Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Does funimation suck?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 3, 2010 12:47 AM

Jun 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
But with Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, I know there are english voice actors are capable, it's just companies like Funimation fail to hire good quality voice actors, instead they stick with alright to bad voice actors on the cheap.

How can you say that when you apparently haven't even seen a FUNimation dubbed anime except for one, DBZ, that you claim to have actually liked? (Yes, I checked, and none of your listed dubs are FUNimation series)

Strangely enough, even I wasn't too thrilled with Trigun's dub. I'd never say it was bad, but I didn't think JYB fit Vash too well and I was kind of on the edge with Milly's voice.
Aug 3, 2010 1:01 AM

Apr 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:
But with Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, I know there are english voice actors are capable, it's just companies like Funimation fail to hire good quality voice actors, instead they stick with alright to bad voice actors on the cheap.

How can you say that when you apparently haven't even seen a FUNimation dubbed anime except for one, DBZ, that you claim to have actually liked? (Yes, I checked, and none of your listed dubs are FUNimation series)

Strangely enough, even I wasn't too thrilled with Trigun's dub. I'd never say it was bad, but I didn't think JYB fit Vash too well and I was kind of on the edge with Milly's voice.

Well that list I put up was only a few, but to list only Funimation anime I've seen is Afro Samurai, but I like their voice acting.

But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima, that's all I can remember but I feel like I've tried at least a couple more, but they just didn't compare to the Japanese voice acting, but Black Lagoon was close, I remember watching it on Starz movie channel, it was decent but I liked the original better.
Aug 3, 2010 1:08 AM

Jun 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:

Well that list I put up was only a few, but to list only Funimation anime I've seen is Afro Samurai, but I like their voice acting.

But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima, that's all I can remember but I feel like I've tried at least a couple more, but they just didn't compare to the Japanese voice acting, but Black Lagoon was close, I remember watching it on Starz movie channel, it was decent but I liked the original better.

Baccano! is actually widely agreed, even among sub fans, to have a great dub, so that looks like more personal issues there (Black Lagoon too, but I already mentioned that one). And are you sure you saw the FUNimation dub of Initial D? There are two, and FUNi's is very recent. I hear the other one was pretty bad, so you might have seen that one. Negima is also one I've come across, and from what I've heard I'd agree that it's not good. And Air Gear was dubbed by ADV, not FUNimation.
Aug 3, 2010 2:01 AM
Nov 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima

Are we talking about Tokyo Pop's release of Initial D, or FUNimation's redub?
Aug 3, 2010 2:39 AM

Apr 2008
Onibokusu said:
Goodtimes420 said:
But the others I tried and didnt like, Beck, Air Gear, Baccano, black Cat, Black Lagoon, Initial D, and Negima

I don't know, never really checked when I watched it, I just downloaded dvdrips with dual audio about 6 months ago to re-watch the series sense its one of the only GOOD racing animes, and tried watching it dubbed, but that lasted an episode before I went to subs.
Aug 3, 2010 3:09 AM
Nov 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
Onibokusu said:
Goodtimes420 said:

I don't know, never really checked when I watched it, I just downloaded dvdrips with dual audio about 6 months ago to re-watch the series sense its one of the only GOOD racing animes, and tried watching it dubbed, but that lasted an episode before I went to subs.

Tokyo Pop dub then.
Aug 3, 2010 11:05 AM

May 2010
Goodtimes420 said:

Mentioning Beck, Baccano, and Black Lagoon really surprises me considering they all have very good English dubs. On ANN the professional reviewers actually rate the English dubbed version of these anime a little higher (and that almost never happens). If these are some your mentioning as being bad English dubs then I can say easily say your basing most of what you said on your personal opinions rather than the actual quality of the voice actors.
Aug 4, 2010 3:28 AM

Apr 2008
Fletchaaa said:
Goodtimes420 said:

Mentioning Beck, Baccano, and Black Lagoon really surprises me considering they all have very good English dubs. On ANN the professional reviewers actually rate the English dubbed version of these anime a little higher (and that almost never happens). If these are some your mentioning as being bad English dubs then I can say easily say your basing most of what you said on your personal opinions rather than the actual quality of the voice actors.

There are many different critics in the world with different opinions, if there was absolutely no personal opinion then there wouldn't be so many different critics, as these different critics have their own way of judging movies, tv, anime, etc.

And like any critic, I try do judge based on quality from different aspects, and the anime I listed above I didn't say were bad, I just didn't like them as much as the Japanese voice acting. I'm starting to get tired of everyone putting words in my mouth, I never say their bad...

I SIMPLY SAY THEIR JUST NOT AS GOOD.

I don't go I hate the voice so it sucks, when I attempt to watch a dub I try to listen to the quality based on the situation the voice actor is faced in the many situations in the anime.

For instance, an anime character is displaying anger, and yet the voice acter doesn't sound angry, but instead sounds like he's just talking normally in a louder tone. Seriously, if their suppose to act out anger and they don't achieve that, how is it better then the Japapnese voice acting that DID achieve that?
Aug 4, 2010 3:32 AM

Mar 2009
Saying "dub" and "good" in the same sentence without a "not" in between, is an oxymoron.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 4, 2010 12:07 PM

Jun 2008
kodial said:
Saying "dub" and "good" in the same sentence without a "not" in between, is an oxymoron.

Just take the "oxy" out and that's what you are.

For instance, an anime character is displaying anger, and yet the voice acter doesn't sound angry, but instead sounds like he's just talking normally in a louder tone. Seriously, if their suppose to act out anger and they don't achieve that, how is it better then the Japapnese voice acting that DID achieve that?

If this ever happened, sure. Got an instance for me where it did?
Aug 4, 2010 1:18 PM
Mar 2010
Doesn’t it seem a little strange to be having a argument over dubbing versus subbing, in a thread about Funimation? If someone would prefer subbed anime why would Funimation be of any relevance?

I would go as far to agree that (from the best I can tell) often, though not always, the Japanese voice actors do a superior job in comparison English actors, But seeing as I can’t understand Japanese( I believe this is the same for anyone else who would watch subs), I find it hard to get the same immersion when they mind as well be speaking elaborate gibberish that manages to keep within the general emotion in the context of what I'm reading at the bottom of the screen and situation depicted on the screen. I would also argue that it distracts from the show and feels less natural, being forced to read the dialog at the bottom of the screen constantly.

Being spoken in an incomprehensible language (to anyone who isn’t reasonably fluent in Japanese A.K.A people who needs subs) coupled with hassle/distraction of reading subs while trying to watch the show; I would rather suffer with mild actors than the alternative, which was honestly why only reason I even cared about the state of Dance in the Vampire Bund.
Aug 4, 2010 2:47 PM
Nov 2008
ITT: Dubs pre-2004 used as an example of the currently quality of English dubs.
Aug 4, 2010 3:18 PM

Oct 2008
Onibokusu said:

What does that have to do with anything, especially Funimation licensing what I believe to be a mediocre, yet briefly-controversial show? Really, what?
Aug 4, 2010 6:35 PM

May 2010
Goodtimes420 said:
And like any critic, I try do judge based on quality from different aspects, and the anime I listed above I didn't say were bad, I just didn't like them as much as the Japanese voice acting. I'm starting to get tired of everyone putting words in my mouth, I never say their bad...

I SIMPLY SAY THEIR JUST NOT AS GOOD.

I don't go I hate the voice so it sucks, when I attempt to watch a dub I try to listen to the quality based on the situation the voice actor is faced in the many situations in the anime.

Well to be exact you said that the English dubs in these anime did not compare to the Japanese voice acting, which I took as you calling them bad. Anyways they obviously do compare if a professional reviewer (not some random person) can call the English dub better. I am not saying it is better, all I am saying is that they are very good. I have no problem with you preferring subs but it's annoying to see when you go and say things like this.
FletchaaaAug 4, 2010 6:38 PM
Aug 4, 2010 8:01 PM
Nov 2008
Hypeathon said:
Onibokusu said:

What does that have to do with anything, especially Funimation licensing what I believe to be a mediocre, yet briefly-controversial show? Really, what?
Everything.

Companies improve.
Aug 5, 2010 9:09 PM
Mar 2010
Onibokusu said:
Hypeathon said:
Onibokusu said:

Everything.

Companies improve.

Your words could have saved alot of people in the 1929 stock market crash. :(
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

porkypink - Jan 13, 2010

233 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:35 AM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Jan 6, 2010

310 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:33 AM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

kerobear - Feb 17, 2010

180 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 29, 2023 8:12 PM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Proselyt - Feb 11, 2010

221 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 29, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 31, 2010

169 by Tenshi_Budo »»
Jul 15, 2023 5:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.