Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 23, 2017 7:55 PM
Jan 2017
akko is basically harry, lotte is basically ron and sucy is hermonie, anyone who says it isnt a rip off of harry potter is a lying idiot
Jan 24, 2017 8:17 PM

May 2015
LogFront said:
akko is basically harry, lotte is basically ron and sucy is hermonie, anyone who says it isnt a rip off of harry potter is a lying idiot

You're very bad at baiting.

Jan 24, 2017 8:19 PM

May 2015
LoneWizzy said:
Cabron said:
@LoneWizzy What's wrong with the statue scene?.
it was...normal?Unimpressive?Forgetable?

First part of it was heads spinning around and it was so fast that you cant even see anything...Second part was a still image with the hand getting longer...That was the only scene they had to animate and even that had derpy frames...

You literally have to go out of your way to find bad frames and you think the animation is bad? LOL. Nice joke.

Jan 24, 2017 8:26 PM

Jun 2014
This anime could be very ideal if you have friends who have yet to try anime and wants to give the medium a whirl, especialky if they like Disney.
Jan 24, 2017 8:38 PM

Oct 2013
Kagami said:
This anime could be very ideal if you have friends who have yet to try anime and wants to give the medium a whirl, especialky if they like Disney.

Yep, very ideal in making them not attempt to ever watch anime again.
Jan 24, 2017 8:40 PM

Jun 2014
keragamming said:
Kagami said:

What makes you say that? Nothing in this anime appears like that to me.
Jan 24, 2017 8:41 PM

Jan 2015
It's so comfy, man.
Jan 24, 2017 8:55 PM

Jul 2010
Kagami said:
keragamming said:

Don't you worry about Kera's shit taste.
Jan 24, 2017 8:56 PM

Feb 2014
LogFront said:

I'll take a good, fun and well executed ripoff over a mediocre original any day.
And as if J K Rowling didn't ripoff elements from other stories, particularly The Lord of the Rings. The biggest one being the similarity between the Horocrux and the one ring.
Jan 24, 2017 8:58 PM

Jun 2014
Tenth said:
Kagami said:

Thanks for the heads up... I just mean, this anime has a recipe that just screams gateway anime and even for people who dislike anime for taboos and whatever. Its fun for kids and adults alike and even could raise the perception on anime's image.
Jan 24, 2017 8:58 PM

Oct 2013
Tenth said:
Kagami said:

The truth has been spoken.
Jan 25, 2017 2:01 AM

Dec 2015
The art/char design looks like total shit: super ugly. I guess the plot/story and char development is interesting? Maybe I'll give the movie a try first to see if it is okay.
Jan 25, 2017 3:52 AM
Jan 2012
Luthandorius said:
The art/char design looks like total shit: super ugly. I guess the plot/story and char development is interesting? Maybe I'll give the movie a try first to see if it is okay.

Don't - A person of refined tastes such as yourself should drop LWA altogether.
Jan 25, 2017 4:05 AM

Apr 2016
2 amazing high quality movies, dope art work. Characters that are unique and connect with each other. Also reminds me of The Worst Witch show.
Jan 25, 2017 9:46 AM

Jan 2014
Luthandorius said:
Dont...it has fun characters but its plot or character development is close to 0 in OVA and movie...Just wait and watch this instead,this TV series will have much better plot and development than those...

Good thing about this anime is that it has a acharming atmosphere and since it doesnt have drama/gore/fanservice it can be watched by almost everyone and its made by trigger so it has the trigger hype+it has premise close to Harry Potter...Thats why this anime is popular...
Jan 25, 2017 10:28 AM

Dec 2015
I watched the 1st movie now. I don't think the art is super good or something that should be hyped. It is good. But it is "different" (looks more like comic/point & click adventure style - the backgrounds). I'm not that much a fan of such a style in anime.

The char design looks sometimes nice. Sometimes not. (I guess this is one of these cases were it is easier to do more/better animation if the art is less beautiful.) But it was still endurable. Only the girl with glasses was a bit too ugly the others had scenes were they looked okay. (I'm talking mainly about the faces. It's a bit like Mako Mankanshoku style from Kill La Kill and I liked her the least - other chars in that anime looked better.)

But I have to say: The music (and music is important) was nice. They mentioned something about russian orchestra in the ending of the 1st movie lol?

If in the series it was episodic + some deeper background plot (that reveals only in the last 2-3 episodes) it might be okay. Also there seem some other chars (must sound funny when they speak their names I saw they tried different nationalities).

I think I'll give the other movie and maybe the series a try. Since I'm watching too much other stuff I might just watch that other movie and try the series in another season when I don't watch much other airing stuff.

After watching the 1st movie atm it seems good/not bad but I still can't understand why it is hyped. I guess it really is some Trigger-hype-illness lol. Can't really understand all those "Trigger is saving anime" talk when there are lots of other studios that produce good stuff every season.

Edit: And I know that western tv series Oan mentioned (Worst Witch). This was even dubbed in TV in my country and it wasn't that bad. (I liked that more than Harry Potter lol :D ) But the real life girls there looked cuter than the anime art style in Witch academia :D
Jan 25, 2017 10:31 AM

Apr 2016
Kagami said:
Tenth said:

Thanks for the heads up... I just mean, this anime has a recipe that just screams gateway anime and even for people who dislike anime for taboos and whatever. Its fun for kids and adults alike and even could raise the perception on anime's image.

The writing is obviously for kids. So many things happen conveniently to the heroine, you can be sure that if she she falls in a hole, someone or somewhat will just appear to be there to catch her, or the magic will simply work just this time for Atsuko. Deus ex machina every episode, that's far from being ideal for many.

It's ok if you're a kid or simply don't bother this kind of story-telling but the fan-boys should at least admit that this can be off-putting for many adults who looks for something halfway realistic even in a magical world setting (I insist here).

As for me, thanks to this thread I checked the first LWA (mirai) and I found it a lot funnier than the first 3 episodes of the series. So maybe they lost their humor during the years (everybody grows old after all). I hope it will get better later. So far, Only Sucy is "saving anime". If she stays alone, it won't be enough.
Ysad_ZiwezhanJan 25, 2017 10:35 AM
Jan 25, 2017 4:30 PM

Jun 2014
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Kagami said:

The writing is obviously for kids. So many things happen conveniently to the heroine, you can be sure that if she she falls in a hole, someone or somewhat will just appear to be there to catch her, or the magic will simply work just this time for Atsuko. Deus ex machina every episode, that's far from being ideal for many.

It's ok if you're a kid or simply don't bother this kind of story-telling but the fan-boys should at least admit that this can be off-putting for many adults who looks for something halfway realistic even in a magical world setting (I insist here).

As for me, thanks to this thread I checked the first LWA (mirai) and I found it a lot funnier than the first 3 episodes of the series. So maybe they lost their humor during the years (everybody grows old after all). I hope it will get better later. So far, Only Sucy is "saving anime". If she stays alone, it won't be enough.

I don't seek realism in a show/genre that goes against the very idea of our realism in our world and I don't think anybody should. I'm sorry if its taking away from your enjoyment, but I don't really see the issue here. Not every anime needs realism because its a fictional world that plays by its own rules within its world.
Jan 25, 2017 5:20 PM

Apr 2016
Kagami said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I don't seek realism in a show/genre that goes against the very idea of our realism in our world and I don't think anybody should. I'm sorry if its taking away from your enjoyment, but I don't really see the issue here. Not every anime needs realism because its a fictional world that plays by its own rules within its world.

You didn't understand. It's "realistic" to use magic in a magical world. It's not realistic to have a solution to your problem coming out of nowhere, being magic, a classmate, a magic broom, a cannon, a magic wand, ... whatever, on the right place at the last moment, without more justification than a practical "it happened to be there".

It's true, plot convenience is not that much of a problem for children (or for people like me sometimes). Nevertheless you can't say that this show is for every one, it is surely not for adults who don't want a relatively weak and childish story-telling.
Furthermore, you can write a story for children without lazily relying so much on "just because! who cares?". Better story-telling would fit better for adults ... well, for everyone actually. It is just not where they put their efforts apparently, but I don't care much, despite this flaw, the show is nice.
Jan 25, 2017 6:00 PM

Jun 2014
@Ysad_Ziwezhan - I don't get your complaints at all and that's not me being a fanboy, but actually can't find the issue. The problem with you're complaining is you are STILL looking for realism in a show that isn't realistic... LIKE AT ALL! You say its "lazy story writing", but loads of classic cartoons use this sort of writing and they're known as classics: Looney Toons being a great example. Its not lazy writing, but its what this world is and I am sorry its hindering your experience and that's a pity, but its not really a big deal and anyway, you're statement of "better story-telling would fit better for adults and everyone" is clearly incorrect since you are clearly in the miniority.

Anything else?
Jan 26, 2017 4:40 AM
Jul 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
Kagami said:

You didn't understand. It's "realistic" to use magic in a magical world. It's not realistic to have a solution to your problem coming out of nowhere, being magic, a classmate, a magic broom, a cannon, a magic wand, ... whatever, on the right place at the last moment, without more justification than a practical "it happened to be there".

It's true, plot convenience is not that much of a problem for children (or for people like me sometimes). Nevertheless you can't say that this show is for every one, it is surely not for adults who don't want a relatively weak and childish story-telling.
Furthermore, you can write a story for children without lazily relying so much on "just because! who cares?". Better story-telling would fit better for adults ... well, for everyone actually. It is just not where they put their efforts apparently, but I don't care much, despite this flaw, the show is nice.

I was gonna restrain from commenting since @Kagami already seem to have pointed out everything wrong with your argument, but i really have to address how illogical your notion of childish is.
Just because something may be too simplistic and/or not very realistic, doesn't mean it cant be appreciated by a more mature audiance. Just look at Disney for instance, many people (adults included) go out of their way to go and watch a Disney movie. They don't go expecting the most realistic and mature thing from a story-telling standpoint, they go expecting a fun and heartwarming animated movie. And that is exactly what LWA is, a simple yet magical series suitable for all ages.
Jan 26, 2017 4:52 AM

Jun 2014
SeidouTZ said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

I was gonna restrain from commenting since @Kagami already seem to have pointed out everything wrong with your argument, but i really have to address how illogical your notion of childish is.
Just because something may be too simplistic and/or not very realistic, doesn't mean it cant be appreciated by a more mature audiance. Just look at Disney for instance, many people (adults included) go out of their way to go and watch a Disney movie. They don't go expecting the most realistic and mature thing from a story-telling standpoint, they go expecting a fun and heartwarming animated movie. And that is exactly what LWA is, a simple yet magical series suitable for all ages.

Yeah, exactly! Honestly, I am so happy this anime was made because this anime has showcased why anime doesn't need to be a social taboo. The anime is so heartwarming and its so enjoyable and in my opinion does wonders for this medium. Will this anime spark a new era in anime? No.

Will this anime help people unsure with getting into the medium a try? Yes! This anime is special and I am sure of this.
Jan 26, 2017 5:15 AM

Apr 2016
SeidouTZ said:
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:

Well, I do think that a lot of adults don't watch kid shows but maybe I'm wrong and you're right.

Furthermore, I said it already, there are differences in the way the story is written and rely on "coincidences" from one show to another, which means, some kid shows will make it more easily to the adult audience and some will have more problems. It's a matter of balance with other possible strengthes in each anime and ultimately it's a matter of taste of course.

However I wouldn't recommend my adult friends to watch LWA to start again with anime, it's too childish (and not good enough so far, it might change), even if I enjoy it.
Jan 27, 2017 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
SeidouTZ said:

Well, I do think that a lot of adults don't watch kid shows but maybe I'm wrong and you're right.

Furthermore, I said it already, there are differences in the way the story is written and rely on "coincidences" from one show to another, which means, some kid shows will make it more easily to the adult audience and some will have more problems. It's a matter of balance with other possible strengthes in each anime and ultimately it's a matter of taste of course.

However I wouldn't recommend my adult friends to watch LWA to start again with anime, it's too childish (and not good enough so far, it might change), even if I enjoy it.

Just to name a few: Adventure Time, My Little Pony, Steven Universe, Spongebob.. All of this are series that gathered a huge fandom and are beloved by a huge amount of people, adults included. Not to mention that this are series that usually break the "laws of reality" in the regular basis.

In regard to "coincidences", while i can (to a certain extent) understand why you may find this a bit problematic, i think it fits the whole magical theme that the show is trying to portray.

Yes, i'm well aware that will exist a few number of people that will not like LWA regardless. But as a whole, i firmly believe that this is a series that can be enjoyed by everyone from all ages.
removed-userJan 27, 2017 10:13 AM
Jan 28, 2017 10:38 AM
Jun 2016
You can definitely draw similarities between LWA and Harry Potter, but that doesn't mean LWA is a ripoff.
Jan 28, 2017 2:46 PM

May 2010
Okay, I will never get people discussing about animation as if they own the japanese studios but hey, to each their own.

As for why LWA is popular, it has all the elements for it. A magical school, fluid animation, charming characters, fun plot etc.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 9, 2017

152 by LFC123 »»
Mar 21, 1:12 AM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 5, 2017

116 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:57 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 26, 2017

159 by Sr_Caneca »»
Mar 7, 3:42 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2017

310 by HoneyBees91 »»
Feb 28, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Little Witch Academia (TV) Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2017

186 by trueauracoral »»
Feb 18, 7:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.