Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 31, 2016 10:06 AM

Aug 2016
I care little about scores, but I think that they are totally useless without a frame of reference.
A 7 given by an user with a mean score of 8 hold a different value from a 7 given by someone with a mean score of 4.
If I want to know the mean score of the reviewer I have to click on its name.
It would be useful to have the mean score in the review, for a quick reference.
Aug 31, 2016 10:14 AM

Dec 2012
seems pointless when their mean score is just one click away now.
Aug 31, 2016 10:00 PM

Aug 2016
OP makes a good point, this is why the score system is a flop. It should be replaced with something simpler like a thumbs up/down, or love/like/neutral/hate. No need to have ten different choices. Not to mention if decide to adjust your method of rating later then it will take a lot of time changing the rating you left on everything if you've seen a lot of anime.
Aug 31, 2016 11:17 PM

Oct 2014
@rockshardPhD I think the love/like/neutral/hate system should be an addition to the system rather than a replacement for it. Users could still rate anime out of ten your four point system could just be for reviews.
Sep 1, 2016 5:29 AM

Oct 2015
I like OP's idea.
Particularly for realatively high or low ratings, this would give me a better idea what to expect from a review.
If it were a value retrieved only once and then glued onto that review, then it should also not be too much strain on MAL's server(s) or such.

tsudecimo said:
seems pointless when their mean score is just one click away now.

Wut ? How is that an argument ? Everything always is "just one click away", so we should not have any information on any website ?
Morevover, OP's suggestion would have the mean score for every reviewer present right next to their score for the anime/manga in question, which is very, very different from me calling some ten profiles just to see their mean score. For manga a user may even have to scroll down every time. It would probably be faster to just full-on read all (or first ten) reviews.

One click away is the opposite of instant information.

rockshardPhD said:
OP makes a good point, this is why the score system is a flop. It should be replaced with something simpler like a thumbs up/down, or love/like/neutral/hate. No need to have ten different choices. Not to mention if decide to adjust your method of rating later then it will take a lot of time changing the rating you left on everything if you've seen a lot of anime.

For me I often click "detailed rating" for decision-making, if I want to read a review - to see if their raiting of, say, 8 is made from 8,8,8,8,8 or from, say, 6,9,7,7,9. The latter makes me think the reviewer may have a more differentiated view on things, so I likely will prefer to read into that review.

Were there only thumbs up or down, then both those reviews wouls have all thumbs up, so less information.

But the OP here wants to ADD information, so unless it'd be done zombie_pegasus's way - additional thumbs, which could achieve roughly the same as what OP requests - I think your suggestion is misplaced in this topic.
OP's suggestion would (could) also work for reviews already there, whereas additional thumbs-up/down would (hopefully) be for new reviews only.
BannoBunka_snorkSep 1, 2016 5:32 AM
*darn, using my right hand is off-limits for a while. Typing with my left hand only is ... eww.*
Sep 1, 2016 5:41 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Makes sense, though in that case I'd say it'd be better to just remove scores from reviews altogether instead since they do nothing but give people the wrong idea a lot of the time, not to mention some people just look at the scores rather than actually reading the text
Sep 1, 2016 7:28 AM

Feb 2010
I don't see the issue with just clicking on their name to check out the mean score if you care about it. I mean if we start including things of secondary importance like that in reviews we might as well include a little biography that explains their cultural background, how they got into anime and what their general taste is like, which resolution they watch. Those are all things that are potentially important to really understand the context of a review. But they're not part of the review, just like the users mean score isn't part of the review.

I am a general fan of putting peoples scores in context by using their mean score but a suggestion to weigh scores like this to make the actual average score more accurate was rejected by the majority of the community a while ago. That shows me that the majority of people here do not care about the context of a rating in relation to the users mean score. If you combine that with the fact that it's a minimal change only based on the laziness of not wanting to make one more click, and not something that really adds new functionality to the site, I don't think it's an issue of much importance. Personally I'd rather the developers spend their time on other things.
I probably regret this post by now.
Sep 1, 2016 8:47 AM

Aug 2016
The system seems fine as it is in my opinion. You can tell a lot about how serious the review is based on the first few sentences. As stated before, there are many people who don't even read the reviews, but rather allows their opinion to be dictated by a score. By implementing such a system that also shows the mean score in addition to the score of the anime, less people are inclined to reading the effort some people may have put into their reviews. Generally speaking, the "Helpful" buttton allows us to see which reviews are worth reading. Though I understand this isn't always the case.

Furthermore, I don't believe the mean score reflects how much a person has matured. Had I watched a few of the animes that I scored based on my past, with the mentality that I had right now, my professionality would vastly be different. If I started writting reviews, I would rather not be judged off of my past, but rather, the me that is now.
MyDistanceSep 1, 2016 9:19 AM
Sep 1, 2016 9:10 AM

Aug 2016
I clocked me while opening user profiles to see their mean score.
There were 3-5 seconds to load the page, then I often had to scroll the page to view the mean score. Then I had to come back to the review page.
To do this with 4 users I wasted 1 minute and 8 (not one) clicks.

While my connection sucks these days I'm sure there are users whose connection always suck, so they would be glad to not have to open a new page everytime they read a review.
And clicking, scrolling and coming back is not a quick thing even with a good connection.

Pullman said:
I mean if we start including things of secondary importance like that

Mean score isn't of secondary importance, unless you think that also the score review is of secondary importance.

The problem is simple: some users (me inlcuded) use the scores like school grades, so scores below 5 are used very rarely. Nobody wants to know exactly how much a show sucks.
Other users think "Why don't we use all the available scores ?"
So without knowing if the reviewer uses a 5-10 scale or a 1-10 scale is impossible to know what the vote means.

Scores could be of little importance, but I think that having a score of poor importance (with the mean score) is still better that having a score that means nothing (without the mean score)
Sep 1, 2016 9:56 AM

Aug 2016
Also I would like to add one more thing. I believe that the mean score and a review, are comparatively two very different things. Very, very few people will write a review for every anime they had seen. Often times they would just give the anime a score based on their overall conclusion. Upon coming across an anime that the viewer wants to be more vocal about, they will write a review. While in that state, the reviewer is given more time to fully reflect on what was done right, and what was done wrong. The score of the review, will likely be different than if they were to score the anime immediately. Naturally, their mean score would not reflect that.
Sep 1, 2016 6:18 PM

Aug 2016
BannoBunka_snork said:

rockshardPhD said:

For me I often click "detailed rating" for decision-making, if I want to read a review - to see if their raiting of, say, 8 is made from 8,8,8,8,8 or from, say, 6,9,7,7,9. The latter makes me think the reviewer may have a more differentiated view on things, so I likely will prefer to read into that review.

Were there only thumbs up or down, then both those reviews wouls have all thumbs up, so less information.

"information"

It's not. It's just abstract numbers. The difference between one person's 6 and another's 7 comes down to the subjective interpretation that both users were merely forced to make when you hand them a review scale such as this. That's the same as if we all started making up our own definitions for words. Those words no longer qualify as "information". It becomes a communication failure and you are praising it when you should be condemning it. The fact that we need to introduce a mean score on every review just proves my point that a 10 point rating scale just results in is getting farther away from the reviewer's true intention, rather than closer to it.

When I rate an anime a 7 I don't want it to mean what you think 7 means, I want it to mean what I think 7 means
. So it's impossible for me to rate anything unless I purposefully want to convey false information, which defeats the point of me providing a rating in the first place.
rockshardPhDSep 1, 2016 6:25 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
Yesterday, 9:57 PM

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.