Forum Settings
Forums

Suggestions for Sites and Apps like MAL for TV, movies, books, etc.

New
Mar 19, 2018 6:32 PM

Jun 2011
MAL is the perfect example of something that works because it intentionally sticks to a limited range of content: Japanese-made anime and manga. If you use MAL and its many features as much as I do, there is a decent chance that, like me, you have tried to find websites and applications to manage your other interests that lie beyond what MAL offers. This question has even been brought up before both in 2008 and in 2012. But it's 2018, and things have definitely changed since then. No one wants to try out or use a bunch of different sites and apps before finding something as refined as MAL is for anime and manga. Nor does anyone want to put their eggs in one basket only to find out that they have made too many compromises and have to re-manage everything on a different service.

I know this is a long post so here is the bottom line: if you’ve tried something to help collect and explore your personal interests for other media such as TV, Movies, Books, Comics, Games, hobbies and beyond, let’s hear all about them!

To make it easy for your suggestions in this thread to be searched and read, it would be really helpful to write and order your posts with the following format:
the name of the service, including a link

A) its available platform(s) (i.e. “web” or “just iOS app”)
    B) the scope/range of the content/media that it covers (i.e. “US TV and Movies”, or “just movies, but includes foreign, indie, and short films”)
    C) the main focus(es) or function(s) of the service (i.e. a forum/community, a utility for tracking/listing/rating/reviewing/data entry, and/or database/specialized search engine/resource)
    D) your personal review; why you use or don’t use it over other services, including any additional external or personal factors that influence your preferences
    E) your objective rating (out of ten) of the quality, complexity, and/or general level of accomplishment, based on the what the service is aimed at providing, the span of its service, and the overall fulfillment of a user’s need

Examples: Here are a few small reviews of some services (given the premise my post) that I have personally tried out:
Episoder

A) iOS app
    B) TV Shows only
    C) Tracking/completion-based. No community. No database.
    D) inconsistent quality of the service, lack of multiplatform support, lack of sufficient users leading to finite sustainability and upkeep; basically underfunded with no parent site, and lacking accuracy and completeness in its data
    E) Score: 3

Fandom

A) Web-based
    B) For a wide variety of media including TV, Movies, Games, Comics, Books, anime, manga and beyond
    C) Database
    D) no list making capabilities, but it is a fantastic resource and search engine
    E) Score: 4

IMDb

A) Web-based, has app
    B) For movies and TV shows
    C) Can make lists, search movies, and find show times
    D) Hard to navigate, can only add to watchlist and not other lists, hard to manage lists, but you can filter by genre
    E) Score: 6

The Movie DB

A) Web-based, multiple app clients
    B) For Movies but includes TV shows (unsure how extensive)
    C) Obviously extensive database, but pretty decent list capabilities and discussions as well.
    D) Easy to navigate aesthetically pleasing, easy to add to lists, watchlist, favorite, and review.
    E) Score: 9

Ravelry

A) Web-based
    B) For knitting and crocheting
    C) Forum, materials database, stockpile management, project search and project storage
    D) This is basically the closest thing I could find to MAL in terms of overall interest-specific functionality
    E) Score: 10

Also, in the MAL Gamer sticky, it lists the following, but it is far from extensive and I’d love to hear more thorough suggestions:
- VNDB.org
- Backloggery.com
- gamerDNA.com
- playfire.com
- vgcollect.com
- GiantBomb.com
Euphgirl44Mar 19, 2018 6:39 PM
Mar 19, 2018 6:51 PM

Apr 2013
i use trakt, letterboxd, goodreads, vndb

More topics from this board

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

42 by zzz »»
7 seconds ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

20 by blueblur »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you pay attention to forum signatures?

PostMahouShoujo - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
27 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

26 by Adnash »»
40 minutes ago

» Why don't boys wear dresses until they start working?

vasipi4946 - Nov 22, 2023

24 by Bruh69XD »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.