Does funimation suck?
Yes
16.7%
YES
83.3%
42 votes
Mar 16, 2010 11:17 AM
Feb 2010
Seems funimation got their disgusting hands on this. Awful, just awful.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2010 11:36 AM

Oct 2009
Well, they need to hurry up and release episode 9 already!!! (And please sub the re-cap episode too!)
Mar 16, 2010 6:01 PM
Feb 2010
I'm going to find a new way to watch the anime. I'm not watching censored funimation crap.
Mar 16, 2010 11:09 PM

Sep 2008
I normally enjoy Funimation's work, but this is not one that I want to watch after they edit they hell out of it.
Jul 5, 2010 2:46 AM
Mar 2010
I have a question concerning this topic; are the streaming version and the DVD version going to be the same as far a Funimations editing?

Because when I saw Funimation bring over IPs like Rin, Shigurui and Strike Witches I got my hopes up, but good god if they edit Dance in the Vampire Bund as much as the streaming version, I may not even buy the pile of crap. The first episode was missing full scenes and all the mosaics made it look cheap and trashy; like someone was told to put a girls gone wild comerial on Kids WB and censor accordingly... All they need to do it make the dub idiotic and replace the mosaics with some marigraw beads and we'll be set. (T_T) I think its the worst I've seen them do yet.
Jul 20, 2010 12:55 PM

Jun 2008
^No, the DVD version will be completely uncensored. Source:
However, FUNimation is — as always — committed to bringing the best anime content to the United States in its unedited form on home video. Therefore, we are evaluating the release of the series in unedited and uncensored form for home video.

Oh, and poll sucks, FUNimation doesn't.
Jul 25, 2010 12:04 AM
Mar 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
^No, the DVD version will be completely uncensored. Source:
However, FUNimation is — as always — committed to bringing the best anime content to the United States in its unedited form on home video. Therefore, we are evaluating the release of the series in unedited and uncensored form for home video.

Oh, and poll sucks, FUNimation doesn't.

Hmm, well if that’s true that would be great. (but I bought Strike Witches from Funimation on DVD and it was the standard version NOT the Uncut version, which sucked) on the other hand I don't follow this "polls suck". Is this like a I'm too cool for voting stance? You have two options "yes." and "YES!" what’s the problem? It leaves total control over how avid are about Funimation sucking.

*honestly I don’t think for the most part Funimation is that bad, at least they Dub everything and put out quality products, on the other hand it is just as important to me that I get the full and intended product I am buying. :-)
Jul 25, 2010 12:24 AM

Jun 2008
You sure? According to this some of the streams were edited but the DVD was released uncut. They always release DVDs uncut (as my other link stated, it is their commitment to bring anime to the US uncensored), so it would make no sense for one to be edited.
Aug 1, 2010 11:14 PM
Mar 2010
Redfoxoffire said:
You sure? According to this some of the streams were edited but the DVD was released uncut. They always release DVDs uncut (as my other link stated, it is their commitment to bring anime to the US uncensored), so it would make no sense for one to be edited.

Well you could consider Strike Witches uncensored, but if I'm correct they came out with a version of Strike Witches in Japan post the first retail release that differed in content (Which I have seen but may be "fan edited", though I believe it's an official.)

...I'm not sure if the above even concerned the topic that much but moving on.

The last statement I have found was in, I think it was made around May, saying that they will show the first 7 episodes uncut and uncensored but that they are looking in to the rest to make sure it is compliant with US law, which sounds a little extreme I wouldn't think it could even be illegal in US (though I did read this on Wikipedia lol).

But anyway to summarize your likely correct that Dance in the Vampire Bund will be uncut and uncensored, but I can't seem to find any statement past may or even a release date any more though... I just found out about the statement I'm referencing less than a week ago. lol :-(

Oh, by the way I was curious, what anime is the character from on your sig, I'm trying to find new anime to watch so I thought I'd ask seeing as you have Lucy avatar,if you don't mind me asking. :-)
Aug 1, 2010 11:22 PM

Apr 2008
YUP FUNIMATION SUCKS! I don't watch anime that is distributed by North American distributors, it may not happen much, but all the ones I've watched have editied scripts, scenes, etc. So I'll never buy or watch anything from funimation or any other North American distributors. THEY KILLED ONE PIECE! (not sure if it was Funimation but some North American company did) Original from Japan or not at all...

I hope all North American distributors DIE and go out of business, and let the fansubbers prosper with subbing the original releases!
Aug 1, 2010 11:31 PM

Mar 2009
Funimation is an ugly cancerous growth on the face of the Earth. Them and every other company the lincensing anime and manga for distribution for North America. As if they're the only country with people that like that stuff besides Japan. I hope they run out of business.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 1, 2010 11:34 PM

Jun 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
I don't watch anime that is distributed by North American distributors, it may not happen much, but all the ones I've watched have editied scripts, scenes, etc.

What the hell have you watched then? 4kids One Piece and DiC Sailor Moon? Edits to licensed anime is extremely rare these days.
Aug 2, 2010 12:14 AM

Apr 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:
I don't watch anime that is distributed by North American distributors, it may not happen much, but all the ones I've watched have editied scripts, scenes, etc.

What the hell have you watched then? 4kids One Piece and DiC Sailor Moon? Edits to licensed anime is extremely rare these days.

Never watched Sailor Moon, during the time that aired, I was mostly watching DBZ, but no I never did watch 4kids One Piece, but I read up on all the changes they made.

But it's just the ones that I did try to watch had different scripts, and scenes taken out or changed, etc. plus I did mention it may not happen much anymore, but I also forgot to mention that most english voice acting SUCKS! The ones I could tolerate was Cowboy Bebop and Ghost in the Shell. If they can't even get decent voice actors then they shouldn't be doing it at all.

Again die and go out of business North American distributors and let the fansubbers prosper.
Aug 2, 2010 12:18 AM
Nov 2008
kodial said:
Funimation is an ugly cancerous growth on the face of the Earth. Them and every other company the lincensing anime and manga for distribution for North America. As if they're the only country with people that like that stuff besides Japan. I hope they run out of business.

You may think that the companies are mistranslating, but the fansubbers are really just masturbating.
Aug 2, 2010 2:03 AM

Apr 2008
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:

You may think that the companies are mistranslating, but the fansubbers are really just masturbating.

It's not that I believe their mistranslating, I just believe they change the script because of the type of network it's going to air on, as 4kids did to One Piece as 4kids was meant for kids or the age demographic they THINK will be popular with in the change of culture, but that's obviously wrong as it seems most anime fans in western nations continue to go with fansubbers.
Aug 2, 2010 2:09 AM
Mar 2010
Honestly the R1 censoring ad editing has been getting much less over the last 10 years, I don't think Queen's Blade, Kanokon, Shigurui, or Rin would have seen light in the 1990's on R1 grounds before. I'm was concerned about Dance in the Vampire Bund because it seems to be slightly more controversial than anything I've seen in the states as far as anime goes, maybe mimicking Stanley Kubrick's Lolita in a way.

Is this some sort of special fan service the fansubbers give that I don't know about? ... No wonder people continue to go with fansubbers!
Aug 2, 2010 3:13 AM

Jun 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
but I also forgot to mention that most english voice acting SUCKS!

Oh, you're that kind of person. If this was a more appropriate thread I'd make a serious response, but somehow I don't think I'll be gaining much from doing that here.

It's not that I believe their mistranslating, I just believe they change the script because of the type of network it's going to air on

This is pretty much limited to 4kids, who practically doesn't do anime anymore. You may find some very minor script edits in releases from companies like FUNimation and Viz Media, but those will only be due to losses in translation and should have little to no impact on the actual story. Even fansubbers have started doing things like this recently.
Aug 2, 2010 3:33 AM

Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:

I'm not talking about the quality of their translations, and I don't care about them anyway. My grudge against funimation is that they're a US based channel, targeting American customers and yet with their C&D letters to funsubbers, they're trying to prohibit watching anime for the people in the rest of the world as well.
Signature? I ain't got no signature! I don't need no signature! I don't have to show you any stinkin' signature!
Aug 2, 2010 3:40 AM

Apr 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:
but I also forgot to mention that most english voice acting SUCKS!

Oh, you're that kind of person. If this was a more appropriate thread I'd make a serious response, but somehow I don't think I'll be gaining much from doing that here.

It's not that I believe their mistranslating, I just believe they change the script because of the type of network it's going to air on

This is pretty much limited to 4kids, who practically doesn't do anime anymore. You may find some very minor script edits in releases from companies like FUNimation and Viz Media, but those will only be due to losses in translation and should have little to no impact on the actual story. Even fansubbers have started doing things like this recently.

Not sure what you mean by that kind of person, but when you compare Japanese voice acting to North American distributors english voice acting, there's an obvious difference in quality, and english voice acting is the loser. But if you can prove me wrong PLEASE do, because I would prefer to listen then to read, but when it comes to quality, I would rather read subs with GOOD voice acting then to listen to crappy voice acting that would kill any good characters.

@kodial - That's a good point, I've never thought about that before, another reason to hate North American distributors, just another typical American money grubbing corporation, they want more money at the expense of other nations that has nothing to do with their company.
DankEvergreenAug 2, 2010 3:48 AM
Aug 2, 2010 4:00 AM

Jun 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
Not sure what you mean by that kind of person, but when you compare Japanese voice acting to North American distributors english voice acting, there's an obvious difference in quality, and english voice acting is the loser. But if you can prove me wrong PLEASE do, because I would prefer to listen then to read, but when it comes to quality, I would rather read subs with GOOD voice acting then to listen to crappy voice acting that would kill any good characters.

I can't prove it, but not because you're right; because I can tell you're the kind of person who won't accept that it's good no matter what, especially if you think Japanese voice acting is superior to American voice acting all the time (Hint: You can't comment on Japanese voice acting unless you are fluent in the language). The truth is that neither really wins in most cases; the most common reasons people think Japanese voice acting is better are not because it actually is, but the following:
1. They are used to a show in Japanese so hearing English voices sounds strange.
2. They know English and can actually judge it, but don't know Japanese so think it sounds just fine.

English dubs of the last decade have gotten better and better. I'd say it's actually fairly hard to find a dub released in the past ~5 years that is truly bad because the good have been outweighing them. As far as this thread is concerned, I have yet to find a FUNimation-dubbed anime that's worse than what I would call average.
Aug 2, 2010 4:02 AM
Nov 2008
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:

I'm not talking about the quality of their translations, and I don't care about them anyway. My grudge against funimation is that they're a US based channel, targeting American customers and yet with their C&D letters to funsubbers, they're trying to prohibit watching anime for the people in the rest of the world as well.

These sites are mostly U.S. based. You're accessing them under U.S. law. Tough luck.
Aug 2, 2010 4:11 AM

Sep 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
English dubs of the last decade have gotten better and better. I'd say it's actually fairly hard to find a dub released in the past ~5 years that is truly bad because the good have been outweighing them.
Look at Clannad, unless you mean the good of the anime because it's a great series. I agree with your 2 points wholeheartedly because they are practically facts.

I'm always pro-dub though since it's just another way to watch anime.
Sheesh, people still deny that anime is a business?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2010 4:13 AM

Apr 2008
Redfoxoffire said:
Goodtimes420 said:

I can't prove it, but not because you're right; because I can tell you're the kind of person who won't accept that it's good no matter what, especially if you think Japanese voice acting is superior to American voice acting all the time (Hint: You can't comment on Japanese voice acting unless you are fluent in the language). The truth is that neither really wins in most cases; the most common reasons people think Japanese voice acting is better are not because it actually is, but the following:
1. They are used to a show in Japanese so hearing English voices sounds strange.
2. They know English and can actually judge it, but don't know Japanese so think it sounds just fine.

English dubs of the last decade have gotten better and better. I'd say it's actually fairly hard to find a dub released in the past ~5 years that is truly bad because the good have been outweighing them. As far as this thread is concerned, I have yet to find a FUNimation-dubbed anime that's worse than what I would call average.

Well 1) I started watching anime dubbed, till I re-watched an anime and realized the voice acting was so much better so it has nothing to do with what I'm use to. 2) I judge voice acting by tone, reaction, emotions, etc. it has NOTHING to do with understanding the language. 3) I would watch even family guy in Japanese if Japan came out with better voice acting, but I doubt they could come up with something better simply because shows like family guy actually have GOOD voice acting.

And yes you can prove it to me by simply suggesting ANY ANIME, that can display better tone, reactions, emotions etc. in it's english voice acting. I'm a pretty open minded guy that respects others opinions and suggestions. I'm not the type of person that will look down on anyone cause they think differently then me, if you like dub better so what, the most I would do is say my reasons for liking Japanese voice acting better when it comes to anime.

Also I'm not saying the english voice acting isn't getting better, I'm just saying that it's still not as good, in my opinion.

HawthorneKitty said:
Redfoxoffire said:
English dubs of the last decade have gotten better and better. I'd say it's actually fairly hard to find a dub released in the past ~5 years that is truly bad because the good have been outweighing them.
Look at Clannad, unless you mean the good of the anime because it's a great series. I agree with your 2 points wholeheartedly because they are practically facts.

I'm always pro-dub though since it's just another way to watch anime.
Sheesh, people still deny that anime is a business?

Not denying anything, and not disagreeing with english voice acting isn't getting better, I'm just saying, most of current anime english voice acting still doesn't compare to the quality of anime Japanese voice acting. English voice acting has potential, but North American distributors just dub with crappy voice actors. Shows such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, The Boondocks, have good if not great voice acting, but again North American anime distributors hire crappy voice actors, and it's not worth my time to watch or purchase till they up the quality, if they don't have the money to do better because their not getting enough sales, then they should just quit, because it's not going to get better till they have better voice actors.
DankEvergreenAug 2, 2010 4:20 AM
Aug 2, 2010 4:18 AM

Mar 2009
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:

These sites are mostly U.S. based. You're accessing them under U.S. law. Tough luck.

Tough luck for them, when the majority of people will be supporting piracy against their halfassed attempts to distribute anime. In the long run, funsubbers will not be stopped and funimation employees will be looking for a new job.
Aug 2, 2010 4:19 AM
Nov 2008
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:

Tough luck for them, when the majority of people will be supporting piracy against their halfassed attempts to distribute anime. In the long run, funsubbers will not be stopped and funimation employees will be looking for a new job.

Nice dreams buddy. Money speaks louder than words.
Aug 2, 2010 4:21 AM

Sep 2008
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:
So you're just finding Funimation annoying for trying to take legal action where it is absolutely right? Just let them do what they want, or is bitching about it making you feel better?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 2, 2010 4:23 AM

Mar 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:
Onibokusu said:
kodial said:
So you're just finding Funimation annoying for trying to take legal action where it is absolutely right? Just let them do what they want, or is bitching about it making you feel better?

I would not care if they would consider people outside the US too, but they don't. As if watching anime is a right exclusive only for Japan and USA.
Aug 2, 2010 4:24 AM

Apr 2008
Money may speak louder then words, but FREE is louder then any cost, so piracy and fansubbers will win in the end... Plus if it gets bad enough, I've seen people host their sites in nations where these laws don't apply.
Aug 2, 2010 4:25 AM

Mar 2009
Goodtimes420 said:
Money may speak louder then words, but FREE is louder then any cost, so piracy and fansubbers will win in the end...

Amen!
Aug 2, 2010 4:30 AM

Sep 2008
kodial said:
Lets bring this back to your first post then.

Exactly. Funimation is a company that needs to stay wants to stay alive just like any other company. I know nothing about the costs, but setting another division in another continent might not be profitable in the long run, so it's reasonable that they target where they know there is a chance of profit.

Just because a ton of people are pirating doesn't mean people aren't buying. If they are alive, that means they probably are still confident in the market. So it's not like they lose. Everyone wins in a sense.
Aug 2, 2010 4:36 AM

Mar 2009
HawthorneKitty said:
kodial said:
Lets bring this back to your first post then.

Exactly. Funimation is a company that needs to stay wants to stay alive just like any other company. I know nothing about the costs, but setting another division in another continent might not be profitable in the long run, so it's reasonable that they target where they know there is a chance of profit.

Just because a ton of people are pirating doesn't mean people aren't buying. If they are alive, that means they probably are still confident in the market. So it's not like they lose. Everyone wins in a sense.

Yeah but for how long? As long as the rest of the world have no other means to watch anime besides piracy, there will be funsubbers. And as long as there are funsubbers, the majority of Americans will as well be choosing them instead of paying for their crappy distributions.
Aug 2, 2010 4:39 AM

Aug 2009
kodial said:
Then how on Earth are we gonna get anime's on DvD?

Aside from going to japan and own a copy of subless anime.
If you're thinking fansub, you cant watch that on DvD unless you copy into a disc but that would suck since it's just a blank shit. If you're thinking of other countries subbing it, should of seen the spelling mistakes they have.

Without licensing anime, there won't be anime's on DvD for foriegners to enjoy. [IMO]
Aug 2, 2010 4:42 AM

Sep 2008
You're missing the point. That minority you speak of is enough for them to get profits. It's as simple as that. When are they going to get out of business? Nobody can tell when.
Aug 2, 2010 4:43 AM

Apr 2008
With the way things are going, they are not going to win, they will stay the same quality or go out of business, and current north american distributors are no where near the quality of Japanese anime companies.

But if any company is going to win, it will be web sites like crunchy roll.

HawthorneKitty said:
That minority you speak of is enough for them to get profits. It's as simple as that. When are they going to get out of business? Nobody can tell when.

I do agree buyers of North American distributed anime are minorities, but those profits are not enough to raise it's quality, and quality is what will keep them around, so if anything their quality will stay the same or go out of business, plus on ANN, I've seen news reports of most north american anime distributors are losing money, but that was a couple of months ago.
Aug 2, 2010 4:44 AM

Mar 2009
Kairen said:
kodial said:

If you're thinking fansub, you cant watch that on DvD unless you copy into a disc but that would suck since it's just a blank shit. If you're thinking of other countries subbing it, should of seen the spelling mistakes they have.

Without licensing anime, there won't be anime's on DvD for foriegners to enjoy. [IMO]

I'm not against licensing anime. I'm against hogging it all for yourselves. If Funimation would open up store here, I'd buy.

But with that being said, I would not buy any crap and I don't give anyone the benefit of the doubt. First I would watch it free through piracy and then if I liked it so much I would buy it. I've done so with Berserk, one of the few mangas that I like and managed to find its way here somehow.

If for example, I would find Death Note DVDs here, I would surely buy them. And many others. But there are nowhere because companies like Funimation got the rights to distribute it and they don't give a shit about people outside of the US. So ofcourse, I download to watch them.
Aug 2, 2010 4:48 AM

Apr 2008
Kairen said:
kodial said:

Without licensing anime, there won't be anime's on DvD for foriegners to enjoy.

There will probably always bee anime DVDs, but I could see english dubs dieing out, and the dvds being released in North America will be simply subbed sense it's tremendously cheaper to sub then to dub.

I just hope Japanese companies come over here and do the subbing instead of current North American distributors.
DankEvergreenAug 2, 2010 4:51 AM
Aug 2, 2010 5:02 AM

Sep 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
I do agree buyers of North American distributed anime are minorities, but those profits are not enough to raise it's quality, and quality is what will keep them around, so if anything their quality will stay the same or go out of business, plus on ANN, I've seen news reports of most north american anime distributors are losing money, but that was a couple of months ago.
That was probably 4kids and ADV, but ADV shutting down was not because of quality IIRC. I'm not concerned though since I could live with or without them peacefully.

From your other posts, you complain about the voice acting for the most part. Maybe you should be attacking the voice actors instead. Wait, it's the company's fault for hiring people that don't meet your expectations? There's a cost to everything. Wait, so just don't release it if you can't get the perfect voices? Don't be silly.

Earlier you said to show you an anime that the dub surpassed the original.
Check out NANA then, [opinionz lolz]though it was unable to surpass it since you can't pass perfection[/opinionz lolz]. Probably not your cup of tea since you're so into shounen, but w/e.
Aug 2, 2010 5:22 AM

Apr 2008
HawthorneKitty said:
Goodtimes420 said:
That was probably 4kids and ADV, but ADV shutting down was not because of quality IIRC. I'm not concerned though since I could live with or without them peacefully.

From your other posts, you complain about the voice acting for the most part. Maybe you should be attacking the voice actors instead. Wait, it's the company's fault for hiring people that don't meet your expectations? There's a cost to everything. Wait, so just don't release it if you can't get the perfect voices? Don't be silly.

Earlier you said to show you an anime that the dub surpassed the original.
Check out NANA then, [opinionz lolz]though it was unable to surpass it since you can't pass perfection[/opinionz lolz]. Probably not your cup of tea since you're so into shounen, but w/e.

Yes the company is reliable for distributing good quality products, it's their responsibility to hire good voice actors. Also I'm not alone about how bad the voice acting is, or more people would be buying or downloading the dubs more, but sometimes it can be hard to find a PIRATED DUB and easy to find a subbed version from fansubs. I wouldn't be surprise if people who like dubs are in the minority compared to those who prefer the higher quality voice acting from Japan. Only in anime though cause I doubt Japan could come up with something better then family guy, american dad voice acting, I could see something equal though, but even if Japan did come up with something equal I would still prefer english family guy.

But they can release lower quality voice acting all they want, it'll just keep them where their at, low quality and leaving fansubs more popular.

And I've also heard NANA had decent english voice acting, and if none of the scenes or scripts are changed/edited, I'll give it a shot, watch the dub FIRST, then watch the subbed and compare. In the end it'll still be my personal opinion.

But it still won't change the higher popularity for subs then the least popular dubs.
Aug 2, 2010 8:26 AM

May 2010
At first Funimation was going to release this anime censored because they said it was inappropriate for the American audience or something along those lines. Later after everyone flipped out they decided to change their minds and say they will release it uncensored due to the many many people who said they would not buy it with censors. This just proves that Funimation does not suck because 1) They still to my knowledge haven't released anything censored and 2) Actually listens to their fan base and will change things if enough people are concerned about it. If you want to complain about a company go talk about 4kids, leave the best NA anime licensing company alone.

Goodtimes420 said:

Yes the company is reliable for distributing good quality products, it's their responsibility to hire good voice actors. Also I'm not alone about how bad the voice acting is, or more people would be buying or downloading the dubs more, but sometimes it can be hard to find a PIRATED DUB and easy to find a subbed version from fansubs. I wouldn't be surprise if people who like dubs are in the minority compared to those who prefer the higher quality voice acting from Japan. Only in anime though cause I doubt Japan could come up with something better then family guy, american dad voice acting, I could see something equal though, but even if Japan did come up with something equal I would still prefer english family guy.

But they can release lower quality voice acting all they want, it'll just keep them where their at, low quality and leaving fansubs more popular.

And I've also heard NANA had decent english voice acting, and if none of the scenes or scripts are changed/edited, I'll give it a shot, watch the dub FIRST, then watch the subbed and compare. In the end it'll still be my personal opinion.

But it still won't change the higher popularity for subs then the least popular dubs.

Since this topic is about Funimation I am going to just assume your talking about Funimation. Point out to me an English dub by them that you would say has bad voice acting because I am curious to know. It sounds to me like you just completely dislike the English language as compared to the Japanese one. Most of the Funimation English dubs are good in my opinion. I have yet to see one where I went to watch and I was like "This is awful" and stopped watching it. And yes I watch both subs and dubs but prefer English dubs if they have one.

I would love to know how you claim the knowledge of knowing the majority of fans for downloading/buying dubs compared to subs. Have you ever seen an anime thread that has been announced without an English dub? There is normally a large majority of people complaining about it while fewer saying they should just buy it anyways. The truth is that there is a huge majority of people who only watch English dubbed anime and refuse to watch subs (whether their reasons are justified or not). I am not claiming to know for a fact that most anime fans watch English dubs more than subs but I am assuming they do just because of the large amounts of people that watch anime like Naruto or Bleach only. Maybe if we get into the more hardcore fans you would see a difference but as for the casual fans I would say its the other way around. Anyways what I am saying is that you could not possibly know what you just said as fact.
FletchaaaAug 2, 2010 8:50 AM
Aug 2, 2010 12:25 PM

Jun 2008
HawthorneKitty said:

I thought Clannad's dub was fine. Not great, but not bad either. Kyou's too-old voice was the only real issue I had.

Goodtimes420 said:
1) I started watching anime dubbed, till I re-watched an anime and realized the voice acting was so much better so it has nothing to do with what I'm use to.

What anime was this, may I ask?

2) I judge voice acting by tone, reaction, emotions, etc. it has NOTHING to do with understanding the language.

No. There are plenty of nuances in any language, things you can't pick up if you don't know the language, that go into a good acting performance. You're an idiot if you think you can judge the voice acting off only things like emotion.

3) I would watch even family guy in Japanese if Japan came out with better voice acting, but I doubt they could come up with something better simply because shows like family guy actually have GOOD voice acting.

I bet if you got used to it first in Japanese you wouldn't think that as much.

And yes you can prove it to me by simply suggesting ANY ANIME, that can display better tone, reactions, emotions etc. in it's english voice acting. I'm a pretty open minded guy that respects others opinions and suggestions.

Like I said before, neither wins in most cases. There are only a few cases where I would seriously suggest a dub over a sub to someone else out of more than just personal preference, and one of them is something I believe you've already mentioned, Ghost in the Shell: SAC. I don't remember the others at the moment...Black Lagoon would likely be better as well, to hear a black guy as Dutch, Revy's constant cursing as opposed to reading it, and all the various accents.

Not denying anything, and not disagreeing with english voice acting isn't getting better, I'm just saying, most of current anime english voice acting still doesn't compare to the quality of anime Japanese voice acting. English voice acting has potential, but North American distributors just dub with crappy voice actors. Shows such as The Simpsons, Family Guy, American Dad, The Boondocks, have good if not great voice acting, but again North American anime distributors hire crappy voice actors, and it's not worth my time to watch or purchase till they up the quality, if they don't have the money to do better because their not getting enough sales, then they should just quit, because it's not going to get better till they have better voice actors.

At this point I'm going to need a full list of everything you've seen dubbed. If you truly believe more recent dubs from companies like FUNimation and Viz Media have "crappy" voice acting then you need to stop fapping to the Japanese language so much.

Goodtimes420 said:
sometimes it can be hard to find a PIRATED DUB and easy to find a subbed version from fansubs.

That's funny, because part of the reason I like dubs is that it's easier to find it than to find a quality subbing over all the crappy ones.

Fletchaaa said:
I would love to know how you claim the knowledge of knowing the majority of fans for downloading/buying dubs compared to subs. Have you ever seen an anime thread that has been announced without an English dub? There is normally a large majority of people complaining about it while fewer saying they should just buy it anyways. The truth is that there is a huge majority of people who only watch English dubbed anime and refuse to watch subs (whether their reasons are justified or not). I am not claiming to know for a fact that most anime fans watch English dubs more than subs but I am assuming they do just because of the large amounts of people that watch anime like Naruto or Bleach only. Maybe if we get into the more hardcore fans you would see a difference but as for the casual fans I would say its the other way around. Anyways what I am saying is that you could not possibly know what you just said as fact.

This is true, actually. A lot of anime fans actually don't mind dubs, they just aren't the type of people to come onto internet forums and talk about watching anime. They're the more "casual" fans if you will. The kind that only watch on tv or rent anime DVDs.
FloreteAug 2, 2010 3:49 PM
Aug 2, 2010 3:02 PM
Nov 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
I do agree buyers of North American distributed anime are minorities

Wrong way around kid. People who download fansubs are the minority, not those that buy official releases. The people who buy DVDs are of a much broader demographic, probably have a whole lot more money and other factors than the small percentage of moneyless teenagers who refuse to buy anime.
Aug 2, 2010 5:15 PM

Apr 2008
Onibokusu said:
Goodtimes420 said:
I do agree buyers of North American distributed anime are minorities

Wrong way around kid. People who download fansubs are the minority, not those that buy official releases. The people who buy DVDs are of a much broader demographic, probably have a whole lot more money and other factors than the small percentage of moneyless teenagers who refuse to buy anime.

Didn't mean to make seem like I know it's a fact, it's just what it seems like to me, maybe it's just in my neck of the woods, an anime store did a local survey at Sakura Con here in Seattle and 70% of their answers were watching online. But they only had a few hundred answered out all the people that came to Sakura Con. But I never meant to state as I know it as a fact, it just seems like dubs are less popular as their hard to find online as pirated media is based on popularity, the more popular it is the more downloads, seed, and the easier it is to fine. It seems that way anyway, the more it's in demand, the more popular it obviously is.

@Redfoxoffire - There may be some nuances in the many languages, but if you listen to that language for YEARS, and look up things you don't understand, ANYONE CAN LEARN TO UNDERSTAND THOSE DIFFERENCES. I'm not saying I'm an expert, far from it, but I can dam well judge the quality difference in english dub compared to Japanese voice acting in ANIME. Reaction, tone, emotions, to all kinds of situation in anime, and most of all the dubs I've seen fail compared to what Japanese voice acting has done with anime. Remember I'm talking about anime not in general at which language is better.

And again, I'm not saying that english dub is super horrible and it's not improving, all I'm saying its still NOT AS GOOD as the original, maybe if a company capable of hiring good voice actors would make the voice acting much better, but Funimation and similar companies are SMALL compared to other tv/movie companies.

Here is a list of only some of the dubs I tried to watch, I watched about 3-5 eps before i tried out the subs...

Escalfowne, Descendants of Darkness (Yami no Matsuei), Fushigi Yuugi, Earthian, Tokyo Revelation, Tokyo Babylon, Crest of the Stars, .hack//sign, Rurouni Kenshin OAVs, Perfect Blue, Love Hina, Those who Hunt Elves

But some of the english voice acting I did like, Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, and Cowboy Bebop, and DBZ.

In the end it is all about personal preference, but all I'm saying is that I'm not an asshole that will go against dubs because I'm supposedly use to subs. I would rather watch and LISTEN then to watch and READ, but bad voice acting just KILLS the characters for me, bad voice acting makes the character ANNOYING for me, that's why I always look for better voice acting.

Redfoxoffire when you search for english dub downloads/torrent do you add in english dub in the search? Because when I search I simply use the animes name, maybe add dvdrip or torrent in a google search, but most if not all the time, subs become the first links and the most used links and english dubs are rarely seen in these searches. But that's just what I see when I search only using the animes title.
DankEvergreenAug 2, 2010 5:19 PM
Aug 2, 2010 5:54 PM

Jun 2008
Goodtimes420 said:
@Redfoxoffire - There may be some nuances in the many languages, but if you listen to that language for YEARS, and look up things you don't understand, ANYONE CAN LEARN TO UNDERSTAND THOSE DIFFERENCES. I'm not saying I'm an expert, far from it, but I can dam well judge the quality difference in english dub compared to Japanese voice acting in ANIME. Reaction, tone, emotions, to all kinds of situation in anime, and most of all the dubs I've seen fail compared to what Japanese voice acting has done with anime. Remember I'm talking about anime not in general at which language is better.

Then, sorry if this offends you, but you're an idiot. You haven't told me you're fluent in Japanese so there's no way you can judge the quality of their voice acting. Emotion? Tone? Please. That shit's easy to do. Anyone can do it. If that was all it took to act, I could be an amazing voice actress.

Here is a list of only some of the dubs I tried to watch, I watched about 3-5 eps before i tried out the subs...

Escalfowne, Descendants of Darkness (Yami no Matsuei), Fushigi Yuugi, Earthian, Tokyo Revelation, Tokyo Babylon, Crest of the Stars, .hack//sign, Rurouni Kenshin OAVs, Perfect Blue, Love Hina, Those who Hunt Elves

As far as I can tell, those are mostly older things, and stuff from before ~2004 is usually pretty hit-or-miss. Of the ones I am familiar with:
RK OVAs: These were okay, but overall not too great.
Perfect Blue: Same as above. I also don't really like Bridget Hoffman's voice.
Love Hina: One of the worst dubs ever. Please don't judge today's dubs with this as an example.

In the end it is all about personal preference, but all I'm saying is that I'm not an asshole that will go against dubs because I'm supposedly use to subs.

If you really thought this you wouldn't be bashing dubs the way you are. You're right, it is all about personal preference. However, the rest of your arguments suggest you don't really believe that.

Redfoxoffire when you search for english dub downloads/torrent do you add in english dub in the search? Because when I search I simply use the animes name, maybe add dvdrip or torrent in a google search, but most if not all the time, subs become the first links and the most used links and english dubs are rarely seen in these searches. But that's just what I see when I search only using the animes title.

The site I use for most of my downloads has pretty clear options for dual audio, so I only have to type in the name. When I can't use that site I can usually find a dual audio torrent without typing "dual audio" without much hassle. Although for every time I do have to type in "dual audio," there's another time where I have to find out who the best subber is and type their name in instead.
Aug 2, 2010 6:39 PM

Apr 2008
I'm not fluent yet, but I've Japanese has been in my college course schedule for the last year, like I said I'm no expert in the language. But it doesn't matter if you know the language or not, you can tell when someone is angry, mad, sad, etc. If you don't understand what the person is saying then you just don't know what he's angry angry about. Same goes with voice acting, you act the anger the character is displaying, and I've seen dubs where the person was suppose to act out such an emotion and it sounded like he was just talking in a louder voice, no anger behind it at all. You don't need to understand a language to understand emotion, you just need to know the language on why he is angry. Again, I'm no expert, so if language is such an import aspect to display anger then please explain cause I can tell when someone is angry despite being able to understand what they say or not, same goes for other emotions. But I really want to understand what your trying to say on how I don't know how to properly judge voice acting.

Seriously, if someone is suppose to act angry and just sounds like their talking with a louder voice, that's OBVIOUSLY not good acting, and I've seen a lot of dubs like that in various situations and different emotions.

How would not saying my opinion about english dubs say that I'm not the type of person that like subs only because I'm use to them? How? I'm just simply saying that in my opinion that most anime english dubs don't sound as good as Japanese voice acting in anime. Never said english dubs are not improving, just simply said it's still not as good, they still have plenty of room to catch up with Japanese anime voice acting. Plus I could say the same thing about you, you like dubs cause your use to them, and if English if your 1st language there's possibly even more of favoritism. Along with your way of understanding Japanese to properly judge, voice acting, unless you know it fluently also, you can't say it's worse then dubs. But that don't matter cause understanding the language is understanding what he says, but anyone should be able to know the emotion the person is trying to display, especially with a animated character SHOWING the emotion also.

Most dual adios I see are OGM formats, and MKV, but when there's dual audio usually means it's a dvdrip from North American distributors, or that's what I assume anyway, and I only watch them if I have not choice, but it does give me the opportunity to try out both adios as curiosity usually drives me to trying it out, but in the end I rarely stick with it.
Aug 2, 2010 7:13 PM

Jun 2008
You obviously haven't gotten it, so I'll put it in big, bold letters for you:
THERE IS MORE TO ACTING THAN EMOTION.
By your context it would seem English is not even your first language, so you should know very well that different languages work in different ways. Sentences are structured differently, emphasis is put in different areas, stuff like that. How can you say you're able to judge an acting performance if you can't pick these things up? You can't.

Along with your way of understanding Japanese to properly judge, voice acting, unless you know it fluently also, you can't say it's worse then dubs.

Here's some homework for you: Find a place, anywhere in the entire internet, where I say English dubs as a whole > subs.

Unfortunately you are destined to fail. I've even said in this very topic that in most cases neither wins, it's up to preference. How is that? Because in English dubs, the acting is most often decent, if not very good. I can judge this because I am fluent in English. I don't know about how it is in Japanese, good or bad, so all I can really say is that most Japanese actors don't have awful-sounding voices (I have encountered some irritating ones, though).

(And hey, I've also taken a couple Japanese classes)
FloreteAug 2, 2010 7:27 PM
Aug 2, 2010 7:59 PM

Apr 2008
Sentences are structured differently, emphasis is put in different areas, stuff like that. How can you say you're able to judge an acting performance if you can't pick these things up?

LOL, I can pick those up, I DO KNOW THOSE THINGS, I've been studying Japanese in college for the past year, and English is my first language, you should learn to ask if I knew this then to assume I don't, makes you look like a prick. I didn't just take a few classes, I've been taking these classes for a LOOONG time, and very confident in my ability, but I still do have a lot to learn to become fluent, but I can't write pretty dam well in Kanji as I've had to write a few essays in kanji for the class. Plus I never said that acting out the emotion is everything to acting, but I'm saying if you can't even do that, then your not acting well enough to be considered better then the people who STARTED anime, how ignorant do you have to be, READ CAREFULLY before your post a reply, makes you look idiotic, as I've NEVER said that acting out emotion is ALL YOU HAVE TO DO TO ACT GOOD.

Also I'm taking Japanese classes to help my future career possibilities as I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, and Japan is one of the nations if not leading in technology, and compare to your "FEW" classes you took, I believe i know what I'm talking about compared to your dubs is better even though you know a LOT less about Japanese then I do. But I do agree that there are some annoying Japanese voices, I've ran into a few myself.
DankEvergreenAug 2, 2010 8:40 PM
Aug 2, 2010 9:16 PM

Jun 2008
Your entire previous post was focused almost exclusively on emotion, and before that you've pretty much denied my reasoning that there's more to acting than the small things you can pick up without knowing the language. Maybe you should be more sure of what you're actually saying before accusing me of not reading.

And a year studying Japanese is suddenly a LOOONG time? Laughable. Come back when you've been studying for 4 years.

LOL, I can pick those up, I DO KNOW THOSE THINGS, I've been studying Japanese in college for the past year, and English is my first language, you should learn to ask if I knew this then to assume I don't, makes you look like a prick.

And you now look like a retard because I was assuming you knew those things (I was guessing English was not your first language based on the context of your previous post, which leads me to believe you would be bilingual and know how different languages can be).

Also I'm taking Japanese classes to help my future career possibilities as I'm majoring in Computer Engineering, and Japan is one of the nations if not leading in technology, and compare to your "FEW" classes you took, I believe i know what I'm talking about compared to your dubs is better even though you know a LOT less about Japanese then I do.

God damn, I'm not even sure what you're trying to say here. Cut back on the Japanese classes and brush up on your English, eh? If you think I'm not understanding what you're saying it's because your grammar is so poor; maybe you are right that I've been missing your point on some of these things, but that's not my fault. I can read pretty well, but I'm no mind-reader, and you apparently don't want me assuming things.

By the way, I may or may not reply to you again since it's been made obvious I can't take you seriously.
Aug 2, 2010 9:33 PM

Apr 2008
Yes I agree my grammar is POOR, english has always been my worst subject, but a year of taking classes of Japanese is enough for me to understand about 80% of the language, I often watch raws for practice. Also I don't mean 9 months of your average school year in the states, I go all year round, and I've been studying Japanese for a total 13 months going on to 14 as I started in the summer term of last year in June.

But these classes also touch the subject of the different aspects of Japanese culture of multiple regions/provinces, and I understand a lot of the differences in the structure and emphasis between english and Japanese language.

And again, I never once said that voice acting is ALL about emotion, and I focus on it because it's one of the BIGGEST problems with english voice acting, they don't seem to know how to express the emotion displayed by anime, and if they can't even do that, and the Japanese can, its obvious who's better.

But I believe there are english voice actors capable of doing it, it's just with the low population of anime fans compared to Japan, North American distributors don't make NEARLY as much money as the Japan companies do, leading to lower quality actors. But with Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, I know there are english voice actors are capable, it's just companies like Funimation fail to hire good quality voice actors, instead they stick with alright to bad voice actors on the cheap.
DankEvergreenAug 2, 2010 9:37 PM
Aug 2, 2010 9:42 PM
Nov 2008
How can one understand more about another language than their own?

Translation is based upon the unification of two seperate languages.
Aug 2, 2010 9:50 PM

Apr 2008
Onibokusu said:
How can one understand more about another language than their own?

Translation is based upon the unification of two seperate languages.

I might never know full on 100% perfection as to someone having it has their 1st language, but learning how to speak it fluently, learning the differences and similarities in culture can tremendously close that gap and understand most if not almost all there is to know to fully understand the language. Plus I never said I knew more about Japanese then english, I'm just a few months to a half a year of closing that gap as much as possible and speaking it fluently.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

porkypink - Jan 13, 2010

233 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:35 AM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Rail_Tracer - Jan 6, 2010

310 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Sep 7, 2023 7:33 AM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

kerobear - Feb 17, 2010

180 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 29, 2023 8:12 PM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Proselyt - Feb 11, 2010

221 by FireRifle64 »»
Jul 29, 2023 4:17 PM

Poll: » Dance in the Vampire Bund Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ShanaFlame - Mar 31, 2010

169 by Tenshi_Budo »»
Jul 15, 2023 5:16 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.