Forum Settings
Forums

Anime/Manga about Substance Abuse and Recovery (Drugs/Recovery)

New
Apr 8, 2017 8:12 AM

Aug 2013
Anyone know of any anime or manga that focuses on substance abuse and recovery?

Thanks
Want to talk?
Club!

"Would you like an anti-psychotic?"

*Bonus points if you leave a comment about the meaning of my signature.*
Apr 8, 2017 8:17 AM

Jul 2009
I know Gangsta dabbles with drugs a lot, but it doesn't really focus on the abuse and recovery aspect
Apr 8, 2017 9:29 AM

May 2012
In the manga version of NHK ni Youkoso! Satou uses cocaine. That never appears in the anime version which leaves his hallucinations unexplained. Whether Misaki constitutes "recovery" is at best an open question.

Remember that Japan has a much less tolerant view of drugs than does the West. That's why you see so little mention of drug usage in anime whose primary audience is adolescents and young adults. For instance,

According to statistics compiled by the health ministry in February [2014], 0.4 percent of the Japanese population aged between 15 and 64 years old have tried stimulants [like methamphetamine] at least once in their life. In the United States, 5.1 percent of the population over the age of 12 has tried meth at least once. Meanwhile, 41.9 percent of Americans have tried marijuana at least once in their life, compared to 1.2 percent of the Japanese population.

If you follow AnimeNewsNetwork, you'll see stories about celebrities being arrested on drug charges every now and then.

I don't read manga, but the only widespread usage of drugs I know of in Japanese media is in RPGs, and then we're talking about "potions" and the like.
SeijiSenseiApr 8, 2017 10:12 AM
Apr 8, 2017 11:45 AM

Apr 2014
Heaven's Memo Pad

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
53 minutes ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by MeguSae38 »»
1 hour ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 10 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.