Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2017 5:41 PM
Sep 2017
I recently started a Manga collection, I found that the visual essence of Manga can be very soothing and appealing. I've also always really like the vibes of bookstores and sorts.
However, I found that buying Manga can be fairly pricey, I recently spent about $30+ on 3 volumes of My Hero Academia. I was wondering where do you guys usually buy your manga and what tips could you give me?

tl;dr

where yall be getting manga for the cheap prices???

Sep 10, 2017 6:29 PM

Jun 2017
Amazon if you have Prime. They throw random 10-30% sales on some manga.
It's best to keep them in the kart if you think you're going to buy them when they release. That way you keep the lowest price. They also have several sellers that will sell the manga really really cheap if you don't mind used manga.
other than that, most sites have them for the usual 9-12 dollars a volume
Sep 10, 2017 8:45 PM

Jun 2016
Rightstuf is consistently the cheapest site to buy manga. BookDepository is also not bad.
Sep 11, 2017 3:36 PM

Mar 2015
There's Wordery and Book Depository. I mainly use them for pre-orders. Higher prices but FREE shipping.

I also use Amazon UK since I live in eastern Europe.

I got the first volume of Zaregoto from eBay. (the Del Rey release)

As for any tips... The more you use a site, the more you'll notice how low book prices can go before release.
Sep 13, 2017 6:13 AM

Mar 2012
Mangas aren't sold in my country except for the popular ones. I've bought all the manga I currently have from CDJapan and it really was expensive. The manga turned out to be utter garbage in the end, I haven't found a new series that would get me interested to the point of buying so I haven't bought any since then.
Sep 16, 2017 6:16 AM

Oct 2016
I sometimes buy them in stores just to support my local book store/comic store, but when I don't I buy them of bookdepository.com. They recently raised their prices by €1.50-2, but it's still cheaper than in a store. For example, I bought each of my bnha vols for a 5.50-7.50, while I would pay €9 at my book store.
Sep 23, 2017 11:18 AM

Jun 2015
I buy them in the manganime stores of my city. You can see my collection on my profile.
Sep 24, 2017 7:26 PM
Sep 2017
You can buy them on some websites like Amazon, and in general there will be second-hand manga books for sale...
Sep 25, 2017 4:29 AM

Oct 2016
I buy them in Kinokuniya before I discovered Rightstuf.

But I suggest you check out Rightstuf since they have discounts and promos plus free shipping if you live in US (you guys are so lucky. T_T). If not you can always check in ebay. Some of the hard to find mangas, I look for them in ebay.

I hope that helps.^^
Sep 25, 2017 6:37 AM
Jul 2007
I started as a collector and ended as a selector. Collecting manga is expensive, takes a lot of space and requires patience and perseverance, and I think the crucial thing is to be aware of your possibilities from the start and demarcate your interests within them. When I got interested in lesser known manga and comics from other countries collecting long series became unsustainable, and I realised I would be happier selecting from a wide variety than collecting within a narrow one.
Sep 25, 2017 8:12 PM

Nov 2011
xiashenghan said:

But I suggest you check out Rightstuf since they have discounts and promos plus free shipping if you live in US (you guys are so lucky. T_T). If not you can always check in ebay. Some of the hard to find mangas, I look for them in ebay.

I hope that helps.^^

too bad Right Stuff doesn't carry originals (raws). as for blurays, Amazon is king.
well...almost. you can get the series for a dollar or two cheaper if you buy directly from sentai shop

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 25, 2017 11:03 PM

Oct 2016
DreamingBeats said:
xiashenghan said:

I hope that helps.^^

too bad Right Stuff doesn't carry originals (raws). as for blurays, Amazon is king.
well...almost. you can get the series for a dollar or two cheaper if you buy directly from sentai shop

I buy the raw mangas from Kinokuniya since the price is acceptable and it'll be much expensive if I buy it from CDJapan though the selection now are not that great since they downgraded their shop which is a shame.
Sep 25, 2017 11:47 PM

Nov 2011
xiashenghan said:
DreamingBeats said:

I buy the raw mangas from Kinokuniya since the price is acceptable and it'll be much expensive if I buy it from CDJapan though the selection now are not that great since they downgraded their shop which is a shame.

Amazon Japan is a tad bit cheaper if you buy at least 3 or so books...but Kinokuniya allows you to browse the vast selection and actually see the manga volumes in person. they don't seem to carry much LN in store, which i guess is understandable. Amazon Japan would actually be amazing for manga if they let people buy used ones sold in sets. I once saw the entire volume - or almost all the volumes of a few manga series for a very agreeable price. I would buy them if i could - but sadly, it's "region-locked" - meaning, you can only buy used Japanese manga from Amazon Japan if you live in Japan.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Sep 26, 2017 12:22 AM

Oct 2016
DreamingBeats said:
xiashenghan said:

Amazon Japan is a tad bit cheaper if you buy at least 3 or so books...but Kinokuniya allows you to browse the vast selection and actually see the manga volumes in person. they don't seem to carry much LN in store, which i guess is understandable. Amazon Japan would actually be amazing for manga if they let people buy used ones sold in sets. I once saw the entire volume - or almost all the volumes of a few manga series for a very agreeable price. I would buy them if i could - but sadly, it's "region-locked" - meaning, you can only buy used Japanese manga from Amazon Japan if you live in Japan.

My side of Kinokuniya doesn't have a vast collection and isn't that updated. Volume releases are either delayed by a month or two which totally sucks since you really can't get updated and well they're somehow missing a volume or two of the series they have.

Oh that sucks. Why does it have to be "region-locked"?
Sep 26, 2017 6:30 AM

Jun 2012
For newer series like BnHA your pretty much going to be stuck paying the retail on them, since no one is really going to be buying and selling them.

For older series though I sometimes find collections on ebay for really cheap (people selling off their old manga collections and stuff). I also visit local flee markets / thrift stores and go through their book collections. A lot of people just donate a lot of their books and magazines to thrift stores when they don't need them anymore, so sometimes you can get lucky and find manga there. Earlier in the year I bought like 10 volumes of bleach for about $20. It was missing some volumes in between (went like vol 1-6 then 10-13 or something, someones probably went in before me and got the ones in between).

So yeah used books can be really cheap and a good way to get a big collection without dishing out hundreds of dollars. Your just not going to be finding new series second hand very easily.
Sep 27, 2017 4:25 PM

Dec 2012
95% of my manga comes from:

https://www.rightstufanime.com/

The rest comes from Amazon (usually ebooks for my Amazon Fire tablet)

I collect manga too, though not as much as my anime collection. I own:

"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

378 by Hexcellion »»
9 hours ago

» From all the ongoing (and on hiatus) manga, you can choose only one to eventually reach a conclusion. Which one would it be?

Caciulacdlac - Apr 10

5 by nishant0 »»
12 hours ago

» Most obscure titles in your list.

Otakupervert890 - Feb 24

21 by nishant0 »»
12 hours ago

» Do you guys pick up completed axed manga.

zkl_ - Feb 28

13 by bucciest »»
Yesterday, 11:27 PM

Poll: » What is your favorite shounen arc?

HM0710 - Sep 6, 2021

17 by Rhaelynne »»
Yesterday, 9:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.