Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 7, 2018 2:37 AM

Dec 2009
I'm a fan of this author from NG Life which is actually my top 1 favorite best manga that I truly believe is a masterpiece with the concept of the main character, his persona, the plots and how the story is so deep in him with the psychological inner monologues, etc. which I'm a huge fan of.

... But. Now as I'm Volume 5 Chapter 25. I'm not exactly enjoying the story.
Sure, the slow pace of the story is boring with the long simple and plain journey for now but... I don't like Yona anymore.
She seemed as a cute in love young teenage girl who was easily offended by Hak ... to then seeing her father die by her unrequited love ... to then wanting to defend herself to not feel powerless and protect Hak as well.

... To then, seemingly, easily not showing fear over anything, facing things strongly with will and commitment for survival and maturity. ... From being a sheltered spoiled princess.

... It's not about how her character developed, which, actually I realize that the writing in the characters ... well mostly Yona is horrible.
But. I don't like how... after almost dying from falling off a cliff, to then meet a priest who suggests she goes to ask for the strength of the four legendary dragons, which is actually destiny as they're connected through bloodline. She just suddenly shows this random trait of maturity in divine lust of kindness. Not literal lust but. You know.
... Which. I don't know. She's fucking 16. It doesn't fit her. It doesn't make sense. It's exaggerated. Horrible writing.

Out if nowhere, just in a few days, or several hours she's uncharacteristically angel-like... I hate it.
And when you think about it... Having read and watched many, I'm kinda used to it. Not a big fan of it but. Fucking pedophiles. Come on. Hak, 18 years old making sexual jokes to a 16 year old. Kija 20 years old easily attracted to her in a delightful way... Fuck off.
I can bear it but so far Yona and the story is kinda dull so... is it even worth it?

So far. I can't believe this got an anime with writing and a main character like this in 25 chapters but nothing fucking NG Life which to me is a true 10/10 masterpiece. It's beautiful.

... But this is still publishing and got an anime?
I'm a huge NG Life fan. Loved a one shot she did. Didn't really read her other few manga but.

I think, if I remember right this manga is one of her earliest. Biggest one, longest one, main one currently for sure.
But. I think as it shows so far. These were her amateur beginnings. Basically when she wasn't as good like for NG Life.
But since it's still running and passed NG Life. I'm wondering if ... along the journey, through her experience... the writing gets better and amazing. Like NG Life.
But even then. How far could she have caught up to fix the story when she can't redo the first bad story as far as I've got.
The concept is good. The intro is great. But man. The characters suck. Especially her. Wtf...
Feb 7, 2018 9:01 AM

Apr 2008
If you dislike this series, because Yona is doing too well and is displaying an emotional maturity that can be hardly expected from a 16 year old girl, which I admit is a valid point, then it does not get better.

You should rather look for something else to read.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Feb 9, 2018 12:58 AM

Dec 2009
Lain666 said:
If you dislike this series, because Yona is doing too well and is displaying an emotional maturity that can be hardly expected from a 16 year old girl, which I admit is a valid point, then it does not get better.

Nicely put, thanks. ... Damn.
Big fan of the author though so. I wanna give it a chance and push through it. Maybe get used to it and enjoy the better matured writing if it does improve for this story. ... Does it?

Because so far the writing is pretty damn bad. Unlike NG Life and Boku no Kotori-san.
Feb 9, 2018 8:22 AM

Apr 2008
waalex11 said:
Lain666 said:

Big fan of the author though so. I wanna give it a chance and push through it. Maybe get used to it and enjoy the better matured writing if it does improve for this story. ... Does it?

Because so far the writing is pretty damn bad. Unlike NG Life and Boku no Kotori-san.

The best thing about this manga is the broken relationship between main characters. If you like it, then you will not be disappointed. However, I cannot promise that it will get a satisfying conclusion as I am not the author.

Characterization is ok, though it depends on who you like. Su-won’s is stable, though still little is known about his reasons. Hak gets better characterization later on. Yona, on the other hand, becomes rather Mary Sueish.

As far as the plot is concerned the political intrigues are actually better and more sensible in the first arcs.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Feb 10, 2018 2:38 PM

Dec 2009
Lain666 said:
waalex11 said:

The best thing about this manga is the broken relationship between main characters. If you like it, then you will not be disappointed. However, I cannot promise that it will get a satisfying conclusion as I am not the author.

Characterization is ok, though it depends on who you like. Su-won’s is stable, though still little is known about his reasons. Hak gets better characterization later on. Yona, on the other hand, becomes rather Mary Sueish.

As far as the plot is concerned the political intrigues are actually better and more sensible in the first arcs.
Hm... Alright. Thanks. I'll see how I'll enjoy it or not.
Aug 8, 2018 10:51 PM
Dec 2017
waalex11 said:
I'm a fan of this author from NG Life which is actually my top 1 favorite best manga that I truly believe is a masterpiece with the concept of the main character, his persona, the plots and how the story is so deep in him with the psychological inner monologues, etc. which I'm a huge fan of.

... But. Now as I'm Volume 5 Chapter 25. I'm not exactly enjoying the story.
Sure, the slow pace of the story is boring with the long simple and plain journey for now but... I don't like Yona anymore.
She seemed as a cute in love young teenage girl who was easily offended by Hak ... to then seeing her father die by her unrequited love ... to then wanting to defend herself to not feel powerless and protect Hak as well.

... To then, seemingly, easily not showing fear over anything, facing things strongly with will and commitment for survival and maturity. ... From being a sheltered spoiled princess.

... It's not about how her character developed, which, actually I realize that the writing in the characters ... well mostly Yona is horrible.
But. I don't like how... after almost dying from falling off a cliff, to then meet a priest who suggests she goes to ask for the strength of the four legendary dragons, which is actually destiny as they're connected through bloodline. She just suddenly shows this random trait of maturity in divine lust of kindness. Not literal lust but. You know.
... Which. I don't know. She's fucking 16. It doesn't fit her. It doesn't make sense. It's exaggerated. Horrible writing.

Out if nowhere, just in a few days, or several hours she's uncharacteristically angel-like... I hate it.
And when you think about it... Having read and watched many, I'm kinda used to it. Not a big fan of it but. Fucking pedophiles. Come on. Hak, 18 years old making sexual jokes to a 16 year old. Kija 20 years old easily attracted to her in a delightful way... Fuck off.
I can bear it but so far Yona and the story is kinda dull so... is it even worth it?

So far. I can't believe this got an anime with writing and a main character like this in 25 chapters but nothing fucking NG Life which to me is a true 10/10 masterpiece. It's beautiful.

... But this is still publishing and got an anime?
I'm a huge NG Life fan. Loved a one shot she did. Didn't really read her other few manga but.

I think, if I remember right this manga is one of her earliest. Biggest one, longest one, main one currently for sure.
But. I think as it shows so far. These were her amateur beginnings. Basically when she wasn't as good like for NG Life.
But since it's still running and passed NG Life. I'm wondering if ... along the journey, through her experience... the writing gets better and amazing. Like NG Life.
But even then. How far could she have caught up to fix the story when she can't redo the first bad story as far as I've got.
The concept is good. The intro is great. But man. The characters suck. Especially her. Wtf...
yona is 19 now... latest chapters indicate that since Hak left their village and assigned their new leader 3 years ago, assume 3 years have passed. I also feel like seeing your friends dying and seeing the commoners suffer knowing that it was your father that did that would induce at least a bit of maturity
Aug 9, 2018 10:01 PM

Dec 2009
ZenL said:
yona is 19 now... latest chapters indicate that since Hak left their village and assigned their new leader 3 years ago, assume 3 years have passed. I also feel like seeing your friends dying and seeing the commoners suffer knowing that it was your father that did that would induce at least a bit of maturity

So you're saying the bad traits in the story become bearable or accepting because she's 19 now? ...Hm. Maybe.

The story might still be bad though.
Aug 10, 2018 10:49 PM
Dec 2017
waalex11 said:
ZenL said:

So you're saying the bad traits in the story become bearable or accepting because she's 19 now? ...Hm. Maybe.

I liked it, but other people may not. I guess it’s just your taste in manga. I personally thought that adventure and romance aspects were pretty cool, but I understand not everyone likes it.
Aug 13, 2018 3:46 AM

Apr 2008
waalex11 said:
ZenL said:

Some fans misread one part of the manga, so Yona is still 16.

As for whether it became better. Hard to say, the new arc has barely started, though at the very least it looks like Kei-Shuk has the potential to be a much better antagonist than Gobi from the last arc, who is the lamest villain in this manga and for a villain proved to be an unusual help for Yona rather than a hindrance.

As for Yona, in the manga she still treated as someone beyond constructive criticism even if her actions are thoughtless and could have catastrophic consequences.

The new arc may change it, since what happens is a consequence of what happened in the last arc, but how well it will be executed is hard to tell at this point. Yona may as well get out very easily and lightly out of the troubles, as Yona facing serious consequences of her reckless actions or feeling the bitter taste of failure would be novel for this manga.
Aug 28, 2018 12:26 AM

Dec 2009
I see.... Hm. Not sure if I'll continue reading it from the sound of it. Maybe. I'll see. Thanks.
Jan 9, 5:05 PM

Dec 2009
As a fan of NG Life, I want to eventually binge read it to completion at some point after it ends,
but I'm still wondering if she remains unrealistic in her attitude or if its later fixed by her cracking eventually,
because the only memory I still have of this manga is how frustrating it was to watch her act like that.
Mar 25, 7:17 AM

Feb 2016
waalex11 said:

She didn't begin writing Yona until after she finished NG Life.
その目だれの目?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 257 Discussion

crocodileman94 - Apr 19

5 by Jogii »»
Apr 22, 5:21 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 185 Discussion

shanimebib - Dec 20, 2019

26 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 10:11 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 256 Discussion

DarkHumor04 - Apr 4

7 by TanmaySpamzzz »»
Apr 12, 5:12 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 175 Discussion

CrookedPanther - May 20, 2019

32 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 12, 3:41 AM

Poll: » Akatsuki no Yona Chapter 152 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lacznosc - Dec 21, 2017

68 by Syed_94 »»
Apr 10, 3:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.