Forum Settings
Forums

Is "turning your brain off" really a good idea when consuming anime? Isn't it just BS?

New
Aug 12, 2016 10:03 AM

Jan 2016
Well, as Digibro in his latest video tried to make me understand(and he's right if you really think about it).... if that's possible then why do you consume anime, in the first place? Why not stare at the wall and be entertained?

Being able to distinguish what you like or dislike is a proof that you have a set standard for critical judgment. Hell, as long as you're a human, you should be able to think and thinking is essentially judging.

This is where this so called "elitists" are quite right in saying. "Turning your brain off" is BS.
ethotAug 12, 2016 10:16 AM
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 12, 2016 10:08 AM

Sep 2012
Idk man to able to watch SAO ı always turn my brain off.If I don't kirito fans can kill me.
Aug 12, 2016 10:13 AM
Mar 2011
i dsagree with him on moist things this is agree with him on
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Aug 12, 2016 10:17 AM

Feb 2016
this is probably the most stupid thread i have read in a while "why not stare at the wall " yeah ! Because you can turn your brain off your mind ! Whats next ? Drool while watching ?

The funny thing is that you mention the word enjoyment , now i am not an english native speaker , but enjoyment would be letting thing flow on their own without overanalzing things , as one of tool lyrics " overanalizng sepreat the mind from the soul " . So anime is not a math class . But since this elitest one don't even study nor work ( like your digibro amigo ) they start to think maybe overanalzing animes would make me smart huh ?

Anyway , whatever work for you , bring a pen and a paper while watching and write everything that seems "wrong" or cliche and maybe one day you can become like davinchi .
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Aug 12, 2016 10:18 AM

Sep 2015
Oftentimes 'turning your brain off' just means you shouldn't hold it to stringent standards, sitting there over-analysing every single little thing that happens. You have to just accept that what happens makes sense in the particular anime and that setting, without comparing it to real life and scrutinising over every aspect. Think of TTGL - in one aspect, you do have to turn your brain off when they start punching walls in dimensions because that shit makes sense in their universe. I suppose this is treading onto the suspension of disbelief territory though.

But at the same time, there are plenty of anime I've seen where I've 'turned my brain off' because otherwise I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much because the act was an attempt to stop myself from sitting there and complaining that an anime was just yet another rehash of the same shit I've seen dozens of times before. I absolutely do not want to have to turn my brain off in order to get even some semblance of entertaiment from an anime. If I have to 'turn my brain off' in order to try and stop myself from comparing an anime to dozens of others of a similar vein then that anime has clearly failed somewhere along the line.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Aug 12, 2016 10:20 AM

Aug 2014
Only in comedy animes do you have to turn your brain off.

With other animes, your body and brain tells you automatically if you are enjoying an anime or not.
Aug 12, 2016 10:26 AM

Feb 2015
Well I guess there is a difference between a show with a simple storyline and a show that has shit writing. I can enjoy Gurren Laggan, Fist of the Northstar, Saint Seiya or Hellsing Ultimate, but I could never enjoy something like SAO or Erased.
Aug 12, 2016 10:27 AM

Feb 2015
DateYutaka said:

Wait, are you agreeing with him or not?
Aug 12, 2016 10:28 AM

May 2016
JonasTheJay said:
DateYutaka said:

Most likely. He disagrees with him on moist things, he said, and this doesn't sound like a moist topic.

This glorious signature image was created by @Mayumi!

I am the Arbiter of Absolute Truth, and here is my wisdom:

"Anime was always influenced by the West. This is not news.
Shoujo is the superior genre primarily aimed at young people.
Harem/isekai are lazy genres that refuse any meaningful innovation.
There is no 'Golden Age.' There will always be top-shelf anime.
You should be watching Carole & Tuesday."
Aug 12, 2016 10:31 AM

Jan 2016
hisokathebutcher said:
this is probably the most stupid thread i have read in a while "why not stare at the wall " yeah ! Because you can turn your brain off your mind ! Whats next ? Drool while watching ?

The funny thing is that you mention the word enjoyment , now i am not an english native speaker , but enjoyment would be letting thing flow on their own without overanalzing things , as one of tool lyrics " overanalizng sepreat the mind from the soul " . So anime is not a math class . But since this elitest one don't even study nor work ( like your digibro amigo ) they start to think maybe overanalzing animes would make me smart huh ?

Anyway , whatever work for you , bring a pen and a paper while watching and write everything that seems "wrong" or cliche and maybe one day you can become like davinchi .

The answer to the question "why do you like a show?" is in itself an analytical act even if it's in the *grassroots* level(even if you don't even know how to answer that).
Aug 12, 2016 10:34 AM
Mar 2011
JonasTheJay said:
DateYutaka said:

on this i agree him on 99% other time i disagree with him on
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Aug 12, 2016 10:38 AM

Apr 2014
By turning your brain off most of the times means to not thinking too deep into it.
There are show that doesn't need to be taken seriously and present itself as shallow as possible, in that case, you are not supposed to question what happpened or think too deep into it, to be able to enjoy it to the fullest, all you need to do is enjoy what you can see and wear some suspension of disbelief armor. This rule mostly apply to some over the top comedy anime and/or ecchi harem anime.
It's not about which one is right or wrong, it's just a matter of how to enjoy something properly.
Vagina is the correct place for a man to insert their stick but still that doesn't mean no one would enjoy doing some anal. It's just a matter of which way you can enjoy something the most.
His analogy with staring a wall is really stupid imo.
tr1ckst3rAug 12, 2016 10:46 AM
Aug 12, 2016 10:41 AM

Feb 2013
Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
Aug 12, 2016 10:41 AM

Aug 2014
You know that ThatAnimeSnob will probably make a video response to that video.
Aug 12, 2016 10:42 AM

Feb 2016
CapitalistGod said:
hisokathebutcher said:

The answer to the question "why do you like a show?" is in itself an analytical act even if it's in the *grassroots* level(even if you don't even know how to answer that).

The answer to why do you like a show is not an analytical act , because "like" doesn't match the analyzing part smartass . People like flowers not because they study it . But because liking , enjoying , has nothing to do with knowing the procces of things . Analazing came later as a way to express things to OTHERS , not to oneself . But people realy like to think highly of themself huh ?
"This is my father's crime against me, which I myself committed against none" Al-ma'arri
Aug 12, 2016 10:46 AM

Jan 2016
hisokathebutcher said:
CapitalistGod said:

The answer to why do you like a show is not an analytical act , because "like" doesn't match the analyzing part smartass . People like flowers not because they study it . But because liking , enjoying , has nothing to do with knowing the procces of things . Analazing came later as a way to express things to OTHERS , not to oneself . But people realy like to think highly of themself huh ?

By what standard do you like some show? Or some things? That's another question that can be asked in this situation. Having an answer to that question is what makes you human.... the ability to think... the ability to discern what is good or not.
Aug 12, 2016 10:47 AM

Apr 2016
are we going to see a new thread in AD everytime Digibro upload his bullshit on youtube..?
BlueAvatarAug 12, 2016 10:50 AM

Mar 2016
If every plot hole, deus ex machina, asspull or case of blatant plot armour only serves to trigger you then yes you should stop thinking so hard(if you really want to enjoy the show).

Apr 2016
Well that comment isn't meant to be taken literally. It just means to not be critical about an anime.

Instead of trying to be critical of the anime and look at the things that make it good or bad, just enjoy it. The only thing that matters is if you enjoy it or not. There can be anime with no character development, cliche jokes, and allot of other things that these critical reviewers think are bad, but it can still be fun to watch.

So you should just watch an anime. If it's fun, it's good. If it's not, it's bad. And don't worry about all the critical points.
Aug 12, 2016 10:48 AM

Jan 2013
He likes K-ON...so therefore he's lying.
Aug 12, 2016 10:49 AM

Feb 2016
romagia said:

i always knew you listen to tool . Your avatar says it all
Aug 12, 2016 10:51 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I don't think the saying is meant to be taken so literally, but I think processing as much is beyond Digi's level of comprehension anyway, so meh.

I think of it more as being "I don't watch it as a critic" or "I watch it to take my mind off of things and relax instead of as thought fuel" instead of just sitting there staring at the screen like a brainless zombie. Focus is still being applied enough to gather what exactly is happening on the screen and discerning whether or not it's enjoyable, the focus just isn't being applied as deeply as some others. It's not pondering the complexities of how well the motor is running, just letting the leather run smooth on the passenger's seat and seeing where the ride goes, so on and so forth.

Basically I think this opinion is retarded

Aug 12, 2016 10:52 AM

Jan 2016
tr1ckst3r said:
By turning your brain off most of the times means to not thinking too deep into it.
There are show that doesn't need to be taken seriously and present itself as shallow as possible, in that case, you are not supposed to question what happpened or think too deep into it, to ne able to enjoy it to the fullest, all you need to do is enjoy what you can see and wear some suspension of disbelief armor. This rule mostly apply to some over the top comedy anime and/or ecchi harem anime.
It's not about which one is right or wrong, it's just a matter of how to enjoy something properly.
Vagina is the correct place for a man to insert their stick but still that doesn't mean no one would enjoy doing some anal. It's just a matter of which way you can enjoy something the most.
His analogy with staring a eall is rrally stupid imo.

But he also said that being able to discern what you like or dislike is a sign of critical judgment... Even if you don't know how to explain it...

Being able to suspend your disbelief doesn't really necessarily mean "turning your brain off"... If that's what it means then another question arises... should all fiction be consumed by "turning your brain off"?
Aug 12, 2016 10:55 AM

Jan 2016
UnpopularAnime said:
Well that comment isn't meant to be taken literally. It just means to not be critical about an anime.

Instead of trying to be critical of the anime and look at the things that make it good or bad, just enjoy it. The only thing that matters is if you enjoy it or not. There can be anime with no character development, cliche jokes, and allot of other things that these critical reviewers think are bad, but it can still be fun to watch.

So you should just watch an anime. If it's fun, it's good. If it's not, it's bad. And don't worry about all the critical points.

Lisbon said:
I don't think the saying is meant to be taken so literally, but I think processing as much is beyond Digi's level of comprehension anyway, so meh.

I think of it more as being "I don't watch it as a critic" or "I watch it to take my mind off of things and relax instead of as thought fuel" instead of just sitting there staring at the screen like a brainless zombie. Focus is still being applied enough to gather what exactly is happening on the screen and discerning whether or not it's enjoyable, the focus just isn't being applied as deeply as some others. It's not pondering the complexities of how well the motor is running, just letting the leather run smooth on the passenger's seat and seeing where the ride goes, so on and so forth.

SO, enjoyment doesn't require thought, huh? I mean enjoying things require some level of thought... We're not thoughtless animals, you know.
Aug 12, 2016 10:56 AM

Jul 2015
It depends on the anime, if it's a comedy or a action show that knows it's ridiculous then yes, but if it's trying to be more then you have to add a mixture of Turning off your brain and taking it serious
Sup...
Aug 12, 2016 10:59 AM

Apr 2014
CapitalistGod said:
tr1ckst3r said:
There are show that doesn't need to be taken seriously and present itself as shallow as possible, in that case, you are not supposed to question what happpened or think too deep into it, to ne able to enjoy it to the fullest, all you need to do is enjoy what you can see and wear some suspension of disbelief armor. This rule mostly apply to some over the top comedy anime and/or ecchi harem anime.
His analogy with staring a eall is rrally stupid imo.

But he also said that being able to discern what you like or dislike is a sign of critical judgment... Even if you don't know how to explain it...

Being able to suspend your disbelief doesn't really necessarily mean "turning your brain off"... If that's what it means then another question arises... should all fiction be consumed by "turning your brain off"?
A like or dislike is a personal preference, it had nothing to do with critical judgment, being able to tell which one is good or bad on the other hand is the one that need critical judgment.

And after I said this

You still ask this
... If that's what it means then another question arises... should all fiction be consumed by "turning your brain off"?

Pls
Aug 12, 2016 11:01 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
Why do people care so much about digibro opinions lol? Is he a god?

All ppl mean by "turn your brain off" is to not give a shit about any sort of deeper meaning in a show
Aug 12, 2016 11:02 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
CapitalistGod said:
SO, enjoyment doesn't require thought, huh? I mean enjoying things require some level of thought... We're not thoughtless animals, you know.

At what point did I say that?

If anything, the bulk of my post was counter to that.

Lisbon said:
I think of it more as being "I don't watch it as a critic" or "I watch it to take my mind off of things and relax instead of as thought fuel" instead of just sitting there staring at the screen like a brainless zombie. Focus is still being applied enough to gather what exactly is happening on the screen and discerning whether or not it's enjoyable, the focus just isn't being applied as deeply as some others.

And this is something I see absolutely no wrong in.

Aug 12, 2016 11:02 AM

May 2015
meh.

different people get entertained by different things so why does it even matter
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Aug 12, 2016 11:03 AM

Sep 2012
"turn your brain off" is just a fortune-cookie line that sounds vague enough to fool you into thinking it means something, that people say when they can't articulate why they like something you dislike.
Aug 12, 2016 11:05 AM

Apr 2016
CapitalistGod said:
UnpopularAnime said:

Lisbon said:

It does require thought, but the comment isn't meant to be taken literally. So it doesn't mean to not think, it means that the only thing you think about when watching is "Is this fun to watch, or is it not fun to watch?"
Aug 12, 2016 11:06 AM

Feb 2013
hisokathebutcher said:
romagia said:

i always knew you listen to tool . Your avatar says it all
tell me more wally
in what way are tool and tympole related?
Aug 12, 2016 11:07 AM

Feb 2016
CapitalistGod said:
hisokathebutcher said:

By what standard do you like some show? Or some things? That's another question that can be asked in this situation. Having an answer to that question is what makes you human.... the ability to think... the ability to discern what is good or not.

To answer your qus , i have to ask another question : which one comes first 1) standard or 2) liking some show ?
If the answer is num 1 , then you are buying a grossery , basicaly you have a list on your hand and your just looking for its items ( that would be character growth , ending , writteng , animation work , length , etc)
And in that case the show is only good if it met your expectaions .
If the answer is num 2 , then we are back to what i already said , you just watched it , it captured your feelings ,you liked it and thats it

Now about the ability to discem what is good or not , i have to tell you whats good for one might be bad for another , also being human have nothing to do with thinking , it was about existing . You can be human without thinking too deep about things .

Anyway ofcourse show like , SEL , mushishi require one to gather the broken pieces , which require a memory and an open mind ., but if you watched one of this two you will end up with a feeling more than a theory , cause understanding the writer goal doesnt add up to one's life , its the feeling that adds . Heck i once read that osho ( i think thats his name ) once said that the director doesnt know everything about the movie he is making , and that what things means doesnt matter much . And i am guessing he was somehow saying that what matters is the feeling

I apologize for bad grammer . I am not a good talker anyway .
Aug 12, 2016 11:09 AM
Nov 2015
I watch for fun. I enjoy most of the show unless something that doesn't match my beliefs happens, I dislike it. But I can enjoy any show, thanks godness !
Aug 12, 2016 11:10 AM

Jul 2014
I think "turn your brain off" is poor phrasing and when most say it they usually mean the show in question requires suspension of disbelief or isn't "high art".
Take care of yourself

Aug 12, 2016 11:14 AM

Feb 2016
UnpopularAnime said:
CapitalistGod said:

It does require thought, but the comment isn't meant to be taken literally. So it doesn't mean to not think, it means that the only thing you think about when watching is "Is this fun to watch, or is it not fun to watch?"

*enjoying things require some level of thought* . This is like saying walking need you to forcefuly tell your legs to move . The whole process happend without you forcing it . Your thoughts work much better when you are watching things flow on their own . Its when you expect thing to go through certan direction that your thoughts froze . Unless this thread is talking about people who drool while watching tv , that's another subject .
Aug 12, 2016 11:16 AM

Apr 2013
Turn off your brain bro. Just turn that shit off man. Do anime a favor and turn your fucking brain off for a few minutes. Thanks.
Aug 12, 2016 11:16 AM

Feb 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:

All ppl mean by "turn your brain off" is to not give a shit about any sort of deeper meaning in a show

He is god and ThatAnimeSnob is the devil.
Aug 12, 2016 11:18 AM

Feb 2015
EcchiLordMamster said:

You know what... I'm thinking the same too, it's as if Digibro is some kind of celebrity that everyone follows...

Now I'm quite curious as to why people just seem to follow him... I'll check his vids as soon as I can...
Aug 12, 2016 11:22 AM

Apr 2015
Digibro is the example of an elitist who takes anime too seriously, that's why I hate him. And why the hell are you watching if you want to turn your brain off?? That's so fucking stupid
EcchiLordMamster said:

He's just an edgy guy who likes to sound smart but in the end he's making fool of himself by over analyzing anime
Anzumatsuri_Aug 12, 2016 11:28 AM
Aug 12, 2016 11:28 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
@JonasTheJay

It's sad that people can't make thror own decisions just because some "really smart" reviewer said something

TAS is shit and Digibro is just a buzzkill

I don't like any reviewer but 1 who very few ppl have heard of and I watch him for the comedy factor

_Ako_ said:
EcchiLordMamster said:

You know what... I'm thinking the same too, it's as if Digibro is some kind of celebrity that everyone follows...

Now I'm quite curious as to why people just seem to follow him... I'll check his vids as soon as I can...

Ppl just meatride and want their hand held cause they can't decide shit on thier own

@FromZeroToZero

I wouldn't call him an elitist but he definitely creates them and goes way overboard w his critiques
Aug 12, 2016 11:28 AM

Jun 2014
If you have to turn your brain off to watch a series, you're saying you have to be of low intelligence to enjoy it. If that is the case, why would you subject yourself to something of poor quality?

I watch anime, TV and movies to be engaged and entertained. Even something silly and over-the-top like JoJo or Hokuto no Ken engages and entertains without the requiring me to turn my brain off.

It seems like people would rather watch bland, candy-colored waifus than something that requires something of the viewer.

I dunno. It's okay to enjoy trash. Just use your brain, enjoy it because it is trash and recognize its flaws.
Aug 12, 2016 11:36 AM

May 2012
Oh, that guy again, the one who forever has a stick up his butt~ Shittiest analogy lol Dunno why he took the phrase so literally.

I'm pretty sure most people, including myself, understand the flaws and strengths of something before we make that statement, but it's not like whatever it is we're watching can't still be entertaining. There really shouldn't anything so complicated about it. Besides, you don't always have to think of things so critically.

Not sure who in the hell he's trying to enlighten with that 10-minute video

Aug 12, 2016 11:38 AM

Feb 2015
FromZeroToZero said:
Digibro is the example of an elitist who takes anime too seriously, that's why I hate him. And why the hell are you watching if you want to turn your brain off?? That's so fucking stupid
EcchiLordMamster said:

He's just an edgy guy who likes to sound smart but in the end he's making fool of himself by over analyzing anime

Let's get things straight. If you turn-off your brain, you're fucking dead meat. CNS works every time, not just when you're doing an activity or something IQ related.

But, still if his making a fool of himself, I wonder why people, or almost all of the people agrees to him? Does that mean most of the user are Elitist? Just like the guy who made this thread?

@EcchiLordMamster People have their own ideas, it's just they can't choose, thus going-in with the majority of the people that manifest their ideas... I don't know if that's true but, it can also manifest on everyone....
Aug 12, 2016 11:41 AM

Jul 2012
I'm not going to watch the video but personally I think there's a fairly fine line. It seems like there's a very significant trend of very hypercritical viewers. This doesn't apply to any one genre, medium, etc. it's more that a lot more people are extremely nitpicky about shows especially early on. In this scenario turning their brain off to some extent would be a bit of a positive thing and probably good advice.
To follow the wall example, if you stare at a wall long enough you might realize "you know what, I'm not a fan of this color" or "the paint job here isn't great" however you shouldn't immediately sit down and punch a hole through the wall.
Now it's fine and greatly encouraged to say why you didn't like those things, but your initial reaction to a series imo should be one of optimism versus pessimism. If you go into a show knowing you're going to hate it or try to tear it apart then it doesn't seem like you're watching it for entertainment, you're watching it to lash out at either that type of show or the fanbase associated with it.
Aug 12, 2016 11:43 AM

Feb 2013
Yep, being critical and having fun aren't really mutually exclusive. For that reason I can't help but see people who use "you have to turn your brain off" as being intellectually lazy and dishonest.

Reason why I say dishonest is because literally no one likes something just for having pretty colors and explosions. They're reasons are really more specific than that even if they can't explain them all that well. They find the characters fun, or the story was something new to them. Instead of explaining why they liked it, they find it easier to talk about how everyone that didn't watched it with the "wrong" mindset.
gedataAug 12, 2016 11:47 AM
Aug 12, 2016 11:47 AM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
_Ako_ said:

@EcchiLordMamster People have their own ideas, it's just they can't choose, thus going-in with the majority of the people that manifest their ideas... I don't know if that's true but, it can also manifest on everyone....

Yea that's probably more like it, but theres so many ppl who just follow the sheep or do things like lower their score cause they watched a reviewer who said something negative about a show

"I heard this show was bad, so I'm not gonna watch"

I have a friend who was dodging a show for like 2 months cause he heard it sucked. Then he eventually watched the show and was like "wow, I love this"

I don't believe for a second that SO MANY ppl hate SAO, it'd just ppl constantly see ppl shit talking it, so they jump on the hate train to fit in
Aug 12, 2016 11:48 AM

Feb 2015
@EcchiLordMamster

It was a joke. I don't agree on everything that Digibro says, especially his K-on and MLP videos. I still think he is a great anime reviewer, who really knows his stuff.
Aug 12, 2016 11:49 AM

Dec 2012
Escapism. Nobody actually turns their brain off, they just watch in passive mode where you accept the show as new reality in your mind as opposed to aggressive mode where you bring your own mental baggage, expectations, per-conceptions, and biases with you which reduces your enjoyment. Creating whole new universes in my head and going along for the ride while taking a detour from reality is WAY more fun than looking for something to bash a show about.
KruszerAug 12, 2016 12:20 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Aug 12, 2016 11:52 AM
Mar 2011
JonasTheJay said:
@EcchiLordMamster

It was a joke. I don't agree on everything that Digibro says, especially his K-on and MLP videos. I still think he is a great anime reviewer, who really knows his stuff.

overall h knows nothing i know more and im not an egotistical guy what so ever
him and the snpb are on the same level of knowing anything about anime but snob has marginally better tastes

Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is anime just more honest about it's intent than western media?

Spunkert - 37 seconds ago

0 by Spunkert »»
37 seconds ago

» Describe an anime in a funny way.

NOTAGLOWIE - Mar 2, 2022

35 by FanofAction »»
1 minute ago

Poll: » Legs or arms?

Absurdo_N - 2 hours ago

17 by LoveYourEyes »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

134 by cold_void344 »»
6 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others?

WatchTillTandava - 8 hours ago

46 by WatchTillTandava »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.