Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 3, 2017 11:39 AM

Dec 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
What a great final episode ! Light and simple but also very emotional

5/5 even if I don't like the conclusion.

While some would argue that the series was unnecessary lengthy, this worked in its favour. The romance while never seemingly at the center of the episodes progressed little by little without being overtly heavy (almost like some animal documentary, I would say) and never seemed arbitrarily stucked or moved forward. I admit one or two baseball centric episodes looked like they were filling the air time, but it's really a little thing on 48 episodes. The characters being all pretty endearing was a certain bonus.
The drawings weren't reaching the cuteness of the manga's lines but were good for the TV screen with their roundness. The music was great and the voices charming and/or distinguishable (adding character to the characters).

I am also really wondering how Kasumi earned the title of worst romcom heroine I often heard about.

Score: 9/10 The best teenagers/highschool romance I saw.

May 23, 2020
Siva said:
This episode solved everything.
With what we have now, we already got all the answers we need.

Thanks.

Siva said:
They could go on to finish the story in a much better place but given the Author's signature of ending his story, having 10 more episodes of development wouldn't get you really far from the ending you got here.

I'm not sure if you have read the manga but the three books stop way earlier than that. You have the mountain "stuck" episode, you have almost no base-ball, and you don't have "pretty man" Katsuhiko in person (or only for a very short time, not sure anymore). To quote myself:
What a non-conclusive final chapter is this thing?! This looks like a canceled series.
Pleasant but very anecdotical comedic slice of lice. The romance is even more low-key than in the adaptation, and the comedy strikes too strong toward the non-ending.

This whole series has little to do with it, I guess it tried to emulate other works of Adachi.

@Siva Oh, indeed. ^^" My bad.

March 13, 2022
@0451 Yes, the baseball was purely filling air time. I think they expanded it (more than everything else was expanded) from the manga mainly because it was made in the wake of Touch's success. (As for the real time aspect, that might come from it being the same slot as "Orange Road", not sure anymore if it was accompanying it or came after.)

About Kasumi: this was the thing that was constantly coming back when I was a child and we were discussing TV during recesses. And that's one of the things that remains in mind when you ask about the show to the rare people that still remember it today. O course, there were people who liked both the series and its heroine (me? Neither, back then.)
No idea how it was / is outside France.

February 1st, 2023
@FlamingMangos The baseball stuff was expanded (largely) for the sake of filling the one year duration of the series (based on a very short manga wich felt very "unfinished"). The decision was probably taken based on the success of the Touch anime.
Rei_IIIFeb 1, 2023 12:22 PM
Feb 3, 2018 4:44 AM

Jan 2015
A great series. I had been rooting for Mikimoto to get with Keiko so it's unfortunate that didn't happen.

I was getting angry with Kasumi and actually yelled "oh!" when Keiko slapped her.
Nov 27, 2019 2:26 PM

Apr 2014
Just finished the series and sadly, I'm really disappointed at the ending as it felt really rushed without any idea of how to finish it, so they went with the "I don't want yo to go" scenario where the guy didn't even actually confess to the main heroine. Sorry, but through 48 episodes we got a really slow-paced story with a love triangle where everyone were so slow with their feelings, especially Kasumi, that it hurt sometimes to the point where I was shaking my head and said out loud "How could you all be so dense!". The Shin-Keiko-Ariyama triangle didn't work out either...
May 20, 2020 8:11 PM

Oct 2007
"There are some thing you don't learn until you are slapped" Hikari Amamiya

I guess one slap wasn't enough.

ChloeVonEinzbern said:
Just finished the series and sadly, I'm really disappointed at the ending as it felt really rushed without any idea of how to finish it, so they went with the "I don't want yo to go" scenario where the guy didn't even actually confess to the main heroine. Sorry, but through 48 episodes we got a really slow-paced story with a love triangle where everyone were so slow with their feelings, especially Kasumi, that it hurt sometimes to the point where I was shaking my head and said out loud "How could you all be so dense!". The Shin-Keiko-Ariyama triangle didn't work out either...
They could go on to finish the story in a much better place but given the Author's signature of ending his story, having 10 more episodes of development wouldn't get you really far from this ending you got here. But even with what we have now we already got all the answers we need. Keiko never loves those 2 as a man she only likes them as best friend. As for Kasumi, by now it is pretty damn clear to us that she loves Takasugi and not Katsuhiko. The only problem she has is that she can not deny the feeling of Katsuhiko having for her, and while Takasugi do show that he care for her but he never expressed it to her face. She simply got stuck and this episode solved everything.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
May 22, 2020 2:12 PM

Oct 2007
Rei_III said:
Siva said:
This episode solved everything.
With what we have now, we already got all the answers we need.

Thanks.

Siva said:
They could go on to finish the story in a much better place but given the Author's signature of ending his story, having 10 more episodes of development wouldn't get you really far from the ending you got here.

I'm not sure if you have read the manga but the three books stop way earlier than that. You have the mountain "stuck" episode, you have almost no base-ball, and you don't have "pretty man" Katsuhiko in person (or only for a very short time, not sure anymore). To quote myself:
What a non-conclusive final chapter is this thing?! This looks like a canceled series.
Pleasant but very anecdotical comedic slice of lice. The romance is even more low-key than in the adaptation, and the comedy strikes too strong toward the non-ending.

This whole series has little to do with it, I guess it tried to emulate other works of Adachi.

You should have made a new post when you quoted me instead of editing your old post it is rather confusing. :D

What I mean when I said the above is that Adachi tend to end his manga this way. He gave you all the answer you need to sleep at night and end his story with "Life go on" ending.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jun 22, 2020 7:05 AM
Dec 2018
all you had to do is follow the damn train katsuhiko
Mar 11, 2022 1:13 AM

Jan 2018
Oh boy, it feels good to end this series and I'm very pleased with this ending.

Kasumi was being a bitch and the bitchslap she got from Keiko was well-deserved.

Katsuhiko really took the L for Kasumi's wellbeing. I still find him mysterious. How is he so confident that she'll be happier with Takasugi? I liked that he got more screentime than what I initially thought but I feel as if he needed a lot more. I would've liked to see some flashbacks of when he first met Kasumi and how she was like before she changed. Not necessary scenes but it would've made me able to root for him a bit more.

I liked that the Mikimoto-Keiko-Ariyama triangle was left open. The conclusion is better off not being shown.

About the series as a whole, I think it's very good but it has some flaws. The baseball parts felt like pure filler and they went nowhere. The characters themselves didn't have a strong connection to this sport like in other Adachi Mitsuru works so it wasn't satisfying to watch them play. One good thing I can say about it is that the animation was better than it was in Touch but that's obvious. The show would've been better off without it even if it ended up being shorter.

The show has 48 episodes which mean it aired over the course of (nearly) a year. The show itself takes place for over a year. Kasumi arrived on a train in the same clothes she's departing in and also met Takasugi in. It's poetic and that's why I liked this ending a lot.

One thing that bothered me about this series which is probably unrelated to the show's quality is the sound effects. I watched the remastered version (not DVD rip) but the audio seems to be not remastered. It has that 80's jank in sound mixing or music or whatever which makes it more difficult for me to recommend it to people who don't normally watch retro stuff. This issue will probably seem more apparent using headphones which is how I watch anime nowadays. I don't remember this being an issue in Touch. And other remasters like Kimagure Orange Road and Maison Ikkoku had clean audio. I think the OST is excellent though (but not as good as Touch's). Like I said this is more of a technical issue and it doesn't make the actual show worse but it hampers the viewing experience which is a shame.

Next, I'll watch the movie. I have no idea what it is about but I read somewhere along the lines that it's some sort of an alternate version? Is it an alternate version as in it's the same ending as the series just animated differently with some new scenes or is it something completely different? I'm hoping it's some sort of a sequel. Though I think the ending of the anime was already perfect and didn't need any major extension. What I WOULDN'T want it to be is another summary/compilation film retelling the story from episodes 1-48 even if it features a slightly different ending.

After that, I'll probably read the manga. Thankfully it seems to be fully translated to English. It's also so short that there's no reason to not read it. I'd like to see just how much it differs from the anime adaption which came years later.

Overall, I enjoyed Hiatari Ryoukou! very much. It's not as good as other Adachi Mitsuru works but it doesn't need to be. It's very worth watching. I think it should be more popular now that it's fully translated.
Rei_III said:
I am also really wondering how Kasumi earned the title of worst romcom heroine I often heard about.

Score: 9/10 The best teenagers/highschool romance I saw.
Really? Where does she have this sort of reputation? I think she's easily one of the best tsundere type characters I watched till now as her actions actually make sense for her age unlike so many characters you see in shows nowadays. I can understand why some people might find her annoying (like all tsundere characters) but no way is she the "worst".
0451Mar 11, 2022 4:56 AM
Aug 9, 2022 10:29 PM
Feb 2021
The way the ending was wrapped up felt like they were in a rush. Katusuhiko almost was like a chaperone to Yusake. I think the way Kasumi's character reacted was realistic and three-dimensional. I also loved the last few chapters situations that reflected the her main indecision.
Aug 9, 2022 10:33 PM
Feb 2021
Bushido99 said:
all you had to do is follow the damn train katsuhiko
haha right? He was almost like a chaperone to those two.
Jan 26, 2023 8:37 PM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed it a lot overall but I really wish they didn't have baseball in this anime as it felt unnecessary and just simply rushed. Does Adachi really need baseball in every single work? I enjoyed the non baseball episodes so much more. The ending wasn't as satisfying as I liked it to be. If I compare it to the cave scene during the blizzard incident, the train scene just really lack the same impact. Kasumi's confession was great and they nailed the intimacy between the two. Yusaku's confession on the other hand felt very lacking and unsatisfying for someone who was bottling their feelings for so long. Why couldn't we see him confess his full feelings in such a important moment? That scene could've easily been saved if we had an epilogue. Say for example, we get to see them walking back home holding hands, and we get to see everyone welcoming them back, and then just a short montage of everyone's lives afterwards.

Some last thoughts, I truly find other Adachi works like Touch and Cross game to be more satisfying in the romance department despite them being more focused on baseball but, I still appreciate what Hiatari Ryoukou had to offer. Although it had baseball, it was different enough to stand out from Adachi's other works and I still would give it a 10/10 for my enjoyment despite my disappointment with the ending. The characters was truly the best thing in this series, as their chemistry with one another was very enjoyable. I still couldn't get over my mixed feelings regarding Kasumi's boyfriend just practically encouraging Yusake to cuck him...
FlamingMangosJan 26, 2023 9:09 PM

More topics from this board

» Episode Titles

Nekoweazle - Oct 10, 2023

0 by Nekoweazle »»
Oct 10, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Hiatari Ryoukou! Episode 22 Discussion

animefan8800 - Jan 4, 2016

4 by WizardOfOss »»
Aug 23, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Hiatari Ryoukou! Episode 1 Discussion

Danshikun - Nov 9, 2011

6 by SnowxFlower »»
Mar 26, 2023 11:54 PM

Poll: » Hiatari Ryoukou! Episode 18 Discussion

animefan8800 - Jan 1, 2016

4 by AfifP »»
Feb 14, 2023 11:51 PM

Poll: » Hiatari Ryoukou! Episode 36 Discussion

Rei_III - Jun 27, 2017

2 by FlamingMangos »»
Jan 25, 2023 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.