Forum Settings
Forums
#1
Oct 14, 2017 10:51 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
The main character in Tales of Earthsea is Ged. Thus the title should be "Ged Senki" instead of keeping katakana nonsense. Kill la Kill is not called "Kiru ra Kiru" in the database so this shouldn't have weird stuff in the name either.
 
#2
Oct 27, 2017 3:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2016
Posts: 1694
I agree. This is one of my favourite anime and I can't stand reading the title like this...



"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -


 
#3
Feb 17, 2018 4:20 PM
Offline
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 0
while we're at it change the cover. it's so misleading
 
 
#4
Feb 17, 2018 4:22 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 350
Maelstrom said:
while we're at it change the cover. it's so misleading


and on top of that we should recommend people to step outside into natural light for once too. Silly thing to get triggered over

slán abhaile corcaigh
Níl aon tinteán mar do thinteán féin

☘ ☘ ☘

Currently stealing your heart,
your women and also your job


 
#5
Feb 23, 2018 6:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
XavierSylfaen said:
The main character in Tales of Earthsea is Ged. Thus the title should be "Ged Senki" instead of keeping katakana nonsense. Kill la Kill is not called "Kiru ra Kiru" in the database so this shouldn't have weird stuff in the name either.

Kill la Kill is specified by the author to be written that way, but because of the limitations of katakana this can't be translate back into Japanese correctly. This is not the case the other way around, so your comparisons are flawed.
You want the database to be changed into something inaccurate would only make flaws in the database and don't confuse MAL with anything else, it is a database and therefore it should stick to original and accurate translations.
 
#6
Feb 23, 2018 7:00 AM
Offline
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 25055
this is not the random adding o or h you like English dies r=to Japanese name like say with Mutoh when it should be Muto
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
 
#7
Feb 24, 2018 4:58 PM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Ziirf said:
XavierSylfaen said:
The main character in Tales of Earthsea is Ged. Thus the title should be "Ged Senki" instead of keeping katakana nonsense. Kill la Kill is not called "Kiru ra Kiru" in the database so this shouldn't have weird stuff in the name either.

Kill la Kill is specified by the author to be written that way, but because of the limitations of katakana this can't be translate back into Japanese correctly. This is not the case the other way around, so your comparisons are flawed.
You want the database to be changed into something inaccurate would only make flaws in the database and don't confuse MAL with anything else, it is a database and therefore it should stick to original and accurate translations.


"Ged" is specified by the author to be written that way, it was not originally "Gedo". It is not a flawed comparison because this is not an original work that named it "Gedo". There is no translation involved, as it is it is a mis-romanization to have it be "Gedo" to begin with. Please do not speak condescendingly without understanding the topic at hand.

An example of correct romanization in the database: https://myanimelist.net/anime/283/Akage_no_Anne

If it were done the same way as "Gedo Senki", this would be "Akage no An". But that would be ridiculous since, of course, the main character's name is Anne, so "Akage no Anne" is correct. Just as "Ged Senki", with no "o", is correct and should be the title in the DB.

Frankly I'd rather have it just be Tales from Earthsea and be done with it but if we are insisting on Japanese titles the correct romanization is Ged Senki.
Modified by XavierSylfaen, Feb 24, 2018 5:01 PM
 
 
#8
Feb 25, 2018 1:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
XavierSylfaen said:
Ziirf said:

Kill la Kill is specified by the author to be written that way, but because of the limitations of katakana this can't be translate back into Japanese correctly. This is not the case the other way around, so your comparisons are flawed.
You want the database to be changed into something inaccurate would only make flaws in the database and don't confuse MAL with anything else, it is a database and therefore it should stick to original and accurate translations.


"Ged" is specified by the author to be written that way, it was not originally "Gedo". It is not a flawed comparison because this is not an original work that named it "Gedo". There is no translation involved, as it is it is a mis-romanization to have it be "Gedo" to begin with. Please do not speak condescendingly without understanding the topic at hand.

An example of correct romanization in the database: https://myanimelist.net/anime/283/Akage_no_Anne

If it were done the same way as "Gedo Senki", this would be "Akage no An". But that would be ridiculous since, of course, the main character's name is Anne, so "Akage no Anne" is correct. Just as "Ged Senki", with no "o", is correct and should be the title in the DB.

Frankly I'd rather have it just be Tales from Earthsea and be done with it but if we are insisting on Japanese titles the correct romanization is Ged Senki.


I am well aware of the topic at hand, and i do know that even in the Japanese version his name is Ged. The problem isn't that your suggestion isn't accurate. it is that a database can't and shouldn't change the original name. THIS is its given name, be it correct or not. That is up to Studio Ghibli to decide, not MAL. However they could add the "Ged Senki" to synonyms.

Now displaying the english title is another matter, though it is rarely done it wouldn't go against what i am trying to tell you. which is that a Database shouldn't change original names. but since that is an original translation it wouldn't go against what MAL is.
 
#9
Feb 25, 2018 2:27 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Ziirf said:
XavierSylfaen said:


"Ged" is specified by the author to be written that way, it was not originally "Gedo". It is not a flawed comparison because this is not an original work that named it "Gedo". There is no translation involved, as it is it is a mis-romanization to have it be "Gedo" to begin with. Please do not speak condescendingly without understanding the topic at hand.

An example of correct romanization in the database: https://myanimelist.net/anime/283/Akage_no_Anne

If it were done the same way as "Gedo Senki", this would be "Akage no An". But that would be ridiculous since, of course, the main character's name is Anne, so "Akage no Anne" is correct. Just as "Ged Senki", with no "o", is correct and should be the title in the DB.

Frankly I'd rather have it just be Tales from Earthsea and be done with it but if we are insisting on Japanese titles the correct romanization is Ged Senki.


I am well aware of the topic at hand, and i do know that even in the Japanese version his name is Ged. The problem isn't that your suggestion isn't accurate. it is that a database can't and shouldn't change the original name. THIS is its given name, be it correct or not. That is up to Studio Ghibli to decide, not MAL. However they could add the "Ged Senki" to synonyms.

Now displaying the english title is another matter, though it is rarely done it wouldn't go against what i am trying to tell you. which is that a Database shouldn't change original names. but since that is an original translation it wouldn't go against what MAL is.


>even in the Japanese version his name is Ged
>THIS [Gedo] is its given name, be it correct or not

Which is it?

I believe this case is wholly analogous to Akage no Anne. Both are anime adaptations of western novels in which main characters' names were used in the titles, then altered in the Japanese titles to be able to be spelled in katakana, then re-romanized for MAL's database. Just in Anne's case it was done correctly and here incorrectly.

So which is it? Do you change this to Ged Senki, or change Akage no Anne to Akage no An? You have to pick one or the other to be consistent.
 
Feb 25, 2018 3:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
It is hard to explain if you don't get it by now. Ged the written name is most likely kept that way so you can compare it to the adapted works, but it is still pronounced "Gedo/ゲド" in Japanese. So instead of linking the name with the title you should see them as different entities.
The title "Gedo Senki/ゲド戦記" is written as it is pronounced, so if you were to look for the title knowing how it is pronounced you will find it. Watching the movie you will not know his name is Ged since it is pronounced Gedo. So unless you know this specific information you wouldn't know the romanized title.

If you google Akage no An you can see this being the case, because some write it how it is pronounced or written in Katakana and some write it with the romanized title. THIS is more inconsistent.

But it is up to the studio to decide on how it is written in any given way, even the full translation. - That is how we end up with titles in English like "Attack on Titan" which doesn't make any sense, that was a choice made by the Japanese author.
 
 
Feb 25, 2018 3:36 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19


So you are saying that because "An" sounds closer to "Anne" than "Gedo" does to "Ged" it's fine the way it is? Well, I disagree but whatever.

>it is up to the studio to decide on how it is written in any given way, even the full translation.
I think the disconnect here is that you interpret Studio Ghibli naming it "ゲド戦記" as them officially naming it "Gedo". But I think this is merely due to katakana limitations and if you asked them how they would spell it out in English then they'd tell you "Ged Senki" since the main character is named Ged. This same protocol (of changing katakana back to proper English) is followed for various other entries on MAL, my problem is that this one seems to be an exception.
 
Feb 25, 2018 3:43 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
XavierSylfaen said:


So you are saying that because "An" sounds closer to "Anne" than "Gedo" does to "Ged" it's fine the way it is? Well, I disagree but whatever.

>it is up to the studio to decide on how it is written in any given way, even the full translation.
I think the disconnect here is that you interpret Studio Ghibli naming it "ゲド戦記" as them officially naming it "Gedo". But I think this is merely due to katakana limitations and if you asked them how they would spell it out in English then they'd tell you "Ged Senki" since the main character is named Ged. This same protocol (of changing katakana back to proper English) is followed for various other entries on MAL, my problem is that this one seems to be an exception.


That isn't what i said...
The author chooses how it is written, MAL takes that info unedited. Studio Ghibli picked "Gedo Senki". Nippon Animation choose "Akage no Anne". MAL doesn't change the information, as a database is supposed to operate.
 
Feb 25, 2018 3:50 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Ziirf said:
Studio Ghibli picked "Gedo Senki".


Are you sure about this? I am more inclined to believe that Studio Ghibli only wrote the title "ゲド戦記" and MAL picked the romanization "Gedo Senki". If indeed "Gedo Senki" is the official romanization, as dictated by Studio Ghibli, then I'd concede the point here.
 
Feb 25, 2018 4:21 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
XavierSylfaen said:
Ziirf said:
Studio Ghibli picked "Gedo Senki".


Are you sure about this? I am more inclined to believe that Studio Ghibli only wrote the title "ゲド戦記" and MAL picked the romanization "Gedo Senki". If indeed "Gedo Senki" is the official romanization, as dictated by Studio Ghibli, then I'd concede the point here.


Without any specifications from the author it should be directly translated anyways. But you should ask Studio Ghibli if you really want to change the romanized version of the name.
 
Feb 25, 2018 7:23 AM
Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19
Ziirf said:
XavierSylfaen said:


Are you sure about this? I am more inclined to believe that Studio Ghibli only wrote the title "ゲド戦記" and MAL picked the romanization "Gedo Senki". If indeed "Gedo Senki" is the official romanization, as dictated by Studio Ghibli, then I'd concede the point here.


Without any specifications from the author it should be directly translated anyways. But you should ask Studio Ghibli if you really want to change the romanized version of the name.


>Without any specifications from the author it should be directly translated anyways.

I suppose we must disagree fundamentally. Without specification from the author all katakana-morphed words should be reverted to their original spelling, i.e. Akage no Anne, Ged Senki, etc.

>But you should ask Studio Ghibli if you really want to change the romanized version of the name.

Again - if you can show me proof that Studio Ghibli "chose" this as the romanized name, I'll concede, but this is just supposition. I think it fairly unlikely.
 
Feb 25, 2018 8:09 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 66
XavierSylfaen said:
Ziirf said:


Without any specifications from the author it should be directly translated anyways. But you should ask Studio Ghibli if you really want to change the romanized version of the name.


>Without any specifications from the author it should be directly translated anyways.

I suppose we must disagree fundamentally. Without specification from the author all katakana-morphed words should be reverted to their original spelling, i.e. Akage no Anne, Ged Senki, etc.

>But you should ask Studio Ghibli if you really want to change the romanized version of the name.

Again - if you can show me proof that Studio Ghibli "chose" this as the romanized name, I'll concede, but this is just supposition. I think it fairly unlikely.


I am not trying to argue with you. I am telling you how databases generally work, no matter how anyone think or feel about it. A database is supposed to contain information which is easily searchable, so unless those titles are generally common knowledge, which this one is not. Then they will use the information which is more accurate, in this case both the title is pronounced "Gedo Senki" and written "Gedo Senki". Unless you read the books or seen the character roaster you wont know the characters name is Ged and not Gedo.
With that information MAL is accurate to use the title Gedo Senki.

And let me make this very clear, i am not trying to tell you if your opinion is wrong or not. I am trying to explain to you how a database handles data and if you want to change the title on the database you should get the information from the source saying that they have it wrong.
*Edit* But I will not pursue this any further as misunderstood my intend, for all it is worth I do not care one way or the other so I guess i will wish you good luck with your petition.
Modified by Ziirf, Feb 25, 2018 9:13 AM
 
Oct 16, 2018 4:31 AM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 21
Listen mate, Anne is correct japanese katakana that CAN be written in katakana アンネ " A N NE BUT Ged can not be written in katakana without the o, thus GED becomes GEDO ゲド GE DO. The o is silent but its still there. You saying it shouldn't have the o is like saying we should alter my brother Eugene's name to be spelled Eugen because the E is silent.
 
Dec 21, 2018 4:43 PM
Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 26
To make this correct now. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Wizard_of_Earthsea
This is one of the books where Ged is in it. And he is written Ged. So this should be called "Ged Senki" because that's how is name is written. As many before me already wrote "Gedo" is just how you would read and say his name when talking in Japanese.