Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 27, 2018 7:17 AM

Nov 2013
I was pretty confused when the Queen, who wanted to see her daughter all the time, just went for a suicide jump instead of going for the daughter! and she even leaves her to her fate afterwards!!! That's the only thing that i felt was out of place; also her getting picked up by MC on "dragon" was bit cringy as all the convenient "deus ex machina" usually is, but i was more shocked with her decision rather than the things that happened after. So sad for the daughter, considering since she's a princess of a nation that got conquered, i doubt she'll have a better life ahead, that's just cruel considering her mother could have done something about it yet chose personal freedom instead... can't blame her, but i thought finding her daughter was what she desired, not suicide, and since it was denied - just "forgetting" the past? immediately dropped my score from 10/10 to 9.5/10 xD but since there are no .5's, i gave it 10 anyway. It just...felt wrong...

P.S at the VERY END, it is shown that "elfs" still live in their homeland right? In other words, they didn't go extinct, something i really wanted to see revealed and was happy that in the end the author granted me my wish xD It was satisfying.
Oct 1, 2018 12:55 AM

Jul 2014
Here's my take on it. I don't doubt that Leilia loved her daughter and wanted to be with her. However, The Iorphs have been taught all their lives that they cannot live alongside other races because their time moves slower than others. Leilia decided that it was better for her to forget her daughter and for her daughter to forget her. In doing so, she was protecting her daughter from emotional attachments and the sadness and grief that comes with it. But even more so, Leilia was protecting herself from the inevitable despair of when Medmel would eventually die. Of course, this goes against the theme of the movie. Maquia served as a foil to Leilia and told her that she'll never forget her daughter. She's lived a life opposite to Leilia and realizes that relationships are wonderful, even if it'll end in departures.
SinyanOct 1, 2018 12:58 AM
Oct 7, 2018 6:34 AM

Nov 2011
For the suicide part, are we sure she attempted it? I may be mistaken and I will maybe have more insight when the Bluray will be out, but when I watched this part, I rather got the impression that Leilia knew that Maquia would catch her. While she's talking to her daughter, we hear a voice telling to jump (the same one we hear at the beginning of the movie, I guess) and after that, she really went to jump. Not far from a deus ex machina indeed, but predictable.
Oct 31, 2018 5:42 PM
Oct 2018
Still confused here,when maquis kidnapped by knight kingdom, is she really married with the prince?and when she grow her hair the other friend tell her that she pregnant???whats that mean?is she really pregnant?bcoz i didnt see she got pregnant later when she meet eriel again in the last.
Oct 31, 2018 7:01 PM

Jan 2017
Kyragos said:
For the suicide part, are we sure she attempted it? I may be mistaken and I will maybe have more insight when the Bluray will be out, but when I watched this part, I rather got the impression that Leilia knew that Maquia would catch her. While she's talking to her daughter, we hear a voice telling to jump (the same one we hear at the beginning of the movie, I guess) and after that, she really went to jump. Not far from a deus ex machina indeed, but predictable.

I agree, I too heard Maquia call out to her telling her to jump right on time. I did not see this in anyway as a 'suicide' attempt of even thought towards it.

Oct 31, 2018 10:31 PM

Oct 2012
Nicebuddy said:
Still confused here,when maquis kidnapped by knight kingdom, is she really married with the prince?and when she grow her hair the other friend tell her that she pregnant???whats that mean?is she really pregnant?bcoz i didnt see she got pregnant later when she meet eriel again in the last.

She was not pregnant that's for sure. Go take a look at my post in the episode discussion thread. I've explained what Cream meant by his words(yes, I spelt his name like that because in Japanese, that's what his name is)

Why are so many people confused about that part I don't understand.
「友達なんていない。人はすぐに裏切るし、学校っていうのは誰かを標的にしないとやってられない馬鹿共の集 まり。ままごとみたいな役決めて、仲のいいふりして都合が悪くなったら知らんぷり。そんな奴らと仲良くした いとか全然思わない。」
Nov 1, 2018 12:51 AM

May 2017
Same bro same, it's as if Leilia was so sure that the conquerors will be nice the royal that they just conquered or was Leilia really just a dumb bitch?

I have the same problem with Ariel like leaving his pregnant wife when the war is so close to his home that Maquia conveniently casually reached his house just by walking lmao

There's no realism in this war, there's no brutality, everyone assumes the enemy soldiers would be nice even if they got conquered
Nov 1, 2018 1:11 AM
Oct 2018

She was not pregnant that's for sure. Go take a look at my post in the episode discussion thread. I've explained what Cream meant by his words(yes, I spelt his name like that because in Japanese, that's what his name is)

Why are so many people confused about that part I don't understand.[/quote]

Oh i see,i think to about that but i just wanna confrim that my assumption is true.In the end of that movie i can see many ''elf''.so they still alive or what??
Nov 1, 2018 4:01 AM
Aug 2018
In my opinion, leila just jump for her freedom. All sadness in all of time was enough when she meet Medmel. accidentally, maquia save her with Renato.
Nov 1, 2018 4:59 AM

May 2017
Hansung_Yu said:
In my opinion, leila just jump for her freedom. All sadness in all of time was enough when she meet Medmel. accidentally, maquia save her with Renato.

Nah brah, I clearly heard Maquia told Leilia to jump way before Leilia even started running
Nov 3, 2018 12:31 PM
Aug 2007
I also have a question, Krim was indicating that Maquia was pregnant? So what happened, was she pregnant or not?
Nov 4, 2018 3:35 AM

Nov 2007
This is my opinion to the questions in this forum after watching the movie twice.
tsubasaloverNov 4, 2018 3:45 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 4, 2018 6:45 AM

Dec 2011
puupuu said:
I also have a question, Krim was indicating that Maquia was pregnant? So what happened, was she pregnant or not?

Yes, she was impregnated and gave birth
Where's the child tho?
Nov 4, 2018 2:58 PM

Nov 2011
What happen to Racine? Were they just specifically looking for Lielia?
Hate Keeps me warm
Nov 4, 2018 3:47 PM
Jul 2018
IheartCC said:
What happen to Racine? Were they just specifically looking for Lielia?
she is either way dead or still on that floating island with the people they didnt take.
Nov 5, 2018 9:15 PM
Apr 2018
puupuu said:

No its just metaphorical simce maquia doesn't get pregnant and krim action to cutting her hair further implied that she doent pregnant and only pregnant iorphe are allowed to have a long hair to her hips so he cut it and from his words its clear all he want is to reseting things to before the attack and at the end he also said why did everyone moves forward its clear at least for me

Hansung_Yu said:

I thought she doesn't know her child are not immortal because remember she is locked up in her room and never meet her child so by seeing she doesn't have blonde hair and presumably not immortal leaving her are the correct choice to cut her from any emotional loses and i believe leila is the opposite of maquia in this movie

(English is not my first language sorry for the bad grammar)
Nov 7, 2018 10:18 AM
Aug 2018
AR_W said:
puupuu said:

No its just metaphorical simce maquia doesn't get pregnant and krim action to cutting her hair further implied that she doent pregnant and only pregnant iorphe are allowed to have a long hair to her hips so he cut it and from his words its clear all he want is to reseting things to before the attack and at the end he also said why did everyone moves forward its clear at least for me

Hansung_Yu said:

I thought she doesn't know her child are not immortal because remember she is locked up in her room and never meet her child so by seeing she doesn't have blonde hair and presumably not immortal leaving her are the correct choice to cut her from any emotional loses and i believe leila is the opposite of maquia in this movie

yep. she want to do her new life than with Iorph. but idk why she try jump. xd
Nov 9, 2018 7:46 AM
Oct 2015
Jiharo said:
Nicebuddy said:

Why are so many people confused about that part I don't understand.

Ah thanks for providing the original text, I didnt bother to rewind the video because I watched it on TV that rewinding is more annoying than smart phone or laptop.
Basically this right? (髪を伸ばしていいのは) means (*tend* to lengthen the hair is because) like people *usually* keep their hair long because they dont mind it whenever they are pregnant.
Nov 9, 2018 7:49 AM
Oct 2015
Hansung_Yu said:
AR_W said:

yep. she want to do her new life than with Iorph. but idk why she try jump. xd

Maquia is also bad because she didnt explain to leilla that half Iorphe (idk how to spell this) also has long age
Nov 9, 2018 8:45 AM

May 2013
Hmmm I thought that the iorph cannot grow hair unless they are pregnant that’s why as you can see over time Maquia’s hair stayed the same dyed hair color and the same length. Also at the very end of the movie they showed a picture of them all happily together and the background you can see a girl with long brownish hair which I assumed it was maquia’s child. I’m pretty sure I’m wrong lol!
“Listen up, you lowlifes who will never amount to anything!“ -[Mawaru Penguindrum]
Nov 9, 2018 4:47 PM

Jun 2014
Rhazel said:
Hmmm I thought that the iorph cannot grow hair unless they are pregnant that’s why as you can see over time Maquia’s hair stayed the same dyed hair color and the same length. Also at the very end of the movie they showed a picture of them all happily together and the background you can see a girl with long brownish hair which I assumed it was maquia’s child. I’m pretty sure I’m wrong lol!

In an interview with Mari Okada she just said everyone in the pic aside from the one we knows are half-iorph
Nov 13, 2018 4:28 PM

Sep 2014
I think she only jumped because she heard Maquia, after all they did spend quite some time on the dragons and her, she even said "Why dont you fly".

Whats more interesting to me is what the hell happened before Ariel got a pregnant wife? Last we saw of Maquia is her getting abducted - Lang and Ariel notice this and mention the empire found another Iorphian - suddenly Maquia is with Krim and over 9 month have passed since Ariels wife (forgot her name) gives birth. Feels like they wanted to put some story there but decided to cut it out to focus on the main theme of motherly love and all that. Also it would have probably been to long, nearly 2h is already a very high amount for an anime movie after all.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Nov 15, 2018 4:26 PM

Jul 2010
Yeah, I didn't like that scene near the end either. Leilia acted so out of character, and I seriously have to question what Okada and the writers were thinking with doing that, which is a shame, because that part in particular is a pretty big stain on what I still consider to be an absolutely wonderful movie.

Whats more interesting to me is what the hell happened before Ariel got a pregnant wife? Last we saw of Maquia is her getting abducted - Lang and Ariel notice this and mention the empire found another Iorphian - suddenly Maquia is with Krim and over 9 month have passed since Ariels wife (forgot her name) gives birth. Feels like they wanted to put some story there but decided to cut it out to focus on the main theme of motherly love and all that. Also it would have probably been to long, nearly 2h is already a very high amount for an anime movie after all.

I also felt Ariel getting with Dita came right the heck out of nowhere. But for what it's worth, I found a website that did an interview with Okada, and she clarified that between Maquia's kidnapping and Ariel getting with Dita, Krim held Maquia prisoner for ten years. It's not much, but it's something.
Nov 16, 2018 3:02 PM

Mar 2015
Here is the big question...
How old at the end of the show IS Maquia
do we even know when she was born xD
Nov 16, 2018 3:52 PM
Nov 2018
That was nuts, reallybThat was nuts
Nov 16, 2018 4:22 PM

Mar 2015
I theory crafted with the age and if my theory is correct at the end of the show she would be around 100 years old

Still have yet to figure out the true age OR the birthday so \o/
Dec 15, 2018 10:45 AM

Aug 2015
Seriously,throughout the movie this leila bitch was whining about how much she loves her daughter and wanted to see her because of which she abandoned/rejected krim's efforts to save her and take her away from the castle(which resulted in his death)

When finally she got the chance to meet her daughter, instead of hugging her and talking her away from the castle leila, instead chose to abandon her,what a selfish bitch
Dec 22, 2018 3:29 AM

Jul 2010
madarchod said:
Seriously,throughout the movie this leila bitch was whining about how much she loves her daughter and wanted to see her because of which she abandoned/rejected krim's efforts to save her and take her away from the castle(which resulted in his death)

When finally she got the chance to meet her daughter, instead of hugging her and talking her away from the castle leila, instead chose to abandon her,what a selfish bitch

I thought exactly the same!!
after all what she did and the death of her friends she didn't even give her daughter a hug or something!!

Humans don't have wings so they look for ways to FLY

Dec 22, 2018 4:21 AM

Jun 2014
xXIronKidXx said:
madarchod said:

after all what she did and the death of her friends she didn't even give her daughter a hug or something!!

It's kind of subtle. Leila never wanted that children, Medmel wasn't a children born of love yet Leila had to love it, it's a maternal instinct to love her children and it's so strong it weighted more than her first love with Krim. That why she wouldn't go with Krim she wanted to see her daugther.

This is the reason why Leila wanted to meet her daughter and at the end the two did meet. And Leila after seeing her child for the first time finally was freed from the curse of her maternal love of a child she never wanted and she went back to her proud self she was in the beginning of the movie and jumped into the future leaving behind the "curse" and her child as a part of her life.

Her daughter was a representation, it was a tangible representation of her life in the castle and she had to free herself from that life to restart to zero and rebuild the Iorphs with Maquia.

Dec 22, 2018 5:23 AM
Jul 2018
xXIronKidXx said:
madarchod said:

Here's my take on it: She tried to lie to herself because a mother is expected to love their children but when she saw her daughter she realized she never loved her. I don't see anything wrong about her being selfish because it's not like it was her own choice to become pregnant and that's why this movie is so important because it not only embraces motherhood, it also embraces the suffering of rape victims and tells them it's okay to not force themselves into the role of a mother if they never wanted to become a parent in first place and were forced against their will. Maquia teaches us the lesson that motherhood is not only a gift but also a curse if you force ideals on women, it's something a woman genuinely wants to have so her love can be true, not fake like Leila's love. Leila represents the opposite of Maquia and they both give us very important life lessons.
Dec 22, 2018 5:35 AM

Jul 2010
Thai777 said:
xXIronKidXx said:

It's kind of subtle. Leila never wanted that children, Medmel wasn't a children born of love yet Leila had to love it, it's a maternal instinct to love her children and it's so strong it weighted more than her first love with Krim. That why she wouldn't go with Krim she wanted to see her daugther.

This is the reason why Leila wanted to meet her daughter and at the end the two did meet. And Leila after seeing her child for the first time finally was freed from the curse of her maternal love of a child she never wanted and she went back to her proud self she was in the beginning of the movie and jumped into the future leaving behind the "curse" and her child as a part of her life.

Her daughter was a representation, it was a tangible representation of her life in the castle and she had to free herself from that life to restart to zero and rebuild the Iorphs with Maquia.

she could've escaped with her friends and given birth to her child and lived with her in any other place!
her child was a half-Iorph after all!
or she could've at least gave her daughter a hug before jumping (whether she wanted to commit a suicide or not)
I don't understand such a character!
EsraaBelalDec 22, 2018 8:07 AM

Dec 22, 2018 8:59 AM

Jul 2010
Made-In-Heaven said:
xXIronKidXx said:

Here's my take on it: She tried to lie to herself because a mother is expected to love their children but when she saw her daughter she realized she never loved her. I don't see anything wrong about her being selfish because it's not like it was her own choice to become pregnant and that's why this movie is so important because it not only embraces motherhood, it also embraces the suffering of rape victims and tells them it's okay to not force themselves into the role of a mother if they never wanted to become a parent in first place and were forced against their will. Maquia teaches us the lesson that motherhood is not only a gift but also a curse if you force ideals on women, it's something a woman genuinely wants to have so her love can be true, not fake like Leila's love. Leila represents the opposite of Maquia and they both give us very important life lessons.

so why the hell didn't she escape earlier and just shouted everywhere about wanting to see her child!! :'D
I just don't understand

Dec 22, 2018 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
xXIronKidXx said:
Made-In-Heaven said:

so why the hell didn't she escape earlier and just shouted everywhere about wanting to see her child!! :'D
I just don't understand

Because she believed to love her but when she finally met her she realized that's not what she wanted at all.
Dec 22, 2018 1:44 PM

Jun 2014
xXIronKidXx said:
Thai777 said:

she could've escaped with her friends and given birth to her child and lived with her in any other place!
or she could've at least gave her daughter a hug before jumping (whether she wanted to commit a suicide or not)

Her child is from a different world from her, whether she's a half-iorph or not she has a normal human lifespan, to not take her to the Iorph is her way to not make them suffer more at the time of parting. Furthermore she doesn't love her child, why would she takes it with her? It's better to let her lives with people similar to her(human) than bring her to the world of iorph.

Hugging isn't necessary for the scene, I think it was better how it was in the movie since it shows more concisely that the two of them got what they wanted and restarted from zero from this point on, hugging would have impeded the message in my opinion.

And no she was not commiting suicide, we heard Maquia hard and clear that told her to jump, it parallels the beginning of the movie too.

You're free to not like her character and how she acted but it has a clear logic behind it.
Dec 23, 2018 3:34 AM

Aug 2015
Thai777 said:
xXIronKidXx said:

Her child is from a different world from her, whether she's a half-iorph or not she has a normal human lifespan, to not take her to the Iorph is her way to not make them suffer more at the time of parting. Furthermore she doesn't love her child, why would she takes it with her? It's better to let her lives with people similar to her(human) than bring her to the world of iorph.

Hugging isn't necessary for the scene, I think it was better how it was in the movie since it shows more concisely that the two of them got what they wanted and restarted from zero from this point on, hugging would have impeded the message in my opinion.

And no she was not commiting suicide, we heard Maquia hard and clear that told her to jump, it parallels the beginning of the movie too.

You're free to not like her character and how she acted but it has a clear logic behind it.

You are quite wrong about few things like,
Half iorphs does not have a lifespan similar to that of a humans infact, they live almost as long as the full blooded iorphs as evident by the thief who maquia met inside the tent where she found the baby ariel who was also a half iorph and remained the same age throughout the movie(he is the one who maquia met after saying goodbye to old ariel at the end of the movie) so it's very much possible for medmel to live as long as leila

Secondly,if she didn't loved her than why was she whining about wanting to meet her daughter throughout the movie and then abandoned her in the end despite knowing that the life of a princess of a fallen kingdom would be sad and miserable
She technically was responsible for destroying her daughters life as well as for the death of krim and other iorphs who came to her rescue
Dec 23, 2018 4:18 AM

Jun 2014
madarchod said:
Thai777 said:

You are quite wrong about few things like,
Half iorphs does not have a lifespan similar to that of a humans infact, they live almost as long as the full blooded iorphs as evident by the thief who maquia met inside the tent where she found the baby ariel who was also a half iorph and remained the same age throughout the movie(he is the one who maquia met after saying goodbye to old ariel at the end of the movie) so it's very much possible for medmel to live as long as leila

Secondly,if she didn't loved her than why was she whining about wanting to meet her daughter throughout the movie and then abandoned her in the end despite knowing that the life of a princess of a fallen kingdom would be sad and miserable
She technically was responsible for destroying her daughters life as well as for the death of krim and other iorphs who came to her rescue

Yes half iorph normally have long livespan but Medmel was treated that way because she was unsucessful at getting that particular trait of iorphs. I was wrong in my description, its not half iorph in general it was the particular case of Medmel, my bad(that also why there actually are some half iorph in the last pic of the movie since they actually share the trait of longevity).

She started whining about her feeling of her daughter because it was the only thing left to her, after being prisoner of the castle for so long all she could be sure of was her maternal love of her child. No matter how strong your first love was it will eventually fade away which happened so what was left for Leila to cling on was only her maternal love that was plagued to her when she gave birth to her child.

As for her daughter life as a princess of a fallen kingdom I agree that there is this aspect of the story that we can think of but I think it's just going past the point that the author wanted to convey, you can call it a plot hole(it's unresolved how the daughter life will be but we can assume the worst). Does that make Leila an asshole to me? No I don't think so, she already had it hard I don't expect her to think that far but that me.

I also don't believe she is ''responsible'' for destroying her daughter life, that was just unfortunate circumstances. She didn't want the child and she is not the reason why the kingdom has fallen, if Leila died the moment she would have given birth Medmel life would still be screwed by the eventual fall of the Kingdom don't you agree?

For the death of the other iorphs I don't get it. She is not the reason? They came to her rescue by their own will how is she responsible? She had her own moral for not following Maquia you can't blame her for Krim's and the other Iorphs persistance in trying to save her.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana wo Kazarou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kisaragi - Feb 24, 2018

311 by Albi-kun »»
Apr 21, 3:32 AM

» Ariel x maquia anyone? ( 1 2 )

Shiyuru99 - Nov 1, 2018

56 by brandon08967 »»
Feb 17, 12:00 AM

» Only reason it isn't perfect.

Kamikoto_kl - Apr 18, 2022

5 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 8:00 AM

» Question about krim

Bruhdotmp3 - Apr 9, 2022

3 by shuffle_017 »»
Jan 20, 7:56 AM

» "Let's Decorate the Morning of Farewells with the Promised Flowers"

MinhQuan_Luu - Nov 4, 2018

3 by Obakezoku »»
Aug 13, 2023 8:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.