Forum Settings
Forums
New
can science be moral?
Jan 3, 2019 11:34 AM

Jan 2009
if not then can it determine morality at least better than what philosophy can? or no matter what we still need philosophy like ethics to determine morals

i personally do not know but i think science should be beneficial for humanity at least so we can start making morals there
Jan 3, 2019 11:44 AM

Jul 2007
It's probably about as moral as art or engineering.
Jan 3, 2019 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
Scud said:
It's probably about as moral as art or engineering.

reminds me that software engineering needs morality/ethics especially those that engineer artificial intelligence

social media technology needs morality/ethics too especially on privacy matters because today they only see profit as the only good
Jan 3, 2019 12:18 PM

Mar 2008
Science is a type of philosophy and morals also are a type of philosophy. You can't have either without philosophy. Morals that aren't backed by facts aren't very good morals and neither are ones that misrepresent facts. Science can be ethical or unethical depending how experiments are done and what the intended use of data is.
Jan 3, 2019 12:23 PM

Jan 2009
traed said:
Science is a type of philosophy and morals also are a type of philosophy. You can't have either without philosophy. Morals that aren't backed by facts aren't very good morals and neither are ones that misrepresent facts. Science can be ethical or unethical depending how experiments are done and what the intended use of data is.

science and technology are considered neutral tools though so thats where the amoral claim comes from

but ye i agree that science can be ethical if its intended for the benefit of humanity as a whole

Jan 3, 2019 1:13 PM

Aug 2018
Science and morals are 2 separated aspects of life. One is exact measures and cold blooded studies about the universe around us, and the other is a concept that tells us what is right and what isn't. Science can be moral, but it's not garenteed to be. Science effects morals because it defines how objective stuff in life work, which effects our decisions and our way of adapting, but morals, which are built upon peoples' feelings and needs and how we adapt to them.

Also, morals change over time, and the way the world around us works does not change as quickly
Jan 3, 2019 3:08 PM

Dec 2008
Better question-can morality be scientific?
Life Is Short But Intense.
Jan 3, 2019 3:44 PM

Mar 2014
Gee I dunno. There is science behind eugenics but nobody practices it.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Jan 3, 2019 4:41 PM
Jul 2018
There's no cause and effect between society's sense of morality and scientific progress. The only ones who think science is inherently immoral and need to ask the question "CAN science be moral," are the types who're just generally pro traditional living. Which is less of a moral thing and more a worldview. Some people are just really into how we lived way back when and are against stuff like medical sciences, genetic engineering and so on, on the basis of "we can't play god." Or "genetically engineered food is unhealthy, bad, etc," when really the former is an opinion and the latter is full of shit.

The only instances I can think of science being widely questioned on morality is human testing and the creation of AI. Though that first one is pretty illegal at a certain point (though let's be honest, we all know it still probably happens,) and the second thing is like... Well functionally human AI are still a while away, but even then, I don't see any issue with it hypothetically. So long as we're thinking best case scenario and not worst case. Instead of robot take over, think Detroit: Become Human wherein the androids are literally just like people who have the potential to be either good or bad based on their own personal morals and life experience.
Jan 4, 2019 7:29 AM
Oct 2014
I think that would be turning science into something it isn't. Science is a tool, not a conscious judge. If we would make an -ism of science, it would eventually be ideologized filled with dogmas, and you would end up with something that isn't science anymore. We can use science in order to achieve practical results, but then we need to figure out what goal we wish to achieve, and then we have landed in philosophy.

Jan 4, 2019 12:46 PM

Oct 2014
Seems silly to debate this on an anime forum, but if you're able, there's a great book by Sam Harris called "The Moral Landscape" which answers this very question. It's a really good read if you're into it. I should note that Sam Harris is an Atheist and a portion of the book is debunking the rhetoric of faith being required for human morality.
Jan 5, 2019 12:44 AM

Dec 2018
There's a real easy to deal with this if you wanna be unethical. Rewrite society's beliefs with something that will allow you to advance full speed ahead without feeling guilty.

The whole reason for MUH MORALS is because of how Western Civilization formed starting with Alexander the Great accepting Cosmopolitanism and not committing genocide when he conquered the Persian Empire. This is what ultimately led to the Enlightenment Values and whatnot and then when Europe went and conquered the shit out of everyone they spread it though as pretty obvious different cultures caused the creation of different values, like the difference between the USA and Brazil is because who made it which led to how things were run, USA was founded by potential businessmen while Brazil was run as a pure extraction resource for minerals and shit by the Hasburgs. You can only do shit as long as society will allow you to. Like if you wanna do messed up shit in like the USA you need to keep it hidden and whatnot and you need to spend all your time trying to hide ways to hide it, and then try to find ways to make sure that anything you do is hidden. This is why conspiracy theories and whistleblowing happens.

Had different circumstances succeeded or different values won out the viewpoint on how moral you need to be to run shit would be different. You could change it by social engineering society but that would take a while to do so and if you wanted highly and extreme unethical stuff to be seen as completely normal you would need to work on completely getting rid of Western Values.
25YearOldBoomerJan 5, 2019 1:13 AM

More topics from this board

» How many of your friends are friends with you just to make fun of you?

LenRea - Yesterday

13 by MeanMrMusician »»
9 minutes ago

» Does knowing how MAL user looks like change how you see/treat them? ( 1 2 )

barababas - Apr 28

52 by MeanMrMusician »»
10 minutes ago

» I am trying to get over 10,000 posts on this site by the end of this year....

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

24 by MeanMrMusician »»
11 minutes ago

» Do you collect trading cards?

Malkshake - Apr 30

21 by MeanMrMusician »»
13 minutes ago

» What is the weather like in your region

ST63LTH - Yesterday

15 by MeanMrMusician »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.