Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 28, 2016 10:49 AM
Sep 2016
So I've been real tired of the anime romance types where either nothing happens between the characters or the female character is always some helpless type. I really enjoy the romance animes where the female character can actually handle herself and in many cases has a higher status than her male counterpart like she's a warrior or a princess or a diety or even a popular student council something of the sort. Things like:
Chivalry of a Failed Knight
Shakugan No Shana
Familiar of Zero (kinda)
Eureka Seven
Mirai Nikki
*just to name a few that i've seen*

Though I actually enjoy a romance and not just casual flirting or hints and needless harem BS that only teases viewers
any ideas? Sorry I know it might be a lot to ask
Dec 28, 2016 10:54 AM

May 2012
REC
Nodame Cantabile
Junketsu no Maria
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
Saiunkoku Monogatari
Dec 28, 2016 11:24 AM

Apr 2016
Watch Busou Renkin.
Dec 28, 2016 1:05 PM

Dec 2015
Gonna throw a few suggestions. Some aren't completely romance-focused, but they have the element within. I hope you'll be OK with that.

1. Kara no Kyoukai
Really interesting mystery/thriller/supernatural anime consisting of 7 movies. It has its fair share of romance between Shiki and Mikiya, though it's more on the sweet side than the flirty side. Shiki is very strong and independant person, and can come out as complete badass at times, so she won't be your typical "save me" female character.

2. Toradora!
One of my personal top 5 slice of life / romance shows. Toradora! tells about the struggles of Ryuuji and Taiga, two complete opposites who are in love with each other's best friends. Where Ryuuji is mostly kind and responsible person, Taiga is the enbodyment of tsundere-personality. As Taiga and Ryuuji both struggle to express their feelings for their loved ones, they more or less stand on equal ground and help each other as much as is needed to gain the attention of their crush and try to get closer to them.
I'm not completely sure if you'll like this, but try it out. I really did enjoy it and the ending is one of the better endings for romance shows.

3. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime
A fantasy/romance/shoujo show from last year. This is a blind suggestion, but from what I've seen, Shirayuki is rather independent and clever character. The fact that the show is shoujo might make the show a little more enjoyable, as shounen often makes your typical "cool main male lead" and "a girl who needs saving" pairing.

Hope you'll like at least one of those :)
If not, you might wanna go see shows that are classified as "seinen/romance" and "shoujo/romance" because of the usual shounen genre archetype that you hate.
Dec 28, 2016 2:00 PM

May 2012
Iron1047 said:
The fact that the show is shoujo might make the show a little more enjoyable, as shounen often makes your typical "cool main male lead" and "a girl who needs saving" pairing.

Both Shirayuki and Shurrei in Saiunkoku have brief "damsel-in-distress" arcs early in their stories. Happily both of the writers dispense with such nonsense quickly thereafter. Both characters have strong wills and a drive to advance in the world under their own powers.

It almost seemed like the authors, both women, felt they had to include this sub-plot to attract or maintain that part of the audience who expected to see the heroines rescued by their romantic partners.

Saiunkoku is a light novel, so it doesn't fall into the magazine-based categories of shoujo and shounen, but the manga adaptation is officially shoujo.

Nodame can be ditzy at times, but she's a remarkable pianist and cannier than she sometimes appears. Aka in REC aspires to be a voice actress and has the talent to succeed. Maria is a 15th century witch trying to use her magic to bring about an end to the Hundred Years War. Nodame is josei; REC and Junketsu no Maria are seinen. Perhaps that's why the latter two have a bit more ecchi material than the others, though nothing distasteful.
SeijiSenseiDec 28, 2016 2:11 PM
Dec 28, 2016 2:01 PM

Sep 2007
Nodame
Akagami
School Rumble
B Gata H Kei
Nazo no Kanojo
Working
Full Metal Panic
Toradora

and of course ...

Kaichou wa Maid-sama

More topics from this board

» Romance anime with virgin MC and non-virgin heroine.

Tennouji - Apr 17, 2019

11 by kimtgn »»
1 hour ago

» Short Series Recs (12-26 eps).

pludel2 - Yesterday

6 by mo_lave »»
1 hour ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

9 by WitherThrakh »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for trash anime

Ashik01 - May 8

10 by WitherThrakh »»
3 hours ago

» ROMANCE, ROMANCE, ROMANCE!

Maryie - Apr 10, 2019

12 by Af2zl »»
10 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.