Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 11, 2016 7:14 PM

Aug 2012
(new thread since we just hijacked an old, necro'd one before)

@Vatril, @Playbahnosh, and myself are feeling ambitious, and are looking to build a team with the goal of creating an VN eventually. Of course, that is the eventual goal, and we understand that it won't simply happen just like that because we assembled a team of interested parties.

We're looking to recruit members to tinker around, chat, and build dynamic as a team, all the while working toward the kind of VN/OELVN project we will eventually pursue.

So if you're interested in coding, art/design, writing, or just idea bouncing and organization, let us know and we can toss you an invite to our Slack team chat.
Sep 11, 2016 11:54 PM

Sep 2014
Indeed. There is commitment yet, we are still in the "tossing around ideas" phase, so if you wanna butt in, just say the word. Programming and graphics design will be the most important, but if you wanna do some scenario writing, character design or help me with the music and sound, all are welcome.
"You know, when people make you feel angry or sad, it's usually because it matters to you what they think. The opposite of love isn't hate, it's apathy. Face it, if you didn't care about what they thought, you wouldn't hate them..." ~Planetes
Sep 12, 2016 12:34 AM

Oct 2015
I have a story im developing here if it helps, i also need feedback on it if you will.

Prologue:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r7Vco-Gx78w7m-J1ShDFJTY4t-bg6rTA68k_6Kjb_rg

Chapter 1 (still WIP):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ybv23NfPCGKBiqKHoyUu1HzBW_iK9aQoUpG-yi8GXmw/edit?usp=sharing
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Sep 14, 2016 11:44 AM

Aug 2012
@KINGUBERMENSCH I think you need to take a good look at your prose. (having only read the prologue) it reads as an intro at the start of a tv series like Avatar or something, which imo doesn't have any place in written work. I should also mention, the amount of in-verse terms you drop in quick succession will put readers off, especially since they seem to jump from concept to concept without allowing the reader to fully understand them. The thematic prowess and worldbuilding could be good, but I think you need to work on giving a clearer picture of things before you delve too deep into those matters.

~~~~~~~~

Btw, here's my current work for anyone interested in looking at styles to potentially work with(plus I also need some damn feedback). /bump n' plug

PS: We really need an artist...or two ;)
AlexTheRiotSep 14, 2016 11:47 AM
Sep 14, 2016 12:30 PM
Jul 2018

Your story is interesting, although it needs editing. I don't think it would work though as these guys are experimenting and doing stuff with little to no experience. (Not firing shots at a rival .-. I was originally just going to say it was interesting)

Anyways OP, I can come up with a story if you want.
removed-userSep 14, 2016 5:17 PM
Sep 14, 2016 4:39 PM

Oct 2015
AlexTheRiot said:
@KINGUBERMENSCH I think you need to take a good look at your prose. (having only read the prologue) it reads as an intro at the start of a tv series like Avatar or something, which imo doesn't have any place in written work. I should also mention, the amount of in-verse terms you drop in quick succession will put readers off, especially since they seem to jump from concept to concept without allowing the reader to fully understand them. The thematic prowess and worldbuilding could be good, but I think you need to work on giving a clearer picture of things before you delve too deep into those matters.

~~~~~~~~

Btw, here's my current work for anyone interested in looking at styles to potentially work with(plus I also need some damn feedback). /bump n' plug

I see, thanks for the feedback! Yeah imagined it as more of the start to a tv show rather than a book, can you tell me why thats bad? I honestly dont know why.

Senpaoi said:

Your story is interesting, although it needs editing. I don't think it would work though as these guys are experimenting and doing stuff with little to no experience. (Not firing shots at a rival .-. I was originally just going to say it was interesting)

Anyways OP, I can come up with a story if you want. Add me on Skype: brianmichaelbaumann. We can discuss it.

Can you tell me why it wouldnt work if you will? I know its not finished but...
The peasant is bound by the king. The king is bound by the peasants and their kingdom. But the Viking is bound to nothing but themselves.

Sep 14, 2016 4:52 PM
Jul 2018
KINGUBERMENSCH said:
AlexTheRiot said:

~~~~~~~~

I see, thanks for the feedback! Yeah imagined it as more of the start to a tv show rather than a book, can you tell me why thats bad? I honestly dont know why.

Senpaoi said:

Anyways OP, I can come up with a story if you want. Add me on Skype: brianmichaelbaumann. We can discuss it.

Multiple reasons.

1. This one is just my opinion, but it won't be relatable. "Humanity will, at long last, be free of the chains it imposed on itself." Most people don't understand the feeling of being locked down. The phrase itself sounds strong, but it won't have any meaning. A better way of going about it would be to have a lockdown as a plot twist. When everyone is happy, they've freed themselves from small chains, but they lose hope all over again.

2. "Great Otherworldly Domination" sounds too fishy. It's not something humans would name aliens. Maybe have a backstory of a certain country discovering the aliens and hence the name originating from a different language. "G.O.D." though? Eh, no.

3. "Deum, the manifestations of defeatism and fear within a man, attacked humanity long ago and made them slaves." Once again, something that sounds strong, but doesn't mean anything. If you have characters that you love and then some event happens, causing fear to manifest itself into Deum. (Honestly, the whole concept doesn't make sense.)

4. Er, if you're doing military, don't have a 7ft tall, muscular man as the main character. Once again, not relatable. Not sure who the audience is, but it's definitely not basketball players dreaming to be military leaders.

I could go on.

If you do select me as the writer, I would like to work with @KINGUBERMENSCH. His ideas are interesting, and I feel like we could come up with something good together. (Also, I don't really want to type .-. I like explaining my ideas to people, they write it, and I edit... So I really want him lol.)
removed-userSep 14, 2016 5:17 PM
Sep 14, 2016 8:35 PM

Feb 2015
King thought your story was super creepy! But interesting too. It reminded me of like King in Yellow and other of those kinds of stories.

I did think it was more like a book/novel, less like a VN though which is what I think what people were suggesting slightly...

Anyway, OP do you want to share more about your idea? Like maybe just a general theme or if not of course that's ok.

I started a VN some time ago and it's kind of just sort of anime-ish, basically it's the vampire story sort of deal =-), but with enough twists maybe to keep it interesting... perhaps.

I'm just wondering if it's something where maybe I could find the idea interesting or if you guys are already at that stage and more down to things like art/etc.
Sep 15, 2016 7:41 PM

Aug 2012
Kefka1134 said:
King thought your story was super creepy! But interesting too. It reminded me of like King in Yellow and other of those kinds of stories.

I did think it was more like a book/novel, less like a VN though which is what I think what people were suggesting slightly...

Anyway, OP do you want to share more about your idea? Like maybe just a general theme or if not of course that's ok.

I started a VN some time ago and it's kind of just sort of anime-ish, basically it's the vampire story sort of deal =-), but with enough twists maybe to keep it interesting... perhaps.

I'm just wondering if it's something where maybe I could find the idea interesting or if you guys are already at that stage and more down to things like art/etc.

As in, you started writing/creating a VN? Or...reading?

We're still in the deliberation process as far as story goes, we just know that it's going to be limited to a small scale setting and interface, and probably focus more on engaging story/ game dynamics than world building.
Sep 15, 2016 9:41 PM

Feb 2015
AlexTheRiot said:
Kefka1134 said:

As in, you started writing/creating a VN? Or...reading?

We're still in the deliberation process as far as story goes, we just know that it's going to be limited to a small scale setting and interface, and probably focus more on engaging story/ game dynamics than world building.

Writing/creating, a number o set choices and all that stuff...

Hmmm.... engaging story/game dynamics sounds like you are making it like a proper in depth VN like VLR and all that it's fair to say? Maybe even puzzles and such..?
Sep 15, 2016 11:24 PM

Aug 2012
@Kefka1134 Very interesting, doing it all by yourself?

Potentially a spin of dungeon crawler-esque puzzles within a limited setting, or something in that(very broad) realm. But note that my usage of game dynamics =/= gameplay in a sense you might be thinking. Something along the lines of Analogue: A Hate Story, as an example.
Sep 16, 2016 3:10 AM

Jan 2014
Sounds kind of fun!

I know C++ and Python and have experience in creating software, though nothing like a VN. I'd be happy to see if I can help if you're looking for a programmer.
Sep 16, 2016 11:54 AM

Oct 2015
Senpaoi said:
KINGUBERMENSCH said:

Multiple reasons.

1. This one is just my opinion, but it won't be relatable. "Humanity will, at long last, be free of the chains it imposed on itself." Most people don't understand the feeling of being locked down. The phrase itself sounds strong, but it won't have any meaning. A better way of going about it would be to have a lockdown as a plot twist. When everyone is happy, they've freed themselves from small chains, but they lose hope all over again.

2. "Great Otherworldly Domination" sounds too fishy. It's not something humans would name aliens. Maybe have a backstory of a certain country discovering the aliens and hence the name originating from a different language. "G.O.D." though? Eh, no.

3. "Deum, the manifestations of defeatism and fear within a man, attacked humanity long ago and made them slaves." Once again, something that sounds strong, but doesn't mean anything. If you have characters that you love and then some event happens, causing fear to manifest itself into Deum. (Honestly, the whole concept doesn't make sense.)

4. Er, if you're doing military, don't have a 7ft tall, muscular man as the main character. Once again, not relatable. Not sure who the audience is, but it's definitely not basketball players dreaming to be military leaders.

I could go on.

If you do select me as the writer, I would like to work with @KINGUBERMENSCH. His ideas are interesting, and I feel like we could come up with something good together. (Also, I don't really want to type .-. I like explaining my ideas to people, they write it, and I edit... So I really want him lol.)

@Senpaoi Sorry for the wait, and yep you can work with me! I also have another named @Sora_92 .
He has helped me form alot of my story both on what ive written and what i have not written. To answer your questions (I have to make this brief though, i got uni in 5 mins.)

1. What do you mean by that last part?
2. Probably a big spoiler, but their not ailiens, they are spirits (for lack of a better term.) that represent Fear, Defeatism, and despair in an individual. And whats wrong with G.O.D?
3.Ill explain the whole concept to you later.
4.Whats wrong with that?

To give you a better picture, im going for a Gurren Lagann kind of feel.
Kefka1134 said:

Im going fora story that talks about the themes of master/slave morality as shown here:

Sep 16, 2016 12:28 PM

May 2014
Sure I dont mind helping out with ideas and feedback, maybe some dialogue here and there if you need it.
Just pm me whatever you want
I've been here way too long...
Sep 16, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 2015
I'm interested.

But the thing is, I'm going to university next month so I don't think I'll have much time after that. I should still be able to help though.

I'm more interested in the writing and perhaps learning how to code.
Wohooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Sep 16, 2016 5:07 PM

Feb 2015
AlexTheRiot said:
@Kefka1134 Very interesting, doing it all by yourself?

Potentially a spin of dungeon crawler-esque puzzles within a limited setting, or something in that(very broad) realm. But note that my usage of game dynamics =/= gameplay in a sense you might be thinking. Something along the lines of Analogue: A Hate Story, as an example.

Yeah, although in my case it's more emphasis on world/characters and stuff like that, less complicated in-depth puzzles and all that, maybe hardly any. The only thing I'm doing is the ideas, some art (and I'm not really that great at that part, to be honest) and just decisions/choices basically.

I've honestly had a lot of different ideas, but yeah it's basically designed to be just as cheesy fun/silly as any vampire riff, lots of arrogant but simultaneously delicate personalities =-)

I've never really made a VN or anything before so it's kind of been a learning process, but sort of fun too.

More topics from this board

» [UserScript] MAL Full Watching History

NurarihyonMaou - Aug 15, 2021

22 by NubFix »»
7 hours ago

» Made An Anime Youtube Video thoughts?

panque - Apr 23

3 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 11:11 AM

» Show us your latest sketch or drawing v.2 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Feb 21, 2017

1630 by renzospark »»
Yesterday, 5:03 AM

» I invite you to my stream channel

Chadoumaru - Apr 28

0 by Chadoumaru »»
Apr 28, 6:52 PM

» Kiseki Sorter

Shizuna - Apr 28

1 by Luc36 »»
Apr 28, 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.