Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World- (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What do you think of the character, Subaru from Re:Zero?
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jun 10, 2019 7:01 PM

May 2013
"Subaru = generic."

Fascinating times we live in.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 12, 2019 9:14 AM

Jan 2019
Apologies in advance as I feel this post is gonna turn into a bit of a rant.
Let me start by saying I have not read the manga on this and am going purely based on the first season of the anime (well that and isekai quartet, but that doesn't really do anything in terms of fleshing the character out).

As for the character himself, I quite liked him. I will state, however, that a good portion of that comes from what is revealed about him in the last few episodes of the season: namely, the fact that he (might be) Pride. This puts him in a surprisingly broad category of anime characters who are personifications of the seven deadly sins. Off hand, I can think of three other prides I shall list here-

Finally, with regards to the whole rem/emilia controversy, I find that whole thing rather silly now that I have seen the show. In the episode in question where he tells her he loves emilia after she tells him she loves him, everyone seems to forget to mention that not but two minutes before that he literally asked rem to run away with him and she turned him down. I find this especially funny as the characters bring this fact up immediately after rem confronts him on saying he loves Emilia and the two laugh about it. Like I am all for unreasonable shipping, but in the case of Rembaru she burnt that boat down herself.
Dec 17, 2019 9:19 AM
Oct 2012
I don't mind Subaru for being weak or useless, but his sense of self entitlement goes way to far. He could do with the slightest hint of humility or self-awareness.
The worst for me is that almost all his problems are self-inflicted.

Also he is selfcontradictory beyond belief, both his character and the way he was written.
His issues and failure to understand what was going on at the beginning were fine, when he struggled at the mansion and finally manned up to fight the doggo's it seemed like he had learned to deal with the situation. Only to revert to a terrible piece of shit immediately after, by believing himself to be special. He is kirito but somehow less likeable.
Dec 17, 2019 10:47 AM

Apr 2016
There's an only reason: he's so damn annoying, I can't like him xD
Dec 24, 2019 1:08 PM
Nov 2015
Myrkkya_Shura said:
I don't mind Subaru for being weak or useless, but his sense of self entitlement goes way to far. He could do with the slightest hint of humility or self-awareness.
The worst for me is that almost all his problems are self-inflicted.

Also he is selfcontradictory beyond belief, both his character and the way he was written.
His issues and failure to understand what was going on at the beginning were fine, when he struggled at the mansion and finally manned up to fight the doggo's it seemed like he had learned to deal with the situation. Only to revert to a terrible piece of shit immediately after, by believing himself to be special. He is kirito but somehow less likeable.
wasnt because of his ability to deal with that situation where he overcame it in the way he wanted and was able to win over all the people he liked what made him feel special, him believing that he was special wasn't an issue that was addressed in the first arc, it was the main issue in the second arc, and a big difference between the two was that he had to deal with people whom on first meeting he disliked
Dec 24, 2019 1:09 PM
Nov 2015
D-ohnuts said:
I disliked him at the beginning because the author kept using him to masturbate about how clever he is for lampshading isekai cliches and subverting them, then I started disliking him again at the middle of the show when he started to rant like a psycho.

But overall, I didn't really like or hate him as I found him pretty dull throughout and somewhat generic, like all the other characters.

Neutral.
your entire description of your experience with him doesn't sound generic at all.
Dec 29, 2019 2:05 AM
Dec 2019
He just a fcking useless character in Re:zero and not grateful at rem save him before he die n everything is restart...he reject rem because he love Emilia how about Rem???
Jan 1, 2020 3:35 PM
Dec 2018
Subaru is a fantastic character. I'm not going to go into the Emilia/Rem debate, I think they are both great characters and that doesn't matter.

Subaru has plenty of flaws, but he recognises them. That, for a start, makes him better than most MCs that you see in anime. He has personality and is not just willing to accept his weaknesses but he doesn't ignore them. He does whine a bit, but who wouldn't in his situation?

We shouldn't forget that he's died many times and has seen all the characters in plenty of different scenarios, some of them have even 'killed' him. That is bound to mess with someone's head.

But he tries to stay honest and loyal to his comrades. I think he's great. I hate these lame, dense main characters that we see all the time and I like that fact that he is trying to struggle with all he has, basically his wits, in a world where he is overpowered by almost everyone. He's loyal, brave and has a usually positive personality, don't understand why people don't like him. He's up there with the best MCs for me.
Jan 1, 2020 4:36 PM
Dec 2018
KreatorX said:
I love that character. He is well written when compared to many fantasy anime protagonists. We are expected to dislike him and the author pretty much makes it a point that Subaru is his own person and especially not someone who can easily self-insert in him. He will take actions that will not always go with the audience's wishes.

Subaru has a huge set of insecurities and emotional baggage with him, primarily due to him being a NEET/hikkikomori. His erratic behaviour is further bolstered by the fact that he simply doesn't know how to behave around people. He went on treating this new world as if it was a game-world where NPCs have predefined personalities and he is the hero of the game where everyone just listens to him. It's not very often we see characters where the author systematically breaks him down (although the author did this by a roundabout way of torturing the guy to mental breakdown, like it or hate it). Personally, I thought it was a great way of shattering that 'nice-guy' complex Subaru suffers from.

Underlying message behind his character growth, 'if you were shit in the previous life, you are going to remain like shit in your new life. To break out of the mold, grow up and change'. The infamous episode 18 is just about that. It's a psychological anime for a reason, so it's kind of expected to try to understand the characters and their behaviours to make sense of things.

It's a damn shame that the characters in the anime are unfortunately, or rather the entire anime, was seen through the spotlight of waifu-tards when it wasn't even about that.

It's pretty obvious that plenty of people misunderstood the point of episode 18 but hey, whatever floats their boat. Waifu-goggles are the new fad. The anime does more of show instead of tell, which is what likely caused misunderstandings.

Yes, this is spot on for me. People hate him for who he chooses. I must admit, I would have liked him to choose Rem, and that could still happen, i think. But, considering his background and the circumstances he finds himself in, he is an incredible character. Brave, loyal, stupid, for sure, but he knows more than anyone else about what is happening, having died so many times. He's still trying to learn and it is not surprising that he loses heart and is selfish, considering that he has died so many times.

The part when Emilia lets him rest on her lap, that shows how hard he is trying and struggling against something he doesn't totally understand. But he is doing his best, knowing that he is powerless and all he has are memories that no one else has. Emilia, of all the characters, does her best to understand that there is something that he can't say that is going on and that makes her a great character as well. Beatrice seems to notice that he doesn't seem to fear death also, and it seems to make her respect him just a tiny bit bit, even if she doesn't want to show it. So I don't accept the argument that Beatrice or Rem saved him more, because Emilia saved him in that episode without him dying. She saved his sanity. And when she tells Rem that he is a good person she probably removed a lot of the suspicion that was hanging over him.

I hope that, at some point near the end, the main characters will realise what he has gone through and acknowledge him for it. People calling him a whiner and stupid, etc, etc, how could anyone deal with this set of circumstances. He's braver than any one of the celebrated knights, going through this, time and again, and still managing to try to move forward. He actually is a real hero, when you see what he has seen and what he gone through. It was totally understandable that, for a minute, he thought about going quietly and giving up on trying to fix things or help out. Rem talked him out of that and gave him the strength to continue and try to the right thing. They are all great characters but, for me, he is the best. A real hero, who has weaknesses, like everyone, but pushes on regardless. I've heard comments that he doesn't love Rem and was just suing her in episode 18 as 'second best', he does love her, he sacrificed himself to bring her back a couple of times. The episode when he jumps off the cliff, he proves that he already loves all of them. People seem to judge his actions without considering the circumstances that he is in.

The Red ogre and Blue ogre story that he tells to Ram foreshadows a lot of what is happening also. He's not totally clueless. Due to the waifu wars, male characters tend to be often underrated or judged in context of the girl that they choose. This tale isn't even over yet but people are still losing it over whether he will choose Emilia or Rem. I don't think that is the point at all.
Gab5Jan 1, 2020 6:45 PM
Mar 4, 2020 4:39 PM
Mar 2020
he is fuckin annoying compared to other isekai protags and thats about it
Mar 24, 2020 1:51 AM
Nov 2019
UrbanSpaceman said:
I don't care about Rem and that little love triangle but I find Subaru extremely annoying because of his stupidity. Seriously he's the only character of anime, who manages to become a little dumber with every new episode.
lol even Subaru said that people can't ignore him because he is annoying. He said that during the battle against white whale
Mar 24, 2020 1:53 AM
Nov 2019
sadraccoon said:
even Subaru said that people cant ignore him because he is annoying. xD he said that during the battle against white whale
Mar 24, 2020 9:37 AM

Dec 2019
I finally just watched Re: Zero for the first time, as a result of seeing fanart of Rem everywhere and realizing there was a long awaited second season coming out. However, this show was difficult to finish because of Subaru. He is honestly a blubbering numskull, who's jokes never quite hit the punch line. It got on my nerves that he was so wimpy, yet pompous. Subaru at least became a little redeeming near the end of the series, after the highly celebrated conversation between him and Rem (you know the one). Therefore, I can't say I loath him entirely, but simply dislike him.
krissypawsMar 24, 2020 10:44 AM
Mar 24, 2020 6:17 PM

Mar 2018
sadraccoon said:
He’s just not bland like other isekai protags lmfao
Mar 25, 2020 4:31 AM

Jan 2019
Atroc said:
sadraccoon said:

Highly agree...despide the fact that many of here hate his attitude shows how full of personality he is. Everyone needs to remember that having a problematic attitude doesn't result in a bad character creation and its exactly the opposite.
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Mar 28, 2020 6:07 PM

Mar 2018
Emillian said:
Atroc said:

Highly agree...despide the fact that many of here hate his attitude shows how full of personality he is. Everyone needs to remember that having a problematic attitude doesn't result in a bad character creation and its exactly the opposite.

Especially since one of the major points of season 1 was identifying his problematic attitude, making him realize it through catharsis and grow. He was just some entitled kid at the start rather than a proper protag.
May 9, 2020 2:36 PM
May 2020
I hate him people say that's his a normal character and that everything his done is driving by all his suffering and deaths but that's not it all his stupidy,annoyances,his out of nowhere iq increases,his selfishness to other characters and his obsession when it come to emelia those are all things his had before going to another world his a horrible character that has nothing to like but many to hate if he had really suffered anything from return by death he'd be mentally unstable the thought of rem would give him a heart attack but it doesn't he's never been affected his just truly horrible and that's why I hate him
May 10, 2020 3:58 AM
Jul 2018
I guess most people only hate him because he rejected rem.. even though rem was the one who rejected his proposal in the first place lmao..
May 10, 2020 8:36 AM

Jan 2019
darlinglily said:
I guess most people only hate him because he rejected rem.. even though rem was the one who rejected his proposal in the first place lmao..

Another man/woman who actually uses their brain. Thank god ^-^
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
May 10, 2020 1:22 PM
Feb 2020
This was my last series to watch before getting into Isekai Quartet. I just finished Episode 15 and I dropped it. Didn't imagine seeing myself dropping a series this far into the season and this is the first time I've done it. It was because of Subaru. I understand that whatever he went through traumatized the hell out of him but I simply just didn't enjoy watching him sob for 3 episodes straight. I just felt like the writer could've written something else besides just having him sob endlessly.
Jun 23, 2020 10:38 PM
Sep 2018
I don't hate Emilia or Rem or Subaru, but I think people hate Subaru as a character because he rejected a girl who understands him the most, poke fun of people saving him and thinks of it as lower than Emilia's love. As Orihime from Bleach goes "Kurosaki-kun, Kurosaki-kun", he goes "Emilia-tan, Emilia-tan" as his only sole purpose of being a character. He thinks directly instead of thinking
Jun 23, 2020 10:41 PM
Sep 2018
Emillian said:
darlinglily said:

I don't remember Rem saying she rejected him. I remember her attacking him because she thought he was a bad guy because he smells of the Witch of Envy.
Jun 23, 2020 10:50 PM

May 2013
Carrotsandcucumb said:
Emillian said:

I don't remember Rem saying she rejected him. I remember her attacking him because she thought he was a bad guy because he smells of the Witch of Envy.

The 'rem was the one who rejected his proposal in the first place' refers to Rem turning down Subaru when he asked her to run away with him to a far off place and live together.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 26, 2020 11:51 AM
Feb 2019
Emillian said:

Characters can be full of personality and still be annoying but then again, I didn't find Subaru to be a character full of personality either, I just found him like an annoying brat most of the time because he screams a lot when he talks and I just can't stand screaming characters trying to be funny, this is simply forced comedy they are shoving down in our throats which I find quite cringie, if you need screaming characters to deliver some comedy then something went wrong with the delivery IMHO, I don't understand how people can like characters like that.

Sure, Subaru had some great moments but he also had extremely annoying moments as well.
Jun 26, 2020 12:33 PM

Jan 2019
Resus-2 said:
Emillian said:

Characters can be full of personality and still be annoying but then again, I didn't find Subaru to be a character full of personality either, I just found him like an annoying brat most of the time because he screams a lot when he talks and I just can't stand screaming characters trying to be funny, this is simply forced comedy they are shoving down in our throats which I find quite cringie, if you need screaming characters to deliver some comedy then something went wrong with the delivery IMHO, I don't understand how people can like characters like that.

Sure, Subaru had some great moments but he also had extremely annoying moments as well.

I HATE screaming characters in general but i didn't wanted Subaru to make jokes and even succeed in making them. He is supposed to be a loser in every category not only in his attempts to do something right but also in his atrocious sense of humor, that why i love him. He tries but fails and tries again till he succeeds... and really now who expected from him to make jokes or be funny lol? There are others that are filling up that place (more elaborated in second season...the only funny moments in the first season were situational events not any kind of jokes said by any of the characters). Also HE IS an annoying brat, he is 17->18 years old district punk that tries to impress others but fails because hey this is not YOUR adventure mate, not only u matter here and that's what he understands at the beginning of the second season. (in light novels and manga he is even more thug ish and doucebag ish but in the anime they made him more agreeable that he was initially created...you would be surprised )
PS: Not all personalities need to be "good" personalities to be truly GOOD if u understand what i'm trying to say ;)
Jun 26, 2020 12:52 PM
Feb 2019
Emillian said:
I HATE screaming characters in general but i didn't wanted Subaru to make jokes and even succeed in making them. He is supposed to be a loser in every category not only in his attempts to do something right but also in his atrocious sense of humor, that why i love him. He tries but fails and tries again till he succeeds... and really now who expected from him to make jokes or be funny lol? There are others that are filling up that place (more elaborated in second season...the only funny moments in the first season were situational events not any kind of jokes said by any of the characters). Also HE IS an annoying brat, he is 17->18 years old district punk that tries to impress others but fails because hey this is not YOUR adventure mate, not only u matter here and that's what he understands at the beginning of the second season. (in light novels and manga he is even more thug ish and doucebag ish but in the anime they made him more agreeable that he was initially created...you would be surprised )

Yeah, Subaru is indeed supposed to be a loser in every category even in the comedy but the author could create a character like that without the character being extremely annoying like Subaru, he's simply obnoxious and if that's the way the author wanted to create him then congratulations, you succeeded but unfortunately many people will hate him because of that and plenty of people even dropped the anime because of it so this is actually counter-productive IMHO.

Personally I found Subaru to be annoying in the beginning and in the middle he got even worse and a lot cringier, it's only in the last couple of episodes were I started to find him acceptable because he was screaming less and was being more "heroic", I really hope the 2nd season has Subaru acting like the last couple of episodes from the 1st season.

Emillian said:

PS: Not all personalities need to be "good" personalities to be truly GOOD if u understand what i'm trying to say ;)

Fair enough but this can also be achieved with a less annoying character.
Jun 26, 2020 1:01 PM

May 2013
Resus-2 said:
Emillian said:

I could not tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing whether Subaru is 'full of personality' here. Personality is the character-specific way of behaving, thinking and feeling. It includes behavioural traits that are either inborn or acquired. A character's personality can be observed in person-to-person interactions.

You pointed out that he is annoying but because he screams a lot when he talks. Are you referring to his excited way of talking about things? His general excitement stems due to his longing for an isekai-fantasy experience, otherwise his eager acceptance of being whisked into a new world would be rather out of place. Unless I am mistaken, the show isn't comedy in the first place and is therefore a poor recommendation for people looking to watch some comedy.

People such as myself don't go around liking him because he is apparently someone who screams to deliver comedy. It isn't what we watch Re:zero for. People enjoy his character because of the very problematic personality he has (akin to opening a can of worms) and how he makes an effort to grow beyond such flaws. It's good material for long-term character development. It is what was meant by 'full of personality'.

There is a lot more to analyze about him but it should be easy to see that there's plenty related to his personality that can be explored. He cannot become a hero if points 1 to 6 never changed. Thankfully, Subaru's character grows over time. Future seasons will offer more backdrop regarding his character, he will make mistakes before eventually ironing them out. Sure, one can like or dislike the character based on all the above points concerning Subaru too (which is what this thread was intended to discuss). Plenty of people dislike him because of his whole personality and frustrating behaviour as well. :)

However, it feels highly disingenuous if we were to think that we simply like him just because he screams jokes down our throats. xD
KreatorXJun 26, 2020 1:11 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 26, 2020 1:28 PM
Feb 2019
KreatorX said:
I could not tell if you are agreeing or disagreeing whether Subaru is 'full of personality' here. Personality is the character-specific way of behaving, thinking and feeling. It includes behavioural traits that are either inborn or acquired. A character's personality can be observed in person-to-person interactions.

You pointed out that he is annoying but because he screams a lot when he talks. Are you referring to his excited way of talking about things? His general excitement stems due to his longing for an isekai-fantasy experience, otherwise his eager acceptance of being whisked into a new world would be rather out of place. Unless I am mistaken, the show isn't comedy in the first place and is therefore a poor recommendation for people looking to watch some comedy.

People such as myself don't go around liking him because he is apparently someone who screams to deliver comedy. It isn't what we watch Re:zero for. People enjoy his character because of the very problematic personality he has (akin to opening a can of worms) and how he makes an effort to grow beyond such flaws. It's good material for long-term character development. It is what was meant by 'full of personality'.

There is a lot more to analyze about him but it should be easy to see that there's plenty related to his personality that can be explored. He cannot become a hero if points 1 to 6 never changed. Thankfully, Subaru's character grows over time. Future seasons will offer more backdrop regarding his character. Sure, one can like or dislike the character based on all the above points concerning Subaru too (which is what this thread was intended to discuss). Plenty of people dislike him because of his whole personality and frustrating behaviour too. :)

However, it feels highly disingenuous if we were to think that we simply like him just because he screams jokes down our throats. xD

People have their reasons to hate on Subaru, my reasons is because he's an over-the-top character who screams a lot when he talks which I find annoying, even in the normal conversations he's mostly screaming and trying to be funny and this is a poor attempt at "comedy", I know this anime isn't about comedy but it has comedy in it and most of the time Subaru is the one trying to deliver the comedy by screaming so Subaru already had a bad start for people like me, he's a flawed character sure but I would be OK with him if he screamed less. BTW I didn't watched this anime expecting comedy in it but unfortunately it had comedy and Subaru made those comedy even worse, not all of the comedy with Subaru was bad though, I actually liked and laughed in a few scenes with him but most of the time I was just cringing and eye-rolling with his bad comedy.

I know that Subaru is a flawed character but that flawed character got even worse in the middle because he was being even more annoying and cringier, I was cool with him in the last couple of episodes though.

You made some great points about his character but then again, a character can have those same great points you made without being annoying.
Jun 26, 2020 1:34 PM

Jan 2019
Resus-2 said:
Emillian said:

Yeah, Subaru is indeed supposed to be a loser in every category even in the comedy but the author could create a character like that without the character being extremely annoying like Subaru, he's simply obnoxious and if that's the way the author wanted to create him then congratulations, you succeeded but unfortunately many people will hate him because of that and plenty of people even dropped the anime because of it so this is actually counter-productive IMHO.

Personally I found Subaru to be annoying in the beginning and in the middle he got even worse and a lot cringier, it's only in the last couple of episodes were I started to find him acceptable because he was screaming less and was being more "heroic", I really hope the 2nd season has Subaru acting like the last couple of episodes from the 1st season.

Emillian said:

Fair enough but this can also be achieved with a less annoying character.

"Author could have done...." that's not our decision, he is the creator, he creates them how he wants and we can't judge the way he felt when he created them...we can only judge his ability to develop them and their story to the point it has a conclusion....he created him like that because is a kind of personality that wasn't addressed till now (even tho these kind of guys exist and where i am there are many of them) and he took the risk when he did that and now because of that there are people who love him for who he is (myself included) and there are people who hate him for numerous factors (being annoying, rejecting SOMEONE in particular, his decisions, etc). We can't expect to always get "perfect characters" or copies after amazing characters in the past. Personally i want REAL human behavior, real feelings, real attitude and real personality even tho it might come annoying, distressing or other kinds of these stuff even tho they are sometimes exaggerated but is understandable and i wanna FEEL them when they are in a good/bad situation. That's about it...he will evolve in the future and maybe some guys who hate him now will find him more acceptable but only time (or LN readers) will tell if this is gonna be true or not.
Jun 26, 2020 1:52 PM

May 2013
Emillian said:
That's about it...he will evolve in the future and maybe some guys who hate him now will find him more acceptable but only time (or LN readers) will tell if this is gonna be true or not.

I assume that you have not read the WN or LN, but yes, he evolves. However, it is more like how people are prone to making the same mistakes frequently before eventually getting it out of their system (like how it is in real life...as a small example: we tell ourselves not to waste time in completing a task, but we literally end up wasting precious time every now and then in doing so). This is not a guarantee on whether people will start liking Subaru though.

With this, I can probably foresee a similar thread which goes "Why do YOU dislike/like Emilia" sometime in the future, because she is another breed of peculiar herself (not on the level of Subaru, but still. lol). Her character just happens to work well with Subaru's.
KreatorXJun 26, 2020 1:56 PM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 26, 2020 1:54 PM
Feb 2019
Emillian said:
"Author could have done...." that's not our decision, he is the creator, he creates them how he wants and we can't judge the way he felt when he created them...we can only judge his ability to develop them and their story to the point it has a conclusion....he created him like that because is a kind of personality that wasn't addressed till now (even tho these kind of guys exist and where i am there are many of them) and he took the risk when he did that and now because of that there are people who love him for who he is (myself included) and there are people who hate him for numerous factors (being annoying, rejecting SOMEONE in particular, his decisions, etc). We can't expect to always get "perfect characters" or copies after amazing characters in the past. Personally i want REAL human behavior, real feelings, real attitude and real personality even tho it might come annoying, distressing or other kinds of these stuff even tho they are sometimes exaggerated but is understandable and i wanna FEEL them when they are in a good/bad situation. That's about it...he will evolve in the future and maybe some guys who hate him now will find him more acceptable but only time (or LN readers) will tell if this is gonna be true or not.

True but we can judge the flawed character though, if he made him annoying on purpose then he succeeded but now people will dislike the character. Does Subaru gets better later? he sure does, he indeed got better and likable for me in the last couple of episodes and I hope it stays that way because if the 2nd season has Subaru acting as annoying like he acted in the 1st season then nothing really changed with that character, he's still the same annoying character that people disliked and sure, it will have people (like you) that liked him but he will still be disliked by plenty of people.
Jun 26, 2020 2:04 PM

Jan 2019
Resus-2 said:
Emillian said:

True but we can judge the flawed character though, if he made him annoying on purpose then he succeeded but now people will dislike the character. Does Subaru gets better later? he sure does, he indeed got better and likable for me in the last couple of episodes and I hope it stays that way because if the 2nd season has Subaru acting as annoying like he acted in the 1st season then nothing really changed with that character, he's still the same annoying character that people disliked and sure, it will have people (like you) that liked him but he will still be disliked by plenty of people.

He will remain (i think) mostly like we saw him in the final episodes (but also evolve very much when he will receive his development part)....the things got very serious and he doesn't have time to f**k around anymore....this is where Re:Zero "truly begins", welcome to Arc 4, the Everlasting Contract ^_^
EmillianJun 26, 2020 2:09 PM
Jun 26, 2020 2:21 PM
Feb 2019
Emillian said:
He will remain (i think) mostly like we saw him in the final episodes (but also evolve very much when he will receive his development part)....the things got very serious and he doesn't have time to f**k around anymore....this is where Re:Zero "truly begins", welcome to Arc 4, the Everlasting Contract ^_^

I really hope that's the case, Re:Zero is an anime with a really interesting concept so I want to see more of it, unfortunately Subaru degraded the experience for plenty of people (including me) but the concept of the anime is actually pretty good.

The 2nd season of Re:Zero is actually the anime I'm looking forward the most this year, I just hope the animation, direction nor the OST gets degraded due to the pandemic going on like COVID-19 because this darn virus will probably change the quality of the animes as well.
Jun 26, 2020 2:42 PM

Jul 2019
A lot of people don't like him for being annoying, forcing his ideals onto others, and choosing Emilia over Rem. But honestly, I don't really care, I'm neutral about him. That's because I don't really care for the show, it's good but not a masterpiece
Jul 4, 2020 7:02 AM
Feb 2020
after reading some posts here, people are hating him for being annoying? or forced his ideals on others or some other reason....its all BULLSHIT they may not like him because he is not acting the way they want him to instead he is acting the way he is suppose to and for that I LOVE his character which is better than most of your movies,tv series and anime character....some have commented he is dumbass but how? he is normal kid who first identifies his power than tries to escape a very horrendous set of fates by acting in a very natural way as someone should in his position...his mental state is so messed up that if he doesn't keep his upbeat attitude he may lose it for good...
𝐇𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐫𝐞 𝐛𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐝𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐜𝐮𝐳 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐡𝐢𝐝𝐝𝐞𝐧 𝐩𝐨𝐰𝐞𝐫 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐢𝐬 𝐚𝐰𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝐚𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐯𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐧, 𝐰𝐡𝐨 𝐭𝐫𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐝 𝟏𝟎𝟎𝟎 𝐲𝐞𝐚𝐫𝐬, 𝐛𝐲 𝐫𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐦𝐛𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐢𝐫 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐝 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬
ANTI-MAL-ELITISTJul 4, 2020 7:37 AM
Jul 4, 2020 7:15 AM
Feb 2020
Howling13 said:
He is so pathetic, no character growth and plain stupid... If I was on the same world, I could NTR his girls in a flash... That is how stupid he is

lol i highly doubt you could get a chick in real life and your hand doesn't count
Jul 16, 2020 6:25 PM
Jul 2020
I am neutral leaning slightly to dislike.
Honestly, he is a SUPER flawed person. And everyone who loves him tries to cover it up with that bs excuse called "he's HUMAN" I get some of it. He does make some human mistakes. And he does make some good choices along the way. But most of his mistakes are SO FRICKING STUPID! I do understand his affection for Amelia, but he does some things that where easily avoidable had he used his brain just a LITTLE. And even though i GET his affections, i think he's way to possessive and clingy.
Lol i have more things i'd like to say but this is getting to long
Jul 21, 2020 1:49 PM

Mar 2020
i dont like him cuz he bad
yum riceballs

i just want a baccano! season 2
Jul 29, 2020 5:43 PM

Apr 2014
Hes a Useless Idiot, get some magical weapons or something.
Jul 29, 2020 7:10 PM
Jan 2019
This is a tough question because it is really hard to like Subaru. He is selfish, stubborn, stupid, and I say it only because I must...PRIDEful. I do think this is overwritten a little by the fact that he has had to go through ALOT. Episode 4 of S2 revealed his lifelong inferiority complex toward his dad, and his realization that he wasn't special forcing him to hate leaving the house. He finally gets "every hikikomori's dream" by being transferred to an isekai, only to face constant pain and death. Sure, he has girls that like him, but they don't even know half of what he has had to go through to ensure everyone he cares about is still breathing. This is why I find it difficult to dislike Subaru. He is stupid, but the things he has to go through on a regular basis make it impossible to not root for the guy.

Overall-Neutral
Aug 5, 2020 11:02 AM

Nov 2018
If you think he's your typical clichéd isekai MC, then either you haven't watched any isekai anime yet or you're just dumb. I like Subaru. I think he's a great MC. However i do understand that some people might find him annoying because of his energetic attitude (Exept for those butthurted snowflakes like the Remtards who just bashed him just because he didn't choose their holy maiden). He doesn't have any flashy OP powers but he does use his brain to overcome difficulties with the help of his respawn ability or whatever it is called. That's a pretty unique MC in the isekai genre if you ask me.
Aug 6, 2020 7:23 PM
May 2020
He is a basic Isekai protagonist. People say that they hate him for his stupidity but my man's got guts. His personality is basic but his struggles are real. My man died multiple times. Cut him some slack. He just wants to live the Isekai dream by acquiring a harem and living in a mansion. I don't hate him and I have some respect for him. He struggled a lot.
Aug 16, 2020 3:26 AM
Sep 2008
My impression on Subaru at first it was as the generic otaku protagonist (so basically from a meh to bad specially when he made his goat like voice), but as the story started to carry on some basic concepts started to rise up like the fact that he wants a relationship with an elf that seems to be 19 years old when in reality she is 115, that fact alone makes impossible a relationship between them unless the author decides to change his physiognomy to one as Emilia which would make it very plot convenient and unnatural.

Next it is the goal of Emilia of being declared as Queen of the Kingdom that would make her part of royalty and if she wins Subaru should realize that a formal relationship could never be reached simply because Emilia should marry someone from the nobles to prevent struggles with revolts generated due to the lack of legitimacy, and it doesn’t matter what Subaru tries to do or accomplished he can’t get a rank worthy enough to marry the queen at most would be a lover specially when the nobility impression of him is as a self declared knight (more like a simple servant or a buffoon or both).

The exaggeration and over reliance, in an intent to make the protagonist more likeable, on the concept of a certain situation happens that turns bad to the point of getting killed over and over and over; also each time more gross than the last time, with a supposed trauma that probably the author picks from a book and simply use one in each arc without any progression of the trauma as the story progresses as if it was used like a checkpoint in the arc formula (if you want a better execution of this thematic “Steins;Gate” is your anime, it also has a better protagonist).

The fact that he has died multiple of times, and by that, I mean the exaggeration of hundreds of million times (only to make it more impactful) and still have a feeling for something. Honestly at this point he should not even care to get in a relationship with Emilia or Rem, it should be lifting the curse and probably ending his own life to get some rest.

Lastly would be an external fact and by that I mean the people that keep trying to impose in ones mind that Subaru is the best protagonist of anime in all time and that he is the most reliable which for me it wouldn’t in fact I think that he has the same progression as Kirito of SAO specially in how both of them try to make them relatable to everyone but for me a potato has more development than them. Also, that people keep saying that he gets better in season 6 or 10 just like Kirito.

PD: If you like Subaru and keep thinking that he is the best protagonist good for you but not for me.
Aug 16, 2020 9:29 PM
Aug 2020
The dude is literally is a "I'm pathetic but I won't do shit to do anything about that since people will still love me anyway."

He knows he is weak yet he does not do anything that can make him more useful. Hell, you'd think that after the first three deaths he had, he'd conclude "Damn, I should really learn how to fight or use magic." While he does try to do that later, he just stops. Heck, even later when the Witch of Greed literally asks him to ask anything, he does not ask anything absolutely note worthy. Here he is with the absolute chance to know something about his power and virtually a lot of things especially his enemies and he just asks nothing.

Not to mention that he forgets a lot of crap that would have helped him in the new life he had. When Subaru was going through his initial run investigating the mansion from sanctuary, Roswal told him to tell Bea a specific phrase to help find out if Beast girl was a betrayer yet he never did so in the next run he had.
Aug 18, 2020 3:41 AM
Jun 2020
Subaru is like Ganta from Deadman Wonderland. He is very annoying and stupid. To be honest I don't like them both.
Oct 14, 2020 12:45 AM
Oct 2020
Tell me I'm wrong but I have a feeling that the author himself really hates the main character. Like Subaru could be based on someone he really hated in real life and then drag that motherfucker in a isekai world with a lot of mythical creature, monster or witch cult. And suprised, no power or any abilitiy at all, just a normal human being and tortured him days in days out by let him dies at many times as it could and gave him many traumatized events that he will never forget.
devilhunter142Oct 14, 2020 12:48 AM
Oct 19, 2020 7:16 AM

Jul 2013
The problem with Subaru is that the plot forces him to be incredibly dumb at times just to make the time travel mechanic work. For someone who is supposed to be a very normal protagonist of the genre, he lacks the most normal thing of all; common sense. The first thing he does when he got isekai'd is to play around. Even after being traumatized by death a few times, he still doesn't take things seriously and doesn't stop to think how bad the situation he's currently in. The way he never questions "reality" even once , and instead becomes narrow-minded to save some random stranger that might not exist is just too contrived. He acts obnoxious to the first person he sees after waking up in a stranger's house and maintains that behavior even after a few lifespans. It also took him a long time to attempt in talking about his powers to someone or simply ask the most basic things like the date and time. He gets into a catatonic state but then you realize he was just acting all the time. He always acts over the top to the point he doesn't feel like a real person anymore. There's so much wrong about his character that when his death scenes happen, you find it difficult to care at all.
justinian_1Oct 19, 2020 10:14 AM
Nov 11, 2020 1:11 PM
Jul 2020
Oh my God, I have never hated another character so much before. I am only watching this show anymore because I enjoy the other characters.
Nov 24, 2020 6:12 PM
Jan 2020
I don't really hate Subaru I understand his really loud annoying and dumb in others point of view. But all I see is that his really broken no one can help him bear his weight (am still at season 1 so if someone did knew about his powers well sorry about that) of his really op but also really torture like ability of the so called "return by death" he knows what would happen in the future if he dies since he experienced it and going back to the past again like it was a game who wouldn't go mental breakdown and all crazy when you already saw something in the future that you wouldn't like. Like when your isekai friends just died or smth full of blood on there faces wouldn't that makes you sad? Well ik it wouldn't since you would think that you could just kill yourself again and again if and prevent it from happening. But what if you cant also prevent they're death? Wouldn't that make you crazy and all since you can't do anything? Am just telling all of my opinions no hate if i said something wrong just let it be wrong xD i don't like arguing with someone cuz I wouldn't be able to sleep properly oh btw let me introduce myself
My name is Yoshikage Kira. I'm 33 years old. My house is in the northeast section of Morioh, where all the villas are, and I am not married. I work as an employee for the Kame Yu department stores, and I get home every day by 8 PM at the latest. I don't smoke, but I occasionally drink. I'm in bed by 11 PM, and make sure I get eight hours of sleep, no matter what. After having a glass of warm milk and doing about twenty minutes of stretches before going to bed, I usually have no problems sleeping until morning. Just like a baby, I wake up without any fatigue or stress in the morning. I was told there were no issues at my last check-up. I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life. I take care not to trouble myself with any enemies, like winning and losing, that would cause me to lose sleep at night. That is how I deal with society, and I know that is what brings me happiness. Although, if I were to fight I wouldn't lose to anyone.
Nov 25, 2020 1:38 AM
Jul 2018
i think he is a very good character he seems most realistic among the 90 percent of all anime characters he is weak he has problem and he overcomes them sometimes breaks down and that is very human like. Not like a fucking flawless character who has no issues no worries. That time type of characters are the cringe as fuck.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Julius is annoying AF

BroDa2545 - Apr 24

32 by KuyaC »»
Yesterday, 8:20 AM

» To the people who don't like Re:Zero, Why? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

opal_shimmer - Feb 20, 2021

250 by Megaman-is-hard1 »»
Apr 23, 8:53 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2016

1722 by Grazzerz »»
Apr 21, 10:54 PM

» Isn't it more realistic for Emilia to fall in love with Reinhard than Subaru? ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Apr 4

69 by Altofanime »»
Apr 20, 3:11 PM

Poll: » Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 8, 2016

527 by XionnaMing »»
Apr 19, 10:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.