Forum Settings
Forums

Is there a way to both include and exclude some genres in advanced search?

New
Jan 20, 2017 8:16 PM
Jan 2008
I'm looking for some anime to watch, sorted by genre, on MAL but don't seem to have the option include some genres while excluding others. Primarily, I want to include 'romance' while excluding 'harem' but when using advanced search, there's only a drop down to either exclude or include the selected genres. Is this not a feature, or am I missing something?

I saw that the URL changes depending on search preferences, but am not experienced enough to try and make a predictable adjustment to it.
Jan 20, 2017 8:33 PM

Jul 2009
The genre search is designed to be inclusive, not exclusive. If the Action genre is selected, all entries with that genre alone or in combination with others will be included in the results.
On Moderating: Building a more complete anime database.
Spica: Anime, manga, idols.
Jan 20, 2017 8:36 PM

Jan 2008
Sadly you can't, I would say it's one of the biggest flaws in MAL's advance search.

No way around it even messing with the URL since the include and exclude share the same spot in the URL, meaning it's one or the other.
Jan 21, 2017 1:12 AM

Jul 2016
Just set the Genre Filter to "Exclude genres selected" and then check everything except what you want.

So leave Romance unchecked, but check Harem and others you don't want.
Jan 21, 2017 1:18 AM

Oct 2016
IpreferEcchi said:
Just set the Genre Filter to "Exclude genres selected" and then check everything except what you want.

Way hectic, I've faced this problem too. This should be a top-priority feature request.

I have an YT channel where I post music and stuff I like, click here to visit!

Jan 21, 2017 9:39 PM
Jan 2008
IpreferEcchi said:

But I'm not really too picky past being a romance Anime with no Harem. I don't care if it's Sci-fi demons adventuring and fighting with magic while piloting mech suits in the military while suffering psychological damage.

Okay, that's an exaggeration of course, but if any ONE or perhaps TWO of those were included, I would be okay with it, but by leaving all of them unchecked, I get everything from Gundam to Pokemon, few of which have the Romance tag. Taking out too many shows too few results, since anything with the other genres added in are excluded, while leaving too many doesn't show enough Romance options.
Jan 26, 2017 11:55 PM
Mar 2013
Good idea!
Always I use advanced search. I think for me and another users way to create query "Exclude" and "Include" will be usefull.
It's like "Genre in (...) and Genre not in (...)"
Aug 4, 2020 12:12 PM
Jan 2008
3 years and still nothing. I guess it's just too complicated to add this to the website. :(

More topics from this board

» I can't use forums using Windows High Contrast anymore

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

2 by deg »»
15 minutes ago

Sticky: » Inactive Username Request Thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Sep 21, 2015

3372 by GARFIELDD666 »»
5 hours ago

» [Reported] Username being auto-pasted into search bar

DariTheWeeb - Feb 19

49 by DeadPiles »»
9 hours ago

» IP ban glitch?

AverageRiceFan - Apr 21

2 by hich4n_ »»
Yesterday, 12:15 PM

» ishinashi has 300 alt accounts and counting ( 1 2 3 )

deg - Jun 16, 2023

127 by Spunkert »»
Yesterday, 6:05 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.