Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Sep 17, 2020 2:21 PM

Mar 2018
I go through a lot of reviews, because I report ones that have spoilers or break guidelines. I've read some fantastic ones, but a lot of "I like this because it is good and it is like the manga and it is very pretty and it has a cool protagonist but not as cool as Goku" reviews, or full on angry rants.

For personal use, the only reviews I take seriously are ones that admit positives and negatives about the show, regardless of if they liked it or not. Honesty matters most to me, not the "I'm trying to write a funny/gimmick review".

Side note, the best review I've found was a wholeass crêpe recipe on OPM2. I saved it, bc I knew it was gonna be reported. Maybe I'll try making them this weekend
Sep 17, 2020 2:22 PM

Jul 2019
I'll sometimes read reviews on shows that I don't like after I've finished them. Shows with an average score of four and below give the best laughs a lot of the time. I never read reviews when deciding whether or not to watch something since it's all opinion-based anyway.

I almost never read positive reviews except when someone promotes it on their "about me" page. I like to support others when they've worked hard on something.

A shadow always
high fives back.
Unless you're a mal user.
Then you'll get a whack.
.-- .- .. - |𓆨
Sep 17, 2020 2:47 PM

Dec 2018
If I read a review it’s generally after having seen the anime and I’m doing it just for some laughs, or so I can hunt down anyone who doesn’t share my opinion and call them a dumb poopy head. The only other time I read a review is to make sure something I have interest in watching, but contains questionable cover art/cast, isn't going to turn into some siscon/lolicon trash.

@GodMilkk “ So if i take this reviews serious that means that I SHOULD NOT watch most of the thousands of animes that have been made for the last 60 years, because apparently MOST of them are bad.”

This is illogical. People can have different opinions than you, does not mean you shouldn’t watch something, nor does it mean their opinion is invalid or.... not serious? I think pineapple on pizza is a disgusting crime and I can find thousands of people who agree. I can also find thousands of people who think it’s good. This doesn’t mean either side should “not be taken seriously”, it means they have different taste.

It’s also illogical that you’re saying like one out of five of the top reviews is negative and then using that as the general consensus, if only one out of five top reviews is negative that means the majority of viewers liked it.

I get you're being a bit exaggerative and sarcastic here and there but I don't get your point.

Are you saying people shouldn’t be allowed to review something without giving objective criticism? If so I disagree, a large majority of taste is subjective and I think everyone is entitled to their opinion no matter how shitty it is.

Or are you saying people should think for themselves and not bandwagon behind popular opinions, and not parrot others opinions on things they actually haven’t seen? That much I can agree with but good luck getting society as a whole to think independently. Humans are basically cattle, just being herded by media and government instead of a rancher.
Hokage_JasonSep 17, 2020 2:54 PM
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Sep 17, 2020 2:59 PM

Dec 2018
thiago52192 said:
It depends on what's in written. Yes, we can easily find ridiculous reviews in this site. Look at the 4th most voted review of SNK Season 3, made by one of the most famous pseudo-critics of this site: Karhu. I honestly believe it's safe to say his reviews are objectively wrong. He doesn't even try to hide he is being biased on what he writes. He deliberatly twist the perspective of certain events to make people falsely believes that a certain event had a cliche/bad writting execution, when the event has so much at stake and importance to the overall well written plot, proven by events form S3P2.

However, reviews are also the last bit of hope when you have a legitimately overrated anime. When I read negative reviews of shows like Kimetsu no Yaiba, Tower of God, SAO Alicization WoU and even Evangelion, I shout a big "THANK YOU!" from relief there's people who noticed the big mistakes from thoses series.

I noticed some mistakes in "thoses" sentances of yours. I totally get what you're saying though, any time I see someone else say "yeah HxH is okay at best, pretty absurdly overrated here on MAL", I instantly feel a sense of kinship with them.
Lolicons are scum.
BABYMETAL is more metal than Metallica.
Naruto is objectively the best anime ever.
HxH 99' is decent. HxH 11' is bad.
Sep 17, 2020 3:11 PM
Jul 2018
I think one of the problem with MAL reviews in general, stems from the fact that most people who write a review on an anime, will be people who feel passionately about the anime; meaning 7 times out of 10, they'll write a review if they really like the anime (usually scoring it a 10) or really hate the anime (usually scoring it a 1). Now of course, there are many, MANY exceptions to this idea I'm presenting, but I think that's the gist of it. So because of that, if you decide to watch an anime based on those extreme review scores, then things get a little chaotic.

But there are definitely good reviewers on MAL. Plenty. I occasionally read a review to get a basic gist of the quality of the anime.
Sep 17, 2020 5:46 PM

Jan 2020
Are very goods for give me laughs with all that hate speech for certain animes

Sep 17, 2020 5:57 PM

May 2018
I don't like taking anything on mal serious , I don't whatch animes with bad scores but in every anime review I read , I always end up finding some haters.
If u didn't like a show that many ppl enjoy it , then its simply not for u.
until this day I can't force myself to finich muchichi , I find it boring (I even slept during an episode)
I don't think its bad , its just not made for me...
Sep 17, 2020 5:58 PM
May 2020
I don’t unless the anime is a 5.0 or less. If it is that bad those would be the last anime’s I’ll watch.
Sep 18, 2020 5:52 PM

Aug 2014
They are fine, some are really good, some are just ok. The moderators often do a good job about them. Its still much better than most websites when it comes to reviews made by users.
Sep 18, 2020 5:57 PM

Nov 2019
95% are pure biased garbage lol, they even make objectively wrong claims. MAL isn't the best place to get honest and good reviews

Sep 21, 2020 12:45 PM
Aug 2020
I never took MyAnimelist reviews seriously. It got worse when I read on that one anime Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out which the entire "review" was just the user complaining that people made fun of him on Twitter. Thankfully it got taken down. It got replaced with a substitute review of his friend or lover or stalker, I don't know which also got taken down.

It was then, I realized that a good number of reviewers/fanbase on this site are just toxic and looking to provoke others.
Sep 21, 2020 1:03 PM

Sep 2018
Most reviews are pretty trashy, but its by far not every single one out there. What i think many reviewers on this site do wrong is that they state their opinion about a specific thing in the show but never give reasons for this opinion, understandable reasoning is what makes great reviews i can disagree with.

A example is, most reviews that say "the show was boring" say that without giving reasons why they found it boring or what could be improved, disliking a show for being "boring" is a valid criticism if you say what you found boring and why. Of course if you do not state the reason its still your opinion and valid for your review, but its hard for anyone to care about the point if you just state your opinion, i read a negative review to see whats negative about the show and not that the reviewer found it boring for some unknown reason. Even just saying the show is paced to slowly for my taste is enough since that gives the reader some understanding, if the reader also does not like slower paced shows he has a indicator and if he does not have a problem with slower paced shows he can just ignore or disagree with that certain criticism.

Reviews are a subjective thing, they can state objective flaws in the show but in the end the score that is given is 100% subjective and based on the persons taste and how much they care for some objective more nit picky flaws.
Thats why when i look at reviews i dont look at the score and more about the actual flaws and positives mentioned, people score differently, some say a "6" is a negative score for a review and that is something i wholeheartedly disagree with.

PS: Taking a review serious does not mean that you agree with it on every point, you can still read a review even before watching with a score of 4 that states many flaws you think of not so important and thus you think you could like the show even though the reviewer seems not to. And again you can't generalize the score since people score differently.
-Mullerio-Sep 21, 2020 1:09 PM
Sep 21, 2020 1:07 PM
Jul 2013
For the most part I don't. Primarly because most top reviewers will be people who praise a series and gets upvoted to the top, regardless of the actual quality of the series itself.

Also, standards greatly vary between people. To some people something extremely stupid will be a masterpiece, while to another it'll look like utter garbage.

From time to time I do find it enjoyable to see what others think, but they focus on entirely different things for the most part, while also selectively removing the bad parts off their review, and thus giving a fake impression regarding a show and make it sound better than it actually is.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Criticism You Don't Understand. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

92 by Lhundrup »»
2 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

11 by Timeline_man »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you have any special memories from the anime fandom?

RobertBobert - Today

7 by jestyn »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you track anime milestons?

zombie_pegasus - 1 hour ago

5 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
20 minutes ago

» Best Trap Character in Anime? ( 1 2 )

GoatPieceLuffy - 5 hours ago

91 by Abomination_suah »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.