Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 15, 2016 8:30 AM

May 2009
What are your first impressions for the newly announced movie "Mary to Majo no Hana" (Mary and the Witch's Flower) being produced by Studio Ponoc alongside former Studio Ghibli artists?

Those with power, fear us! Those without power, seek us!

Code Gamers | Facebook | Twitter
Dec 15, 2016 2:30 PM

Feb 2015
I think it looks amazing from the little we've seen. I've always felt that Hiromasa Yonebayashi was one of the most talented up-and-coming anime directors, so I'm glad to see he hasn't been resting on his laurels since he completed Marnie and left Ghibli. The fact that the staff is largely comprised of such talented Ghibli alumni makes me believe that this is our next "Ghibli" film for all intents and purposes aside from the actual studio producing it. Even the studio itself seems to have been founded by Yoshiaki Nishimura for the sole purpose of spiritually continuing the studio's legacy, as the name "Ponoc" itself literally means "the beginning of a new day."

The animation and music itself both look and sound fantastic, as good as you'd expect from these people. And the story seems like it could be very interesting. So yeah, I absolutely cannot wait for this film!
Dec 15, 2016 2:39 PM

Aug 2015
Woah, I've just seen this and I'm already all hyped ! :D

I liked a lot Arrietty and When Marnie was there, both movies had nice atmospheres, exactly the kind I like, with a bit of fantastic meeting the everyday life. Plus the characters were interesting and had that little something that made them feel quite human and realistic, in a way...

The context reminds me vaguely of The Ancient Magus Bride, with that story of moving in the English contryside and discovering the magic side of the world. (Maybe it's based upon the same book ? :o I wonder. )

And as usual, the animation promises to be freakin' amazing. Also, lots of fantastic creatures, yayz !
The bit of music we can hear sounds pretty nice too, I can't wait to hear the full soundtrack *v*
Dec 15, 2016 4:34 PM

Apr 2012
Sooo many references! I feelt like watching Kiki, Howl, Laputa and Ponyo at the same time, hahaha <3 Looking forward to the release.
Dec 15, 2016 8:44 PM
May 2013
With Miyazaki's retirement and Studio Ghibli's future being so uncertain, this is definitely wonderful news. If Ghibli isn't going to produce any more movies, I sure hope the rest not at Studio Ponoc also set up their own studios. The more the merrier, I say. lol

I'm definitely looking forward to this one. It looks lush, just like all the other Ghibli ones.
Feb 26, 2017 1:23 AM
Sep 2015
I found this anime movie today and I was like 'wow, this looks old.'
But when I saw closely, it said 2017!
Well done Ponoc, you got me!
Feb 28, 2017 4:03 PM

Jan 2012
sad but true

This look like they mashed up all of ghibli's movies on one, so sad they can't do original things without miyazaki :(

Mar 1, 2017 8:33 AM

Feb 2015
Looking forward to this one so much. It looks amazing.

Mar 3, 2017 3:28 PM
Mar 2016
Liao said:
Sooo many references! I feelt like watching Kiki, Howl, Laputa and Ponyo at the same time, hahaha <3 Looking forward to the release.

I felt the same, all Ghibli movies tied into one.
Mar 27, 2017 7:45 PM

Jun 2011
meh. It looks cliched. I'm kind of hoping it has some comedy in it.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Apr 28, 2017 8:24 PM

Apr 2011
Liao said:

There definitely are references to Miyazaki's works in the newest trailer, however I am hopeful that they were tastefully done tributes and that in the next film he makes, Yonebayashi has more original moments, while maintaining what was so well done in Arrietty and When Marnie was There. [and hopefully this film as well.]
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 18, 2017 7:29 AM
Aug 2016
I thought it was a Ghibli.
Jun 22, 2017 12:11 PM
Feb 2017
AllenVonStein said:
sad but true

This look like they mashed up all of ghibli's movies on one, so sad they can't do original things without miyazaki :(

well tbh.. there is alot of story is not originally created by ghibli... some of it from europe novel
if im not mistaken... sorry if im wrong

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mary to Majo no Hana Episode 1 Discussion

Kisaragi - Jul 8, 2017

46 by SlammyHammy »»
Sep 23, 2023 2:38 PM

» Why the low score, relatively speaking?

raspberris - Jan 18, 2018

28 by aku_mado »»
May 29, 2022 5:26 PM

» Framerate "problems"

TetsuoXIII - Apr 12, 2019

3 by Rei_III »»
Jun 5, 2019 11:04 PM

» Saw it - not very good

Angry_Anime_Nerd - Jan 19, 2018

1 by zamandzoe »»
Jan 20, 2018 12:05 PM

» DVD and Blu-Ray release date.

Katsu-kun - Jul 22, 2017

1 by kamigawa »»
Jan 4, 2018 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.