Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 7, 2016 12:36 AM

Aug 2014
Forum closed .........................................
oooo3333May 16, 2023 7:04 PM
Jun 7, 2016 12:44 AM

Jun 2015
Hang on. I need my Shinji kun here.

Glaaslip is hated because its main storyline went nowhere in favour of random "deep" musings which amounted to nothing as well.
Jun 7, 2016 1:04 AM

Jun 2015
I my memory isn't failing me, I saw a review with the same start. Maybe you wrote it? Haven't looked into it though. Whats he point of posting a forum thread about it?

set by secret santa ; thank you! ily ♥️
Jun 7, 2016 1:09 AM

Nov 2011
Otakus ... love moe, ... melodrama, sad background stories, and tears.

Sora no Method has all the moe and melodrama yet is disliked by the Otaku precisely because of the forced melodrama.

What the Otaku wanted was another Asukara, another Key anime.

how dare them wish for another series that they found to be enjoyable to watch.

They wanted the feels. And they did not get that. Instead, they got reality.

Shirobako is as close to reality as you'd get while still showing the whole anime production process in a way that doesn't feel like a documentary.
Shirobako is highly regarded despite lacking all the "feels" as you said.
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jun 7, 2016 1:39 AM

Mar 2015
i feel insulted.. i never watch nagi no asakura because love polygon drama is not my thing, but glasslip has comedy and SOL tag when they first aired so i at least give them a try..

glaslip is not deep, NOR complex... how to say this.. umm...

they are over minimilastic in things they try to tell that left too many ambigious interpretatious tone that left soo many possibility meanings... it make the viewer make their own meaning... and none of them actually proved by the series it self outside some hint here and there that can be argued and another theories ending can be logical as well..

just try read last episode discussion, many interesting thories possibly explained it, but the other theories also logical as well, but none can be said that is the truth, or at least mayority interpretation

also realsitic? lOl... even my summer much more exciting than that and it coming from a nerds with few friends...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Jun 7, 2016 2:09 AM

Feb 2013
Glasslip is hated because it's boring AF, it's that simple. You don't need to write a thesis about it.
Jun 7, 2016 4:03 AM

Feb 2013
ooo333 said:
TheNextChamp said:
Glasslip is hated because it's boring AF, it's that simple. You don't need to write a thesis about it.

There are many threads and videos criticizing Glasslip majorly. Just because there is one thread or video praising it, doesn't mean you have to get offensive. If an anime is boring, then just drop it. But Glasslip wasn't just dropped, it was criticized and anime fans decided it to ripped it a new one. That's the point of this thread. If you consider Glasslip boring, then it makes me wonder why you are in the Glasslip section. Let me guess, to rip it a new one as well because its the cool thing to do?

no because I saw it in the right corner with on the new discussions thingy lol
Hating on glasslip was the cool thing to do almost 2 years ago, now it's already old so no it's not that bro, I just wanted to say glasslip is hated because it's boring nothing more
Jun 7, 2016 4:06 AM

Dec 2012
Glass lip is hated because it is stale and gets old incredibly fast, showcasing plot eliments that could've been interesting if they didn't just show them and proceed to go nowhere with them. Casting uninteresting characters that have next to no personality, with no real goals that the viewer will find likable or intriguing, and a plot line that runs in circles. It just ends up being a chore to watch, I couldn't even be bothered watching the final episode because I didn't care enough to see a conclusion that would essentially mean nothing. It's okay for you to like it but don't try to say it's because of people who enjoy moe shows. I doubt those kinds of viewers would've picked this up in the first place :P
Jun 7, 2016 4:07 AM

Feb 2013
ooo333 said:
TheNextChamp said:

no because I saw it in the right corner with on the new discussions thingy lol
Hating on glasslip was the cool thing to do almost 2 years ago, now it's already old so no it's not that bro, I was wanted to say it's hated because it's boring nothing more

School Days almost ten years later gets the hate treatment. So yeah, two years does not matter.

well yeah School Days is hated for different reasons, it will always be relevant. Glasslip will be forgotten in a couple of years
Jun 12, 2016 9:03 AM

May 2013
> It was non-episodic, mature, and felt real

Yes, the jedi illusion episode indeed felt very real and mature. I really did not understand what SoL should be for all my life!

Jun 17, 2016 1:43 PM

Feb 2014
BRB-kun said:
Glaaslip is hated because its main storyline went nowhere in favour of random "deep" musings which amounted to nothing as well.
I think this sums up most of the hate towards Glasslip. People can't accept stories that goes nowhere or ambiguous endings. It have to be simmetrical.
Most anime plots are just like video game. When something steps outside this formula it feels like you guys can't accept the different thing.
Jun 25, 2016 4:13 AM

Jun 2013
Uh oh someone had to defend a shit anime that had a plot which was all over the place.

This was probably the most hated anime at the time, because we had to find out what the hell was going on at the time. Even in the last episode we were wondering "why the hell did the guy leave?" And "will that guy fall in love with his sister"

The saddest part is the chicken was the most interesting part of the whole anime
Sep 29, 2016 6:55 AM

Sep 2016
After having read the OP I am now really intrigued in watching Glasslip.
I'm a big fan of slow SoL shows so this show might actually surprise it.
Oct 30, 2016 3:46 PM

Jan 2016
Very much agree with this. Glasslip is great anime surrounded with wrong expectations.

It's one of my favorite, glad someone else noticed what a true gem it is.
"The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply." - Unknown
Jan 21, 2018 7:59 PM

Oct 2017
Damm, even the worst anime have some fans I guess..lol
Mar 25, 2018 4:29 AM

Aug 2017
Champ said:
Lol good breakdown. Just finished it and I agree. It's just not a fun anime.
Feb 28, 2019 6:27 PM

Mar 2012
OP, I admire your optimism, but your thesis is way off.

There are several reasons why Glasslip is hated. For starters, P.A. Works carries the clout of making phenomenal romance, slice of life, and paranormal anime (excluding RDG: Red Data Girl...there was nothing phenomenal about that). With that being said, people went into this series thinking it’s going to be a fascinating paranormal romance anime. Just one problem...

The characters were about as likable as Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer. I get the whole “friendships drifting apart” element. As someone who has made and lost more friends in his lifetime than the average person, I completely get that. Hell, that’s actually one of the big focal points of one of my favorite anime of all-time (Ano Hana). However, as I watched this series, I felt no remorse for the emotions of these kids because these kids being friends in the first place was bad. These kids were just downright bad friends with shitty personalities. All I could think throughout the series was, “my God, Touka needs to kick her friends to the fucking curb because these kids are just the shittiest of people.”

To add insult to injury, there just wasn’t any chemistry between Kakeru and Touka. Kakeru was about as boring as burnt toast and Touka just seemed incredibly oblivious to everything around her. There was nothing to their interactions that screamed “budding romance.” It just felt like a typical “protagonist is attracted to mysterious new kid” plot, but there was nothing interesting about the “mysterious new kid.”

The other thing I take issue with OP is you claiming that this anime wasn’t designed for otaku. How do you know it was otaku that are hating it? I don’t consider myself an otaku and I watch a fair share of deep, compelling anime...and even I thought it was slow paced and boring as shit. I didn’t find it “2 deep 4 u” either, it wasn’t deep...it was nonsensical. The show went in so many directions that ultimately ended nowhere.

So I disagree with your assessment wholeheartedly. People don’t hate it because it was “deep” or “different.” They hated it because it was just an overall bad show with terrible execution.
Apr 21, 2019 9:56 AM
Feb 2016
For my 250th anime I decided to watch one of the worst-rated animes on MAL, with the expectation of actually finding an underrated good one; and I wasn't exactly disappointed.

I've seen plenty of animes that start with interesting premises and go nowhere with them or had uninteresting characters or boring plots (or even no plot at all), yet most are rated "fine" or above.

The "hatred" Glasslip gets is completely irrational.

Glasslip is better than that, if you can read between the lines. One thing that could stop the misunderstanding about Glasslip is to replace the "supernatural" tag by the "shoujo" tag.

Toucanbird's comment is symptomatic of the misunderstanding:

> there just wasn’t any chemistry between Kakeru and Touka

Yes there isn't. They believe they share a supernatural ability so they think that maybe they are meant to be together but they are not. The uncertain chemistry is obviously intentional.

> I don’t consider myself an otaku and I watch a fair share of deep, compelling anime...and even I thought it was slow paced and boring as shit. I didn’t find it “2 deep 4 u” either, it wasn’t deep...it was nonsensical

Just because you don't find it deep doesn't mean it isn't. This is specially true for people that make statements as subtle as "characters were about as likable as stage 4 pancreatic cancer", "boring as shit", and/or don't even realize how terrible Sankarea is, for instance.

The problem is not that it is "too deep", but rather that it is "too subtle". The pace is not "slow", the show is quiet like Just Because! is: it doesn't feature "tears fireworks". It doesn't tell you where you should laugh and where you should cry.

> People don’t hate it because it was “deep” or “different.”

Yes they do, at least for the "different" part; they just don't realize that "it's not like..." and "different" are different ways to say the same thing. Glasslip is not a "big moments" anime, that's why you find it "slow paced and boring as shit".

It is a shoujo featuring a male lead with a peculiar but at the same time classic childhood trauma. It doesn't make him be mean to the protagonist like it is often the case in shoujos, but rather lead him to try to get close to the female lead because of it - with the false reason of solving the "fragments of the future" mystery. Which in turn leads to wrong expectations on her part. Actually they were both fooled and cynically that's what romances are sometimes: two people fooling themselves. Yet they get something from it. And once more not in in big, spectacular and explicit ways but in subtle ways.

The supernatural element is therefore not a main topic in Glasslip - one can even interpret it as a case of chuunibyou - but rather a plot device like (amusingly because it is sort of the opposite) amnesia is. That's what you and probably many others missed entirely.
xorialMay 16, 2019 9:43 AM
May 5, 2019 2:33 AM
Jan 2018
I almost decided against posting this after skimming through the 10+ other posts here. Most of the posts pretty consistently bullet point the cons of this show. But, why the hell not add to the mix and vent a little.

In typical PA works fashion, the setting and backdrop design are gorgeous. The town the series takes place in is lovingly and meticulously crafted to create the feel of a very realistic and warm small ocean town. The show is at its best when no one is talking or moving and the camera just pans over the gorgeous hi-def view.

As far as substance goes, there is little. PA Works has always relied on cute, quirky characters tangled in, more or less, light drama, occasionally with some light fantasy element subplots or something mixed in to create its own unique charm. Glasslip is possibly the most shallow, cheap imitation of that PA Works charm. Instead of a close-knit group of friends marching through adolescence together (like Nagi no Asukara), they all end up seeming like sociopaths with incredibly unhealthy romantic obsessions with one another.

The story also doesn't seem to make much sense. Early on, the group splinters off when a new kid moves into town. Everyone seems to blame him, and all the weird chickenhawk symbolism seems to confirm that. Only, looking back on it, he didn't, and there's really no good reason why the group (who we are informed of over and over are all super besties) splits up so easily. This same thing can also be applied to the incredibly silly fantasy/sci-fi(?) subplot involving the two main characters. Apparently they can "see" and "hear" the future. At first only when doing certain things, and only together? Then at any time for no real reason? Then maybe it isn't the future? Then maybe it is? These questions all go unanswered because it's clear the writers just don't care. And it's hard to care when they don't.

Seriously though, what is the deal with all the frigging chicken symbolism?
And probably any 4 of these characters could have been combined into two full, round characters.

This, along with Ousama Game, are easily the worst animes I've ever seen. Seriously tho, this was god awful.
allblue1May 5, 2019 2:41 AM

More topics from this board

» Can someone explain the end ?

Shomix - Dec 5, 2014

22 by oooo3333 »»
Apr 3, 12:09 AM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 25, 2014

441 by oooo3333 »»
Feb 7, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2014

179 by oooo3333 »»
May 18, 2023 2:25 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2014

211 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 2:52 PM

Poll: » Glasslip Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 31, 2014

153 by oooo3333 »»
May 16, 2023 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.