Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Handa-kun
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 9, 2016 5:41 AM
Jan 2013
Someone please answer my question. Thanks.
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Jul 9, 2016 5:44 AM

Oct 2015
You can watch in any order you like but I think watching barakamon first is the right way.
Jul 9, 2016 5:47 AM
Jan 2013
Harmony said:
You can watch in any order you like but I think watching barakamon first is the right way.

But is there any important plot point in Barakamon that I need to know in order to watch Handa-kun?
"How am I supposed to face the problem when the problem is my face?" - W.Lui

"A real man forgives a woman for her lies." - Sanji

"First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes adults flying through a portal in the sky." - NettoSaito

"I'm not a newbie it's just that I only registered a few days ago." - A newbie
Jul 9, 2016 5:49 AM

Oct 2015
Lelouch_Darsi said:
Harmony said:

But is there any important plot point in Barakamon that I need to know in order to watch Handa-kun?

There isn't anything important plot on barakamon since in barakamon, Handa is trying to improve in calligraphy while in handa kun it's pure comedy which I think isn't really that related to barakamon apart from handa
Jul 9, 2016 5:50 AM
Mar 2016
handa kun is a prequel. so you can even watch barakamon after completing handa kun
Jul 9, 2016 6:08 AM

Aug 2014
I personally did not but I might watch it after the first ep,his character is so funny from being clueless
Jul 9, 2016 6:34 AM

Dec 2015
I was wondering the same thing.

Can anyone confirm that you can go into Handa-Kun knowing nothing about Barakamon and still understand everything?
They won't be referencing stuff from Barakamon will they?
Jul 9, 2016 7:02 AM

Feb 2016
There are some details from Barakamon that carry into Handa-kun but you should be fine if you dont want to finish Barakamon first (although I do recommend watching barakamon because it's absolutely amazing)
Jul 9, 2016 9:10 AM

Jul 2014
In my opinion you should start with Barakamon

-you would relate more to Handa-kun
-Barakamon is a slice of life masterpiece
-while Handa-kun is mostly comedy, Barakamon digs the sole reasoning of life in a comedic way

PS-Barakamon is filled with adorable characters and one of the best comedic timings.

All in all you would enjoy Handa-kun way more if you watched Barakamon first.
Jul 10, 2016 8:22 AM
Mar 2012
I think you can watch Handa-Kun easily without knowing Barakamon. To me they are completely different. They have a few characters in common, but that's pretty much it. I'd not even put them in the same genre.

Ka-sh-iro said:
-Barakamon is a slice of life masterpiece
-Barakamon is filled with adorable characters and one of the best comedic timings.
True.
Everyone should watch Barakamon, whether they plan on watching Handa-kun or not.

Ka-sh-iro said:
Or be really, really disappointed (with Handa-kun).

If you don't like Handa-kun, give Barakamon a try anyway. They're really very different.
Jul 10, 2016 9:44 AM

Apr 2014
I was reading the Handa-kun manga this past winter with no prior watching of Barakamon. I have yet to watch it going into this anime adaptation and am doing fine. So my answer would be no.
---------My Profile------------
Jul 10, 2016 10:05 AM
Jan 2016
I'm going to go ahead and say watch Barakamon first since its only 12 episodes.

Handa Kun has an extra flavor in fun when you have experienced the series its being a prequel of to begin with. Just my opinion though : ).
Jul 10, 2016 10:26 AM

Jul 2014
ElenirLachlagos said:

Ka-sh-iro said:
Or be really, really disappointed (with Handa-kun).

Yea you may get disappointed ..that's also one possibility but once again I would say "in my opinion" Handa-kun will be more meaningful(and maybe enjoyable) to you if you watched barakamon first.
Jul 10, 2016 11:10 PM

Nov 2012
It makes me want to watch Barakamon again for sure.

They're both two completely different kind of anime, not even in the same theme.
Rifaz89Jul 10, 2016 11:39 PM
A city's greatness is determined by the speed of its internet connection.
Jul 11, 2016 5:52 AM

Nov 2014
i haven't heard of barakamon until this thread and i just watched the first ep of handa-kun and it was still really funny.
Jul 13, 2016 7:03 PM
Jul 2012
the shows are completely different. There are some jokes of Barakamon in Handa-kun but. They are completely different.

In fact, you might not be able to go to Barakamon if you think it'll be like Handa-kun. It's tone is different and Handa is a completely different character.

This show is a Comedy and Barakamon is a slice of life show with an unsatisfying ending.=
Jul 15, 2016 10:16 PM

Apr 2016
Lelouch_Darsi said:

References from Barakamon already appeared in Handa-kun... Handa-kun was a lot funnier for me to watch since I already knew how Sei Handa is like. In episode 2, something happened and as a Barakamon reader/watcher, I instantly laughed since I already knew the answer to the 'confusion.' That naturally got me nostalgic, since I was reminded of the exact events from Barakamon... People who have never read or watched Barakamon wouldn't really catch on... ^^

It's actually nice to see familiar faces from Barakamon appear in Handa-kun. There's a much more intimate feeling to it. People who have been exposed to Barakamon can instantly know how a character is like to know why they did something and reacted that way, but Handa-kun watchers wouldn't understand (hopefully, soon they will)...

So, it may not be an important plot, but I do say read or watch Barakamon first since you would enjoy Handa-kun more if you already know the characters and references. :)

Bobby2Hands said:
I was wondering the same thing.

Can anyone confirm that you can go into Handa-Kun knowing nothing about Barakamon and still understand everything?
They won't be referencing stuff from Barakamon will they?

Just like how I answered the person above, references from Barakamon do appear in Handa-kun.

You can watch Handa-kun without watching Barakamon first, but I won't advise it due to the reasons I listed above. :)
Cloe900311Jul 15, 2016 10:27 PM
Oct 18, 2016 8:31 AM

May 2015
Before Handa-kun was announced, my classmate gave me a copy of Barakamon. And I watched it...

But now, I'm currently watching Handa-kun, then I'm going to watch Barakamon for the second time. The reason is because I wanted to watch it chronologically and that's my ONLY reason why I do this...
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Dec 1, 2016 9:15 AM

May 2008
I watched Barakemon before when it was aired, but I didn't realize after watching this show that they are related so watch it however you like :P

More topics from this board

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2016

94 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 15, 4:09 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2016

185 by Destroyer31 »»
Mar 15, 1:50 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2016

63 by Wonderlust_Arte »»
Feb 13, 4:08 AM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 22, 2016

106 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 22, 2023 10:13 PM

Poll: » Handa-kun Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 8, 2016

46 by RGreatDanton »»
Nov 22, 2023 4:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.