been put up due to the fact that the girl isn't really interested in love because she's so focused on her acting career and providing for her siblings. So far one guy is implied that he could be a potential love candidate and the other (who doesn't appear until the third or fourth "ark") is very blunt and forward with the girl, but the girl continues to say no.
Apr 24, 2019 4:31 PM

Oct 2018
Kobato might actually work too and Piece and maybe
Kobato: https://myanimelist.net/manga/118/Kobato
Piece: https://myanimelist.net/manga/20315/Piece
Apr 25, 2019 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
XxYumeHimexX said:
Iyya said:

Isn't it a harem ?

Thanks guys

In QQ Sweeper and Queen's Quality there isn't a third guy. (I'm pretty sure, but I haven't read it for a long time so don't take my word for it.) About the guy your talking about, he's more of like the guardian type of person so he isn't involved in the romance.

In Act-age it's more like she has two or three male acquaintances, but no labels have really been put up due to the fact that the girl isn't really interested in love because she's so focused on her acting career and providing for her siblings. So far one guy is implied that he could be a potential love candidate and the other (who doesn't appear until the third or fourth "ark") is very blunt and forward with the girl, but the girl continues to say no.

There was a third guy, I bet he plays more role in the sequels. I don't like the prequel enough, so I guess that's it. Without that character, despite the art style buggged me, I would have like this manga more and it would have fit my requirements for sure. But yeah, it ends up just like how Shoujo manga is.

About Kobato and Piece, I don't think they fit what I want after reading the description since I want the romance to be just vague until the end. No actual confession or something like that. Maybe just holding hand or the characters are walking together at the end of the chapter.

I appreciated your recommendation but I just think that it's way too risky for me to try a long shoujo or manga written by female authors, unless I am really really sure I will like it. I may check them up later, but not now.

So far one guy is implied that he could be a potential love candidate and the other (who doesn't appear until the third or fourth "ark") is very blunt and forward with the girl, but the girl continues to say no.

But they appear often right? Oh yeah, he is very blunt and forward. I guess it will annoy me.
removed-userApr 25, 2019 5:53 AM
Apr 25, 2019 8:22 AM

Jan 2019
Iyya said:

Btw, I know what I am looking for is hard to find. Believe me, I have been looking for this such a manga, exploring mangaupdate tags and browsing so many recommendation thread in MAL, MU, reddit, novelupdates and other forums for years (since 2012) only to find few of them. I had a low hope to find any that fits my preference to that detail when I was starting actively reading manga, and I was surprised finding some. So I created this thread in hoping someone who has read something that fits these requirements could tell me about it. There might be some of them out there I haven't heard about.

No, I get it. Sometimes it's obvious for us to get obsessed into searching a niche manga/anime though, it's laborious and time-consuming. But usually, it's worth it. I hope you find something worth your patience.

Anyways, should give Death Parade a try if you haven't watched it yet. Though it's an anime but it fits exactly in your criteria imo.
-RogueApr 25, 2019 8:33 AM
Apr 25, 2019 10:16 AM
Jul 2018
-Rogue said:
Iyya said:

No, I get it. Sometimes it's obvious for us to get obsessed into searching a niche manga/anime though, it's laborious and time-consuming. But usually, it's worth it. I hope you find something worth your patience.

Anyways, should give Death Parade a try if you haven't watched it yet. Though it's an anime but it fits exactly in your criteria imo.

Thanks.

Death Parade, I have seen the anime and yes, something like Death Parade will do. That's exactly the type that I want.
Apr 25, 2019 12:42 PM

Nov 2007
Gin no Saji. The subtle romance between Hachiken and Mikage is pretty sweet. The focus always remains coming-of-age.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Apr 25, 2019 2:37 PM
Jul 2018
shanimebib said:
Gin no Saji. The subtle romance between Hachiken and Mikage is pretty sweet. The focus always remains coming-of-age.

I am reading it. It's official now so it's an actual romance.
If anything, I want something like Dagashi Kashi without its love triangle if you know what I mean.
But for subtle romance, I like Gin no Saji.
Apr 30, 2019 5:17 PM
Jul 2018
Bump
Still looking something like this to read
Apr 30, 2019 7:57 PM

May 2012
Oh, you again. Hi there. ;)

Ghost Hunt

It's been a few years since I last read the manga, but I at least believe to recall that both protagonists have had a smilar sort of dynamic between them like the "couple" in Liar Game. Sometimes a bit juvenile, but nothing too dramatic and not at all too excessive. The Light Novel handled the little squabbles a bit more maturely, iirc. It doesn't really detract from its main objective, which is solving the mystery/horror cases though.

Noée
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Apr 30, 2019 8:26 PM
Jul 2018
crescensXG said:
Oh, you again. Hi there. ;)

Ghost Hunt

It's been a few years since I last read the manga, but I at least believe to recall that both protagonists have had a smilar sort of dynamic between them like the "couple" in Liar Game. Sometimes a bit juvenile, but nothing too dramatic and not at all too excessive. The Light Novel handled the little squabbles a bit more maturely, iirc. It doesn't really detract from its main objective, which is solving the mystery/horror cases though.

Noée

Well, as long as I remember from the anime, there's someone else who likes Naru, the kimono girl.
Apr 30, 2019 8:47 PM

May 2012
Sorry for my memory deficiencies, Iyya. It's been five years and therefore very possible to overlook/forget a few things. You are also a hard to please... meanie. ;)

Best of luck, hon.

Noée
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Apr 30, 2019 11:55 PM
Jul 2018
crescensXG said:
Sorry for my memory deficiencies, Iyya. It's been five years and therefore very possible to overlook/forget a few things. You are also a hard to please... meanie. ;)

Best of luck, hon.

Noée

It's okay, I am the one who should say sorry for being picky.
But I actually think that I am so easy to please.
I mean, just seeing two opposite sex characters help each other and grow closer is enough to please me. But most people may think it's too simple, and authors tend to throw a third wheel between them.
I like a lot of manga at the start, but most of them turn out to be the way I dislike.
Why is it so necessary to add a third wheel even in a non drama/romance focus story?
But glad, some authors don't do that in some of their manga.
I just recently found Nibiiro no Seishun, another addition to my precious list of my favorite manga.
removed-userApr 30, 2019 11:59 PM
May 4, 2019 9:06 PM
Jul 2018
Bump Bump Bump Bump
May 5, 2019 4:05 AM

Apr 2015
Maybe you could try these two althought they aren't really focused on romance.
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai
Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

Or maybe this one which reminded me a bit of Tonari no Seki-kun but with a little more of romance:
Kuzumi-kun, Kuuki Yometemasu ka?
My candies:
Bonus candy:
May 5, 2019 5:07 AM
Jul 2018
NumbLP said:
Maybe you could try these two althought they aren't really focused on romance.
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai
Oumagadoki Doubutsuen

Or maybe this one which reminded me a bit of Tonari no Seki-kun but with a little more of romance:
Kuzumi-kun, Kuuki Yometemasu ka?

Thanks
I have actually been reading both.
Yugami-kun has many friends now, but I am still enjoying it. I somehow start to feel like it will turn to be something I less like though.

Ah, I missed to mention Oumagadoki Doubutsuen. I personally don't sure since its main character is not a human.
removed-userMay 5, 2019 5:31 AM
May 13, 2019 3:38 AM
Jul 2018
Bump Bump Bump Bump
May 15, 2019 1:11 PM
Jul 2018
Bump Bump Bump Bump
May 15, 2019 2:03 PM

Jan 2016
Kodomo wa Wakatte Agenai
May 16, 2019 9:11 AM
Jul 2018
Johnnyd3rp said:
Kodomo wa Wakatte Agenai

Thanks. I'll try it.
May 20, 2019 8:09 AM
Jul 2018
Bump Bump Bump Bump
Still looking for more
May 29, 2019 1:17 PM
Jul 2018
Bump bump bump bump
May 31, 2019 9:30 PM

Jun 2013
How about Vanitas no Cartes? It's the same author that made Pandora Hearts.
Jun 1, 2019 5:39 AM
Jul 2018
Gamermaid said:
How about Vanitas no Cartes? It's the same author that made Pandora Hearts.

Thanks. But it's still on-going.
Jun 6, 2019 3:05 PM
Jul 2018
Bump Bump Bump Bump
Jun 8, 2019 4:07 AM
Nov 2018
How about Dengeki daisy?
Jun 8, 2019 2:14 PM
Jul 2018
Cherries_x said:
How about Dengeki daisy?

That one with stupid female MC?
I know the author style. She usually makes her main character supposed to be strong yet her main character is just dumb who usually ends up in dangerous situation. Not mention the author tend to make her villain some kind of rapist. And I know how the female main in Dengeki Daisy usually support Akira, the fake villain with "he isn't a bad guy" nonsense. That's shoujo for you.

Ah, I don't want to remember it. I dropped it by the way.
Jun 9, 2019 2:50 AM
Jun 2019
How about shokugeki no souma?

The main focus in this manga is cooking, but there is two main character who don't like each other, but as time goes by, they grow closer and became friends.

There is no romance between the main character but there is special bond and chemistry... I don't know this is what are you looking for, but i really like the relationship between them.
Jun 9, 2019 10:05 AM
Jul 2018
ahobaka17 said:
How about shokugeki no souma?

The main focus in this manga is cooking, but there is two main character who don't like each other, but as time goes by, they grow closer and became friends.

There is no romance between the main character but there is special bond and chemistry... I don't know this is what are you looking for, but i really like the relationship between them.

I am reading it. Well, if it didn't add the love triangle and harem part in the middle of the story I guess it would fit really well what I want.

I have been following it since the first chapter and I put it on hold until Erina became the focus once again. Sadly, the battle became really bad after that. But Souma and Erina's relationship surely is interesting to see after Erina got the focus again.
Jun 9, 2019 11:00 AM

Jul 2016
Read Wanted - It is a tale about pirates with subtle romance in there, it is only 4 chapters long.
Jun 9, 2019 11:26 AM
Jul 2018
Optigisa said:
Read Wanted - It is a tale about pirates with subtle romance in there, it is only 4 chapters long.

I don't know if I read the same Wanted! or not since what I read has 5 chapters and only one has romance. It's a typical shoujo love triangle though with 2 males 1 female, not something I am looking for, but thanks.
Jun 9, 2019 1:11 PM

Jul 2016
Iyya said:
Optigisa said:

I don't know if I read the same Wanted! or not since what I read has 5 chapters and only one has romance. It's a typical shoujo love triangle though with 2 males 1 female, not something I am looking for, but thanks.

Yeah, that is it, it is a shojo. Well, I tried.
Jun 10, 2019 5:17 AM
Nov 2018
Iyya said:
Cherries_x said:
How about Dengeki daisy?

That one with stupid female MC?
I know the author style. She usually makes her main character supposed to be strong yet her main character is just dumb who usually ends up in dangerous situation. Not mention the author tend to make her villain some kind of rapist. And I know how the female main in Dengeki Daisy usually support Akira, the fake villain with "he isn't a bad guy" nonsense. That's shoujo for you.

Ah, I don't want to remember it. I dropped it by the way.

Oh well I loved it! it’s a shame you couldn’t enjoy it yourself.
Jun 11, 2019 11:20 AM
May 2019
Idk great teacher onizuka. It’s super funny but a tad inappropriate. 😏
Jun 11, 2019 12:16 PM
Jul 2018
sunreaper said:
Idk great teacher onizuka. It’s super funny but a tad inappropriate. 😏

it's a harem. I dropped its anime btw.
Jun 11, 2019 12:28 PM

Aug 2015
Entries: 899
Oh boi.. this will be tough.. at least I'll try.. XD
Boku to Senpai no Tekken Kousai - just remembered it a while ago. It's something I read long ago but forgot to add it on my list. I don't remember the a triangle but.. well, see the synopsis yourself and you'll know what I meant. XD it's a subtle romance all way to the end tho.

Shinigami to Gin no Kishi - well, just finished it not too long ago. It has a few setback tho. 1. It's an actual romance tho till the end there is no confession. 2. It's not a story about the two getting close to each other, it's the focus more to the MC's journey..

And then there's Blazer Drive...

Well.. I tried.. XD

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 11, 2019 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Meira_Eve said:
Entries: 899
Oh boi.. this will be tough.. at least I'll try.. XD
Boku to Senpai no Tekken Kousai - just remembered it a while ago. It's something I read long ago but forgot to add it on my list. I don't remember the a triangle but.. well, see the synopsis yourself and you'll know what I meant. XD it's a subtle romance all way to the end tho.

Shinigami to Gin no Kishi - well, just finished it not too long ago. It has a few setback tho. 1. It's an actual romance tho till the end there is no confession. 2. It's not a story about the two getting close to each other, it's the focus more to the MC's journey..

And then there's Blazer Drive...

Well.. I tried.. XD

I checked mangaupdates and it's tagged as Love Triangle with a huge tag and 8,0 vote. I guess, it's clear as day that it's a love triangle. After a bit research, I found that it was between Sayo, Himeko and Shuuji. But well, if I am mistaken since I only checked some spoilers and mangaupdate, please correct me.

Shinigami to Gin no Kishi - what kind of setback? I don't mind spoilers at all. Please spoil it so I can imagine if I would dislike it or not. It has no love triangle tag in mangaupdates but "MC loyal to love interest" tag makes it suspicious. When a manga tagged as one with the tag, there's usually a potential love rival who keeps disturbing the main couple getting together. Tbh, it looks alike a reverse harem.

Blazer Drive - I'll try this one. I checked some picts and I may like it.

Thank you
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Pure comedy anime with no drama, suggestions?

JustSomeone15 - Yesterday

6 by zckfox »»
5 hours ago

» What to watch next?

ScuzzyBear - 8 hours ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
7 hours ago

» Rec fantasy/isekai anime without OP MC

D5rkUnl0ck3r - 12 hours ago

3 by D5rkUnl0ck3r »»
9 hours ago

» Short Series Recs (12-26 eps).

pludel2 - May 10

15 by M2zC »»
Today, 10:36 AM

» Looking for a non-harem Isekai anime

Michael_Mika - Mar 14

20 by OfficialMango »»
Today, 2:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.