Forum Settings
Forums
The Garden of Words
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2017 1:02 AM

Apr 2016
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I love that this chapter is named "A clap of thunder" (the beginning of Yukino's poem). The first four coloured pages of this manga already drew me in. There is a sense of mystery as Takao's monologue starts with, "I didn't know that I had such emotions within me" as we see Yukino's wet feet and him, drenched and determined... Then Takao continues, "Not until I'd met..." and we see Yukino soaked and crying. It was such a lovely moment to see the two at the park; Takao with his umbrella and back facing the readers and Yukino under the shelter, as the two looked at each other.

I like that we see Takao's classmates' (Matsumoto and Sato) attention and almost introduction, as they saw him at the train and knew he skipped his morning class on rainy days, without stopping him. I like the calm and delicate tone to our protagonists' meeting, as they initially minded their own businesses. – Takao drew shoe designs and stared at Yukino’s feet, while she drank beer. I love the mysterious air to this meeting. Yukino seemed approachable when she caught Takao's eraser and returned it to him after it bounced off his paper. For Yukino to end their meeting with her poem...that was like a task for Takao to find the poem and its meaning, and discover who she really is. To Takao, she truly was a stranger with a feeling of familiarity.

I kind of chuckled that Takao had a blank expression as he replied, "...Dunno?" when Matsumoto and Sato asked where he was. xD Maybe he came to the park on impulse...? But meeting each other in Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden is between Takao and Yukino, after all.

Takao is very mature beyond his years, for someone who is only 15 years old. I'm older than him, and I don't know how to cook. I wonder why Takao's mother left a note that said, "To big brother & Takao" without stating her elder son's name too? ._____. Takao's brother's name is Shouta...
I think it's typical to expect older siblings to cook if their parent(s) are busy or inactive. Perhaps Takao cooks because he's better at it, or he comes home earlier than Shouta? There appears to be a role reversal in a sense, seeing how mature Takao is as he cooks for both himself and his brother, and spends his nights making shoes. (Takao even washed the dishes!) Aside from working, how else does Shouta contribute to the household? Maybe he pays the rent? But anyway, it's nice to see that Shouta bought croquettes and the brothers ate dinner together. :)

It seems their mother must have had a number of relationships, after her divorce with their father, for Shouta to say, "She'll get into a fight with her boyfriend and come home." It seems Shouta is more individualistic (or maybe practical?) since he tried to not show concern for their mother's situation - it was her choice to move in with her boyfriend, after all. For Shouta to choose to move in with his girlfriend could reinforce Takao’s overall maturity. – Since Takao would live alone then, Shouta must know very well that his brother is capable of taking care of himself, thus there is nothing to worry about.

It was cute that the Akizuki brothers goofed around a bit! XD When Shouta told Takao to make him shoes as a moving-out gift and that it must be nice his workplace is getting bigger, all Takao said was "Yeah" nonchalantly. :P But it's too bad Shouta didn't know Yukino's tanka... Shouta’s "ask Mom" suggestion seemed futile since she doesn't even come home .______.

I love that although Yukino and Takao did not plan to meet, or even promise to see each other, they still do on rainy days. :) LOL at Takao’s surprise as he instantly closed his sketchpad, when Yukino suddenly spoke up while he was drawing. xD I love that even though Yukino spoke first by asking Takao, “Is school closed today?”, he childishly replied, “What about you? Is your office closed today?” with his arms and legs crossed :P We rarely ever see Takao’s childish side, which is honestly a pleasure and it made Yukino chuckle too. :)

There's a common notion in society that once you are of legal age, you are an adult. And what are adults like? They're supposed to be responsible and can handle their own problems confidently. They're not supposed to run away or be stuck in life. Adults are somehow always expected to be resolved and confident. But The Garden of Words gives an accurate portrayal that even if you are an adult technically, so what? Even at 27, you're very much still a child... Yukino is running away by playing hooky, while even though Takao is too by skipping his morning class, he is determined and devoted, as he is running towards his career by practicing his shoe designs. Also, alcohol is associated with adults, while chocolate is associated with children. Seeing Yukino have both beer and chocolate bars in her hands displays that mixture – although she is technically an adult, she indeed is very much like a child. And even though Takao is technically a minor, he was adult-like for telling Yukino, “But…alcohol by itself isn’t good for you,” which had her acknowledge him as “worldly for a high schooler.” I love the contrast between our protagonists, so much. <3

The scenery of the park and the two sitting under the shelter is so gorgeous. <3 I love the details to the leaves!! *______*

I like that Yukino’s “Well then, we might meet again. Perhaps when it rains again” aligns with her poem; the poem that asked if he would stay when rain falls. :) Takao did not expect her words – her subtle request, and we can expect to see him come back.

10/10
Cloe900311May 1, 2017 1:13 AM
Feb 20, 2022 10:48 AM
Aug 2021
I'm loving the delinquent who skips school during the rain

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotonoha no Niwa Chapter 3 Discussion

Cloe900311 - May 1, 2017

1 by FedeMetal »»
Sep 25, 2022 8:42 AM

Poll: » Kotonoha no Niwa Chapter 2 Discussion

Cloe900311 - May 1, 2017

2 by oiudaniel »»
Feb 20, 2022 11:16 AM

» The hotel wedding

izumi-kun98 - Mar 19, 2018

3 by D_2301 »»
Oct 4, 2020 1:24 PM

Poll: » Kotonoha no Niwa Chapter 7 Discussion

Mayuka - May 19, 2015

12 by Cloe900311 »»
Jan 13, 2018 11:30 PM

Poll: » Kotonoha no Niwa Chapter 6 Discussion

Cloe900311 - Jun 22, 2017

0 by Cloe900311 »»
Jun 22, 2017 7:38 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.