Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jun 3, 2017 3:57 PM

Sep 2010
pharali said:
War_lothar said:
The history of this anime is lacking, 90% is only the cool guy and they talk about how cool and awesome the cool guy is. The first ten minutes were promising i thought that it was about the pro gaming world, but apart from talking about how high the apm is, and some words about the gaming world, i don't think that it has a decent plot.

I think that this anime is just a promo for the game glory which is the top tencent mobile game from china. I don't think that it is horrible, it is an average anime, but for sure that it hasn't a great history or characters. It is a little similar to lu's time which is a league of legends chinese anime but lu's time is more goofy and sometimes funny.

It's ok, but if you are pnly going to watch it because it has a high rating, you are probably getting dissapointed, more if you don't even like esports.

Well, actually there is no such mobile game or PC game called glory(荣耀) in China, and the top tencent mobile game (I guess you are talking about WangZheRongYao 王者荣耀)has nothing similar to glory or the king's avatar except the name. They are totally different projects, different IPs in China. Sometimes some Chinese also think they are related but actually they are not. The king's avatar is based on novel, and most of the skills and classes in glory are based on DNF, while WangZheRongYao 王者荣耀 is basically a mobile version LOL. The king's avatar does have one mobile game just released, but we all know it come out for money. Only a few people will try it, it is not gonna be top mobile game.

Thank you for explaining it to me, I suppose that i was wrong :D . That's what happen when you talk about something that you don't know. I was talking about the king's of glory game which is a version mobile of LOL . Although it seems to me a promo for tencent yet.

Anyway it doesn't matter for my point. i think that i expressed my opinion well about the anime, although my english is not really good.
War_lotharJun 3, 2017 4:02 PM
Jun 3, 2017 5:25 PM

Dec 2010
I haven't read the source novel, and this is my first ever Chinese anime (that I didn't drop within the first 30 seconds). That being said, I originally gave this anime a lower rating because purely in terms of character development and story...it IS extremely lacking. In no way is this a good story. But what it is, is a story about modern e-sports and a (limited) look into the lives of pro players, and that's something new. It helps that while the recycled scenes of the players actually playing in real life are really bad, the in-game battles are fluid and interesting. And yeah, the characters are mostly forgettable, but they're also all freaking cool.

In the end, I raised my score of this show simply because I was looking forward to it every week, and that's pretty significant for someone like me who has the attention span of a goldfish.
Jun 3, 2017 8:21 PM
Mar 2010
Generally speaking, ratings are given more or less at the spur of moment. If it's rated high, then there's just something about it that the individual liked about it and it's probably not the same reason for most people. There's no point in asking why for the rating overall because everyone has their own individual bias. I can, however, give you my personal thoughts about the series (slightly spoiler-ish).

I for one did read the web novel before the anime/donghua came and have mixed feeling about the story the further I read (the turning point for me was
).

On one hand, the MC is basically another 'can do nothing wrong' OP MC. He's better at pure skill than other pros known for their skills and better at strategy than other pros known for their strategies. He can wipe out huge groups with a small party including noobs. You know that he's going to get his way every single time even if it's literally 1 vs 100 (non-god) players. So much that I only skim through the chapters about the MMO aspects (Boss Raid / Guild / Grind / Farming).

On the other hand, the other pro teams are very interesting. If there's something this show has compared to other OP MC stories, it's that this one have very interesting friends/rivals that aren't only there to make the MC look better. The author didn't try to make the other team members unlikable (oh he tried very hard for Ye Xiu's former teammates at the beginning though, although I still find Sun Xiang more interesting than MC). I'm almost rooting for every other team. If anything, you can give the show some chance until the other pros are introduced because IMO that's where the show shines. Because of this I find this show much more comparable to sport anime than battle ones.

If you really really need to 'analyze' why it's popular (among the english community I guess), my hypothesis would be simply that it happens to be the right kind of show at the right time. The show happens to avoid some of the tropes that many considers saturated nowadays. Some of possible factors (that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with):

- MC isn't in high school.
- MC doesn't have a harem.
- Main female character isn't a violent tsundere.
- No Moe or loli for the sake of having them.
- Plenty of male characters for fujoshis and husbando material while having no obvious BL vibe to be considered 'fujoshi bait'.
- MC isn't a 'wimp', isn't 'whiny', isn't 'weak', isn't 'too kind'.
- There's no forced fan service and no MC-running-into-girl-changing-clothes thing.
- No misunderstanding between characters relationship or other problem that could be solved by talking.
- No major drama in the love department.
- Recently self-serving MCs are popular.
- OP MC are still pretty popular.
- Revenge story where MC is wronged at the beginning then getting revenge are also popular.
- It's a Game-related anime that doesn't have the tag of 'another stuck in a game anime'.
- It's closer to a sport anime than other game anime who're more like fantasy anime.
- While Animation and OST matters I'd say it's not the decisive factor for rating for the majority of the people whether good or bad.
- Side characters still get decent amount of development and spot light later on.
- Antagonists aren't one dimensional (dunno why they make some of them look so sinister in the anime though) and are often just doing their jobs or what's best for the team.
- There is a sense of Progression because the end goal is clear and there's obvious indications (level/equipment/teammates).

There are probably more but I'll leave it at this.
KashKYJun 3, 2017 9:39 PM
Jun 3, 2017 8:41 PM
Jul 2018
Because it's Sword Art Online done right, aside from Log Horizon, of course.
Jun 4, 2017 12:25 PM
Jun 2017
KashKY said:
Generally speaking, ratings are given more or less at the spur of moment. If it's rated high, then there's just something about it that the individual liked about it and it's probably not the same reason for most people. There's no point in asking why for the rating overall because everyone has their own individual bias. I can, however, give you my personal thoughts about the series (slightly spoiler-ish).

I for one did read the web novel before the anime/donghua came and have mixed feeling about the story the further I read (the turning point for me was
).

On one hand, the MC is basically another 'can do nothing wrong' OP MC. He's better at pure skill than other pros known for their skills and better at strategy than other pros known for their strategies. He can wipe out huge groups with a small party including noobs. You know that he's going to get his way every single time even if it's literally 1 vs 100 (non-god) players. So much that I only skim through the chapters about the MMO aspects (Boss Raid / Guild / Grind / Farming).

On the other hand, the other pro teams are very interesting. If there's something this show has compared to other OP MC stories, it's that this one have very interesting friends/rivals that aren't only there to make the MC look better. The author didn't try to make the other team members unlikable (oh he tried very hard for Ye Xiu's former teammates at the beginning though, although I still find Sun Xiang more interesting than MC). I'm almost rooting for every other team. If anything, you can give the show some chance until the other pros are introduced because IMO that's where the show shines. Because of this I find this show much more comparable to sport anime than battle ones.

If you really really need to 'analyze' why it's popular (among the english community I guess), my hypothesis would be simply that it happens to be the right kind of show at the right time. The show happens to avoid some of the tropes that many considers saturated nowadays. Some of possible factors (that I don't necessarily agree or disagree with):

- MC isn't in high school.
- MC doesn't have a harem.
- Main female character isn't a violent tsundere.
- No Moe or loli for the sake of having them.
- Plenty of male characters for fujoshis and husbando material while having no obvious BL vibe to be considered 'fujoshi bait'.
- MC isn't a 'wimp', isn't 'whiny', isn't 'weak', isn't 'too kind'.
- There's no forced fan service and no MC-running-into-girl-changing-clothes thing.
- No misunderstanding between characters relationship or other problem that could be solved by talking.
- No major drama in the love department.
- Recently self-serving MCs are popular.
- OP MC are still pretty popular.
- Revenge story where MC is wronged at the beginning then getting revenge are also popular.
- It's a Game-related anime that doesn't have the tag of 'another stuck in a game anime'.
- It's closer to a sport anime than other game anime who're more like fantasy anime.
- While Animation and OST matters I'd say it's not the decisive factor for rating for the majority of the people whether good or bad.
- Side characters still get decent amount of development and spot light later on.
- Antagonists aren't one dimensional (dunno why they make some of them look so sinister in the anime though) and are often just doing their jobs or what's best for the team.
- There is a sense of Progression because the end goal is clear and there's obvious indications (level/equipment/teammates).

There are probably more but I'll leave it at this.

I think you summarized it very well and I'm glad to see another audience who also got a mixed feeling about the novel instead of just saying how great it was (I myself also prefer the pvp/match related content but felt generally uninterested by raid/dungeon part).
I think it was just the author's strategy while he's writing the book, as you also mentioned, there are still tons of people just like to see an OP character and at least the MC still make some logical sense while being badass, which is also kinda balanced by presenting you some nicely developed side characters (so everyone can find something they like even though they have different tastes)
Jun 4, 2017 5:58 PM
Apr 2015
I usually rate anime high to counter the haters and don't try to criticize anime as I know it's takes monumental effort to make, but I was certainly surprised that this anime is rated this high, since MAL seem to have a dislike for OP'd MC.

The theory that the source material is a lot better and that it's the first Chinese anime that doesn't suck do make sense, as otherwise this adaptation is basically a weekly recycling of fighting animation scenes and pretty backgrounds.

It does seem like there could be a story (it needs to learn from other sports anime), but perhaps I could only get it by reading the source material.
Jun 4, 2017 8:33 PM
Apr 2015
boukendesho said:
I usually rate anime high to counter the haters and don't try to criticize anime as I know it's takes monumental effort to make, but I was certainly surprised that this anime is rated this high, since MAL seem to have a dislike for OP'd MC.

The theory that the source material is a lot better and that it's the first Chinese anime that doesn't suck do make sense, as otherwise this adaptation is basically a weekly recycling of fighting animation scenes and pretty backgrounds.

It does seem like there could be a story (it needs to learn from other sports anime), but perhaps I could only get it by reading the source material.

Just read the first 9 chapters. Without a doubt that the novel gives so much more depth that this adaptation cannot stand alone and is a poor one.
Jun 5, 2017 1:26 AM

Oct 2013
boukendesho said:
boukendesho said:

Just read the first 9 chapters. Without a doubt that the novel gives so much more depth that this adaptation cannot stand alone and is a poor one.

Dafuq why are you replying to yourself?

Forgot to switch accounts? ;)
Jun 5, 2017 2:32 AM

Mar 2017
boukendesho said:
boukendesho said:

Man, I wish I could bring Pullman over, cause boy oh boy.

Also, lol.

You gave up your freedom of speech when you clicked Agree to the User Agreement
This is not a public platform.
Jun 5, 2017 2:37 AM

Jan 2014
It has action, decent animation, cool mc, and appeals to gamers. I guess the fact it also isn't in highschool and deals with esports helps.

Jun 5, 2017 4:12 AM

Sep 2009
I heard good things about this show, mostly that it looks nice, and that's true but that's where about it.

It looks suburb, mostly. Everyone knows CGI is wonderful for objects and set pieces and this does that gorgeously; then you look at the bystanders. It's like they were ripped from a Chinese news reenactment. Character designs is more or less your typical shoujo-esque slender traits. Although it might be my eyes going back or screen dying but it looked like they skimmed on the line work here and there. My complaints about the quality of animation so far are more or less minor in comparison to everything else.

It's got a lot of good ideas but the execution is in tatters. The whole eSports things, older gamer archetypes, and basic game knowledge are all solid but they seem clueless on how it should be presented. You know nothing about how the game works, everyone outside the main cast seems like it's their first week of gaming, and the lingo almost is throw around haphazardly (I could be wrong about that last one and it could just be due to how the Chinese gaming scene speaks). I've played MMO's and I gotta say ain't no one going on about APM when that's probably the least important aspect (again this is directly related to knowing nothing about how GLORY mechanics work) of playing an MMO. Turning the melodrama to eleven is a bit of a turn off especially when everyone looks like they belong in a fashion show but their crying over games.

Story is self explanatory; what the fuck is happening and why isn't it moving faster? I'm on episode 3 and literally nothing has been explained, unveiled, or even progressed. It's just been him clearing dungeons (normally I might add), lazying around, and meeting more pretty girls.

It looks beautiful but this isn't progress. It's just sidestepping from one set of problems, SAO, to another, this. If I may be so tact - same shit different asshole.
LordLagannJun 5, 2017 4:17 AM
Jun 5, 2017 5:50 AM

Mar 2017
LordLagann said:

It's got a lot of good ideas but the execution is in tatters. The whole eSports things, older gamer archetypes, and basic game knowledge are all solid but they seem clueless on how it should be presented. You know nothing about how the game works, everyone outside the main cast seems like it's their first week of gaming, and the lingo almost is throw around haphazardly (I could be wrong about that last one and it could just be due to how the Chinese gaming scene speaks). I've played MMO's and I gotta say ain't no one going on about APM when that's probably the least important aspect (again this is directly related to knowing nothing about how GLORY mechanics work) of playing an MMO. Turning the melodrama to eleven is a bit of a turn off especially when everyone looks like they belong in a fashion show but their crying over games.

Resign thyself mate. With the sole exception of Log Horizon AFAIK, most videogame pros depicted onscreen is a variant of "Gotta go fast."
Jun 5, 2017 6:11 AM
Nov 2010
LordLagann said:

Story is self explanatory; what the fuck is happening and why isn't it moving faster? I'm on episode 3 and literally nothing has been explained, unveiled, or even progressed. It's just been him clearing dungeons (normally I might add), lazying around, and meeting more pretty girls.

It looks beautiful but this isn't progress. It's just sidestepping from one set of problems, SAO, to another, this. If I may be so tact - same shit different asshole.

Be patient; the story starts off slow, so it takes a while for it to pick up (actually, this story soon focuses more on PVP than PVE as the episodes go by, but gradually explains the gameplay mechanics, albeit not a lot). And I can assure you, this story has absolutely nothing to do with harem. I've watched up to the latest episode, and none of that harem thingy has happened at all. Novel readers can also vouch for that, but that's that.
Jun 5, 2017 2:33 PM

Sep 2009
le_halfhand_easy said:

Resign thyself mate. With the sole exception of Log Horizon AFAIK, most videogame pros depicted onscreen is a variant of "Gotta go fast."

I get there's a suspension of disbelief and portion of exaggeration 100% but the moment they start talking about AMP as if it was a huge determining factor I just shrug and laugh confusedly. Makes me think whoever is behind the scenes hasn't even played video games and is just taking whatever they researched and stringing daisy chaining everything together. It's just surprising that not one show has understood defining game mechanics as pivotal to a story about gaming. LG was close, really fucking close, but I felt they went overboard in explaining and magnifying every niche mechanic.

eplipswich said:

Be patient; the story starts off slow, so it takes a while for it to pick up (actually, this story soon focuses more on PVP than PVE as the episodes go by, but gradually explains the gameplay mechanics, albeit not a lot). And I can assure you, this story has absolutely nothing to do with harem. I've watched up to the latest episode, and none of that harem thingy has happened at all. Novel readers can also vouch for that, but that's that.

It's not SAO level terrible right now so I'll stick with it and I'm fine with slow start shows. I just gotta question whether that sorta pacing is necessary for a story about gaming. It's right for a melodrama sure but even there I gotta question whether a melodrama is the right direction for a show about eSports. Yeah, I'm only on episode 3 so who knows, maybe it does pay off. I'll just see where this goes for now.
Jun 5, 2017 3:19 PM
Jun 2017
LordLagann said:

I get there's a suspension of disbelief and portion of exaggeration 100% but the moment they start talking about AMP as if it was a huge determining factor I just shrug and laugh confusedly. Makes me think whoever is behind the scenes hasn't even played video games and is just taking whatever they researched and stringing daisy chaining everything together. It's just surprising that not one show has understood defining game mechanics as pivotal to a story about gaming. LG was close, really fucking close, but I felt they went overboard in explaining and magnifying every niche mechanic.

It's not SAO level terrible right now so I'll stick with it and I'm fine with slow start shows. I just gotta question whether that sorta pacing is necessary for a story about gaming. It's right for a melodrama sure but even there I gotta question whether a melodrama is the right direction for a show about eSports. Yeah, I'm only on episode 3 so who knows, maybe it does pay off. I'll just see where this goes for now.

Well I can say the adaptation is pretty ok to me, not the best because it leaves out many fun details and game mechanics. Most of the fights are well animated but in the beginning of the story, most noobs can only watch and say "its because they have high APM", which is pretty different compared to pro's comment. Actually, you will see how pro players analyze the fight compared to noobs in episode 10. I would you have to keep watching and read the novel as the story progresses.
There are many factors that make one pro in the novel: keeping the combo high, cancellation moves, utilizing cool down, timing opponent's cool down, etc. APM is a huge determining factor. for melee fighters, their skills' cool downs are faster so they need to input most efficient combos in the shortest amount of time.

About the spacing, it alternates between dungeon farming and PVP ( with pro players). I would say things get exciting for me after the All-star event, which may not be covered in this season. This is the time when we get to know more pro players (Ye Xiu's friends and rivals) and they are the hight-light of the novel imo (since I don't really care about Ye Xiu and his group).
Jun 5, 2017 3:40 PM
Jun 2017
LordLagann said:
le_halfhand_easy said:

eplipswich said:

About APM: I agree that the power of player's APM was exaggerated to some degree, but maybe not as much as you thought: the game 'Glory' was kind like an action MMO which is quite different to most games today such as WoW. It has been said that the game mechanics was based on an MMO in real world called Dungeon Fighter Online where APM is a determining factor of how good a player can be.
Plus, the MC himself also stated in ep3 that, APM does NOT stand for everything in this game after his fight with Tang, not sure why you missed this part.

About the story: I agree the fact that story does not go straight into the pvp competition may also annoy some audiences expecting to see a 'realistic e-sport show'. I myself also think the story is actually more about a standard MMO, but combines some e-sports element in it (like a world championship for WoW). I don't think anime in this season will show you much about formal matches between pro-players, so save your time if that's all you wanted to see. But even so, I personally still think it's an enjoyable show just to see how each characters being introduced and developed (which, I think is the main purpose for the first season)
Jun 5, 2017 4:19 PM
Jun 2017
chzcy said:

About the story: I agree the fact that story does not go straight into the pvp competition may also annoy some audiences expecting to see a 'realistic e-sport show'. I myself also think the story is actually more about a standard MMO, but combines some e-sports element in it (like a world championship for WoW). I don't think anime in this season will show you much about formal matches between pro-players, so save your time if that's all you wanted to see. But even so, I personally still think it's an enjoyable show just to see how each characters being introduced and developed (which, I think is the main purpose for the first season)

In the novel, it is said that the online game Glory was opened 10 years ago and the Union for pro players was only established 7 years ago. So PVE comes first. Therefore, the dungeon farming is an inseparable part of Glory, especially for professional players where their clubs have to establish guilds to farm materials ( to make silver equipment and building their storage). SO you will see pro players farming dungeons/stealing bosses/stealing materials from dead players/many other shameless things, even god players have to do those in dire situations. e-sport people have to personally come into the game and search for new talents. This is a logical build up imo.
Jun 5, 2017 7:47 PM

Sep 2009

It's not about exaggeration of skill when it comes to any CD based game. There is an immediate APM cap when gameplay is mechanically structured around cool downs, dodges, and parrying. If anything I suspect they are operating under the myth that higher APM means better performance. Since right after he episode three where he states APM isn't everything you have the story go right back into glorying high APM players. Either everyone but the protagonist is retarded or the script is improvised.

MMOs, action types or not, is not APM hungry genre. They are more in line with fighting games because of the memorization of timings, reactions, and skill management. Except in a fighting game the faster you move, react, and input button combos the more you can benefit. In an MMO you cannot play faster then your cool downs dictates so there is no point in a crazy high APM ceiling. The less to micromanage the less there is a need for high APM.

Of course the crux of my argument is that so far they haven't unveils what is considered high APM in GLORY. I assume for an Action MMO the average would be around 150 for proficient to professional players. I don't imagine casual players would break 100. Still the amount of times APM has been brought up in a game about MMO's is strange.
Jun 5, 2017 9:19 PM
Jun 2017
LordLagann said:

It's not about exaggeration of skill when it comes to any CD based game. There is an immediate APM cap when gameplay is mechanically structured around cool downs, dodges, and parrying. If anything I suspect they are operating under the myth that higher APM means better performance. Since right after he episode three where he states APM isn't everything you have the story go right back into glorying high APM players. Either everyone but the protagonist is retarded or the script is improvised.

MMOs, action types or not, is not APM hungry genre. They are more in line with fighting games because of the memorization of timings, reactions, and skill management. Except in a fighting game the faster you move, react, and input button combos the more you can benefit. In an MMO you cannot play faster then your cool downs dictates so there is no point in a crazy high APM ceiling. The less to micromanage the less there is a need for high APM.

Of course the crux of my argument is that so far they haven't unveils what is considered high APM in GLORY. I assume for an Action MMO the average would be around 150 for proficient to professional players. I don't imagine casual players would break 100. Still the amount of times APM has been brought up in a game about MMO's is strange.

Although not being well-emphasized in the anime (which i think is because the producer takes it as a trivial point that many of the audiences wouldn't care), but the importance of AMP can actually be explained in a way that the skill usage or even character movement is fairly complex and require some fine actions on the key-board.

This kind of setting, as you said, is not adapted by any contemporary MMO, but I don't think the concept is stupid since the story is set in near future (which I think was mentioned in the show but not too sure...), at least, much more realistic than a 'brain-plugged VR' (which, despite the source that many people hate, is still not such a crazy idea). Also, I think it is kind of a necessary condition that allows a MMO to be considered an e-sports since this kind of game-play emphasis the skill you have as a pro player (who mainly focuses on their competition instead of hanging around in the MMO with casual players). Simply speaking, the game Glory just exist in this way for the sake of the story, neglecting this is equivalent of saying the 'force' in star war is bullxxxx.

Anyway, I hope this explanation can just relief your discomfort about the background of this anime: Yes I agree some concepts are not very well elaborated in the show, but I simply don't find them difficult to accept even without reading the source material. If you still find it stupid, then just drop the show and find something more interesting. Have a good day :)
Jun 5, 2017 10:12 PM

Mar 2017
LordLagann said:

Yeah, it can be bothersome if you are familiar with all of that, but to be fair, it's also crucial to the world-building component of Log Horizon. How much Mamare Touno can twist and expand on such mechanics to create a world of seemingly endless horizons is, for me, the most brilliant part of the show.
Jun 5, 2017 10:13 PM

Sep 2009

Naw, already caught up to episode 9 so I'll just stick it out. What I've seen I think the central problem is it's an Anime about eSports being treated as a Chinese Drama and like many others neither know how to present MMO's. Having said that this isn't terrible. The real life and in game transitions make sense even as dramatized as it is. Just wish there was a bit more polish and refinement in the story and presentation. Voice acting could use work as well. Not sure if its me but half the VA's either seem to be stoic in an attempt to appeal to the teenage demographic or they just have no clue what the lines their reading entails.

As of now it's alright. I'd chalk it up to one of the more palatable MMO-esque Animes out there.
Jun 5, 2017 10:13 PM
Apr 2015
dc22 said:
boukendesho said:

Only one account buddy. So what if I replied to myself?
Jun 5, 2017 10:21 PM
Apr 2015
le_halfhand_easy said:
boukendesho said:

Man, I wish I could bring Pullman over, cause boy oh boy.

Also, lol.

Maybe you should. Lol.
Jun 8, 2017 10:47 PM

Dec 2013
Zapredon said:
I haven't watch this show yet, but this appear in my youtube recommendations.

Now I wonder if I should watch this.

That video had me hyped for this series, but like hype for any show, it can get viewers to raise their expectations too high, leading to disappointment. I'm only two episodes in, but while I see potential in the story's themes and the studio's talents, the show struggles in many departments. To call it a Chinese SAO clone is, at this time, giving the show too much credit.

Nonetheless, I hope Chinese Animators can learn from this show's failures and start producing higher quality shows.
Jun 9, 2017 12:26 AM
Feb 2015
Watching this show has been a refreshing take for me . Because for once in a very very long time, I am finally watching a show where fan service are not heaped onto my screen every 5 mins or so either in the form of skimpy clad characters or typical tsundere or yandere style.

The animation style leaves much to be desired off, but if an anime is to be judged entirely off its animation then many anime would struggle to hit that mark as well.

The story too is something that is refreshing to see, its not your typical high school fantasy supernatural sci-fi style. But rather it is about a culture and social phenomena which is taking place in real life right now. Few if any Japanese style anime ever explore this area so it is an interesting uptake.

Is it the best ? Most certainly not, but it is something new.
Jun 9, 2017 1:21 AM
Jul 2018
I guess it's a new idea, an eSports Anime, that come up recently. And some Gamers can relate to it.
Jun 10, 2017 11:06 AM
Feb 2009
KyuuJuuKyuu said:
I guess it's a new idea, an eSports Anime, that come up recently. And some Gamers can relate to it.

Not a gamer and I like it.
It has one plus that few anime have: it doesn't have big plot holes, dumb as f characters, characters who's personality is tsundere (etc) or writing that makes you cringe.
So it turns out all you need for a great anime is decent idea, ok writing and animation and then just to pay attention and not to screw anything up. It's surprising how rare this is.
Jun 12, 2017 2:13 AM

Oct 2013
Bozzzz said:
KyuuJuuKyuu said:

Not a gamer and I like it.
It has one plus that few anime have: it doesn't have big plot holes, dumb as f characters, characters who's personality is tsundere (etc) or writing that makes you cringe.
So it turns out all you need for a great anime is decent idea, ok writing and animation and then just to pay attention and not to screw anything up. It's surprising how rare this is.

It doesn't have plot holes because the meager "plot" is irrelevant, the MC just plows through everything.
There's quite a few dumb characters, like the blonde berserker guy.
And what writing? The characters are bland and unidimensional.

Having merit for lack of all the trashy weeb stuff is barely an accomplishment. It still has quite a few bad tropes.
Jun 12, 2017 2:04 PM
Nov 2009
Personally I find this series to be a breath of fresh air. The last few years I've found myself practically avoiding 95% of the newly launched anime because just looking at the title image I can deduce what kind of content I can expect to find, and more often than not I'm not interested in fanservice(though there are ofc exceptions), recycled concepts and major plot points, nor harems or unecessary love drama, and most of the new series have at least one if not all of these elements.

And while this one is somewhat predictable plot wise, does have noticeable animation copying and horribly obvious CG occasionally, the characters are loveable and they are so far from the trope-y characters I'm used to seeing everywhere else.
They all possess a certain amount of subtlety and layers that I'm used to seeing in real people(though maybe that's just me projecting) and that I have been missing from the conventional anime scene where every emotion is implied and portrayed in an exaggerated fashion.

I haven't had any problems with the voice acting actually. I feel they fit the characters well. The ones that are over the top voice them over the top, and everyone else are down to earth and sound like normal people, like you'd find on the street. Then again, I'm kind of used to Chinese TV dramas, but at the same time I'm not exactly proficient in Chinese either, so...eh*shrug*

But mainly not having fanservice shoved in my face at every opportunity is a very very big plus in my book. Don't think I've registered a single boob window so far. :D

...I gotta admit though, I do have a thing for competent characters, so I'm probably rather biased about this series...I'm kind of sick and tired of 'start at the bottom as trash and slowly work my way up to the top' type main plots...
Jun 12, 2017 10:24 PM

Mar 2017
Raiga said:
Personally I find this series to be a breath of fresh air. The last few years I've found myself practically avoiding 95% of the newly launched anime because just looking at the title image I can deduce what kind of content I can expect to find, and more often than not I'm not interested in fanservice(though there are ofc exceptions), recycled concepts and major plot points, nor harems or unecessary love drama, and most of the new series have at least one if not all of these elements.

And while this one is somewhat predictable plot wise, does have noticeable animation copying and horribly obvious CG occasionally, the characters are loveable and they are so far from the trope-y characters I'm used to seeing everywhere else.
They all possess a certain amount of subtlety and layers that I'm used to seeing in real people(though maybe that's just me projecting) and that I have been missing from the conventional anime scene where every emotion is implied and portrayed in an exaggerated fashion.

I haven't had any problems with the voice acting actually. I feel they fit the characters well. The ones that are over the top voice them over the top, and everyone else are down to earth and sound like normal people, like you'd find on the street. Then again, I'm kind of used to Chinese TV dramas, but at the same time I'm not exactly proficient in Chinese either, so...eh*shrug*

But mainly not having fanservice shoved in my face at every opportunity is a very very big plus in my book. Don't think I've registered a single boob window so far. :D

...I gotta admit though, I do have a thing for competent characters, so I'm probably rather biased about this series...I'm kind of sick and tired of 'start at the bottom as trash and slowly work my way up to the top' type main plots...

And this... this is a perfect little microcosm of why I hate fanservice. It's making disappointingly mediocre shows look like Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu by comparison.
Jun 14, 2017 3:59 AM

Jun 2016
I haven't finished it yet but i'm sure I won't rate it lower than 7. Art is good, þere is a lot of action, characters are actually realistic and I haven't seen anime involving real eSports before. They behave just like gamers should. Currently it's 8/10 for me.
Jun 17, 2017 9:01 PM

Dec 2010
You know what, I have no idea why this show did so well. From a very objective standpoint, it's not a good show at all. And yet somehow, every episode was entertaining and I found myself looking forward to its release every week.

Strange.
Jun 17, 2017 11:38 PM
Dec 2016
dc22 said:
Just curious, I think it's pretty obviously the opposite of good in every single way.

Is it the action, the gaming references and the chinese audience?

Personally, I don't understand why this series is so appreciated. There is no character development. The main character is so badass, therefore you completely lose the tension, so fighting is boring to watch. I have rarely seen such a badly written series.

Maybe the Chinese people love this kind of series, but I didnt like it.
Jun 18, 2017 12:17 AM

Jul 2015
dc22 said:
boukendesho said:

I don't think you noticed, but that "read" is past tense lol
Jun 18, 2017 2:54 AM

Oct 2013
Peco said:
dc22 said:

I don't think you noticed, but that "read" is past tense lol

Oh ok. It's just wierd, when someone has something more to say, they usually edit the comment.
Jun 18, 2017 4:11 AM
Jun 2017
LordLagann said:

With all the info provided to you in the series, why are you assuming that this MMO is exactly just like the standard MMO? Destiny deviated from the formula. Should we never expect that to happen again? Has deviating from the standard MMO formula now become illegal? in all Considering the level of difficulty MMOs have had in replicating the success of World of Warcraft, wouldn't it make sense for future MMOs to do their own thing and appealing in that way instead of becoming a 2nd rate WoW?

To me, that's no different than assuming that Dark Souls, Pillars of Eternity/Baldur's Gate & Diablo games have the same type of gameplay because they're all RPGs.
A game doesn't exactly qualify as an esport by default...
Without a high skill ceiling available, it's not gonna be popular, interesting or fun to watch.

If you look at the game Starcraft for instance, since it's a high APM esport. You control an army, and the growth and actions of that army depends on your input. The higher your (effective) APM is, the more you can do, and that is in large part due to the numerous units you can produce.
So basically, the higher ur APM is, the more things u can do in that game.

If you then break it down to control of a single unit, for a high (effective) APM to be feasible, you must have a lot of actions available to you that you can perform with minimal CD to no between each action. (not sure if I phrased that properly)
APM aside, the show as well as the novel has depicted numerous things that just aren't possible with a standard MMO. Things like Z-shake, manual blocking, sword-lock, weight and length of a weapon being important factors, Vanishing Step, combo'ing and so on.

tl;dr Makes more sense to assume that it isn't a standard MMO, just as Destiny isn't standard, in order for the high APM (among other things) to become a thing. That for games to become an esport, certain requirements must be met, rather than assuming that all games have that potential by default.
Jun 18, 2017 1:13 PM

Sep 2009

The Anime has hardly provided any information about the game at all and GLORY is far from anything like Destiny; which hardly was anything fresh or abnormal. I've also stated that it's an Action MMO which is already an existing genre that the game GLORY is taking inspiration from.

APM itself is not a definitive factor in competition and is varies from game to game. There is however an APM cap where beyond that you get diminishing returns. Compared to the original SC2 is heavily restructured where you don't need crazy high APM to perform at higher levels. MMO's typically requires less by design and Action MMO's increase that number though having as much manual oversight as possible. It is still less than an RTS game like Starcraft by a wide margin and logically both the APM cap and effective APM use shrinks accordingly. Typically the smaller the scale the lower the APM ceiling.

Now you have GLORY. Where the Anime doesn't explain a majority of the game's functions, show players fast clickity clickty but never as to what they are inputting (if anything), and keeps showing us highly advanced skill techniques but doesn't tell us what it does or how they did it. On top of that the show puts high APM players on a pedestals while failing to go in depth of the mentioned above. Lemme ask you how in the world do we connect high APM, skillful players, and GLORY if we are left in the dark of how this game is suppose to be played?

Aside from how they present GLORY and it's mechanics it just looks like an advanced form of your typical Action MMO. Outside of launching your weapon in the air mid fight and some other fantastical feats of game design everything pretty much exist today. Z-shake is pretty much sidestepping with a mouse, manual blocking is a thing, locking on to targets is a thing, plenty of MMO's take into account weight and size, and Action MMO's typically implement a combo system in one form or another.

You can't slip these things past an actual gamer whose been in the scene for years. If there are issues around the core concept, which is GLORY and the players who participate, those issues are bound to reverberate through the story. It's done pretty well to skirt around issues concerning the game using drama and action sequences but I still gotta mark it up for not properly fleshing out GLORY when it's suppose to be the focal point that the story revolves around.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

NettoAzure - Apr 6, 2017

225 by Rineczka »»
Jan 11, 12:47 PM

» Will The King's Avatar get an English dub?

awesomeblackman - Oct 30, 2018

8 by egosumjohn »»
Nov 3, 2023 7:48 AM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

bubbletea - Apr 28, 2017

82 by AshleyHawk1 »»
Dec 18, 2022 6:08 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Lambdaa- - Apr 7, 2017

163 by Nat_V »»
Oct 13, 2022 11:53 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

eplipswich - Jun 15, 2017

148 by HagePotPotato »»
Sep 18, 2022 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.