Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 21, 2018 3:18 AM

Nov 2013
At first I think it's a little bit forced, and overreacting from Hina, but I just watch the 5th episode and the way they make bullying such a complicated matter, I understand the situation, I haven't been bullied tho, but I'm a pro at being alone like Rei hahahaha
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jan 7, 2019 3:04 PM

Jul 2011
Her response is EXACTLY what it should be. Trust me.
May 9, 2020 8:46 AM

May 2020
This may be a year or two late, but Hina's drama was definitely not overdone but realistic in all senses, as many people here have stated.

But the reason as to why people would think it is in the first place may have to do with just how little the Western anime community knows of Japanese society in general. Yes, bullying is evident in every society; no matter where you come from, bullying exists in some form or matter. However, in Japan, bullying is a topic that shouldn't be taken so lightly. There is a reason as to why Japan has one of the highest number of suicides among other countries, and youth bullying is a part of that.

While the education systems of other countries may constantly downplay the act of bullying and promotes the idea of standing up against the bully through whatever means, this doesn't exactly work in a conformist society like Japan. As displayed by Hina's classmates and homeroom teacher (whom many people despise but is real in how she acted), the Japanese do not want to get involved in drama and often turn a blind eyes to these sort of matters. They understand if they do get involved, who knows what will happen to them the next day, week, month, or even year. And that's exactly why Hina is probably one of the strongest characters in Sangatsu: despite knowing what would happen to her if she had gotten involved with the bullying, she still stood up for Chiho and took on the bullies head on.

And what some people don't get is that Hina isn't just sad, but angry at her bullies for even putting her and Chiho through this mess. Angry at her teacher for not speaking up on the topic. Angry at her classmates for running away rather than standing up. And angry at herself for not being able to do anything for Chiho in the end. Also, Hina definitely developed as a character once this arc included. If it were season 1 Hina that had to gut the thought of Takahashi leaving Sangatsu City, she definitely would have been devastated, breaking down in a fit of tears and probably wouldn't have accompanied Rei and Takahashi for dinner.

Before anyone writes this off as just unjustified ramblling, this bullying arc was so powerful in its message that the anime had been used by the Japanese government for an anti-bullying campaign. Source here

If that doesn't prove how effective Hina's arc is, I don't know what else to say.
TsukkomiiMay 9, 2020 8:52 AM
May 9, 2020 3:02 PM
Aug 2015
Tsukkomii said:
This may be a year or two late, but Hina's drama was definitely not overdone but realistic in all senses, as many people here have stated.

But the reason as to why people would think it is in the first place may have to do with just how little the Western anime community knows of Japanese society in general. Yes, bullying is evident in every society; no matter where you come from, bullying exists in some form or matter. However, in Japan, bullying is a topic that shouldn't be taken so lightly. There is a reason as to why Japan has one of the highest number of suicides among other countries, and youth bullying is a part of that.

While the education systems of other countries may constantly downplay the act of bullying and promotes the idea of standing up against the bully through whatever means, this doesn't exactly work in a conformist society like Japan. As displayed by Hina's classmates and homeroom teacher (whom many people despise but is real in how she acted), the Japanese do not want to get involved in drama and often turn a blind eyes to these sort of matters. They understand if they do get involved, who knows what will happen to them the next day, week, month, or even year. And that's exactly why Hina is probably one of the strongest characters in Sangatsu: despite knowing what would happen to her if she had gotten involved with the bullying, she still stood up for Chiho and took on the bullies head on.

And what some people don't get is that Hina isn't just sad, but angry at her bullies for even putting her and Chiho through this mess. Angry at her teacher for not speaking up on the topic. Angry at her classmates for running away rather than standing up. And angry at herself for not being able to do anything for Chiho in the end. Also, Hina definitely developed as a character once this arc included. If it were season 1 Hina that had to gut the thought of Takahashi leaving Sangatsu City, she definitely would have been devastated, breaking down in a fit of tears and probably wouldn't have accompanied Rei and Takahashi for dinner.

Before anyone writes this off as just unjustified ramblling, this bullying arc was so powerful in its message that the anime had been used by the Japanese government for an anti-bullying campaign. Source here

If that doesn't prove how effective Hina's arc is, I don't know what else to say.

That's definitely an interesting insight, I didn't consider the cultural context, that support what is happening during this arc.

That said, I have no problem with all the stuff that happens during this arc. My original complain was only about Hina behavior.

Sangatsu totally blew my mind and is by far one of my 3 favorite animes of all time, but god that 4th episode was a bit painful to watch. My problem is that Hina really cries about anything this episode (see the forum "Dear god, Hina can cry about anything", that I agree with). Again, I know that some people that have been through this manage to relate a lot more and understand, but for me something feels off about Hina behavior during this episode.

Anyway, Sangatsu is a once-in-the-decade anime, and talking shit about a mild detail isn't doing justice to my love for it.
May 10, 2020 2:19 AM

May 2020
TheAskald said:
Tsukkomii said:

That's definitely an interesting insight, I didn't consider the cultural context, that support what is happening during this arc.

That said, I have no problem with all the stuff that happens during this arc. My original complain was only about Hina behavior.

Sangatsu totally blew my mind and is by far one of my 3 favorite animes of all time, but god that 4th episode was a bit painful to watch. My problem is that Hina really cries about anything this episode (see the forum "Dear god, Hina can cry about anything", that I agree with). Again, I know that some people that have been through this manage to relate a lot more and understand, but for me something feels off about Hina behavior during this episode.

Anyway, Sangatsu is a once-in-the-decade anime, and talking shit about a mild detail isn't doing justice to my love for it.

Ah, no worries, I can definitely see where people are coming from when they think Hina cries a lot throughout the series, although personally I felt like the times where she did cry was an appropriate reaction to whatever was happening.

I only meant to address the people that believed the drama was being overdone, when in reality, it’s a topic that shouldn’t be taken very lightly. At least the Newcomers Tournament was concurrent with the Hina arc for those wanting shogi.
May 11, 2020 11:45 AM

Jul 2016
Hina is the reason that 3 gatsu is a mess. The forced drama of her arc is so cringy and boring. Because I seen that iteration in other series, so it feels fake and unearned. This show is just cheesy drama flick that nothing to do in shogi.

Jun 10, 2020 11:54 PM

May 2008
I agree. The bullying was minor but her reaction was blew out of proportions. It's the same with everything in this anime - the humor, kind interactions between characters etc. everything is crancked up to the max and makes me feel uncomfortable. I guess you have to have emotional problems or history of being bullied to enjoy this. To me it's so boring because of the plot (or rather lack of plot) and interactions between characters looks fake - nobody is this lawful good in real life.
Feb 7, 2021 12:25 PM

Sep 2014
celebes said:
I agree. The bullying was minor but her reaction was blew out of proportions. It's the same with everything in this anime - the humor, kind interactions between characters etc. everything is crancked up to the max and makes me feel uncomfortable. I guess you have to have emotional problems or history of being bullied to enjoy this. To me it's so boring because of the plot (or rather lack of plot) and interactions between characters looks fake - nobody is this lawful good in real life.

I don't want to participate in a contest of who's got the saddest backstory because it's completely lame and embarrassing. But as a person who grew up in a very toxic environment both in family and in school, the drama felt really overblown. It's not like it's unrealistic, because I know for a fact that this is realistic. However, the way the show treat the character's problems like it's the end of the world annoyed me given that the characters didn't seem to be in such dire situation like they say while I looked back at how I grew up. I would be able to enjoy this anime a lot more if the characters were more humble with their emotions, but I know it's a cultural things as this anime is intended for Japanese people with a specific societal background. Though, I should be able to enjoy the anime if it's wasn't for the reasons I listed and the ridiculous animation and inner monologues. I like realistic drama, but the execution of this anime and my perception I have with the themes make everything about this show look bad and annoying.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» 3-gatsu no Lion is getting a season 3 ( 1 2 )

ranzer - May 26, 2020

68 by Gaurxv »»
Apr 22, 4:56 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2018

247 by Matdredalia »»
Apr 13, 11:24 PM

» 2023: Who else hasn't given up hope for S3?

FMmatron - Jan 10, 2023

43 by DatRandomDude »»
Apr 4, 9:26 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2018

197 by anshumankrsingh »»
Mar 30, 5:03 AM

» Series recap before reading the manga

Lakitu64 - Mar 12

4 by Lakitu64 »»
Mar 14, 6:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.