Forum Settings
Forums

Isekai is NOT a bad concept, some anime just don't know the proper use of the concepts.

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 7, 2017 6:18 PM

Jul 2012
Feniksrises said:
Tebls said:
I agree that Isekai has varying degrees of success.

Anime like SAO and Re:Zero improve primitive concepts in Dante's Inferno and Alice in Wonderland.

While anime like 12 Kingdoms fails to establish a cool setting or relatable cast.

People just like to hate great isekai anime like Log Horizon because they are popular.

Disagree with you on 12 kingdoms. Good show but nobody wants a flawed MC that isn't all powerful nowadays. An MC that makes mistakes. Nobody wants anything that isn't happy and lighthearted.

Twelve Kingdoms handles serious matters. People even die! Oh and a girl that isn't sexualised all the time. No panty shots even!

Good god anime used to be good ;)

That's just ur opinion bro. To be honest, 12 Kingdoms is bad because there isn't a beta otaku MC that has no notable strengths. This is completely necessary that way I can self-insert myself. Then the MC needs to be transported and become OP with minimal effort. That way I can feel good about myself and still feel like I accomplished something. If those conditions are not met, how can an anime claim to have good characterization?
Dec 7, 2017 6:26 PM

Apr 2017
Sticking out the truth

>With "HUMAN NATURE" Logic of course

Which is why

There is no such thing as a bad premise. There is only bad execution.

"Think about that glowing dust
That destroys the night sky's dream of
Just being nothing"
----
Dec 7, 2017 11:16 PM

Nov 2014
Isekai is generally just a crutch and an excuse for bad world building, fantasy is really difficult to sell and requires a ridiculous amount of planning and construction whereas a traditional Isekai you can drop a self insert into a generic fantasy world with no real interesting features. Something like Made in Abyss or Suka Suka on the other hand requires years of world building before even setting pen to paper.
Isekai is formulaic and lazy but with that said if the characters or the comedy are good enough then I can be sold on it like I was with Konosuba but if it ever tries to have any real depth it will collapse on it's flimsy foundations.
Forum Signature
Dec 8, 2017 1:18 AM

May 2015
But the Isekai part is not what makes them good, Alice is a Mathematical Satire, The Divine Comedy is full of social commentary and contemporary politics and basically set the grounds for a common Italian language.

Anime and in particular Isekai, given the wish-fulfillment nature of the genre, more often than not just stop at the superficial and entertaining aspects of storytelling.
zalDec 8, 2017 1:23 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 8, 2017 1:26 AM

Nov 2014
I've always said an anime being an isekai is almost a non-factor to how good it would be. It's merely an introduction to the series. Most the time the isekai factor doesn't even play a part afterwards.

From then on, the quality of an isekai would be dependent on mostly the exact same factors that makes any other fantasy good. It's pretty much a fantasy by that point.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Dec 8, 2017 1:30 AM
Sep 2017
I would argue that isekai as defined by the bulk of light novels are too limited. It's almost always European, it's almost always feudal, and it's almost always based off DnD adventuring systems, right down to the fantasy racial triangle of human/orc/elf.

Would it kill the light novel writers to write other isekai settings?

Like, oh I dunno, the Enlightenment period or the Golden Ae of Islam or imperial China. Something other than "not-Middle-Ages-Europe" number #195310414.
Dec 8, 2017 1:34 AM

Apr 2013
Concept is okay, but it's overused by author with lack of ability to write to make some quick money.
Dec 8, 2017 1:37 AM

Oct 2013
Any type of setting/genre is good as long as it's used properly.
Dec 8, 2017 2:25 AM

Aug 2014
I think op forgot it's not anime to blame but the author.
Making it different but better compared to the source material called straying further for the sake of the greater good.

I doubt there's a recent original isekai came out or probably under my radar if it's "anime proper way to use the concept".

Chimerared said:
Isekai is generally just a crutch and an excuse for bad world building, fantasy is really difficult to sell and requires a ridiculous amount of planning and construction whereas a traditional Isekai you can drop a self insert into a generic fantasy world with no real interesting features. Something like Made in Abyss or Suka Suka on the other hand requires years of world building before even setting pen to paper.
Isekai is formulaic and lazy but with that said if the characters or the comedy are good enough then I can be sold on it like I was with Konosuba but if it ever tries to have any real depth it will collapse on it's flimsy foundations.

I think this person gets it.
It wasn't a bad concept but mostly written by unexperienced author.
You're right it should be categorised as fantasy, isekai seems sounds like a bad example of fantasy theme tittle now.
Both anime you mentioned are indeed my favorites, interesting on its on way, character depth, those tear jerking drama, made in abyss make me even scared to.watch madoka that sitting duck in my plan to watch list.

Konosuba mainly focus on funny comedy and parody, it's not just isekai fantasy focused which make it's somehow special.

While most of isekai atm always come out with.
- Stupid RPG systems (thanks SAO) but again it's fine just there's nothing special about their story
- Characters are mostly self insert Gary stu
- The tittle even include weird shit like a farmer in isekai,a teacher in isekai, a tennis player on isekai or even weirder shit oh god..
- and what make it even worse it's a fucking reincarnated into a isekai or transported with Truck-san fucking cliche or something similar to god mistakes. Then it's obvious this isekai is going to be shit.
- now if i am going to be harsh it was like yourself 12 years old imagining a perfect world where everything goes according to your "keikaku" get bitch and win. There's no drama. Probably just bla bla sacrifice shit , put edgy movement and quotes , then the sacrifice basically had zero effect to the future story.

Does western​ "isekai" looks like this shit? No they arent and it isn't common because fantasy world building is complex, you're building a world where everything is possible and it'll connect each other.
Not just asspulling weird cliche or RPG shit out of nowhere.
Dec 8, 2017 2:37 AM

Aug 2014
Because it´s the same thing over and over. Harem, OP guy or a wuss. Adventure and everything is fun yada yada.

The only work i liked is "Hai to Gensou no Grimgar" Slow paced, learning about the world and something fresh.
"Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari" Hateful MC and darker tone. But a strong female lead (not 10 harem girls) Ok the loli chicken also.

(ok i liked zero no tsukaima to but was my first anime I watched so proabably more nostalgia)
SweanimeDec 8, 2017 2:41 AM
Dec 8, 2017 2:53 AM

Jun 2010
code said:
It's not the concept that's bad, it's the execution.

And the execution is always so meh.

It doesn't help that fish-out-of-water stories are what's popular everywhere right now.
Just look at almost every MCU movie.

This, there were really good isekai animes in the past, like Digimon Adventure for example.
May 11, 2018 2:50 AM
May 2017
AdrianRubinsky said:
The problem is not Isekai itself. It's because the writers are too young or unexperienced. Usually, they use their own limited life experience to write a novel (school setting).

I have exactly ONE Isekai manga in my list. I can't find anything else that isn't a copy/paste of the basic writing pattern.

Basic writing pattern
1- Reborn/Summoned
2- Becomes OP from the beginning
3- Start a High School life in a medieval world (Dude, WTF)
4- Nothing really happens other than having your harem getting bigger

thankfully, that doesn't happen in Re:Zero, considering that the author hates the fact that anime has been taken over by bland male OP self-inserts, which is why he wrote Re:Zero as a deconstruction of the shut-in otaku NEET archetype

logopolis said:
Nothing wrong with Now and Then, Here and There. Or even the likes of Fushigi Yuugi. There's just a recent trend of male wish fulfilment shows using isekai. But if you don't like them, you should criticise male wish fulfilment shows.

Re:Zero criticizes the wish-fulfillment that has taken over anime lately. btw, did you read the actual end of Arc 3? which the anime cut off right before happened
May 11, 2018 3:18 AM

Jun 2013
I hate how people criticize Sao Novels with actual standars, it was one of the first Isekai so it's not a lazy copy, it invented a lot of things and there where no mmorpg in 2002 so you cannot complain if you thing SAO and GGO are shitty games also the anime just left out the best parts of the novel
Xaelath said:
I think op forgot it's not anime to blame but the author.
Making it different but better compared to the source material called straying further for the sake of the greater good.

I doubt there's a recent original isekai came out or probably under my radar if it's "anime proper way to use the concept".

Chimerared said:

I think this person gets it.
It wasn't a bad concept but mostly written by unexperienced author.
You're right it should be categorised as fantasy, isekai seems sounds like a bad example of fantasy theme tittle now.
Both anime you mentioned are indeed my favorites, interesting on its on way, character depth, those tear jerking drama, made in abyss make me even scared to.watch madoka that sitting duck in my plan to watch list.

Konosuba mainly focus on funny comedy and parody, it's not just isekai fantasy focused which make it's somehow special.

While most of isekai atm always come out with.
- Stupid RPG systems (thanks SAO) but again it's fine just there's nothing special about their story
- Characters are mostly self insert Gary stu
- The tittle even include weird shit like a farmer in isekai,a teacher in isekai, a tennis player on isekai or even weirder shit oh god..
- and what make it even worse it's a fucking reincarnated into a isekai or transported with Truck-san fucking cliche or something similar to god mistakes. Then it's obvious this isekai is going to be shit.
- now if i am going to be harsh it was like yourself 12 years old imagining a perfect world where everything goes according to your "keikaku" get bitch and win. There's no drama. Probably just bla bla sacrifice shit , put edgy movement and quotes , then the sacrifice basically had zero effect to the future story.

Does western​ "isekai" looks like this shit? No they arent and it isn't common because fantasy world building is complex, you're building a world where everything is possible and it'll connect each other.
Not just asspulling weird cliche or RPG shit out of nowhere.
Well Konosuba started as a parody but recent volumes have started to become serious, I bet people will shit on it if a third season comes out mostly because it falls short when it doesn't focus on comedy
May 11, 2018 3:33 AM

Nov 2011
Isekai theoretically has about as much potential as any other straight fantasy. The anime medium just doesn't seem to utilize the concept well that often.

There are several I want to try though.
May 11, 2018 5:36 AM

Apr 2018
Isekai is an interesting idea. But in manga or anime, they mostly end up being such a disappointment.
May 11, 2018 6:52 AM

Mar 2018
Dantes inferno isnt the fantasy of a 12 year old day dreaming about his crappy MMO
May 11, 2018 7:31 AM

Jul 2015
They're not, but people will always complain about the tropes they use, rather that the execution and effect those tropes have on the story.
May 11, 2018 8:05 AM

Sep 2017
Narnia is Isekai.
Digimon as well.

The concept has trmendous potential to be good.

It's just that anime usually devolves into harem, ecchi pandering or when they avoid that, they turn into mmo's only in the "real" world which is dumb.

I did come across an Isekai about Final Fantasy recently, however, and it seems interesting.

EDIT: OH yea, Shield Hero, too is interesting. If anyone wants a semi-decent Isekai try it.
james501May 11, 2018 8:52 AM
May 11, 2018 2:34 PM

Jan 2018
Elaborate isekai like log horizon is rare. Safe formula harem+isekai working just fine so it's a waiting game to watch a decent isekai unless you are into harem+ecchi.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Yesterday

7 by IKKIsama »»
32 seconds ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

137 by KittenCuddler »»
2 minutes ago

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

3 by FanofAction »»
14 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

4 by Rinrinka »»
17 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

47 by LostSpectre »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.