Forum Settings
Forums

What sets a good comedy and a bad comedy anime apart?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 11, 2016 4:57 PM

Dec 2012
Gabagool said:
I hate when people say "oh well if it makes you laugh, it's good comedy." or "blah blah blah I laughed so it must be funny." A lot of things can make you laugh but that doesn't mean it's good. That's like saying Call of Duty is a good game because a lot of people like it. CoD sucks and so does Dane Cook.

tbh I haven't seen too many comedy anime and I seem to be in the minority when I say some of the shows I get the most enjoyment out of comedy wise are like key adaptations but I figured I'd stop by and put my 2 cents in on comedy. Obviously jokes come in all shapes and sizes but good jokes are the ones that either have you come back or have a deeper meaning. You know why George Carlin is known as the best comic ever to many people? It's because his 'jokes' are actually all thought provoking and still funny years later. Topical humor is very rarely 'good comedy' because they get stale after a week.

I could rant all day about comedy but I really don't know if this is the place to do it and I'm sorry to say I don't have a recommendation for a good comedy anime but if you find one let me know lol

First: Saying "oh if it makes you laugh then it's good" isn't the same as saying CoD is good because a lot of people like it. One's dependent on your own response, the other is dependent on the response of a large group of people. I apologize in advance if I placed more emphasis on your wording than you intended.

Second: Why does CoD suck if a lot of people like it? If it's brought a ton of people enjoyment doesn't that mean that it's more 'good' than I am, since I've brought essentially zero people enjoyment? It seems a little bit silly to dismiss as 'bad' something that has made life better, even if only slightly, for a large number of people, and I'm curious why you feel that way.

Third: Why are the best jokes the ones that "have you come back or have a deeper meaning?" Why does something have to be 'thought provoking' to be good? When I look back on what I've found funny, what stands out most isn't things that "made me think," it's stuff that's at the intellectual level of a 3rd grader and unashamed of it. Actually there's not a single example of 'thought provoking' comedy that comes to mind as something I enjoyed considerably. You can call me defective all you want for liking 'bad' comedy and not appreciating 'good' comedy, but if 'bad' comedy is that funny I'll take it over 'good' comedy any day, and I don't see the point in calling it 'bad' in that case.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Current MAL Top 10 Most Popular Anime

LittleStar - May 4

48 by LittleStar »»
3 minutes ago

» Which anime from this currend season has a scene where time stop?

Nelsolino - 37 minutes ago

1 by tchitchouan »»
3 minutes ago

» Which anime brings back memories of nostalgia for you?

Gashadokur0 - 12 hours ago

19 by Coaghim »»
8 minutes ago

» What anime deserve continuations

Idk5008 - 3 hours ago

20 by moonfooxy »»
12 minutes ago

» Who had beef or fought in anime like the current drake vs kendrick lamar?

FarWalker - 39 minutes ago

1 by Zarutaku »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.