Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 26, 2016 11:13 PM

Jan 2012
Once the movie was over I just keep questioning if Sophia ever returned to normal to begin with. I mean, neither her or anyone else mentioned that it was gone when she suddenly was at one second back to normal and in the next back to an old lady. Was the moments when she turned back to normal just some kind of mask for the sake of the viewers or was the curse slowly dissapearing? I don"t get it at all...
How I love a game
Aug 27, 2016 1:10 AM

Nov 2015
This movie was horrible and yet it has a high score. The film glosses over the explanation with only a few hints, but it's explained properly in the original novel by Dianne Wynn-Jones (and its sequels). The Witch of the Waste's curse was only short-term, and wore off very early on. The reason Sophie didn't recover was because
she herself had undiscovered magic talent, and was staying in the form of an old woman because she kept thinking of herself as such. She tended to revert whenever she wasn't thinking of herself that way - such as when she slept or when she was too focused on telling Madame Solomon off (and hence was thinking more of Howl).

"The longer you live, the more you realize that reality is just made of pain, suffering, and emptiness." -Madara Uchiha
Aug 27, 2016 5:42 AM

Jan 2012
RealPikaman1 said:
This movie was horrible and yet it has a high score. The film glosses over the explanation with only a few hints, but it's explained properly in the original novel by Dianne Wynn-Jones (and its sequels). The Witch of the Waste's curse was only short-term, and wore off very early on. The reason Sophie didn't recover was because
she herself had undiscovered magic talent, and was staying in the form of an old woman because she kept thinking of herself as such. She tended to revert whenever she wasn't thinking of herself that way - such as when she slept or when she was too focused on telling Madame Solomon off (and hence was thinking more of Howl).

I see, if the story was based of a novel it kind of make sense that it would not be so informant, but seriously to such a degree? A guess this movie was one of mizazakis less finest works.. He is still great though
How I love a game
Nov 3, 2018 2:57 PM

Apr 2017
Zack312 said:
RealPikaman1 said:

I see, if the story was based of a novel it kind of make sense that it would not be so informant, but seriously to such a degree? A guess this movie was one of mizazakis less finest works.. He is still great though
I did read a part in the end where it says "based on the novel...etc" so they based everything from there!
Dec 13, 2018 9:33 PM

Apr 2011
RealPikaman1 said:

I feel like the ambiguity was a great choice. I inferred by the end that the curse was based on her own insecurities. She appeared the way she felt, and her love interest managed to see past that. I really enjoyed the movie and think it stood very well on its own.

It's very common for people who read the source material to complain about x being left out, but I think that the way it was adapted was incredible. The amount of content that was shown visually instead of told, is stupendous. The complexity of the visuals is something that I'm not sure could have been captured in book form, but I'd be pleasantly surprised if that indeed happened. If you think back on this movie, they never really said much about the curse at all, or about each of their conflicts, or about the war, about much of it. So much was shown visually, with very little verbal cues, I really have to tip my hat to the director ;)

This is the first Miyazaki/Ghibli film i've seen in a decade, and even then I've only seen Spirited Away (dubbed and in pieces). I plan to watch more of his films just because of how much of a reputation he has, and if this is one of his lesser works (which many say otherwise) then I'm excited to see what's in store!
Dec 17, 2018 1:46 PM

Aug 2017

RealPikaman1 said:
This movie was horrible and yet it has a high score.

Gotta wonder what's wrong with you if you call this movie 'horrible'. If you call it that just because it wasn't a copy of the novel, then you are dumb for those expectations. As a film on its own Howl is a masterpiece.
Dec 18, 2018 9:20 PM

Nov 2015
deadprez said:

RealPikaman1 said:

Gotta wonder what's wrong with you if you call this movie 'horrible'. If you call it that just because it wasn't a copy of the novel, then you are dumb for those expectations. As a film on its own Howl is a masterpiece.
I didn't like it and I probably won't rewatch it anytime soon

"The longer you live, the more you realize that reality is just made of pain, suffering, and emptiness." -Madara Uchiha
Jan 23, 2019 3:01 PM

Mar 2018
RealPikaman1 said:

Its not horrible but its mediocre as hell. Deserves the same ratings as Uchiage Hanabi IMO.
Apr 18, 2019 9:23 AM
Jan 2018
Zack312 said:
Once the movie was over I just keep questioning if Sophia ever returned to normal to begin with. I mean, neither her or anyone else mentioned that it was gone when she suddenly was at one second back to normal and in the next back to an old lady. Was the moments when she turned back to normal just some kind of mask for the sake of the viewers or was the curse slowly dissapearing? I don"t get it at all...

I now it's old thread but it looks like at the end yes she did turn back to normal but her hair changed to white
Apr 18, 2020 1:53 PM
Oct 2019
deadprez said:

RealPikaman1 said:

I totally agree with you, this is lowkey one of the best Miyazaki's movies, If not the best. A masterpiece.
I got so pissed off when I got here to see the comments and found many people talking bad about it, but I'm glad I found someone other than me that said it right ❤️ I rewatched the movie just now and I know I'll do that more and more in the future

More topics from this board

Poll: » Howl no Ugoku Shiro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Cele - Dec 3, 2009

164 by gannoncannon55 »»
Mar 22, 11:00 PM

» Can someone explain why Sophie felt the need to destroy Howl's Castle?

Golden_Cheese - May 29, 2023

10 by voltaxx123 »»
Jan 22, 11:21 AM

» How was Sophie able to venture into Howl's past? Why did that black door appear?

Golden_Cheese - May 30, 2023

5 by namazuFish »»
Jun 3, 2023 1:29 AM

» Im so confused

_txhsin__ - Apr 3, 2023

5 by Dazaihah »»
Apr 5, 2023 6:03 AM

» Is it because of the animation?

Bogenvilia - Jan 12, 2022

31 by Asudox »»
Oct 7, 2022 1:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.