Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 6, 2017 3:26 PM

Sep 2015
Out of all the Tales Of games that I have played, these 2 are definitely my favorites.

Which do you think is better? I'm not saying that either of these may be your favorite, but I want to know how others feel about these games.

I personally prefer Abyss over Symphonia, but I find myself wanting to play Symphonia more since I have replayed Abyss so much.

(You can also say whatever your favorite Tales Of game is and why you think it is better than these if you want.)
FierceDeityLinkFeb 6, 2017 3:45 PM
Feb 6, 2017 4:32 PM

May 2010
Favorite is Xillia 2 right next to Graces f. Abyss is better than Symphonia. Symphonia has better characters and a better world, but Abyss has better everything else so it wins out in the end.
Feb 6, 2017 4:40 PM

Jan 2013
They're both bad.
Feb 6, 2017 4:47 PM

Jan 2008
Abyss simply because the battle system has free run. I enjoyed both games though and Symphonia definitely has my most hours put into a Tales game.
Feb 6, 2017 6:38 PM

Sep 2015
Paul said:
Abyss simply because the battle system has free run. I enjoyed both games though and Symphonia definitely has my most hours put into a Tales game.

It's actually the opposite for me, Abyss has the most hours I have put into a Tales game. If I don't count the time spent on replays, then I spent about 70 hours on my first playthrough of Abyss, and 50 hours on Symphonia.

I just started my second playthrough of Symphonia.
Feb 6, 2017 6:49 PM

Jun 2014
Well, I loved Tales of Symphonia, but I've never played Abyss before, so I can't comment on it.

Feb 6, 2017 6:50 PM

Sep 2015
Thrashinuva said:
Favorite is Xillia 2 right next to Graces f. Abyss is better than Symphonia. Symphonia has better characters and a better world, but Abyss has better everything else so it wins out in the end.

I will admit that I did end up liking every character that joins the team in Symphonia (except for Zelos), but I still like Luke and Tear more than everybody in Symphonia.

Though, I guess 2 characters alone can't outweigh an entire cast.

I also remember being butthurt about Tales of Xillia 2, which was my second Tales Of game, having a new main character(I'm not bothered by it now).
Feb 6, 2017 6:54 PM

Sep 2015
Seiya said:
Well, I loved Tales of Symphonia, but I've never played Abyss before, so I can't comment on it.

I highly recommend it, It's very good!
Feb 6, 2017 7:05 PM

Jan 2008
FierceDeityLink said:
Paul said:

It's actually the opposite for me, Abyss has the most hours I have put into a Tales game. If I don't count the time spent on replays, then I spent about 70 hours on my first playthrough of Abyss, and 50 hours on Symphonia.

I would probably have moure hours on Abyss if I had gotten it first but I got Symphonia back when it first released on the Gamecube with easily over 5 playthroughs.

Bought Symphonia HD a while back but honestly don't even have an hours worth of gameplay on it. The combat just felt too dated after playing Abyss, Grace, Xillia and Zestiria.

And playing Berseria as I type this.
Feb 6, 2017 7:20 PM

Sep 2015
Paul said:
FierceDeityLink said:

I would probably have moure hours on Abyss if I had gotten it first but I got Symphonia back when it first released on the Gamecube with easily over 5 playthroughs.

Bought Symphonia HD a while back but honestly don't even have an hours worth of gameplay on it. The combat just felt too dated after playing Abyss, Grace, Xillia and Zestiria.

And playing Berseria as I type this.

Yeah, I can understand that. I've gotten so used to the newer gameplay that Symphonia actually seems harder than the new games. And because I haven't played it in so long, I forgot that you couldn't free-run, so I sat there hitting random stuff waiting for something to work xD

I feel so behind, I bought Zestiria on release day and I'm just getting around to playing it now(I did add 10 hours on it before I put it off for a year). I also got Berseria already, I'm just waiting until I finish Zestiria.

Hearing all that stuff about it being an average game kinda put me off.
Feb 6, 2017 7:21 PM

May 2010
FierceDeityLink said:
Thrashinuva said:

I will admit that I did end up liking every character that joins the team in Symphonia (except for Zelos), but I still like Luke and Tear more than everybody in Symphonia.

I also remember being butthurt about Tales of Xillia 2, which was my second Tales Of game, having a new main character(I'm not bothered by it now).
Zelos grows on you after a while.

This series will help you get accustomed to Zelos, and Jade if you're not quite into him either (I wouldn't know why, Jade is the best character in the series).
Feb 6, 2017 7:33 PM

Sep 2015
Thrashinuva said:
FierceDeityLink said:

This series will help you get accustomed to Zelos, and Jade if you're not quite into him either (I wouldn't know why, Jade is the best character in the series).

A big reason I didn't like Zelos is because of his country accent in the english translation and I'm not a big fan of womanizers. I do think Zelos is very hilarious though, and I got over his womanizing because it just fit him once I got used to it. So it really just came down to the english VA(back then I didn't know dual audio was even a thing, though, I'm still not sure whether Symphonia even has that option at all).
Feb 6, 2017 7:44 PM

May 2010
FierceDeityLink said:
Thrashinuva said:

A big reason I didn't like Zelos is because of his country accent in the english translation and I'm not a big fan of womanizers. I do think Zelos is very hilarious though, and I got over his womanizing because it just fit him once I got used to it. So it really just came down to the english VA(back then I didn't know dual audio was even a thing, though, I'm still not sure whether Symphonia even has that option at all).
It didn't. Though I could certainly think of worse voice overs around 2003. Symphonia was pretty good for its time, but that just goes to show how far the American voice acting industry has come in even just a decade.

Zelos' JP VA certainly is better, but I'd really have to sit down and compare Jade to be able to rank them. The English VA's in Abyss did a fairly good job.
Feb 6, 2017 7:58 PM

Sep 2015
Thrashinuva said:
FierceDeityLink said:

It didn't. Though I could certainly think of worse voice overs around 2003. Symphonia was pretty good for its time, but that just goes to show how far the American voice acting industry has come in even just a decade.

Zelos' JP VA certainly is better, but I'd really have to sit down and compare Jade to be able to rank them. The English VA's in Abyss did a fairly good job.

Oh yeah, definitely. I didn't really have any problems with the voice acting other than Zelos, but it quit bugging me once I got used to it. I never ended up liking it though(no idea how they thought that suited him).
Feb 6, 2017 8:07 PM
Jul 2018
Tales of the Abyss is the better one, in my opinion, and my absolute favorite Tales Of game!

That said, however, Tales of Xillia is pretty damn good too.

Favorite TotA Characters:

• Luke fon Fabre
  • Tear Grants
  • Jade Curtiss
  • Mieu

Favorite ToX/ToX2 Characters:

• Jude Mathis
  • Milla Maxwell
  • Elize Lutus
  • Rowen J. Illbert
  • Gaius
  • Ludger Will Kresnik
  • Elle Mel Marta

Aaaand before I forget, the following are all the Tales Of games I've played...

• Tales of Symphonia
  • Tales of Graces f
  • Tales of the Abyss (for 3DS)
  • Tales of Xillia
  • Tales of Xillia 2
  • Tales of Zestiria
removed-userFeb 6, 2017 8:32 PM
Feb 6, 2017 8:19 PM

Jun 2014
FierceDeityLink said:
Seiya said:

I highly recommend it, It's very good!

Well, the original Abyss PS2 game can still be had for a good price, so I'll definitely pick it up sometime.

Feb 6, 2017 9:13 PM

Feb 2015
Might buy the GCN version of Symphonia tomorrow, if the store I go to doesn't have Xenogears.
Feb 19, 2017 4:04 PM

Feb 2017
Thrashinuva said:

I was so hyped for Xilla 2. I bought them both. I beat Xilla twice in a row before moving onto Xilla 2. The only thing I really wanted was some updated environments...nope. The backtracking is pretty daunting and I'm not enjoying it as much as I'd hope. But the debt system genuinely intrigued me and of course I like the story.

More topics from this board

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
12 minutes ago

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

55 by BitChilly »»
16 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

524 by SnipeStrike »»
1 hour ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
5 hours ago

» whats your least favorite video game

_spoon_ - Dec 10, 2021

30 by Kajiuran »»
Yesterday, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.