Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 7, 2016 2:32 PM

Sep 2015
So it's no secret that a large percentage of the internet put up some sort of persona when they interact with others on the internet. It can be as simple as giving themselves a false backstory or life story (Like saying they're in a position that they're really not) or it can be as dangerous as pretending to a cute young girl when you're an old man.

I've always never been afraid of showing who I am. I have my picture both on my profile and signature. I'm linked to all my other social medias (besides Facebook because I have personal contacts on there and some of you are fucking scary and they don't deserve to deal with you, lol) I've even been linked to my YouTube channel a while ago where I talked about things and told stories - back when I was motivated to do new things and my channel was still active, and I received a lot of support from most of you guys as well as positive feedback.

That being said, I don't really understand why people need to be so deceptive.

Do you put on a persona online? What do you think of people who do? Why do you think people use online personas?

Discuss. c:

A pair of eyes appear disguised,
I take flight and stay high in paradise,
With bad luck, snake eyes, a pair of dice.
I'm paralyzed, she speaks twice, a pair of lies,
It's parallel, apparent hell of parasites.
ask for discord server
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jun 7, 2016 2:39 PM

Oct 2014
On Omegle I used many different characters that, most of which were female, because it was fun to trick people. Psychologically I'm sure that the internet makes you a bit different than you are in real life for different reasons (Serial Experiments Lain touches on this).
Jun 7, 2016 2:53 PM

Sep 2015
zombie_pegasus said:
On Omegle I used many different characters that, most of which were female, because it was fun to trick people. Psychologically I'm sure that the internet makes you a bit different than you are in real life for different reasons (Serial Experiments Lain touches on this).
Sounds like you were really bored. I hope it wasn't something you got off to then it'd probably be a little creepy. Not that it really affects me, but.

I agree to some extent. It's impossible to be exactly the same as you are in real life, especially with how you react to things. When there's just text you process it as you read it and have time to think, but when it's all thrown at you at once like real life it's much different.

ask for discord server
Jun 7, 2016 3:00 PM

Aug 2013
Online personas are stupid. When I'm going to spend a considerable time on the Internet, I might as well be my true self, so that I can legitimately connect with other--preferably equally genuine--people, and form meaningful bonds with them. That's what's so great about the Internet - being able to connect with interesting people from all over the world. Putting on a fake persona would not be worthwhile to me.
Jun 7, 2016 3:04 PM

Sep 2015
Moog said:
Online personas are stupid. When I'm going to spend a considerable time on the Internet, I might as well be my true self, so that I can legitimately connect with other--preferably equally genuine--people, and form meaningful bonds with them. That's what's so great about the Internet - being able to connect with interesting people from all over the world. Putting on a fake persona would not be worthwhile to me.
I couldn't agree more with this. Any sort of bond you make with a fake persona is more-or-less fake and far from genuine, imo. At least most of the time. The safest bet if you're looking for real connections is to be true to both yourself and others, and that doesn't only apply to the internet. When I see someone who's most obviously pretending to be somebody they aren't, I just can't help but wonder why and what they hope to achieve...

ask for discord server
Jun 7, 2016 3:05 PM

Mar 2008
I don't have a persona, I am just me. I dont like when people arent themselves.
Jun 7, 2016 3:06 PM

Jan 2009
personally i do not have an online persona, i tend to be honest online, people can find my social media and personal info in here already, im neutral about other people being deceptive online though but if i ever find one i will try to avoid him/her as much as possible
Jun 7, 2016 3:10 PM

Dec 2012
Nope the jackass you get here is the jackass you get anywhere. I've never put up fronts online.
Jun 7, 2016 3:14 PM

Nov 2015
I really don't lie about stuff on the internet.. no point. I don't usually post under a username but I tried putting in my real name (usually my username for things) on here but it says it was taken?... idk. Not too many people walking around with AlbieG as their thing but it said it was taken.. idk.

Oops.. Did I just give away who I am? (sorta)
Jun 7, 2016 3:15 PM

Aug 2013
deadaccount___ said:
Moog said:
I couldn't agree more with this. Any sort of bond you make with a fake persona is more-or-less fake and far from genuine, imo. At least most of the time. The safest bet if you're looking for real connections is to be true to both yourself and others, and that doesn't only apply to the internet. When I see someone who's most obviously pretending to be somebody they aren't, I just can't help but wonder why and what they hope to achieve...

Exactly. If you gain friends with your "persona," your bond is fundamentally fake, because people aren't friends with the real you, but merely the act that you've put on. It's actually pretty sad. This applies just as much in the physical world as well, if somebody pretends to be someone that they're not, like you're saying.

Being genuine and free from pretense is one of the qualities that I value the most in others.
Jun 7, 2016 3:17 PM

Sep 2015
Gabagool said:
I really don't lie about stuff on the internet.. no point. I don't usually post under a username but I tried putting in my real name (usually my username for things) on here but it says it was taken?... idk. Not too many people walking around with AlbieG as their thing but it said it was taken.. idk.

A quick search shows there's no user by the name of AlbieG :p

Moog said:
Being genuine and free from pretense is one of the qualities that I value the most in others.
Agreed. I respect you and anyone else who thinks so.

ask for discord server
Jun 7, 2016 3:19 PM
Jul 2018
I usually switch Personas according to the need.
Jun 7, 2016 3:26 PM

Nov 2015
deadaccount___ said:
Gabagool said:

A quick search shows there's no user by the name of AlbieG :p

[spoiler]
Moog said:
Agreed. I respect you and anyone else who thinks so.
[/spoiler]

I know! but it didn't let me do it! wtf! Well that's my name on everything else.... f me lol
Jun 7, 2016 4:39 PM

Jul 2013
I pretended to be a guy in some games mostly because of how some communities looked down on girls.
Jun 7, 2016 4:41 PM

Oct 2014
Is this your way of asking me for a picture :p
Jun 7, 2016 5:51 PM

Feb 2015
When I was younger, I'd overly try to be cute as fuck (see also: burikko) in order to get people to like me.

Currently, I am not very anonymous in who I am or the way I act.. (most people don't use my real name though but rather a nickname based on my username) though I do still pull off the cutesy thing for shits. Though honestly It's also become part of me, like how I use kaomoji and say nyan/desu. I am sure I am a cringeworthy weeb, and to be honest, I don't mind at all because it's who I have become :) and I don't care about getting everyone's approval.

As for people who use personas, their true nature comes out the more I become friends with them. I don't mind if they want to be whoever they display themselves as, I just want to be able to trust them.
Jun 7, 2016 7:27 PM

Sep 2015
mochakawaiibear said:
Is this your way of asking me for a picture :p
I'm only into really hairy girls, so if you have hairy pits then yes

ask for discord server
Jun 7, 2016 7:40 PM

Jun 2013
When I was into MMORPGs I'd always say I was a guy. I liked being left alone, and that certainly helped.

Jun 7, 2016 8:00 PM

May 2013
I dont really have an online persona per say but I guess I try to act nonchalant? However apparently that's also me irl because many people have told me that I seem very carefree/laidback. But yeah especially on a forum, I don't have a particular persona because I only come on to post on threads and I'm usually being completely honest. Usually.
Jun 7, 2016 8:25 PM

Jun 2016
It's because this is the internet that people are able to create personas ("on the internet, nobody knows you are a cat" issomewhat signifcant to this statement). Maybe they just like the freedom of being someone else here since they hold something against their true self and are just trying to run away from it (I know it sounds pretentious, don't bother).
As for me, Irl I'm awkward as hell. I don't know how to start conversations or continue them. But here on MAL I just post whatever I want (most of the time). I know that this is because I'm afraid of people judging me. When on Mal, I don't feel like anyone is criticizing me, since I only see a wall of text and not the person himself. Hence, I'm able to talk freely.
Also, I'm kinder on the internet and on online games than in irl. In games, I used to give valuable stuff away if I couldn't use or sell them.
Apparently if I'm bored, I resort to social interaction for entertainment... I'm not sure what to feel about that.

Also, I'm starting to hate my username so call me whatever. Literally.
Jun 7, 2016 8:54 PM

Apr 2016
I don't use a persona and try to be as geniune as I can while still being safe. I can kinda see why seedy people or nervous people lie, but it really sucks.

Jun 7, 2016 9:14 PM

Feb 2016
Trekkie1999 said:
I don't use a persona and try to be as geniune as I can while still being safe. I can kinda see why seedy people or nervous people lie, but it really sucks.

What this guy said. I dont want to put too much info. of myself on the internet that everyone can see.
Jun 7, 2016 9:24 PM

Jul 2012
Every version of you is still you.
All my mes are pretty similar.
Jun 7, 2016 9:29 PM

Sep 2015
Coolspot said:
Every version of you is still you.
All my mes are pretty similar.
No matter what you say you'll always be a silly ad campaign for a very bad soft-drink

ask for discord server
Jun 7, 2016 9:30 PM

Sep 2014
Im an edgy hipster keyboard gangsta online ..
lewd is love, lewd is life !

Jun 7, 2016 9:48 PM

Jul 2015
Dessembrae said:
I usually switch Personas according to the need.

LMFAO I was waiting for this kind of comment
Jun 8, 2016 12:35 AM

Mar 2016
I don't lie online but I exaggerate and say things sarcastically, which I also do irl so it works out even better.

I don't really like giving out too much personal info, though.
Jun 8, 2016 12:53 AM

Dec 2015
Most of the time I only hide stuff (not putting it publicly visible in the profile). Then again I often post the truth and reveal stuff in threads if the topic interests me. Not lying there.

I do lie sometimes - but mainly when I want to get other people to to stuff and talk privately to them and want to seem cooler to them. :P
Jun 8, 2016 2:27 AM

Apr 2013
not persona persay but i'm way more talkative online than irl. i type like paragraphs on instant messengers and forums, but irl i'm pretty quiet & usually the quietest one in the group.

also i avoid people with heavy personas online. white lies to avoid hurt feelings is one thing, but lying about your identity is so distasteful imo. like if you want to avoid people finding you irl, just don't say anything
Jun 8, 2016 2:34 AM

Oct 2012
If you try to be yourself online and reveal more about yourself you'll just end up getting doxxed, so don't do that.
Jun 8, 2016 4:29 AM

Sep 2015
I don't really have a persona to maintain.
My personality here is pretty much the same as who I am irl
Jun 8, 2016 4:54 AM

May 2015
Not really
I don't care, it's the internet.
Because they don't want other people to find them irl I guess.
Jun 8, 2016 12:20 PM

Sep 2015
Martin said:
If you try to be yourself online and reveal more about yourself you'll just end up getting doxxed, so don't do that.
There's a thick line between being open about yourself and being a fucking idiot.

ask for discord server
Jun 8, 2016 12:30 PM

Oct 2012
deadaccount___ said:
Martin said:
There's a thick line between being open about yourself and being a fucking idiot.
It's surprisingly easy actually. Even posting something as simple as a picture of yourself can lead to some surprisingly nasty things. I've only ever posted a pic of myself once and some guy decides it was a funny idea to use alts to post my selfie on various threads, despite it being just a normal picture. I still have no idea why they would ever do that, but I don't post pics anymore.

That same guy also found my Skype somehow. I barely use it nowadays though so it doesn't matter much.

Also, that reminds me. Giving away your Skype is also rather dangerous. You may get your personal information and IP address leaked due to its insecurities.

It's honestly safer to have a mysterious persona online. The less you give away about yourself, the better.
Jun 8, 2016 12:39 PM

Sep 2015
Martin said:
deadaccount___ said:
It's surprisingly easy actually. Even posting something as simple as a picture of yourself can lead to some surprisingly nasty things. I've only ever posted a pic of myself once and some guy decides it was a funny idea to use alts to post my selfie on various threads, despite it being just a normal picture. I still have no idea why they would ever do that, but I don't post pics anymore.

That same guy also found my Skype somehow. I barely use it nowadays though so it doesn't matter much.

Also, that reminds me. Giving away your Skype is also rather dangerous. You may get your personal information and IP address leaked due to its insecurities.

It's honestly safer to have a mysterious persona online. The less you give away about yourself, the better.
Why would it be a bad thing if someone posted your picture around? :x
How is that even bullying in the first place "Hey look at this idiot he's a real person LOL" who's the joke in this situation, you or them? XD

On a further note, a little awareness goes a long way. Keeping track of your history on the internet is the key to keeping your net-security safe. Keeping track of everything you've discussed with people, what you've posted, linked, etc. Tracing on the internet is very simple and easy, but it can be avoided with that aforementioned awareness. There are, however, people who will legitimately hack you with tools and techniques that most people don't even know is possible, but they need bare minimum information and more importantly a reason to do so in the first place.

I told someone how rich I was as a joke and a few days later someone tried to break into my PayPal from America but ultimately failed because I have a decoy account that's entirely empty and use my actual bank details that are impossible to track anywhere online to make real transactions.

What you said about Skype having insecurities that leak your IP address, I don't even think that's true unless you get linked some IP tracking website and you're an idiot and click on it. Not that it really matters because I never browse the net without using a VPN for personal reasons. Sounds like speculation regardless.

ask for discord server
Jun 8, 2016 12:53 PM
Apr 2013
I don't do that to be honest, if anything that's what I do in real life
Jun 8, 2016 1:56 PM

Mar 2016
No I don't ,It's just bothersome to continue the act.
Ahh regarding what I think about those people , tbh I just think of them as people who lack self confidence to show there true selves or just some attention whores.
Jun 8, 2016 2:03 PM
Sep 2015
Well I hardly ever post stuff about myself online (I don't even bother to correct someone if they wrongly assume something about me), so in that regard you're braver than I am (I wouldn't even reveal my youtube account, much less stuff such as my fb), but all my opinions and preferences I post are geniune.
Jun 8, 2016 2:10 PM
Jun 2016
This usually happens imo with those who have problems interacting socially, and want to create a different, more sociable persona online.
Jun 8, 2016 2:45 PM

May 2016
I have a shitty personality and a total asshole. But I'd say irl I can be a decent guy.
Jun 8, 2016 3:43 PM

Apr 2016
I don't really show pictures of myself to people online, unless they're long time friends and aren't creeps. I also don't readily give out my real name or share my personal social media accounts with those online. I don't readily trust people online (or offline for that matter) right away and it takes a long time for me to warm up to them and feel ready to share super personal information. I've been in situations where I've been harassed and stalked online, so I like to play it safe.

That being said, I'm still myself online. I don't mind sharing personal stories and am completely comfortable having my age and gender in my profile. ^^

Art blog ^^
Jun 8, 2016 3:44 PM

Apr 2014
LadyKiriness said:
I don't really show pictures of myself to people online, unless they're long time friends and aren't creeps. I also don't readily give out my real name or share my personal social media accounts with those online. I don't readily trust people online (or offline for that matter) right away and it takes a long time for me to warm up to them and feel ready to share super personal information. I've been in situations where I've been harassed and stalked online, so I like to play it safe.

That being said, I'm still myself online. I don't mind sharing personal stories and am completely comfortable having my age and gender in my profile. ^^

Ayyy gurl what's yo number?

-------

I act like I do in real life like I do online

Like an idiot.
Jun 8, 2016 5:29 PM

Jan 2015
deadaccount___ said:
So it's no secret that a large percentage of the internet put up some sort of persona when they interact with others on the internet. It can be as simple as giving themselves a false backstory or life story (Like saying they're in a position that they're really not) or it can be as dangerous as pretending to a cute young girl when you're an old man.

I've always never been afraid of showing who I am. I have my picture both on my profile and signature. I'm linked to all my other social medias (besides Facebook because I have personal contacts on there and some of you are fucking scary and they don't deserve to deal with you, lol) I've even been linked to my YouTube channel a while ago where I talked about things and told stories - back when I was motivated to do new things and my channel was still active, and I received a lot of support from most of you guys as well as positive feedback.

That being said, I don't really understand why people need to be so deceptive.

Do you put on a persona online? What do you think of people who do? Why do you think people use online personas?

Discuss. c:

People do it to conform
To be someone they can't be in real life,
To find a niche on the net like being a fuckin weeb for example
To gain attention
And to get some little boys from ages 1-25 quality ass DICK

ur opinion = shit
Jun 8, 2016 11:55 PM

Nov 2008
Nope, I don't need one.I don't disapprove others doing so, it becomes much more interesting.
Jun 9, 2016 12:11 AM

Oct 2015
Nope, If anything the anonymity the internet offers makes me more open about my personal information/thoughts that I might not talk about in real life.
If you're reading this, then you be should banana the one often to effectively die apples through convergence, autism plus unicorns.
Jun 9, 2016 12:18 AM

May 2013
"Give a man a mask and he'll show his true self."

Such a pity one has to pretend both in real life and internet. Internet is where we don't have to worry being the real us. Therefore, I don't have that online persona.
Jun 9, 2016 12:23 AM

Nov 2015
I have a confession to make..
I'm not a college student from San Diego.
I'm actually an old Vietnamese man who lost some of his brain cells due to waterboarding back in '67.
People here think I'm retarded.. But I'm actually not and they won't let me around any highschool age girls..

If anyone's reading this pls send help!!
Jun 9, 2016 12:27 AM

May 2015
Reading my posts it might not seem like it, but I'm actually cool I swear.
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Jun 9, 2016 12:57 AM

Mar 2016
I used to be honest, that was a mistake. Now I have to act like less of an asshole from time to time. As for personal info, no more.
yangires > yanderes > tsunderes > other deres
Jun 9, 2016 1:14 PM
Jul 2018
I think people create personas because it gives them the freedom to be someone else, good or bad, and is a form of escapism. Sadly, there are many people who use them to hurt other people because of the anonymity.

That said, I don't put on any kind of online persona that isn't just myself--I use photos of myself, I don't hide my full, real name, etc--because I don't really see the point in being anyone but myself.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» is blocking users a admitance of cowardice?

vasipi4946 - Yesterday

26 by DesuMaiden »»
1 minute ago

» what is/are your most used app/s???

707supremacist - Apr 30

25 by DesuMaiden »»
2 minutes ago

» What are you insecure about the most?

Ejrodiew - Apr 30

21 by DesuMaiden »»
4 minutes ago

» Don you believe everyone is a Lil racist to a extent?

The-Nsider - 48 minutes ago

3 by KayKimii »»
42 minutes ago

» Do you ever miss old/former online friends? ( 1 2 )

pludel2 - Apr 10

50 by The-Nsider »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.