Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 21, 2018 6:36 PM
Mar 2015
It's time I start this series, but is it better that I watch it or read it? What are the ups and downs of both?
Apr 21, 2018 11:04 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
It depends on the kind of experience you're looking for I suppose.

The anime is very on point. Not much has changed in the adaptation other then in a few spots and a few panels cut. There's only one filler episode in s2 that just adds to the internships of the side characters. And the recaps at the beginning of s2/s3. The music and voice acting really highlights all the greatness of scenes and dialogue to their fullest extent and I'd say that the animation has been in the top tier of shonen adaptions. It's very obvious the heart the team whose working behind this has to put in inserts from the manga and quite a few easter eggs if you catch them.

What I get from the manga though is a lot more content. Horikoshi puts a lot of extra stuff in his in-betweens of his chapters. Character overviews, details and redefining information of certain scenes, some extra chapters that have made it into the ovas and little scenes in the anime, and even some insight into why he created characters and purposes of stuff for later on; even hints for stuff down the line. (What I will caution though is that the Fallen Angel fan translations are pretty inaccurate to a lot of crucial dialogue, the VIZ translation is much better but not perfect, which is why I think the anime is kind of crucial for that kind of thing.)

What I suggest is watch the anime, because even if you like the manga you're gonna want to watch the anime anyways. But I think if you fall in love with the characters and society/world building from the anime, then the manga will be there to give you more and add on to the experience overall. And of course the manga is much farther then the anime because of the adaptation style, so you'll want to continue forward instead of tracking backwards.
Apr 22, 2018 9:33 AM
Mar 2016
Migi1527 said:
It's time I start this series, but is it better that I watch it or read it? What are the ups and downs of both?

Watch the anime until the current episode and then go over to the manga. The anime is really well adapted and imo does some things a lot better than the manga. The only issues the anime has imo were the art and animation in the middle of S1.

The manga is really great as well, but for some reasons the anime made some parts of the manga more enjoyable. Thus, I would recommend the anime over the manga until you're caught up with it. I think they're not that far off from each other.
Apr 22, 2018 10:23 AM
a car

Jun 2017
You could go either way with this one.

I think the manga is better, personally. Also, depending on how quickly you can get through a volume, you'd be able to arrive at the "good stuff" a lot faster than watching the anime, which takes the full duration of season 1.

Oh, and Horikoshi's art is godly. Yes, better than the anime.
Apr 22, 2018 10:31 AM

Oct 2012
manga, allways go for the original, and watch the adaptation later

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 421 Discussion

deg - Apr 24

13 by ryzxgum »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 373 Discussion

MegamiRem - Nov 18, 2022

24 by KoniginElle »»
Today, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 420 Discussion

deg - Apr 10

25 by Crisdarto »»
Apr 22, 8:48 AM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 416 Discussion

deg - Mar 7

24 by omgtouya »»
Apr 20, 3:06 PM

Poll: » Boku no Hero Academia Chapter 403 Discussion ( 1 2 )

deg - Oct 10, 2023

53 by tmsmnrq »»
Apr 19, 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.