Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 12, 2016 4:50 PM

May 2015
What got me interested in this manga in the first place was hearing that the main character had OCD. Not like Death the Kid in Soul Eater, where it's made fun of, but actual OCD. If you have actual OCD and not OCD tendencies (what makes it a disorder is that you can't function properly), then you'll know how rare it is to see an accurate portrayal of OCD in the media. So many groups of people are inaccurately portrayed in the media, and it gets to the point where you don't even get mad anymore, some people (myself included) just shrug and begrudgingly accept that it's going to be portrayed that way. Hearing this had a more realistic portrayal is what got me interested. I didn't care if it was yaoi or yuri or whatever. The idea of an accurate portrayal, in a manga of all things, was what made me want to read it.
So my question is to those of you with OCD. While we don't all have mysophobia, we definitely know the emotional turmoil that this disorder can cause. So many people say "I'm a little OCD" and don't get the actual implications of that sentence. I generally think people who say "I have OCD" like it's the common cold wouldn't last a day in my shoes. Some of us have gotten more help than others, some of us have had to deal with it on our own, some of us have gotten help early on, and others didn't get help until we ended up in the hospital. I can still vividly remember when I was a young child, washing my hands as my siblings waiting for me in the car to drive to our grandmother's house. I couldn't stop washing my hands despite wanting to go with them. I didn't want to bother them by making them wait. Eventually I just collapsed onto the ground and started screaming.
While OCD is generally something that's not "triggered", I hesitantly accepted that this was the case with Shirotani. He probably had the disorder and it would have shown up eventually, and he probably would have been able to get decent help with his father by his side, but he had a traumatic experience that made it come on earlier. That sometimes happens, I'll admit.
Shirotani's bleeding hands, his gloves, the little bubble he has built for himself that has become his world, it's something I'm very familiar with. It's really refreshing to see it accurately portrayed and not thought of as some joke. Excuse me for this long rant, but I felt like explaining myself before posing the following question: readers who have OCD, what do you think of this portrayal of OCD in this manga? Do you like it, dislike it? Do you find it accurate? Do you wish it was something aside from mysophobia? What about the treatment? (Personally, I despise cognitive conditioning and have never really been willing to do much of it) People with other disorders, or none at all, feel free to chime in with your own opinions.
Some people have told me that they don't like this manga because it's toxic, but what I don't think they get is that it's supposed to be. If this manga was about a straight couple, I wouldn't change a thing. Not about the OCD or the unhealthy relationships between almost all of the characters.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)
Aug 20, 2016 12:52 PM

Mar 2016
I think the portrayal is spot on, to be perfectly honest. I am someone with intense entomophobia, though I have never gotten help, and all bugs horrify me, even if they are not bothering me... simply being around them is traumatizing for me. My parents always bring up getting help for me but I feel like no one can help me as I have come to the conclusion that bugs are disgusting and vile creatures.
I have OCD but not to the extreme. I start getting fidgety and anxious when something in my room is even slightly out of order, so much so that it bothers me all day unless it is fixed and it is all I can think about. I feel a need to fix things that are unorderly or slightly messed up. It doesn't take over my life but it is definitely an issue.
I didn't realize there was a word for wanting everything to be clean until I started reading Ten Count. I can't even load the dishwasher without using several paper towels to pick up a single dirty cup, then throwing it out because the dirtiness is seemingly seeping through to my fingers. Then I use more and keep frantically washing my hands inbetween dishes. I can't say I have mysophobia but I am definitely getting it, that I can tell. I have begun to think about how disgusting amusement park rides are because I have to hold on to seats that others touched before me. One time I thought that while getting on a ride and started panicking, it was pretty dang terrible for me. I went the whole ride without touching anything that others may have touched before me. Recently I do not even want to touch people, either, in any form or way. But then again, isn't mysophobia just another form of OCD? So maybe my OCD causes me to be that way....
I am happy the author shed some light on the issue so others could be informed, as well.
WORK IN PROGRESS
~The frog leapt forth to my lilypad memory.~
I was indoctrinated by an inamorata rabbit,
Adenomata affronted.
It was the verecund, dismissed creatures
That I jubilated in most.
This rabbit I would nurture,
At the aiguille of esse,
The anneal of noblesse.
❤️ Birdie ❤️

Apr 23, 2017 9:54 PM

Jan 2014
I realize this thread is almost a year old but I've never talked about my OCD before so I'm using this opportunity to post about it after reading the latest chapters of Ten Count.

I have OCD and when it comes to mysophobia, mine used to be really bad but I can at least function now and even hide it as long as I don't get too close to people. I can force myself to do things I don't want to do when it comes to relationships at least but it has affected some in the past... I knew I was falling out of love with people when I couldn't bring myself to eat something they directly handed to me or want to share a drink with them anymore and even as far as wanting to avoid them so I wouldn't have to kiss them goodbye every time we parted because it became too disgusting for me.

There was a few "triggers" in my life that either started it or like you assume, helped bring it to life sooner rather than later but I'd rather not discuss that on a MAL forum. It began with cups though and it took me forever to even be able to use disposable ones. I still won't use cups and most dishes offered to me at people's houses. I have one Spider-Man mug (that no one else can touch) and I will only use it if I wash it for at least 5 minutes. Otherwise I mostly drink out of disposable plastic water bottles. Restaurants are a bit different. I might use their cups if I have a straw and don't touch the glass but I try not to inspect my dishes too much or I won't be able to use them at all (Example: If I see a fingerprint on the glass, I can't bring myself to drink out of it even if it was from the waitress that just handed it to me). I'm especially picky with silverware and instead, try to keep plastic forks and spoons on me.

For the longest time I couldn't stand being touched by people. I would only consent to "air hugs" and any other unwarranted physical contact would either cause extreme discomfort to the point of not being able to move and/or a panic attack. I used to wash my hands /all the time/ for almost /everything/ but luckily I started to control myself before it became as bad as it's depicted in Ten Count. Now I resort to hand sanitizer at work and will only run to the bathroom to wash my hands if something made me feel especially disgusted. I probably still do it more than the average person but honestly, not a lot of people wash their hands in the first place so I don't care. I'm dating someone right now and I'm working through all the things that usually bother me so I can accommodate them and luckily they've been pretty understanding/patient even if they don't realize the majority of my problems stems from my OCD. It's hard, especially when they're such a messy person. What are the odds that I'd fall in love with a dirty boy?

Anyway, I'm pretty cool with physical contact when it comes to him but I'm usually not the one being affectionate. It's not that I find him disgusting and don't want to touch him, it's just... I can't explain it or put it into words. It just feels like my brain can't comprehend those commands when I think them even if I want to... For example, brush his hair back from his forehead. He told me recently that he understands and that it's just "who I am" so he would just be more affectionate for the both of us and that made me happy. I'm hoping that it's something I can work on and overcome though.

I'm also thankful for my best friend who has been extremely considerate after he found out I had OCD. It was the first time I spent the night at his house and he offered to make me grilled cheese. I didn't want to fuck up our new friendship so I struggled watching him make it and touch the food with his bare hands and then put it on his dishes that I wasn't even able to wash beforehand before forcing myself to eat it... I forgot if I brought it up or if he asked, but afterward he said he noticed me being pretty vigilant with how he prepared the food and thought it was weird. Now he goes out of his way to make sure he has paper plates and plastic utensils and drinks that don't require cups every time I visit. I'm such a pain but I try to make up for it.

As for the manga, I think it portrays the mysophobia aspect well besides the main character believing /he's/ the dirty one. Not that it's wrong but that it's not the case with everyone and his specifically has to do with the traumatic experience he had as a kid with that woman.
JotakakApr 23, 2017 10:10 PM
Jun 28, 2017 11:39 AM
Aug 2011
This is likely the most honest portrayal of OCD I've ever seen in any form of entertainment, at least when compared to my own OCD tendencies. While I don't suffer from mysophobia or an urge to wash my hands, I do constantly feel the need to perform certain tasks under a certain routine for "x" number if times. I try to always use even numbers wherever numbers might be involved in my day-to-day life. I obsess over certain involuntary (but controllable) functions of the body, which I fear I or my body might forget how to perform these functions which might result in my own death. Certain objects must be placed in certain orders or places.

When my OCD tendencies are not followed, my mind often jumps to the most irrational outcome (i.e. For Shirotani, not cleaning would risk the possibility of disease or infection), for me, death is probably the most quick-to-come-to-mind outcome. On top of the OCD, I suffer from anxiety, depression, and a panic disorder. So the scenes in which Shirotani feels anxious, guilty, or depressed over his OCD or panics when he can't complete a task or makes some inevitable mistake, ring very true with me personally.

OCD is something terrible which I'd never wish upon anyone, but I often hear others claim they have OCD over small idiosyncracies when they evidentially do not (which sounds judgmental or like assumption on my part, but I think others with OCD will sympathize and know exactly what I mean when I say this). It's that one person who always jokes, "Ugh, I am just so OCD!" I try not to get annoyed by this sort of blanket statement, because I understand what they really mean, something more like perfectionism or orderliness. But at the same time, it is incredibly frustrating.

My OCD has always been a source of very real fear for me, especially when it comes to any social experiences. I wonder if others will recognize my problem or what I'm doing, if they'll judge me for it. I try to be discreet, go unnoticed, but messing up is inevitable, and someone does eventually take notice, which further affirms my fear, even if they aren't necessarily thinking any ill will toward me. But it's a combination of not wanting them to judge me in a negative light nor be pitied or sympathized with like some nut case. Haha, because maybe I am a nut case, but my OCD is not me.

I understand when Shirotani voices that he stopped reaching out to others in order to explain his OCD tendencies. Likewise, so have I. Only my significant other is able to comprehend the reality and levity of my OCD, and they accept it at face value, because even though, like Kurose, they don't suffer from the disease themselves, they do have a similar background of their academic study. My significant other knows I can control it about as well as the direction of the wind.

While I always try to push myself to adhere to similar restrictions and limits on my OCD so they don't get out of hand, I've also had to just come to accept the fact that I will never be truly cured. But that's okay, because I don't necessarily want or need to be cured. I think, like Shirotani, I'd much rather have someone like my significant other who can completely accept me for all that I am. I don't need to be cured, just accepted. I know finding someone like my significant other who can comprehend and understand this is rare, so I completely understand that Shirotani resigns himself to a life very much alone and secluded. I think if I had read this manga prior to finding my own significant other who can support me, I would have probably felt uplifted and hopeful that I, too, might find acceptance, happiness, and love.
May 27, 2021 9:48 PM
May 2021
I think I might have ocd, I think I’ll check it out, it sounds like a good manga, tho why I say think is because I haven’t actually went and had it checked, because for the type I think I have, I get this really irritable burning sensation, and this feeling of needing to wash and use hand sanitizer, if I don’t that feeling won’t go away and I won’t be able to stop thinking about it and be really irritable until I do it. So seeing an anime that many make it feel relatable to me sounds nice.
Feb 2, 2023 6:30 PM
Jul 2018
Surana said:
People with other disorders, or none at all, feel free to chime in with your own opinions.
Some people have told me that they don't like this manga because it's toxic, but what I don't think they get is that it's supposed to be. If this manga was about a straight couple, I wouldn't change a thing. Not about the OCD or the unhealthy relationships between almost all of the characters.

So I have no OCD and no disorders per se, but sensory issues bc of neurodiversity in some ways. I especially dislike touch a lot of times or I really have to be in the mood for it.

And it's not a bad manga in premise, but one time they had sex on the toilet I think and the fuck, I could never.

The other part is: It would be fine if he started out as his therapist, but as soon as he fell in love and wanted to sleep with him, he should have sent him to another person. They still could be together after he changes the therapist, but I don't like that he keeps sleeping with his patient, tho that therapist enjoyed the power dynamics he had over him.
I guess that makes it spicey for some yaoi fangirls? But the thought of my therapist making advances on me and then keeps being my therapist, yikes.

Yeah it's not only about being toxic tho, some of the sex scenes are just out of character for him, imo. In which world would a person with mysophobia having sex on the toilet etc. And it was portrayed like he wanted it too after the first yikes, as far as I can remember.

In general I thought he should have had so much more issues with an activity that involves many body fluids. I mean... I surely do.
Besides that the whole thing is rapey.
removed-userFeb 2, 2023 6:48 PM
Feb 13, 2023 6:10 PM

May 2015
Felori said:
Surana said:
People with other disorders, or none at all, feel free to chime in with your own opinions.

So I have no OCD and no disorders per se, but sensory issues bc of neurodiversity in some ways. I especially dislike touch a lot of times or I really have to be in the mood for it.

And it's not a bad manga in premise, but one time they had sex on the toilet I think and the fuck, I could never.

The other part is: It would be fine if he started out as his therapist, but as soon as he fell in love and wanted to sleep with him, he should have sent him to another person. They still could be together after he changes the therapist, but I don't like that he keeps sleeping with his patient, tho that therapist enjoyed the power dynamics he had over him.
I guess that makes it spicey for some yaoi fangirls? But the thought of my therapist making advances on me and then keeps being my therapist, yikes.

Yeah it's not only about being toxic tho, some of the sex scenes are just out of character for him, imo. In which world would a person with mysophobia having sex on the toilet etc. And it was portrayed like he wanted it too after the first yikes, as far as I can remember.

In general I thought he should have had so much more issues with an activity that involves many body fluids. I mean... I surely do.
Besides that the whole thing is rapey.
Oh yeah, I stopped reading this quite some time ago because I used to read sexual manga as a form of conversion therapy (it worked to an extent but I'd have to read/watch sexual content every day in order to keep off my sex repulsion). Been a long while since I've read this, and looking back, while I still applaud it's portrayal of COCD, yikes on bikes about 90% of the rest of this stuff lol. idk how much worse it got, but yes, as soon as you get feelings for a patient, you get that patient out of your office. Not to mention it was very much dubcon with how the therapist dude used CBT as an excuse to have sexual relations with his patient. It's extremely awful. Like, on one hand, we're seen. On the other hand, I'm assuming most of us don't want to be seen and associated with something like this.
"It's a tragic misunderstanding that could have been easily avoided if he just finished his sentence in time!"

— Richard Watterson (The Amazing World of Gumball)

More topics from this board

» anime for this or nah??

qpq - Sep 23, 2014

26 by removed-user »»
Feb 6, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Ten Count Chapter 6 Discussion

qpq - Apr 25, 2014

6 by Queen_Nelliel »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:21 PM

Poll: » Ten Count Chapter 48 [END] Discussion

Mayuka - Jan 19, 2018

28 by Kitsu-nee »»
Apr 15, 2022 3:04 PM

Poll: » Ten Count Chapter 22 Discussion

AnimeZ0id - Aug 16, 2015

17 by Kitsu-nee »»
Apr 10, 2022 4:20 AM

Poll: » Ten Count Chapter 31 Discussion

Surana - May 13, 2016

18 by almaghraby_8976 »»
Dec 16, 2021 10:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.