Forum Settings
Forums

would you say Paranoia Agent is a dystopian anime?

New
Jun 30, 2016 5:01 AM

Jan 2014
I'm just curious.
And if you think so could you let me know what specific dystopian traits are shown throughout the series?
Jun 30, 2016 5:33 AM

Dec 2015
Unless they changed the definition of "dystopian"...no
Jun 30, 2016 5:36 AM

May 2015
bunicat said:
I'm just curious.
And if you think so could you let me know what specific dystopian traits are shown throughout the series?
It's been a while and the memories are quite blurry, I am not sure if it could be called dystopian anime but I do think Paranoia Agent has definitely dystopian traits. Utopian being an ideal depiction of the world dystopian is the contrary and depicts only the flaws and evil of the world but the important part is that it happens from an ethic point of view (the author's ethic point of view). So utopia is absolutely morally right while dystopia is absolutely morally wrong, it doesn't necessarily have to be materialistic good or evil but it helps sending the message. In paranoia agent we can see a lot of the negative morality sides of society in particular the sides Satoshi Kon sees in Japanese society: incest, violence, technology and consumerism, blackmail, hatred, the power of the media and the power of rumours in a negative and absolute (not realistic/not grey but black) manner.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 30, 2016 6:09 AM

Jul 2014
No, I don't think so. But it is a satire of contemporary societal norms. The fantasy stuff occurs within the minds of its characters.
Take care of yourself

Jul 2, 2016 7:27 AM

Feb 2016
I'd rather say it's an anime about fear and how people are daunted by it. As reference I'd quote the episode with the childless couple.

More topics from this board

» This has been the worst 6 weeks of anime I have seen in a long time.

StateofOhayo - 5 hours ago

22 by StateofOhayo »»
1 minute ago

» Ever stopped watching an anime bc you like it so much ?

Yonahim_Zz - May 8

49 by Yonahim_Zz »»
1 minute ago

» Incomplete Anime

him5012 - May 12

10 by Alexioos95 »»
1 minute ago

» Is the concept of a villain stupid?

Anjuro - 1 hour ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» anime character you like but wouldn't invite to your birthday party / wedding?

lifesaver64 - 4 hours ago

9 by Akenjah »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.