Forum Settings
Forums

why are so many peoples average scores so low.

New
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]
Feb 11, 2018 8:32 AM
Sep 2015
Valeofruin said:
AndyisLegend said:
tbh if you look close enough the average is like a 7 on myanimelist

True! This phenomenon can happen even if everyone uses the same standard for assigning ratings! Lets say I release 10 anime.. Everyone organizes anime in order of their favorite to least favorite.

Naturally they are instructed to give a score of 1 to their least favorite, and a score of 10 to their most favorite. What is the mean (average) of their scores?

The answer is 5.5.

Now riddle me this... Did you know my anime list uses a shows POPULARITY as well as the actual scores to calculate a "Weighted" MAL score?

https://myanimelist.net/info.php?go=topanime

The way it works is simple, popularity is compared to the "Average' popularity across the db. This means that every year, as anime becomes more mainstream you wind up with some, formerly highly rated shows keep falling while hype shows get propped up.

So lets say in the scenario I give, the next season we could go the same thing with 20 shows.. However due to word of mouth and tech advancement the next 20 are now twice as popular as before and hence have higher average scires!!

The median score. Can stay stagnant at 5, but the average can easily be 6+

Ultimately when it comes to ratings; those 7/10 shows are sort of like the yardstick to use to measure your 5s

hahahha thats alot to read but you're absolutely right!
Feb 11, 2018 10:59 AM

Jul 2015
i dont feel like mine is low tbh but i ve just watched too much shitty animes like NGE or Higurashi no naku koro ni

Well...
Feb 11, 2018 11:33 AM

Aug 2017
Because people whose mean scores are low, are too critical with animes.
Feb 11, 2018 12:01 PM

Jul 2015
I also had a really high mean score at first, but once you start watching more and more anime you will start to see that you like some series a lot more than others, and you will lower the ratings of the ones you liked less, and you will repeat that more and more until you're comfortable with your rating system, and by then your mean score will be waaay lower.

Well, that or you will have 300 completed entries and you liked all of them to be at least 8/10s, that happens but it's way rarer.
Feb 11, 2018 12:03 PM

May 2014
My average is 4.76 right now, but I think I'm being fair with my scores.
Feb 11, 2018 12:08 PM

May 2010
Pullman said:
time to whip out my triggered copypaste about this topic again, I guess:

Pullman said:
Classic "My ratings 100% represent enjoyment so I'll automatically assume that goes for every single person on this planet."
We get one of these threads about every month. But the stream of ignorant people who can't fathom any perspective aside from their own, very narrow one, is never ending it seems.

Why do people think it's a more realistic conclusion to think that someone watches anime while literally hating everything he watches than to simply consider that for them the ratings mean something different than for you? 60% of this site don't use the scores with their intended meanings and opt for only the upper half of the 1-scale. Some people just do it the other way round. It doesn't really matter at all.

Scores only are relevant in relation to each other in the first place. Nobody can tell what you really think about a show just based on a number, and everyone who thinks they can is a retard. In that sense someone with a low mean score who at least uses the whole scale makes better use of the rating system than the 6-10 only users by using it to maximum effect when it comes to differentiating between the various shows he watched and how much he liked them. He might just be splitting up his favorites from 7-10 where others only fill their 10s with it, and then work himself downwards with 6 being good, 5 being decent, 4 being okay 3 being meh and 1 and 2 being shit. Suddenly a 4 mean score means about the same as a 8.5 mean score for a 6-10 only rater.

So yeah I'm continuously impressed by how presumptuous people can get about this topic. They want to point their fingers to people and shout 'dumb elitist, you don't like anything!' or something along those lines instead of rationally thinking about how the ratings might be intended for even one minute. It's really not that hard to come to the conclusion I came to. And there are countless other ways to use the rating scale in your own way. Some result in a high mean score, others in a low mean score. But that doesn't mean it shows who likes and who hates anime. The ONLY difference is how they apply the rating scale, not how they feel while watching a show.

Do you people really believe that the number you give a show changes ANYTHING about how much you enjoyed yourself? Do you really need that to trick yourself into believing you enjoy everything so much more than other people who enjoy a more diverse set of ratings with a lower mean? The number means shit, someone who gives a show a 1/10 might have enjoyed it more than someone who gave it 10/10 if the latter person just hands out 10s for everything and the former person actually had a lot of fun watching something terribad.

I really think this logic of 'I enjoy anime more than you because I rate higher' is utterly questionable to me. If YOU need to rate everything highly just to convince yourself you had some fun, that's your cross to bear. Many other people are aware that the number they attach to a series will not make any enjoyment they felt while watching disappear (or magically appear) and use the full scale to differentiate without worrying about people thinking they 'hate' anime just because they're capable of more detailed distinctions.

always a pleasure <3

also there are shorts and music videos and stuff and what matters more is how much time people spend on their higher rated stuff compared to lower rated stuff. For example 0.6% of my anime have a 10/10 rating, but I've spent 7,06% of my overall time spent on anime on my 10/10 ratings. And almost 13% of my entries are rated 4/10, but I've only spent 4,6% of my overall time on them. Less than 5% my time spent on anime that are bad (I don't consider 5 a bad rating, it's just okay) isn't that weird, is it? That's even a pretty low ratio for how much I've seen if you ask me.

Elitists gonna elitist with their elitist dribble.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Feb 11, 2018 12:31 PM
May 2017
Some people just like being overly critical of everything they watch. Their pickiness probably makes them feel smarter and like they have better taste than others who are more open-minded, like they have a need to validate their own intelligence to themselves.

Annoys me too, as you can tell.
Feb 11, 2018 2:31 PM
Jul 2018
Because I've watched so many crap that crappy people recommend me and my list is full of garbage and i'm not a obsessed weirdo that likes every anime stuff, there are not masterpieces that makes me say "this needs a 1000" or whatever, my score is based on my enjoyment and i think is fair enough
removed-userFeb 11, 2018 2:35 PM
Feb 11, 2018 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
You haven't even seen 50 anime yet tho?

And people just rate differently. I rate 6-10 something I like, but other people rate 8-10 something they like, and 7-1 is bad.
Feb 11, 2018 3:52 PM

Dec 2017
They prob watched lots and lots of anime. You havent seen much anime so i understand why your score is a 9.

People with low averages have watched lots and lots of shows. Not all of the shows are going to be good

i like avocados on toast 
Feb 11, 2018 4:09 PM

Dec 2015
first of all scores are very subjective , they're not math or anything and of course if you watch good shows only or drop any anime you dont like then you will have a high score or if you're a hardcore fan and you watch i don't know 400 tv shows or so then you will find that not all of them deserve a 9 or a 8 or even 7 .
Feb 11, 2018 5:04 PM

Aug 2016
i don't know why but i can't score animes under 6.

I have a serious problem, but i will live with that
Feb 11, 2018 8:53 PM

Feb 2013
Mean score: 3.96

Why?
Because most anime are bad. Some are watchable. Few are good.
Feb 11, 2018 8:55 PM

Aug 2012
The same goes for regular movies. People invest time to watch something, reflect and ultimately give a rating. Not every anime out there is a masterpiece, but that doesn't mean they are not watchable.
I've also noticed that many people on this site lack critical thinking to give a relatively low score. I am guilty of this myself, but pointing at others for doing it is stupid.
Feb 11, 2018 10:29 PM
Sadist

Jun 2016
So in my first response to this I explained how:

If you arranged 10 anime and assigned a score of 1-10 to them; in orser of preference the average would be 5.5. I also briefly explained how popularity factors into mal scoring.

Id like to bring up another point here, that didn't occur to me before;

The more popular a show is, the more people watch it and hence the higher rated it is.

Finally there is the rule that only shows with a set number of scores may be ranked. However they are still considered for the purpose of popularity ranking. We must consider this as well.

Some maths rambling in spoilers.. Tl;dr/hypothesis below.

My point;

I would bet, as ive mentioned before even if you don't have hype votes and fake accounts and such.. The mean mal anime score is elevated.

This thread makes the assumption that if MALS' 'average' point score is 5, then the 'average' MAL score globally should also be 5. I contend that this would be mathematically improbable; even if everyone rated shows "perfectly".

To be more precise in estimating; Mean MAL score would have to be ***AT A MINIMUM*** 5.7/10 given the way these anime scores are calculated and the rules MAL has set up. That said it is extremely difficult to truly determine if the whole "7/10 is the new 5/10 because community ratings" assertion is truly correct.

A big part of this data could just be a natural function inherent in the system MAL has established.

What does this mean? 6/10 is a 'true' 5 basically... Find something 6/10, compare them.. If the shows are roughly equal in quality rate 5/10 imo.
ValeofruinFeb 11, 2018 10:35 PM
Feb 12, 2018 3:02 AM

Jan 2018
As you watch more animes, your taste develops, you seek for high quality, and become more demanding, look for details throughout the show and give a score based on all of that and not just entertainment. And why watch them? Even bad animes can have their fascinating side, so much you want to see their ending. It's not like we don't enjoy animes. It's like food, everyone likes food, but you'll eventually realize what is a 10 and what is a 5. You can't put everything in thethe same category.
Feb 12, 2018 6:38 AM

Apr 2017
the amount of confirmation bias from op here is frankly hilarious
Feb 12, 2018 6:41 AM

Jun 2015
Because the shows with a low score are dropped with very few episodes being watched. Most of my time watching anime is spent watching the shows I like.
Feb 12, 2018 10:39 AM

Sep 2015
It's almost as if over time, people see more anime and gain a better scope of comparison and have a better understanding of their own taste. It doesn't make you an 'elitist' or mean you're overly-critical when you think "I enjoyed X, but I enjoyed Y more; therefore I'll give Y a higher rating." It's a pretty basic line of thinking. It certainly doesn't mean someone is trying to come across as being intelligent just because they have a lower mean score. It just means they have a functioning brain. Unless you have some severe cognitive issues, then I fail to see why thinking "I enjoyed this but not as much as other shows so I'll rate it a little lower" is such an amazing unheard of phenomenon.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Feb 16, 2018 8:59 PM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
It's like grades.
You watch 1 or 2 unlikable shows, your average sinks to rock bottom.

I've had friends recommend me all sorts of shows they appreciated which I ended up not liking at all.
Sure I could decide not to rate them to do another person (or a group of people) a favor, but when asking recommendations elsewhere, it could give a warped view of what I may or may not like.
Feb 16, 2018 10:06 PM

Jun 2013
Firstly, as noted previous, you have an awful lot of 10s in you list, not that I'm suppose to tell you how to rank stuff. But I guess I'll tell you how I do it, just for fun.

My rankings populate the upper I'm actually at an 8 mean score, so not that far off yourself. In short, I use the the rankings as "intended" 10 is masterpieces, 5 is meh, 1 is appalling. However, I think that anime in general SHOULD populate the top half of the ranks. Because I view anime as entertainment, and not just a way to kill time. So, an anime being a 5 is a meh experience, which basically I just wasted time watching it. And I think studios at least try to make shows which are worth spending your time to watch. And contextually, this mirrors the rankings, with the top 100 anime being between 9.5 and 8.5, eg. very great and very*very good. When we get down to 2000, which in my opinion is the soft border for any worthwhile anime, being marketed as a little better than "good."
Feb 16, 2018 10:13 PM

Dec 2009
Low scores tend to be honest scores (but not always - some people drink the hate-o-rade). I'd rather have honest scores than high average scores from people afraid to dish out anything less than a 7
There is absolutely no reason why I should accept "turn your brain off" as a valid excuse to defend a poor show.

~

blatant ad: https://myanimelist.net/blog/Crusader_8 I spend the time to write it, so please read it lol
Feb 17, 2018 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
BurntJelly said:
Mean score: 3.96

Why?
Because most anime are bad. Some are watchable. Few are good.

Mean Score: 3.86
Myself couldnt have said better.
This medium really has lot of trash quality products
Feb 17, 2018 11:26 AM

Jan 2018
People like watching bad films and shows because people are inherently negative.
Feb 23, 2018 11:52 PM

Jan 2018
If your mean score for anime is like below 4 and you've seen a large amount of shows then there's something wrong; either you eel the need to look cool or watch awful shows for the hell of it or just plainly hate anime, I dunno but there's a problem there.

Edit: Maybe they just don't care about rating.
Feb 24, 2018 1:35 AM
Jul 2018
I watched too much trash a few years ago.
Nov 23, 2018 12:57 PM

May 2016
I rate my mine 7 to 10 for ones i like and 6 below for those i hate
Nov 23, 2018 12:57 PM

May 2016
Lower ratings correlate with higher IQ here.
Pages (4) « First ... « 2 3 [4]

More topics from this board

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

9 by DancingTheBa »»
8 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

42 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
9 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 5 hours ago

20 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Apr 23

80 by -coasts »»
14 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 11 hours ago

29 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.