Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Feb 8, 2020 2:05 PM

Mar 2015
Puchkov said:
PhKay said:
so yeah...like i said...Top 5 list of anime you watched during your break just has to come back xD ^^

btw i also love the Pravda fight a lot. It is also kind of an reenactment of the sovjet actual war strategy against Germany in WWII, basically freezing them out. It was so cool when they basically showed their opponents that they could enjoy all the nice food and warm fire with them if they just resigned. What a "cruel" strategy! (and yeah, Katyusha is cute...)

#5 Oda Nobuna no Yabou: Yoshiharu (modern high school teenager) suddenly wakes up in an alternate Sengoku era (no explanations given) and while the premise appears to be a generic Isekai, the story offers so much more.

Right from the start, his presence changes history, although he quickly decides that he wants to preserve the history of this new world as close as possible to the real Sengoku period that he is familiar with. The writing is great and perfectly balances historical events and characters with fantastical elements. Yoshiharu only has one relevant skill, his historical knowledge and this works like a double-edge sword; he knows the outcome of all battles and how the events will unfold beforehand (or predict the future from the perspective of everyone else), however the abuse of this knowledge, plus some of his decisions during key moments, drastically changes history, to the point that his “skill” loses effectiveness.

The storytelling is incredibly engaging and entertaining, and the genuine bonds that these characters build with each other creates emotional moments. For them, their goal is not just simply unify Japan, but rather to make sure their friends can make it through together.

#4 Girls & Panzer Movie: This is the breath of fresh air that CGDCT needed and hope other Anime follow the example of Girls & Panzer. I’m definitely looking forward to the Girls & Panzer Saishuushou movies.

#3 Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki: This film is a wonderful story of perseverance, selflessness and love. Minor spoilers ahead, Hana gives birth to two children, and they are half human / half wolf; the immediate implication is that Hana wants the best for her kids, and she knows that since they are different, they will be treated with fear and prejudice.

The story shapes the difficulties of raising these young children, and showcases the amazing love of a mother, and all the sacrifices that she has to make in order to give her kids a better future. They eventually move to a rural town and the scenery is breathtaking. Life in the countryside is difficult, however Hana never falters and her committed conviction helps her to succeed.

While there are numerous stressful moments during the story, we’re also rewarded with an enormous sense of peace and gratification. The movie continues through a considerable time lapse and we see the kids growing up and transition to a fantastic coming of age story.

#2 Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou: Funniest comedy ever! The sense of comedy is pure gold, especially hilarious are the interactions between Hidenori and Yoshitake. Not all the jokes hit the mark, however the fast paced gags, scripting creativity and voice acting deliver humor like few other Anime can do (like Nichijou for instance).

Some of my favorite scenes are between Hidenori and Yassan; in their last one, while Yassan approaches Hidenori from behind, he is having an internal monologue in which he is thinking that he cannot make any other clever remarks/comments about the wind, and basically yelling “please give me a break”. After a few lines he works up his courage (overcome embarrassment) to say something and Yassan completely cracks up. In the end, both of them had tremendous compatibility and I loved when they hold their hands (kissing would be too much to ask).

#1 Sword Art Online: This Anime has received unfair criticism and down voting simply because its popular. I’m somewhat familiar with old school Isekai and a few modern titles, thus my comments are spoken from the perspective of a newcomer to the genre. Also please keep in mind that I’m an expert in video games, especially RPGs.

I’ve never... and I mean never watched anything like the Aincrad arc of Sword Art Online; it grabs the best aspects of MMORPG such as the sense of adventure, massive scale, skill progression and gameplay mechanics, while at the same time discarding the most annoying ones like grinding and backtracking.

The story follows Kirito and other characters forced to play a deadly game; now while the rules are rather fair, failure in the game equals death. This of course puts a lot of pressure on the characters, and greatly influences their behavior; some cooperate with each other, while others kill without a second thought. The Anime also succeeds in creating fearsome enemies, the sort of intimidating foe that would make anyone run away.

Throughout the story, Kirito encounters many people (essentially side quests) and each one introduces well written characters and expands upon the vast world of Aincrad. The animation quality and art style are outstanding.

Here comes the best part, some of these characters create powerful and endearing bonds with each other, suffice to say that this Anime achieved a 10/10 on my enjoyment scale. Cannot go into details because that would be spoilers.

Honorable mentions:

K
Taishou Yakyuu Musume
Tari Tari
Zetsuen no Tempest

ooooh so you are on the positive side of SAO! This is kinda interesting since TheAnimeMan and gigguk only a couple days ago released a long-ish YouTube video talking (and ranking) thirty popular isekai of all eras so you may or may not wanna check that out and even give your opinion since you watched quite a bunch of the isekais they talk about...ofc never bother if don´t wanna watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHkY6cwRfE

Danshi Kokousei i watched and i totally agree with everything. It is super funny and Yassan waiting for her fateful encounter at the riverbaks is one of my favorite reocurring sketches from that series. She has quite the serious look on her face but once she develops a crush she actually gets really cute!

i am also "scheduled" to watch Wolf Children this month since it qualified for our tournament too and does a respectable job there.

so i assume you left Another out of the list only because you technically finished it after returning? ;) I have to say this is probably the new number 1 on my "i´m so happy Puchkov gave it that score" list haha
especially because it is so hit and miss for many people. I mean look at the discrepancy between its score rank and its popularity rank, you do not see something like this very often.

i promise this will be the last question until wednesday or thursday or so...i don´t wanna scare you away into your next break by stressing you with another question every single day but there was just a lot to catch up to...

edit: PS and i also wanted to take your 200th reply before it´s too late
PhKayFeb 8, 2020 2:16 PM
Feb 10, 2020 7:57 AM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
ooooh so you are on the positive side of SAO! This is kinda interesting since TheAnimeMan and gigguk only a couple days ago released a long-ish YouTube video talking (and ranking) thirty popular isekai of all eras so you may or may not wanna check that out and even give your opinion since you watched quite a bunch of the isekais they talk about...ofc never bother if don´t wanna watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHkY6cwRfE

Danshi Kokousei i watched and i totally agree with everything. It is super funny and Yassan waiting for her fateful encounter at the riverbaks is one of my favorite reocurring sketches from that series. She has quite the serious look on her face but once she develops a crush she actually gets really cute!

i am also "scheduled" to watch Wolf Children this month since it qualified for our tournament too and does a respectable job there.

so i assume you left Another out of the list only because you technically finished it after returning? ;) I have to say this is probably the new number 1 on my "i´m so happy Puchkov gave it that score" list haha
especially because it is so hit and miss for many people. I mean look at the discrepancy between its score rank and its popularity rank, you do not see something like this very often.

i promise this will be the last question until wednesday or thursday or so...i don´t wanna scare you away into your next break by stressing you with another question every single day but there was just a lot to catch up to...

edit: PS and i also wanted to take your 200th reply before it´s too late

I haven’t watched that video because it’s too long (maybe next week), so my best guess is that Sword Art Online received favorable comments. The last Anime that I completed during my break was Oda Nobuna no Yabou, therefore everything afterwards was excluded.

High levels of violence, fan service, or anything that deviates from a preconceived idea of what an Anime should be, will divide opinions. In the case of Another, the wrong expectations probably explain why it was so poorly received.

For some people, horror should create an eerie atmosphere with an omnipresent sense of dread, and for others, it would be slaughter and gruesome deaths. So where does Another stand out? Well, certainly in the middle, it incorporates classical elements from the Japanese horror and a Western sense of violence. This means that people that expect a purely psychological experience will be disappointed, and people expecting Texas Chainsaw Massacre will also be thwarted.

I love Japanese survival horror games such as Silent Hill and Fatal Frame, and Another is the closest title that resembles that. I don’t think there will ever be an Anime that captures the frightening experience of playing the Fatal Frames games alone at night and with the lights off, however Another does a remarkable job.
Feb 13, 2020 9:54 PM

Mar 2015
so after yet another 9 for Shinsekai yori, do you slowly but surely get the feeling 2012 might just be one of the greatest years in anime history :p
Feb 14, 2020 2:12 PM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
so after yet another 9 for Shinsekai yori, do you slowly but surely get the feeling 2012 might just be one of the greatest years in anime history :p

A few months ago I was discussing my favorite years and after a brief analysis, 2010 was bestowed as the best year. From that point forward, 2010 is my baseline; both 2010 and 2012 have essentially the same average rating, however there’s one substantial difference, and that is the amount of titles that I’ve completed during 2012 (almost double when compared to 2010).

My philosophy is quality over quantity, so I’ll start by listing my Anime rated 9 or higher (tiebreaker after considering the weighted scores):

2010:

Angel Beats!
Durarara!!
Suzumiya Haruhi no Shoushitsu
Yosuga no Sora

2012:

Another
Fate/Zero 2nd Season
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Movie 2 Eien no Monogatari
Nisemonogatari
Shinsekai yori
To LOVE-Ru Darkness

2012 wins by a fair margin and I still have a few high profile titles that I haven’t watched yet. And I hope that 2013 (or another year) can be even better!
Feb 14, 2020 4:59 PM

Mar 2015
so the obvious question now is of course:

what exactly made you dislike the yaoi tongue kiss to the point that it cost the show a potential 10?

you may as well give overall thoughts. It would be stupid not to ask when you gave it a 9 and i have it on my favorites lol

SY might just be my favorite show to talk about ever to be honest.
Feb 19, 2020 8:28 AM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
So the obvious question now is of course: what exactly made you dislike the yaoi tongue kiss to the point that it cost the show a potential 10?

you may as well give overall thoughts. It would be stupid not to ask when you gave it a 9 and i have it on my favorites lol

SY might just be my favorite show to talk about ever to be honest.

Warning: The following post contains major spoilers for Shinsekai yori.

Feb 19, 2020 2:24 PM

Mar 2015
i shall also ask three more specific questions before moving on from Shinsekai yori ;)

Feb 20, 2020 12:06 PM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
I shall also ask three more specific questions before moving on from Shinsekai yori ;)

Warning: The following post contains major spoilers for Shinsekai yori.

Feb 27, 2020 10:50 PM

Mar 2015
What did you think of Hyoukas rare mix of mystery and slice of life?

Favorite character? Eru used to win the big best girl tournament back in the days at Monias. You think she is worthy? ^^

Looks like you continue to have a ball lately. You like everything you see it seems (and if you dont its only 4 eps like the last completion). 2012 is getting better and better and better. I wish i could join you on your time travel haha

Feb 28, 2020 9:56 AM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:

Favorite character? Eru used to win the big best girl tournament back in the days at Monias. You think she is worthy? ^^

Looks like you continue to have a ball lately. You like everything you see it seems (and if you dont its only 4 eps like the last completion). 2012 is getting better and better and better. I wish i could join you on your time travel haha

Psycho-Pass and Hyouka were my last two 2012 Anime and my philosophy is saving the best for the last. Well, deciding what is "best" without actually watching an Anime is difficult, so my PTW order is determined by my own expectations, comments from other people, MAL ranking, preferred genres and the unknown works of my mind.

Now that I’ve officially started 2013, you should already know which will be my most anticipated 2013 title; here’s a hint: a previous season is listed in my favorite section. It might sound strange for me saying this, but watching older Anime doesn’t feel like a time travel to me; since I’ve a methodical approach, I just undergo a smooth transition between the years and besides, Anime from 2009 and onwards have a modern aesthetics.

Is it possible to have a mystery Anime without crime and violence? Hyouka consistently demonstrates so. The story is grounded in reality, therefore we don’t see high school kids solving a murder case, and instead all scenarios are plausible and are resolved in a realistic manner.

Hyouka brilliantly introduces the mystery cases through every day experiences, and a couple of them seemed like they would be merely Slice of Life episodes, like the cultural festival (that turns into the club theft case) and the last episode with the doll festival that had to change their procession route at the last minute.

The mysteries are slowly introduced and the characters are not forced to solve them; they could ignore them and there won’t be any real repercussions. Hyouka aims to create a peaceful and relaxing environment, in which allures the audience with a few hints and through clever writing, delivers an engaging experience.

At the beginning of the story Houtarou lacks motivation, and Eru is the magical spark that sets the wheels in motion. Eru looks incredibly cute whenever she says "I’m curious", and this is because she has an innocent and playful personality. She genuinely is interested in why things happen, and her curiosity is contagious (those beautiful sparkling eyes!). There’s an artistic scene in which her hair grows and entangles Houtarou, and all of a sudden our apathetic protagonist feels attracted to this girl he barely knows and also triggers his own sense of curiosity. Still at this point, he will continue to say that he doesn’t want a rose colored high school life, although that will gradually change as he spends more time with Eru.

Eru is my favorite character of the series, although there are better girls than her; personally I liked more Mashiro Shiina from Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo. Having said that, Eru’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all.
Feb 28, 2020 11:51 AM

Mar 2015
Puchkov said:
PhKay said:

Psycho-Pass and Hyouka were my last two 2012 Anime and my philosophy is saving the best for the last. Well, deciding what is "best" without actually watching an Anime is difficult, so my PTW order is determined by my own expectations, comments from other people, MAL ranking, preferred genres and the unknown works of my mind.

Now that I’ve officially started 2013, you should already know which will be my most anticipated 2013 title; here’s a hint: a previous season is listed in my favorite section. It might sound strange for me saying this, but watching older Anime doesn’t feel like a time travel to me; since I’ve a methodical approach, I just undergo a smooth transition between the years and besides, Anime from 2009 and onwards have a modern aesthetics.

Is it possible to have a mystery Anime without crime and violence? Hyouka consistently demonstrates so. The story is grounded in reality, therefore we don’t see high school kids solving a murder case, and instead all scenarios are plausible and are resolved in a realistic manner.

Hyouka brilliantly introduces the mystery cases through every day experiences, and a couple of them seemed like they would be merely Slice of Life episodes, like the cultural festival (that turns into the club theft case) and the last episode with the doll festival that had to change their procession route at the last minute.

The mysteries are slowly introduced and the characters are not forced to solve them; they could ignore them and there won’t be any real repercussions. Hyouka aims to create a peaceful and relaxing environment, in which allures the audience with a few hints and through clever writing, delivers an engaging experience.

At the beginning of the story Houtarou lacks motivation, and Eru is the magical spark that sets the wheels in motion. Eru looks incredibly cute whenever she says "I’m curious", and this is because she has an innocent and playful personality. She genuinely is interested in why things happen, and her curiosity is contagious (those beautiful sparkling eyes!). There’s an artistic scene in which her hair grows and entangles Houtarou, and all of a sudden our apathetic protagonist feels attracted to this girl he barely knows and also triggers his own sense of curiosity. Still at this point, he will continue to say that he doesn’t want a rose colored high school life, although that will gradually change as he spends more time with Eru.

Eru is my favorite character of the series, although there are better girls than her; personally I liked more Mashiro Shiina from Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo. Having said that, Eru’s popularity doesn’t surprise me at all.

ok so you are trying to save the best for last each year taking all kind of things into account...i gotta ask: has this ever gone horribly wrong? haha be it for a show or maybe even an entire year...

As for what you look forward to the most in 2013...well if it isn´t the one sitting on MY favorites ;) I definitely cannot wait for that because Monogatari 2nd seems to be almost unanimously regarded to be the best season among fans. I have to say Bake and Nise feel almost like nothing more than introductions to the series once i watched everything that followed. Bake is mainly there to introduce you to the girls with these 2ep short arcs and yet, it is already SO SO GOOD (it does have the HitagixKoyomi beach date though which is one of the most beautifully romantic scenes i ever saw hehe)

I assume you will save it for quite late then according to your saving-up policy.

You are totally right a very special thing about Hyouka is that the mysteries hardly matter to the point they could just ignore them. I may add: that is exactly hat Houtarou would do if it wasn´t for Eru so for this fact alone i was always very invested in Houtarous change as a person thanks to Eru and yes, her KININARIMASU! is legendary charming ^^

-------

as far as Pet na Konojo is concerned, i have always struggled to like Shiina. I don´t know, she can hardly be blamed for her cluelessness and unintentional harshness at some points but i feel like all other girls deserve their pure love to be reciprocated more. Go ahead and tell me why i am wrong about Mashiro ;)

I was glad Rita was into a different guy as the only female in the series. I love how confident and aggressive her approach is!

Feb 28, 2020 2:43 PM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
Ok so you are trying to save the best for last each year taking all kind of things into account...i gotta ask: has this ever gone horribly wrong? haha be it for a show or maybe even an entire year...

As for what you look forward to the most in 2013...well if it isn´t the one sitting on MY favorites ;) I definitely cannot wait for that because Monogatari 2nd seems to be almost unanimously regarded to be the best season among fans. I have to say Bake and Nise feel almost like nothing more than introductions to the series once i watched everything that followed. Bake is mainly there to introduce you to the girls with these 2ep short arcs and yet, it is already SO SO GOOD (it does have the HitagixKoyomi beach date though which is one of the most beautifully romantic scenes i ever saw hehe)

I assume you will save it for quite late then according to your saving-up policy.

You are totally right a very special thing about Hyouka is that the mysteries hardly matter to the point they could just ignore them. I may add: that is exactly hat Houtarou would do if it wasn´t for Eru so for this fact alone i was always very invested in Houtarous change as a person thanks to Eru and yes, her KININARIMASU! is legendary charming ^^

-------

as far as Pet na Konojo is concerned, i have always struggled to like Shiina. I don´t know, she can hardly be blamed for her cluelessness and unintentional harshness at some points but i feel like all other girls deserve their pure love to be reciprocated more. Go ahead and tell me why i am wrong about Mashiro ;)

I was glad Rita was into a different guy as the only female in the series. I love how confident and aggressive her approach is!

I’ve never had a bad experience by having a predefined PTW order (since 2016), and even for the first half of the 2000 decade, there were always some titles that were my landmarks, such as:

Hajime no Ippo (2000)
Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (2001)
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (2002)
Planetes (2003)
Howl no Ugoku Shiro | Samurai Champloo (2004)
Mushishi (2005)

I watched the bulk of the 80s and 90s Anime during 2015 and 2016, and have to admit that watching DVD quality Anime (4:3 scale @ 480p) was a pain. Now don’t want to complain too much here because there are a lot of titles older than 2000 that were released on Blu-ray, and that makes a difference.

Monogatari Series Second Season is by far my most anticipated 2013 Anime (also the one that I’m saving for last); it’s been that way since last year when I completed Bakemonogatari / Nisemonogatari. I remember back then when you asked me if I was going to binge watch all the seasons in a row and I already knew that I wasn’t going to do it, because I need to savor this Anime. Specifically for the Monogatari Series, I’ll break them up into their respective years and that always gives me something to look forward to.

I already awarded two 10s to the Monogatari Series, so if that doesn’t tell you how much hype I’ve, than nothing will. And also the fact that two of my favorite characters are from these series as well. The more time goes by, the more I want to watch it, so it’s a vicious circle.

Now moving onto Sakura-sou no Pet na Kanojo: my biggest issue was to decide which girl was my favorite one, and both Mashiro and Nanami are equally adorable. It’s really hard to choose when both of them deserve happiness.

I like shy girls (the Kuudere archetype), so this is more of a personal preference. Mashiro is a special case because she is somewhere in between a mild Autism and the Asperger syndrome; she lacks the social abilities to properly communicate with others, and assumes that she doesn’t need to explain the context, because the context is already understood for everyone else. Well, that’s certainly not the case and these misunderstandings are hilarious.

Mashiro is a pure soul, she doesn’t care about social status, money or academic success; she pursues whatever it is that captivates her interest. Since her talent is overwhelming, other people like Sorata will be jealous of her. Mashiro is too innocent in this regard, so she doesn’t comprehend why other people get angry at her, however she will never hold any bitterness no matter what.

Due to her condition, Mashiro is not self-sufficient, therefore she relies on the help of others for daily activities. Mashiro slowly develops an emotional attachment to Sorata; he goes above and beyond to help her and he never expects something in return, and he definitely has the patience to deal with Mashiro. Sorata is far from being perfect; jealousy in a male is rather ugly to watch, and the fact that he continuously fails despite putting all his effort, doesn’t sit well with his self-esteem. Even though Sorata consciously knows that feeling jealous for the success of other people is childish, he cannot dismiss these negative emotions.

While Sorata is in the process to overcome his jealousy, he grows as a person, and at the same time Mashiro’s feelings for him become stronger. Mashiro in due time will also exhibit jealousy when she notices that Sorata and Nanami are spending more time together, and the way she expresses these new emotions is tremendously cute.

Both Sorata and Mashiro have flaws and as they progressively understand each other, they become a better version of themselves. I personally enjoyed Mashiro’s voice, and even though it might be perceived as cold by some people, for me it sounds really sexy.
Mar 6, 2020 4:53 PM

Mar 2015
Looks like your start to 2013 wasn´t all that great was it? Well it is not entirely unexpected given you save the better stuff for last.
I haven´t watched anythng you watched so far so you will have to keep it spoilerfree ^^

btw since you save the best stuff, how do you handle things on the other end of the spectrum? How do you try to estimate what could be good enough to watch early and what to skip entirely?
Mar 13, 2020 12:50 PM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
Looks like your start to 2013 wasn´t all that great was it? Well it is not entirely unexpected given you save the better stuff for last.
I haven´t watched anythng you watched so far so you will have to keep it spoilerfree ^^

btw since you save the best stuff, how do you handle things on the other end of the spectrum? How do you try to estimate what could be good enough to watch early and what to skip entirely?

I didn’t have any expectations for my initial 2013 batch and would consider them a warm up for what’s coming next. As of today, I’ve never watched anything with an average score below 6.00, and I rarely watch anything below 6.50.
Mar 30, 2020 8:11 PM

Mar 2015
Thoughts on Kaze Tachinu?

How are things in Costa Rica? Are you on lockdown? Are you fine? ^^
Mar 31, 2020 11:02 AM

Aug 2015
PhKay said:
Thoughts on Kaze Tachinu?

How are things in Costa Rica? Are you on lockdown? Are you fine? ^^

The COVID-19 is not a serious problem here in Costa Rica (around 300 confirmed cases), although the government has taken the standard precautions such as closing schools and cancelling public events. In that sense, the situation here is like everywhere else.

Now moving onto Kaze Tachinu: this movie blends historical events with the passion of one man in pursuit of his dream, to design and build aircrafts.

Warning: Major spoilers ahead.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime Roulette #86 [Re-sharing as it's now an AWCc Collab | Sign-Ups Till 2/23] ( 1 2 3 )

Crazee - Feb 8

107 by Eleanora1315 »»
Yesterday, 9:53 AM

Sticky: » Anime Roulette #87

Crazee - Apr 7

33 by CsillaLoli »»
Yesterday, 6:44 AM

Sticky: » Intermittent Roulette — Anime Edition ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Mikochondria - Apr 28, 2018

855 by trojangirl12 »»
Apr 24, 7:18 PM

Sticky: » 🍃 SPECIAL EVENT 🍃 : SPRING MANGA ROULETTE

TitanInsane - Apr 14

6 by RenxKentaro »»
Apr 23, 4:00 PM

Sticky: » Manga Roulette #81

Demonarion - Mar 16

14 by jimanator »»
Apr 16, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.