Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 21, 2017 1:35 PM
Feb 2017
OK the no emotions rule makes no sense to me because if the arbiters really had no emotions then a lot of things in this show should've been impossible. First off, without emotions Nona wouldn't have the curiosity to create an arbiter without emotions. Also, Ginti wouldn't have always gotten so annoyed over legit everything. And Quin wouldn't have been up excited when Nona brought her alcohol to bribe her into helping. Lastly, Oculus wouldn't have been bothered by Nona always winning at billiards and wouldn't have been upset when she went off to do her work. Without emotions none of the arbiters would have any sort of personality. And don't give me the Kingdom Hearts "It's a ruse to get you to trust them" explanation because that would make sense in front of the guests but pointless in front of other arbiters.

Also, what exactly was going on with Mayu. Why didn't she get judged right away? Why did Ginti keep her, even though it was obvious he didn't want her there (but again, he shouldn't care, because EMOTIONS)? Also what was with the Harada dummy? Was that just a ploy to get rid of her or was somehow Harada's body lying around somewhere too?
Jun 26, 2017 1:02 PM

Sep 2009
LAPX said:
OK the no emotions rule makes no sense to me because if the arbiters really had no emotions then a lot of things in this show should've been impossible.

Ok so i know you posted this a while ago, but i've only just got round to watching this series (and it was AMAZING btw!), but yeah the no emotions thing bothered me loads too!
If they had no emotions, why was Ginti so angry all the time was my main gripe.

But yeah, almost everything you mentioned in the original post were questions i was asking too. I'm hoping things will be clarified in the 2nd season, since Madhouse have stated that a 2nd season is definitely being made :D
Apr 3, 2018 5:03 AM

Jan 2008
For the no emotion thing, there is only one thing I could think of. If you compare this sort of thing to a court of Law, then when the judge is ruling out a verdict they can't really "put their emotion" into it (though, I'm sure they do). They're meant to decide in a fair and emotionless way.

So the arbiters, could fall into the same type of trope. They have emotions but they're not allowed to "act" upon them when making judgements. This way it keeps things fair.

As for everything else, I have no freaking idea.
Mar 17, 2019 1:42 PM
Jul 2018
Yup, the emotions were just hilarious. xD Decim, the only arbiter who was supposed to have feels, seemed autistic until the very last episode, while his 'emotionless' colleagues behaved like regular humans since minute 1.

Imho Mayu was supposed to be sent to the void, but since she proved willing to sacrifice her life for that idol of hers, she was given one more chance to redeem herself, at which she failed, 'cause she turned out to be selfish enough to send a complete stranger to eternal suffering. I don't really agree with that judgement, but that's unfortunately beside the point.
Mar 27, 2019 9:03 PM

Feb 2019
Maybe the emotionless rule is about how the arbiters shouldn't be burdened by their emotions when doing their job? I don't know. If this isn't the case then the actions that some of the characters did really wouldn't make sense.
Aug 30, 2019 2:08 AM

Apr 2017
TheRailTracerMAL said:
Maybe the emotionless rule is about how the arbiters shouldn't be burdened by their emotions when doing their job?

I think that is the case. Arbiters can get emotional all they want outside their job but must not let emotions get in the way of their final call e.g. they must not send someone to be reincarnated because they got attached to them or felt pity for them, and must not send someone to the void out of revenge.

As for Mayu, I think it's half Ginti not knowing what to do with her, and half him being curious about having a "pet" around, like Decim.
Sep 15, 2019 10:21 AM
Jan 2014
AncestralSpirit said:

But yeah, almost everything you mentioned in the original post were questions i was asking too. I'm hoping things will be clarified in the 2nd season, since Madhouse have stated that a 2nd season is definitely being made :D

Still waiting for anything new to be announced :c
Sep 23, 2019 1:31 AM

Jan 2019
pandemonium91 said:
TheRailTracerMAL said:
Maybe the emotionless rule is about how the arbiters shouldn't be burdened by their emotions when doing their job?

I think that is the case. Arbiters can get emotional all they want outside their job but must not let emotions get in the way of their final call e.g. they must not send someone to be reincarnated because they got attached to them or felt pity for them, and must not send someone to the void out of revenge.

As for Mayu, I think it's half Ginti not knowing what to do with her, and half him being curious about having a "pet" around, like Decim.

That's what i wanted to say when i saw this threat but i saw your comment <3
Ushiromiya Battler, right now, on this island, no one exists except for you. You're the only one alive in this island. However I'm here right now, and i'm about to kill you. Who... am I?
Sep 29, 2019 5:08 PM
Mar 2019
I think by "emotions", they meant "feelings".
All the arbiters possess emotions -- Ginti, Nona, even Decim, to some extent. But what makes the two former different from the latter is that Decim is able to develop feelings for others -- aka, sympathy for the dead.
-
https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/the/japanese-word-for-a1faba8ba889571dcd30c027fe9d81dd1fa805dc.html

[感情 Kanjō : emotion, feelings, sentiment]
--
I've never studied Japanese, and I didn't watch this subbed. But my best guess is that the authors' intentions may have gotten lost in translation. Maybe the translators thought thought the term "feelings" might lead people to mistake it for a romance? :D

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
10 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
45 minutes ago

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 9, 2015

840 by sxrpente »»
Apr 23, 11:30 AM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.