Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 29, 2017 8:28 PM

Jun 2014
I've recently become interested in shoujo isekai stories, after reading Kanata Kara and beginning to watch Tenkuu no Escaflowne. Both are great, and I'd really like to look into this genre further.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, either manga or anime.
Mar 29, 2017 8:34 PM

Jun 2015
Fushigi Yuugi
Juuni kokuki
Inuyasha (ish)
Mar 29, 2017 8:35 PM

May 2012
These aren't officially "shoujo" since neither of them appeared in a shoujo manga. But they both have female protagonists; one is sixteen, the other twelve.

The first is the classic Juuni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms") based on a novel by Ono Fuyumi. A wimpy high-school iincho is whisked off to a fantasy world where she discovers her true identity and fate.

In the anime-original series Noein, a young girl living in Hokkaido turns out to be the nexus of a conflict between warring "parallel universes." She travels to and from those universes over the course of the story.

I see both of these are on your PTW list.
Mar 30, 2017 4:53 AM

Jan 2015
+1 Juuni kokuki
~ Tenkuu no Escaflowne

Manga
~ Eh? Heibon desu yo??
~ Isekai de "Kuro no Iyashi Te" tte Yobareteimasu

Mar 30, 2017 6:20 AM

Mar 2009
It's not exactly isekai, but I would suggest Terra e... (where as far as he knows, the big city he lives in is the whole world, but he learns it isn't), and I would go with the 2007 TV series (I'd rate them TV>manga>movie)

And for just other good scifi and fantasy shojo manga, Basara and Please Save My Earth are musts.
7 Seeds kind of counts, it's the same world, but after a cryogenic freeze, so at least temporally, they're stranded
Mar 31, 2017 2:37 AM

Jun 2014
Thank you all for the suggestions. Most of these were more or less on my radar already, as I'd done a little digging on my own, but I appreciate the effort nonetheless.

I'm pretty interested in Juuni Kokuki, Noein, and 7 seeds, so that should keep me busy for a little bit.
Mar 31, 2017 5:37 AM

May 2012
In case it matters to you, I'll warn you that the English dub for Noein is pretty horrible. They don't even pronounce the characters' names correctly compared to the Japanese.

It was pretty common in those days to represent a Kansai-ben accent in Japanese with a southern accent in American English (cf. "Osaka" in Azumanga Daioh). Still the treatment of physicist Ryouko's voice borders on the absurd. Her actress sounds like she just left an afternoon tea at the Birmingham, Alabama, chapter of the Daughters of the Confederacy.
Mar 31, 2017 6:56 AM

Jun 2014
@SeijiSensei

Lmao, that sounds awful. It's a good thing I'm a subtitles kind of girl. :) Thanks for the info.
Mar 31, 2017 8:58 AM

Oct 2015
Hehe, I found Escaflowne, that I am currently watching and enjoying myself through searching for "shoujo + mecha", and now one of the only two other tagged as such by MAL gets recommended here, too (Magic Knight Rayearth). booking that one now.
----------------

I suggest trying again with "Flip Flappers" - ofc. I can not guarantee that you'll like it, but:
It may or may not be "isekai" - part of its charm to me is that for a good 7 or 8 or so episodes you do not get a statement what it's really all about, how things in the end will fall together or not. So for "no spoilers" I can't tell more.

It is not tagged as "shoujo" (anime original, so ...), but is pretty much exclusively female characters - not for ogling at but for being about girls, and it isn't properly tagged anyways (adventure, mystery, action, psychological ...)
BannoBunka_snorkMar 31, 2017 9:02 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Apr 1, 2017 8:18 AM

May 2012
I'll second Flip Flappers. It's among my top-five shows from 2016. It has a lesbian subtext if that matters to you.
Apr 1, 2017 9:54 AM

Apr 2014
+a no tachiichii ~school girl to a magical world
Apr 1, 2017 8:47 PM

Oct 2014
In your PTW you have to watch Haibane Renmei then.

-
-
-
For something totally out of the blue, silly and a bit naughty (but in a comical way):

Fushigi no Kuni no Miyuki-chan

Essentially it's CLAMP and Madhouse having fun with Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass classics. Addictive music.

Screw the 5.97 rating, I thought it was cute. Some suggestive yuri content but in good fun (but then I am a yuri and CLAMP fan so no surprise I guess).

Only two 15 min episodes.
8oomerApr 1, 2017 8:55 PM
Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

Apr 2, 2017 1:15 AM

Oct 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9760/Hoshi_wo_Ou_Kodomo

Makoto Shinkai's 3rd feature-length film. Not exactly a Shoujo, but it does have a girl as a protagonist and a tiny bit of romance included, something you would expect from him. Spectacular scenery and gorgeous animation.
Apr 2, 2017 2:46 AM

Jun 2014
@BannoBunka_snork @SeijiSensei

I've heard plenty of good things about Flip Flappers, but honestly it just didn't appeal to me. For one thing, I just can't seem to get into Yuri. For another, it has a very different feel to it than the isekai series I've enjoyed, which are mainly from the 90s.

@KazuyaKujo

I dropped that manga a while back. Just not for me, unfortunately.

@8oomer

I'm not particularly keen on Yuri, but I am a CLAMP fan, and it looks like Miyuki-chan might be a whole lotta fun. ^_^
Haibane Renmei, on the other hand, looks pretty heavy, and I'm not really in the mood for that just now. One day, though. One day . . .

@Ace_39

Looks good. I'll definitely check it out.

Amber_ChangingApr 2, 2017 2:55 AM

More topics from this board

» Looking for a non-harem Isekai anime

Michael_Mika - Mar 14

18 by Michael_Mika »»
6 hours ago

» Anime/Manga that revolves around Rain Theem

BroDa2545 - Yesterday

5 by Dizzy-san »»
7 hours ago

» Anime or Manga that kinda sucks but you can't stop watching/reading?

isseixkoneko - Today

10 by Dizzy-san »»
8 hours ago

» Anime/ Manga to binge

theD00mGuy - May 1

7 by mo_lave »»
9 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

29 by LoveYourEyes »»
11 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.