Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2017 12:27 PM
Jul 2018
I am going to sum this into two types. Broad, I know.

There are essentially two types of anime Brains out there in regards to "Memory."

The type that watch an anime, and know and retain what they are watching in the moment that they are watching it, with maybe 'some' aftermath knowledge on the given serie(s) long after the show has been Completed--but highly dependent on the show itself.

Or the type of anime watcher that Completes an anime, and literally can go over every moment of practically every episode of the entire series, and holds a great deal (on a long-term bases) of the knowledge of that anime in his/her memory over an undetermined period of time.

Which type of anime Brain are you?

Do you find yourself always feeling like there's more than one ??? in your head after completing a series or are those ??? completely answered by your overall understanding of the show, for months, even years after the show has been completed.

Edit: Sorry this was meant for the Casual Discussion. -_-
removed-userNov 10, 2017 12:37 PM
Nov 10, 2017 12:58 PM
Jul 2018
doesn't really make sense. its only natural to forget about something, this is just the brain doing it's own work.
now i can understand for someone who has watched 50-60 anime to remember them well but take an example of somene with +10000 episodes or +1000 entries. not to mention it depends what impact can one anime make, especially if it's an episodic comedy anime.

btw this can go in anime discussion not casual. someone like @Nexu can fix it
removed-userNov 10, 2017 1:40 PM
Nov 10, 2017 1:46 PM

Jun 2016
Moved from the Creative Corner Board.

O/T:
I get to the point where I only remember the best moments, or the ending. Otherwise I can't really remember specific moments unless I jog my memory with a video or even a picture.
Nov 10, 2017 1:53 PM
Jul 2018
@Nexu I seem to be the same, in that after awhile I seem to be more focused on certain moments/scenes or things that are said during the course of the anime I'm watching. Rather than having like 95% knowledge on everything the anime offered. Certain parts in the anime just stand out to me more than others.

Example. In A Certain Magical Index. There's quite a few moments I remember, but there is that one moment that just jumps to the center of my mind the moment I think about the anime, before all the other moments.
Nov 10, 2017 2:00 PM

Oct 2015
That depends how memorable the show is for me. Death Note, Jojo and Kaiji are examples that I remember most of the moments. And even lower scored ones, it just depends for me. Then, for others I need to see some scenes again. And as you can see my the amount I have watched, I'm bound to forget.

π”šπ”žπ”«π”«π”ž 𝔱𝔬𝔲𝔠π”₯ 𝔢𝔬𝔲,
π”šπ”žπ”«π”±π”¦π”«' 𝔢𝔬𝔲 𝔴𝔦𝔱π”₯ π”žπ”©π”© π”ͺ𝔢 π”ͺ𝔦𝔀π”₯𝔱

Nov 10, 2017 2:04 PM

Jun 2017
Why are you acting like this type of thing pertains to just anime... Everything that requires memory uses one of these types.
I'm a shitposter for fun
Nov 10, 2017 2:13 PM

Jan 2014
Gintokikachi said:
That depends how memorable the show is for me. Death Note, Jojo and Kaiji are examples that I remember most of the moments. And even lower scored ones, it just depends for me. Then, for others I need to see some scenes again. And as you can see my the amount I have watched, I'm bound to forget.

Same. I noticed I even remember lines of some I really liked and thought were memorable. [noticed when rewatching with friends] I think it depends on how focused the show makes me. Other series I barely remember, sometimes even only the interaction of certain characters.. If it is generally rather light-hearted I suppose
Nov 10, 2017 2:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
hey, i even forget some fanservice scenes lol

well, not so much now that i gif them XD
Nov 10, 2017 2:34 PM
kinda tired

Apr 2017
EcchiKingMamster said:
hey, i even forget some fanservice scenes lol

well, not so much now that i gif them XD

Well, now that's what I call dedication.
Nov 10, 2017 2:35 PM

Jan 2017
Depends on the series, like how long ago I watched it, if it was memorable for being good/bad or just so average its forgettable. But generally I would put myself as the first brain, sometimes the second.
Nov 10, 2017 2:36 PM
Jul 2018
I'm the "thoroughly remembers every negative aspect of the anime, no matter how small, but can barely remember anything else" type.
Nov 10, 2017 2:52 PM

Dec 2016
I dont know if this fully answers your question. But once ive watched an Anime i struggle to rewatch it again. No matter how good. I watch anime to want to find out what happens next, so even a good anime like Death Note i struggle to go back and watch it because i know whats going to happen because i remember. I do go back to watch moments but can never re watch an anime which kinda sucks
Nov 10, 2017 2:53 PM
Playing Violet

Jun 2017
Honestly, I feel like I might be both
Nov 10, 2017 3:23 PM

Nov 2014
Likely most people would fall into both, with most shows being stored in memory as category 1, but with the shows they love in category 2.

It's not quite possible to remember every anime you've watched in great detail, unless your memory is distinctly good or you've watched a handful of anime.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Nov 10, 2017 3:31 PM

Apr 2017
I have terrible short term memory and a good deal above average long term memory so I guess type 2
Nov 10, 2017 3:38 PM

Oct 2017
I mostly forget. That's why, while watching, I try to think how I'm feeling while watching the series. So after some time when I look at the name, those feeling come back and so does the memory of the anime.

P.S: I have a friend who only watches a few series but he tends to remember even the little things about those. I tell you, it can get pretty annoying when he talks about something that I saw a year ago and expects me to remember how or what happened.

We can only have good tea
while we're alive.

Nov 10, 2017 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
depends on the show and the rate i watch it ...most of the time when i'm watching seasonal anime i watch like 10-20 anime at a time.
and also when i'm binging it's very common for me to go from one series to the next without skipping a beat.
i forget 90% of the anime i watch...
Nov 10, 2017 3:49 PM

Feb 2016
First one, I guess. I don't particularly retain every single detail. I do remember most of the key stuff that matters though for when I go into the next episode. Sometimes I need a little trigger to refresh my memory though.

Definitely don't remember alot of details though afterwards, long term. I remember to a degree, even better though if it was a anime that stood out or was a particular favorite of mine. At least, I remember longer anyway, lol. I still forget after awhile.

Like looking at my favorites, I still have some recollection of them all except for Rurouni Kenshin. Been too long for me to remember. Only thing I remember is that I loved it. I was watching several episodes at a time (which wasn't usual for me) because I was so into it.

I also remember that I watched it on Crackle... I only saw a handful of stuff on there. Blue Exorcist, Final Fantasy Movie (Forgot which), Rurouni Kenshin. Can't remember any others. That was all probably like 2011-2012.

“Don’t just mindlessly judge people as you please.” – Rin Okumura
“Your past shouldn’t stop you from achieving your goals and dreams.” – Rin Okumura
Nov 10, 2017 4:07 PM

Feb 2013
The latter, since i'm a genius. I can even recite all the characters in Mayoiga by name.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Mayoiga. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of anime tropes most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Hayato’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Mayoiga truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in the bus tour's favourite song “The Unlucky Hippopotamus,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Mari Okada’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. πŸ˜‚

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Nyanta tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎
Nov 10, 2017 4:24 PM

Oct 2017
depends on the anime some i remember completely others i remember parts and others i forget all but the title and how attached/distant i am to the series.
Nov 10, 2017 10:51 PM
Jul 2018
Good answers everyone, I'm going to write what I wrote to someone in a PM here. This is mainly how I've been feeling about anime, and this is also how the overall comprehension of anime seems to work on my part. I tend to look very deep into an anime, even if it means going into details that the writer doesn't really expect the reader to think or ponder about.

This would be an example, in what I wrote below:

I've started watching the .Hack series only to find out that there are so many seasons to it. I watched Signs and Roots. Both were good, but I will admit that I found the writing for those two a little difficult to keep up with, much like I am somewhat finding with A Certain Magical Index. Not getting a level of grasping on the writing of any anime typically puts me into a placement where I feel as if I should lower its rating. I experience anime where I either really enjoy the writing or for some reason the writing just doesn't roll off the tip of my tongue. Not realty sure how I would explain this neuroscientifically.

This is actually one of the major reasons why I have been not enjoying anime as much these days. But it isn't to say that I don't enjoy anime either. I just find that there's been a lot more ???'s popping up into my head after completing a show. Things that I felt that were either not explained in as much detail as I'd like or they just weren't explained at all. An example would be in Shakugan no Shana. For those who have watched that anime, we all know what the Midnight Lost Child is, but does it actually explain what it is other than by saying what it does? Is there an embodiment to it, something substantial and physical that makes the reader/watcher know exactly what it looks like, and how it functions?

In A Certain Magical Index. I know details about it, being 13 episodes in. But I feel I am not getting the full picture. Like, we have Index. I know what is in Index's mind. I know some of Kamijo's believes and values. I know what his special ability is. I know why the bad guys want Index to some degree. I know that Mikoto comes from an Esper Academy, but I have no idea why there are clones of her, I have no idea why she's involved in the fights against the main bad guys. Little missing details like this that I am never seemingly able to pick up on - on my own - based on my own ability to comprehend the writing, often leaves me sad and bummed out. Because it always leaves me with a feeling like I am missing that one link that connects everything together, and that is just a horrible feeling.
Nov 10, 2017 11:34 PM

Jul 2012
I personally don't think those are mutually exclusive and at least in my case are almost entirely dependent on how much I enjoyed (or conversely hated) a series.
Like for every show I watch I can remember major events and if it's a show I greatly enjoyed (like one in my favorites) I can pretty much remember every significant moment and arc in the series to the point that my absolute favorite series I can remember context going back years. While series I absolutely hated in some cases I can pinpoint the exact moment where the series shot itself in the foot (assuming the whole thing wasn't trash from start to finish).
But in other aspects for average series I'm often in the first category I remember major plot points and a basic summary of the series but I don't remember many specifics without the context of the show.
Nov 10, 2017 11:50 PM

Jun 2016
Probably the second one, I've watched Baccano so many times I can quote all of Claire Stanfield's lines off by heart.
Nov 11, 2017 12:18 AM
Apr 2017
Nexu said:
Moved from the Creative Corner Board.

O/T:
I get to the point where I only remember the best moments, or the ending. Otherwise I can't really remember specific moments unless I jog my memory with a video or even a picture.

I'm with the mod on this one, I watch the show, 1 year later if u ask me about it I won't know wtf you talking about but if you show me a picture or scene then I can tell you anything you need to know

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

14 by Ohayotaku »»
29 seconds ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 9 hours ago

23 by Toooooooooohru »»
9 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

64 by LostSpectre »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 24

32 by Dauphine »»
16 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

8 by mizukasa »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.