Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 16, 2010 2:11 AM

Nov 2008
Hey, guess this is the right forum for this <.<.

Well it recently came to my attention that the Transformers TV series (the first series, back in the 80s), as well as the movie are both pretty much entirely (with the exception of animation) done by Americans. Directing, script, storyboard, character design. The only thing the Japanese studios had a part in was the animation directing and the actual animation.

I figure this is just like how Transformers the Animated Series is (with Studio 4°C doing some animation work), but we don't allow that (right?).

I just wanna know how this differs from the Rankin/Bass/Topcraft collaborations, and why we keep Transformers?

Maybe the fact that it was re-dubbed into Japanese puts it more towards a dual-intended audience. But still, any western TV series can get re-dubbed :

(My only source for the staff and stuff is Wikipedia and ANN, so take that how you will I guess.)

(Also this isn't really relevant, but I started looking into this when I was talking to a friend about anime-turned-live-action, and this was one gray area I wasn't too sure on. Because I had always considered Transformers to be an anime, so I was surprised when I saw the staff lists :)

Oh, and I dunno how this goes for all of the other Transformer series, like Beast Wars and stuff. But I would say those need some looking into as well.
Mar 19, 2010 4:38 AM

Feb 2008
I guess the short answer is: These were aired in Japan at some point. However, looking at the guidelines...
Anime DB Guidelines said:
What entries in anime database are allowed?
Professionally produced animation made in Japan for the Japanese market.
Professionally produced animation made in Korea or China for their respective markets.

This means the show must be created and released in Japan/Korea/China. Joint productions are allowed as long as the animation is not outsourced to the above countries with all other major work (directing, script, etc.) completed elsewhere.
Based on this, you'd be right and we have to delete them. On the other hand, this series spawned sequels and pretty much the entire franchise so it's "part of history" at this point; it's the glue that binds the entire franchise together. Not to mention the fact that the Transformers themselves are based on a Japanese line of toys.

As for the rest of the entries, we'll have to have a look; I think we forgot to take a look before the guidelines were published.
Mar 19, 2010 5:00 AM

Nov 2008
kuroshiroi said:
I guess the short answer is: These were aired in Japan at some point. However, looking at the guidelines...
Anime DB Guidelines said:
What entries in anime database are allowed?
Professionally produced animation made in Japan for the Japanese market.
Professionally produced animation made in Korea or China for their respective markets.

This means the show must be created and released in Japan/Korea/China. Joint productions are allowed as long as the animation is not outsourced to the above countries with all other major work (directing, script, etc.) completed elsewhere.
Based on this, you'd be right and we have to delete them. On the other hand, this series spawned sequels and pretty much the entire franchise so it's "part of history" at this point; it's the glue that binds the entire franchise together. Not to mention the fact that the Transformers themselves are based on a Japanese line of toys.

As for the rest of the entries, we'll have to have a look; I think we forgot to take a look before the guidelines were published.

Yeah it was based on Japanese toys. but only in the sense that they were things that changed form. The characterization was all Hasbro.

as far as this being a staple for the entire franchise, well maybe the entire franchise needs to be removed.

If we keep this, then I think we need to add Transformers the Animated Series :\
Mar 21, 2010 3:54 PM

Feb 2008
Wikipedia said:
The show's continuity is separate from any other previous Transformers series
Apparently this new series isn't really be connected to all the others so we could comfortably not add it :|

However, I'll discuss this situation with the other mods and something will be done, eventually.
May 24, 2010 3:04 PM
May 2010
wait a minute the toys were made in japan but the early toys were all base on westen car even ones from italy and etc i don't remeber thier been one based on a japanese car during the whole 4 series. although i do agree with pandadice but i also understand where they are coming from, becuase transfromers animeted has never been aired in japan they don't believe the anime should have a page on this site. but this just struck me if we bought a tv channel out in japan and started showing anime-infu anime on it, when they would if to consider giving them a page won't they?
Oct 23, 2010 8:17 AM
Jul 2018
THEN WHY THE HELL IS G1 LISTED AS ANIME

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8685 by Psychomorphosis »»
12 hours ago

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

681 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Apr 24, 7:33 AM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.