Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Dec 3, 2016 3:32 PM

Dec 2015
I am reading the light novel after having watched the anime when it was first airing. I thought the show was deeply flawed but loved the set-up and characters.

Reading the beginning of the light novel I'm already seeing a huge amount of contradictions. For example;
- In the light novel it specifically says that Albedo is one of the weaker "combat NPCs" , who is vastly outclassed by Sebas and of course, Shalltear... later we find out that Pandora's Actor could easily defeat Albedo. In the anime it is outright stated in no uncertain terms "Albedo, the most powerful NPC in Nazarick" which flies in the face of what is stated in the light novel.

- In the light novel, Momonga , before becoming Ainz Ooal Gown, still retains a lot of his humanity and it begins to decay. I haven't read very far into it but it seems clear to me that he becomes more monstruous and evil as the story progresses. In the anime he seemed pretty much human from beginning to end with no real lapses into "Evil" territory except maybe killing that one adventurer in episode 12 ish.

- In the light novel, Albedo moves her wings a lot.
In the anime she doesn't.

- In the light novel, it is basically stated that he gives the Ring of Ainz Ooal Gown to his guardians .... basically to use them. There was no altruism, he was using them to make it harder for him to be tracked.
In the anime, if this is the case, I didn't notice. I've watched the anime multiple times and didn't catch anything like that. It seems like he legitimately wanted to give the guardians easier access to Nazarick's floors.

- In the light novel, Victim is mentioned very early and implied to be very dangerous. I don't remember him getting mentioned until the very end....

I guess I could go on and on, but my question is, why did they do these things? Overlord is one of my favorite animes, despite being a guilty pleasure but there was real potential for it to be sometihng absolutely magnificent. Why stray from that? I honestly , 100% no troll, don't understand why they did these things.
Dec 6, 2016 10:53 AM

Nov 2013
Would anime quality improve if things mentioned above was in included in anime for non LN readers? It was prob easier to do this way considering they had only 13ep time. Maybe they gonna fix it in recap movies

I didnt read volume 1, started from 2, but for me it looked like LN and Anime aizn was pretty much at same level of "evilness" just anime didnt made big deal of it.
"Yesterday's enemy is somehow... today's enemy as well..."
-Gintama
Dec 6, 2016 11:12 AM

Sep 2013
Most likely because nobody expected the anime to be a hit and didn't get much time/budget put into it either.
Nothing will be a 1:1 adaption, there will be differences since the director/producer changes somethings, like ainz is a 8-10 foot giant in the anime to emphasize his dominance while he's normal sized in the novel.

I think they realized their mistakes thou since the movies will remake them.
Dec 6, 2016 6:07 PM

Dec 2015
ichii_1 said:

I think they realized their mistakes thou since the movies will remake them.

Movies? plural?!

I thought only one movie was in the works. I would be very pleased if many were being produced.
Dec 11, 2016 6:34 PM

Jul 2015
1. dunno where ur get "Albedo strongest" stuff. is stated strongest in defense she is, but definily no strongest overall. Shalltear stronkest guardian. Rubedo stronkest in nazarick

2. ainz have absolutely zero care to ppls outside nazarick. new world ppls he not sure if real or still in-game, so slaughter when he feels is necessary.

3. lol studio saving budget for one punch man.

4. victim is lower level relative to other major npc's, but he can apparenly sacrifice himself for activate unknown effect. is supposedly stopped players raid into nazarick before, so must be very stronk effect.
he prob not mentioned at all bc, need to compress 3 volumes worth of content into anime adaptation, which only 13 have episod.
it's also why scene in pandora actor episode, skipped cz delta.

tl;dr
budget & time constraints
Dec 11, 2016 8:51 PM

Jun 2012
My only wish is that the remake(movies) will also include Nigredo's Violent Introduction.
Dec 28, 2016 9:59 PM

Dec 2015
Salvatia said:
1. dunno where ur get "Albedo strongest" stuff.

Overlord anime, episode 1.

More topics from this board

» Why do people still think the MC is trapped in a video game? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Mar 18

51 by littlerocketman »»
Yesterday, 10:37 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

432 by RayousSR »»
Apr 24, 4:55 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2015

283 by RayousSR »»
Apr 23, 12:28 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

239 by RayousSR »»
Apr 22, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.