Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2016 4:43 PM

Apr 2013

It is all very confusing... where should i even begin to watch this series?

Which series are worth watching without skipping important connecting plots and which series are standalone (series that are not connecting to any other series or seemingly any other Gundam universe)

When I tried to research this there were plenty of different options.

A. Watch in chronological order (year of release)

B. Watch in chronological order by timeliness (UC, AC, CE, AW, FC, AD)

C. Watch in one of the A or B options but skip a ton of series that aren't worth worthing.

Lot of examples of what other people recommending you to skip:

Oh and please avoid including TV Series/OVA and movie/TV compilation in the same list as I might confuse it as an expansion of the series instead.

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jan 19, 2017 6:51 AM
Nov 2013
Here's the thing about Gundam: you're free to watch in any order you choose, and omit any iteration you like, but only as long as it isn't Universal Century. Within the Universal Century series', I feel the majority of them are necessary to watch in order to fully understand (or enjoy) series' that take place later in the Universal Century timeline. As far as Universal Century shows go, ones that you can safely omit are MS Igloo, The 08th MS Team, and G-Saviour, and I think most would recommend you skip all of those except The 08th MS Team, which I've heard is very good. You could also skip Gundam 0080 and Gundam 0083, but those two are also good, so although they aren't necessary to watch, I think you should still watch them for enjoyment's sake. Also, Gundam Thunderbolt is part of the Universal Century timeline as well, and I think it's worth watching.
But as for the rest of the Gundams, you don't have to worry about what order to watch them in. Although some alternate timelines are said to actually take place far in the future after Universal Century or other timelines, there is little evidence of this in the shows themselves. Turn A Gundam is chronologically the last Gundam series because it takes place after every previous timeline in a new timeline in which humanity has started over, but because a new Gundam series is released every two years or so and will probably continue being released for a long time, it's pointless to wait and watch Turn A last because there will always be a new Gundam coming out, so you can watch it whenever you want, or even not watch it at all. Reconguista in G is also kind of strange: it does take place in an alternate timeline, the Regild Century. But Reconguista in G is, if I remember correctly, directed by the creator of Mobile Suit Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino, who himself said that the Regild Century comes far in the future after Universal Century. So Reconguista in G is technically the latest Gundam show in the Universal Century timeline chronologically, but I still don't think it's necessary to watch, and it has a lot of bad reviews, so you're free to choose for yourself whether you watch it or not, and when you watch it if you do.
I can't really say what to watch or not watch. Just read reviews and summaries if you're thinking about watching a Gundam, and if it interests you, watch it and see for yourself if it's good or not. You might like some of the ones that other people dislike. And like I said, with the spinoff series' it's up to you whether you watch them and when you watch them. If you're watching a Universal Century series, though, just make sure you know when in the timeline the series takes place before you watch it, so you can watch them all in the right order.
Jan 23, 2017 1:10 PM

Apr 2013
GoldenOreo said:
Here's the thing about Gundam: you're free to watch in any order you choose, and omit any iteration you like, but only as long as it isn't Universal Century. Within the Universal Century series', I feel the majority of them are necessary to watch in order to fully understand (or enjoy) series' that take place later in the Universal Century timeline. As far as Universal Century shows go, ones that you can safely omit are MS Igloo, The 08th MS Team, and G-Saviour, and I think most would recommend you skip all of those except The 08th MS Team, which I've heard is very good. You could also skip Gundam 0080 and Gundam 0083, but those two are also good, so although they aren't necessary to watch, I think you should still watch them for enjoyment's sake. Also, Gundam Thunderbolt is part of the Universal Century timeline as well, and I think it's worth watching.
But as for the rest of the Gundams, you don't have to worry about what order to watch them in. Although some alternate timelines are said to actually take place far in the future after Universal Century or other timelines, there is little evidence of this in the shows themselves. Turn A Gundam is chronologically the last Gundam series because it takes place after every previous timeline in a new timeline in which humanity has started over, but because a new Gundam series is released every two years or so and will probably continue being released for a long time, it's pointless to wait and watch Turn A last because there will always be a new Gundam coming out, so you can watch it whenever you want, or even not watch it at all. Reconguista in G is also kind of strange: it does take place in an alternate timeline, the Regild Century. But Reconguista in G is, if I remember correctly, directed by the creator of Mobile Suit Gundam, Yoshiyuki Tomino, who himself said that the Regild Century comes far in the future after Universal Century. So Reconguista in G is technically the latest Gundam show in the Universal Century timeline chronologically, but I still don't think it's necessary to watch, and it has a lot of bad reviews, so you're free to choose for yourself whether you watch it or not, and when you watch it if you do.
I can't really say what to watch or not watch. Just read reviews and summaries if you're thinking about watching a Gundam, and if it interests you, watch it and see for yourself if it's good or not. You might like some of the ones that other people dislike. And like I said, with the spinoff series' it's up to you whether you watch them and when you watch them. If you're watching a Universal Century series, though, just make sure you know when in the timeline the series takes place before you watch it, so you can watch them all in the right order.

Thanks for the reply. Very insightful. I'll definitely watch this soon, i just need to remember which hard drive i transferred my files to now... hehe.

Jan 24, 2017 2:51 AM
Nov 2013
No problem. Sorry it was so long!
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Gunpla thread

Baman - Sep 12, 2011

8 by jm0nk3y77 »»
Apr 29, 2023 8:03 PM

» Which character do you hate the most??

anuses - Sep 26, 2014

30 by Ushiwa915 »»
Aug 24, 2022 6:42 AM

» Gundam a deeper meaning.

geppe - Jul 26, 2015

4 by mischlef »»
Jul 25, 2021 7:34 AM

» Favorite Gundam Males

hartschaotica - Dec 30, 2010

13 by LeonhartAugust »»
Jul 23, 2021 12:59 PM

» Best Gundam Couples ( 1 2 )

Darkerangel - Nov 13, 2010

58 by Darkerangel »»
Jan 2, 2021 7:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.