Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 11, 2017 1:59 PM
Jul 2014
Being someone who is relatively new to the genre of Mahou Shoujo I spend a good amount of time looking for more series to watch. I've only seen to completion Cardcaptor Sakura (best magical girl series, and it'll be hard to change that imo), Madoka, and a couple seasons of Prisma Illya, but I'm currently watching three more: Heartcatch Precure, Sailor Moon, and Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo.

The last of which brings me to the point of this post. Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo is a mahou shoujo anime from 2009 which combines the genre with the style/genre of detective fiction and has tons of other interesting elements added in such as evolutions as you may see within a series more like digimon or pokemon. It has really solid and consistent quality, great character designs, solid integration of story and straddles between simple episodic slice of life and having a background real plot developing. Yet, despite all this, and the fact that I've enjoyed the whole series thus far (23 eps in to the 50 total), I've never seen anyone else bring it up.

As such, I am wondering if anyone else who is here knows some obscure, overlooked, or underrated Mahou Shoujo anime which they think should be brought more to light. I know this won't get too much attention as this group is relatively dead, but I thought it was possible that people here might know some interesting series that I've not heard of (though I've spent a lot of time looking to find series, so I've heard of a good few).
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 9, 2017 7:50 AM
Oct 2015
Some I enjoyed are Kamichama karin, mahou shoujo lyrical nanoha, Tokyo Mew Mew, Mermaid Melody, and Im sure there is many more that I cant think of off the top of my head. Sorry
Jun 16, 2019 7:34 PM
Apr 2017
I think that Tweeny Witches should be brought more to light because it was fun to watch.
Dec 17, 2019 10:48 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
CommanderSparkle said:
Being someone who is relatively new to the genre of Mahou Shoujo I spend a good amount of time looking for more series to watch. I've only seen to completion Cardcaptor Sakura (best magical girl series, and it'll be hard to change that imo), Madoka, and a couple seasons of Prisma Illya, but I'm currently watching three more: Heartcatch Precure, Sailor Moon, and Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo.

The last of which brings me to the point of this post. Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo is a mahou shoujo anime from 2009 which combines the genre with the style/genre of detective fiction and has tons of other interesting elements added in such as evolutions as you may see within a series more like digimon or pokemon. It has really solid and consistent quality, great character designs, solid integration of story and straddles between simple episodic slice of life and having a background real plot developing. Yet, despite all this, and the fact that I've enjoyed the whole series thus far (23 eps in to the 50 total), I've never seen anyone else bring it up.

As such, I am wondering if anyone else who is here knows some obscure, overlooked, or underrated Mahou Shoujo anime which they think should be brought more to light. I know this won't get too much attention as this group is relatively dead, but I thought it was possible that people here might know some interesting series that I've not heard of (though I've spent a lot of time looking to find series, so I've heard of a good few).

Hello! I've just become a new member of this club and I would like to make a comment on this very dead thread!!

I have heard about Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo for a while and kinda wrote it off as a Tokyo Mew Mew clone, but I do like the character designs... maybe I'll watch it sometime.
Since it's been 2 years since you posted this, how was it? I see you've completed it.

Oh my goodness. I have watched (to completion) three magical girl shows this year—in chronological order, Uta∽Kata, The Demon Girl Next Door, and Princess Tutu. Princess Tutu is easily the most known of these three, so I'd like to talk about the first two here.

Uta∽Kata is honestly a new favorite for me. I really don't think it's better than Madoka Magica, but it's definitely underrated and I think it has made its way into a special place in my heart regardless. It's honestly a bit saddening to see that its MAL average score is only 6.79 at the time of this writing...
I guess it's not the kind of show for people who hate slow-paced anime as this is a slow-paced coming-of-age story, but... there's just something about it that I really love. Not only is this anime one of the rare cases of more than one outfit for the magical girl, but these outfits are probably some of the most unique I've ever seen in a magical girl anime. The OST is very memorable and is easily the soundtrack I've listened to the most this year. The character designs may not be the most bold or anything, but there's something about the colors and simplicity of them that I like.
The only real complaint I have for this anime is the fanservice. There's a couple of panty shots or stuff like that here and there, but I can kinda get past that for three reasons: 1) they mainly show up in the first half in the show, 2) whenever they do show up, they're usually super brief unless it's the magical transformations (during the first half they take up some time, but in the second half real shit happens so the transformations are condensed so you can see the real shit), and 3) the show's made for a seinen (older men) audience anyway.
If you really like darker magical girl shows like Madoka Magica and can stomach the fanservice, I really do insist that you give Uta∽Kata a shot (in fact this show came out 7 years before Madoka did!). It's nice.

The Demon Girl Next Door is a new magical girl show that came out this year, based off of a 4-panel manga from 2014. It's basically a Cute Girls Doing Cute Things anime that's also a magical girl parody, and I absolutely enjoyed it! I can't say it's exactly a new favorite anime for me (mainly cuz the production kinda makes things a bit iffy), but Yuuko is a great main character and the show is probably my favorite anime of this year.
Sep 10, 2020 6:45 PM
Jul 2014
Fario-P said:
I have heard about Anyamal Tantei Kiruminzoo for a while and kinda wrote it off as a Tokyo Mew Mew clone, but I do like the character designs... maybe I'll watch it sometime.
Since it's been 2 years since you posted this, how was it? I see you've completed it.

I actually really loved Kiruminzoo, the character designs really are incredible, I loved how they handle transformations, and think that the way the plot progresses is really well done. Also, the Thai OP absolutely bops!!! I'd say its in my top 10 for Mahou Shoujo I've seen. The director of it also did Scrapped Princess (one of my favorites), Chaika Coffin Princess, Sakura Quest, and Bunny Girl Senpai. I'd definitely recommend it, its always been one of my go to underrated/underwatched shows to recommend since I've finished it.

If there is any single magical girl show I'd recommend anyone watch though its definitely Ojamajo Doremi. I said in my original post that it'd be hard for any show to top Cardcaptor Sakura, but I think that Ojamajo Doremi did. The first season is good, but the 2nd through 4th seasons are all really incredible, with the final season really stealing the show for me. Incredible very large cast, they do a good job of fleshing out the world and making it feel lived in, and aren't afraid of tackling more mature ideas and themes while still making them digestible for a kid friendly audience. A masterclass of the genre for sure. Sakura is still my favorite magical girl though.

Also, I've gotten more into precure, with Smile being my favorite thus far. I've only actually completed Heartcatch and Smile, but I've watched about half of GoPri and Hugtto, and started Healin Good, Mahoutsukai, Star Twinkle, and Kira Kira. I need to watch more, but overall I love precure.
Mar 17, 2021 1:08 AM
Jan 2020
It's not a super unknown one or anything, but I adore Ojamajo Doremi from what I've seen.
Edit: I missed that CommanderSparkle mentioned it, I'm seconding it as a great series.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favourite Mahou Shoujo Series

AlabastreAizo - Aug 22, 2013

12 by Fario-P »»
Dec 17, 2019 10:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.