Forum Settings
Forums

I'm running out off psychological drama/tragedy manga...

New
Feb 21, 2018 9:50 AM

Nov 2015
Seriously. I love most of Inio Asano's stuff. Basically depressive or socially inept characters with bittersweet romance, that stuff. Most currently Three Days of Happyness was pretty good, but i feel like i already either have read or at least know of the big names of that kind of manga genre. Maybe someone can surprise me?

Important: It has to be complete, i like reading through the entire work in few days. Waiting for new chapters isn't my cup of tea. Adult characters (20s/30s) prefered, but not mandatory.
Feb 21, 2018 11:21 AM

Mar 2016
Check out

The climber
I am a hero
Homunculus

And maybe
Eden:its an endless world
NGE (i prefer the manga over anime)
ExtectFeb 21, 2018 12:31 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2018 12:14 PM
Jul 2018
Mondblut said:
Seriously. I love most of Inio Asano's stuff. Basically depressive or socially inept characters with bittersweet romance, that stuff. Most currently Three Days of Happyness was pretty good, but i feel like i already either have read or at least know of the big names of that kind of manga genre. Maybe someone can surprise me?

Important: It has to be complete, i like reading through the entire work in few days. Waiting for new chapters isn't my cup of tea. Adult characters (20s/30s) prefered, but not mandatory.

Have you read Shinsekai Yori? It's masked as an innocent anime about the lives of kids growing up, however, there is an underlying dark tone as you realize something is terribly wrong... There's plenty of sad, bittersweet romance and dark moments—so you may enjoy this. The story ends with the characters as adults, so, for the most part, you'll be seeing teenagers.

I do think the anime executed the emotion a lot better though, because of its unique art. I personally don't think the manga had the same effect. However, if you don't mind that, then the message that it is trying to send is portrayed just as well in both.
removed-userFeb 21, 2018 12:28 PM
Feb 21, 2018 12:27 PM

Sep 2008
So basically a psychological romance with somewhat “unusual” characters? Then:

Annarasumanara
Mahoraba
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
Usotsuki Mii-kun to Kowareta Maa-chan
Diamond Dust
Shi ni Itaru Yamai
+Dragon Head – dark psychological survival with bits of romance

Feb 21, 2018 3:43 PM

Nov 2015
Thanks everyone...

Though i should have specified my initial post maybe. Many of the mentioned manga are heavily relating on fantasy or supernatural elements. When i talk about drama/tragedy, i specifically search for stuff that is 100% grounded in reality and dealing with interpersonal relationships and character deveopement as the only story element.

Manga i liked that fall into that cathegory:

Oyasumi Punpun
Molester Man
Koe no Katachi
Aku no Hana
Onani Master Kurosawa
Solanin
Umibe no Onnanoko
Welcome to the NHK

stuff like that is what i'm searching for...

Toha said:

Annarasumanara
Mahoraba
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
Diamond Dust
Shi ni Itaru Yamai

Oh... There are some suggestions that look very promising. Thanks a lot.
MondblutFeb 21, 2018 3:51 PM
Feb 21, 2018 9:17 PM

Feb 2017
ai ren
About Death
Another
Ayeshah's Secret
Bastard webtoon
Doctor Du Ming
Fukashigi Philia
Hotel
Jisatsu Circle----gore
Kanojo wa Sore wo Gaman Dekinai
Les Misérables--------not translated,watch movie after finishing manga.
My Heart Is Beating
Negative Happy Chainsaw Edge
Onanie Master Kurosawa
the girl from class
Swweeet

Feb 21, 2018 9:28 PM

Mar 2016
But many of the series in your second post are not all really dark/tragic psychological or bittersweet series... they’re just well done drama. (Specifically silent voice)

I still think you should check out
https://myanimelist.net/manga/7375/Kokou_no_Hito and
https://myanimelist.net/manga/936/Homunculus
First, as Both are very similar to asano’s style (specifically Punpun)

What it seems like you’re looking for now is things like these?
https://myanimelist.net/manga/50217/Kamisama_ga_Uso_wo_Tsuku
https://myanimelist.net/manga/57711/Semete_Ano_Yuki_no_You_ni
https://myanimelist.net/manga/11734/Watashitachi_no_Shiawase_na_Jikan
https://myanimelist.net/manga/18939/Yasashii_Sekai_no_Tsukurikata

Additionally, these have other story elements but they are grounded in reality and some great series.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/145/Beck
https://myanimelist.net/manga/915/Rookies
https://myanimelist.net/manga/3285/Holyland
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 22, 2018 5:47 AM

Oct 2012
I know this isn't what you're asking for as it is not complete but as we share the exact same two favorite manga I need to tell you you are missing out sooo hard by not reading Berserk. I am not caught up myself but I will say at least there are parts that could have worked as a satisfying ending imo.

But have you read Himizu or Akira? They are both short and complete, and great psychological tragedies in their own right.

Edit ahh just read this
Many of the mentioned manga are heavily relating on fantasy or supernatural elements. When i talk about drama/tragedy, i specifically search for stuff that is 100% grounded in reality and dealing with interpersonal relationships and character deveopement as the only story element

I can literally promise you you're not going to find anything complete that fits all of this more than Berserk
ChromephoneFeb 22, 2018 5:51 AM
Feb 22, 2018 10:25 AM

Nov 2015
Just found out that i indeed haven't read everything by Asano...

Seems like Reiraku (https://myanimelist.net/manga/104272/Reiraku) could be another manga perfectly suited for me. Didn't know it was already finished.
Feb 24, 2018 5:35 AM

Nov 2015
changelog_ said:
Mondblut said:

Have you read Shinsekai Yori? It's masked as an innocent anime about the lives of kids growing up, however, there is an underlying dark tone as you realize something is terribly wrong... There's plenty of sad, bittersweet romance and dark moments—so you may enjoy this. The story ends with the characters as adults, so, for the most part, you'll be seeing teenagers.

I do think the anime executed the emotion a lot better though, because of its unique art. I personally don't think the manga had the same effect. However, if you don't mind that, then the message that it is trying to send is portrayed just as well in both.

I've just skimmed through the first chapter... The Ecchi stuff really ruins it for me. I guess Ecchi will stay a major aspect of the manga as it is in the first chapter!?
Feb 24, 2018 5:48 AM

Sep 2017
Mondblut said:
Thanks everyone...

Though i should have specified my initial post maybe. Many of the mentioned manga are heavily relating on fantasy or supernatural elements. When i talk about drama/tragedy, i specifically search for stuff that is 100% grounded in reality and dealing with interpersonal relationships and character deveopement as the only story element.

Manga i liked that fall into that cathegory:

Oyasumi Punpun
Molester Man
Koe no Katachi
Aku no Hana
Onani Master Kurosawa
Solanin
Umibe no Onnanoko
Welcome to the NHK

stuff like that is what i'm searching for...

Toha said:

Annarasumanara
Mahoraba
Saishuu Heiki Kanojo
Diamond Dust
Shi ni Itaru Yamai

Oh... There are some suggestions that look very promising. Thanks a lot.

Ever Green is a good fit then, although the drama part was completely unecessary and everyone expected a sweet story.
Feb 24, 2018 5:49 AM

Sep 2017
Mondblut said:
changelog_ said:

I've just skimmed through the first chapter... The Ecchi stuff really ruins it for me. I guess Ecchi will stay a major aspect of the manga as it is in the first chapter!?

The ecchi isn't rly a thing here, just to add a bit of color to the romance tbh.
Feb 24, 2018 5:52 AM

Nov 2015
MX_Theo said:
Mondblut said:

The ecchi isn't rly a thing here, just to add a bit of color to the romance tbh.

But if i had problems with it in the first chapter already, would it be better for me to watch the anime then? I really don't like romance if it is "sexualized". Also: Does the manga also contain yaoi as the anime does?

Edit: Just looked into some further chapters and i'm surprised how much this even enters the hentai territory, no, some of the stuff is hentai. I'm no stranger to hentai as a genre, but it is really really distracting, almost insulting to say the least if i want to get to like and to know the characters besides them being fap material.

Just out off interest: How much of this is still in the anime adaptation? Did the anime drop this nonsense completely?
MondblutFeb 24, 2018 6:40 AM
Feb 24, 2018 11:21 AM
Jul 2018
Mondblut said:
changelog_ said:

There’s some echi, but it’s a very dark psychological manga like you asked. It will soon go away after the dark plot twist.
Feb 24, 2018 1:06 PM

Nov 2015
changelog_ said:
Mondblut said:

There’s some echi, but it’s a very dark psychological manga like you asked. It will soon go away after the dark plot twist.

Sry, i didn't want to sound ungrateful for the recommendation. Though after looking deeper into it i decided not to read the manga nor watching the anime. How the source material handles the theme of sexuality is just... not my cup of tea. But still thank you for the recommendation.

Same goes to everyone else who gave recommendations.
Feb 24, 2018 2:20 PM

Sep 2017
Mondblut said:
MX_Theo said:

But if i had problems with it in the first chapter already, would it be better for me to watch the anime then? I really don't like romance if it is "sexualized". Also: Does the manga also contain yaoi as the anime does?

Edit: Just looked into some further chapters and i'm surprised how much this even enters the hentai territory, no, some of the stuff is hentai. I'm no stranger to hentai as a genre, but it is really really distracting, almost insulting to say the least if i want to get to like and to know the characters besides them being fap material.

Just out off interest: How much of this is still in the anime adaptation? Did the anime drop this nonsense completely?

I didn't watch the anime, binged read the manga but I don't remember the hentai scenes hum I know there's one at the end and a bit at the start but I mean it's like 2 pages, at first I thought it would be much more focused on the romance but then it completely shifts apart until a little conclusion in the end.
Just wait for the plot twist. I expected a sweet romance at first (didn't check the tags)
MX_TheoFeb 24, 2018 2:24 PM

More topics from this board

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
32 minutes ago

» Anime male character not abused by female characters

EleganteX - Aug 15, 2015

22 by thorin001 »»
2 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

6 by thorin001 »»
2 hours ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

19 by WillGuabs »»
3 hours ago

» Anime where guy hits girl back

Borito_Uzumaki - May 6, 2017

47 by BroDa2545 »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.