May 2016
the characters are hilarious and well written

the plot and story are both fantastic

the comedy is top notch after the first 30 episodes

and the serious arcs are some of the best arcs i have seen in anything ever

hands down my favorite shonen
Nov 21, 2016 6:10 AM

Oct 2016
If someone ever questions what Gintama has to offer, go up Youtube and find a few badass AMVs. Then compare that to the comedic spectacle of the first few episodes, and take note that EVERYTHING in between is Gintama, what Gintama can be, and what Gintama has been. To compare other animes to Gintama is like comparing Super Mario Bros to World of Warcraft, not that either is inferior to the other.
Dec 15, 2016 8:32 AM
Nov 2016
The way the show tackles, successfully, many different themes. Many genres are in play from comedy to tragedy; all of these genres are employed in a cohesive fashion effortlessly...
Jan 8, 2017 12:16 AM
Jan 2017
I can no longer watch any other anime. Any other comedy anime is dull. Any other action anime is mediocre. Any other dramatic anime is cliche. People who call others "fanboys", are 100% correct. But there are just more Gintama fanboys, cause it's the best anime around. Period.

People saying "It was dull, only got to the first 10-15 episodes" are actually just foolish, since general knowledge of this anime has stated NUMEROUS times that you have to power through the first 20-30 episodes before it shines.
Jan 8, 2017 1:13 AM

Jan 2015
werdnaajb said:
I can no longer watch any other anime.
Watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.
Jan 8, 2017 10:59 AM

Jun 2012
Wiziliz said:
werdnaajb said:
I can no longer watch any other anime.
Did you hear him right? He said no other Anime.
Jan 8, 2017 11:13 AM

Apr 2013
every 5 episodes i laugh at something but the rest of it is just mediocre gags with basic punch lines and the typical anime rebuttal and then other quarter of it is actually just like a typical shounen, with morally pooplifting speeches and grandstanding, and of coarse deathly boring action scenes, there's also a meta aspect to it which is the least tedious part to it all but 40% of that drags too, the series is just so meeeh
Jan 8, 2017 11:20 AM
Aug 2011
999 said:
Wiziliz said:
Did you hear him right? He said no other Anime.

Gintama and Jojo. YorozuyaGinSan 2012 lives.
Jan 11, 2017 8:05 AM
Oct 2015
ziggy_Z said:
Literally, everything.

Pretty damn accurate xD
Oct 25, 2017 1:03 PM

Oct 2014
For me, the absurd comedy got me into it, but the flawless execution of the "package" wich represents the show, the variety of characters, every single one with it's unique personality, some "serious" mini arcs here and there hooked me for good.
Oct 26, 2017 7:44 AM

Sep 2011
I really fucking hate it, te characters are pointless and theres literally no plot whatsoever.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 26, 2017 8:22 AM

Jan 2010
Lumeister said:
I always hear people talking about how good Gintama is and right after it's done airing it got to #1. I tried around 10 episodes of the first season and didn't really see what's so special about it. So what do gintama fans like about it? I'm not trying to bash anything but I just want to know what kind of anime it is to see if I'll pick it up again. Plz be more specific than "it's funny". thx

Is funny is not enough reason??
If the comedy is not your kind then your loss I guess haha

1. No other anime make me laugh and cry as much as Gintama
2. Likeable main cast
3. Interesting characters
4. Great story when it got serious (some prefer the usual comedy, I like both)
5. Incredible action when it got serious
6. One of a kind, as in, no other anime is like Gintama. When I think Gintama can't be more ridiculous, it did. Never fail to surprise me again and again
7. Really it's just really unique, the amount of time the characters break the 4th wall... like, where else you see the characters actually figthing over their popularity poll ranking
Oct 26, 2017 11:28 AM

Sep 2011
Jetsies said:
JizzyHitler said:
I really fucking hate it, te characters are pointless and theres literally no plot whatsoever.

That's a common impression if you dropped the show early.
I mean even if you watch alot of it theres not much different, combining the serious arcs together does make up an overarching story of sorts but its pretty blatantly thought up along the way. It really was not until the courtesan of a nation arc that sorachi started to tie things together and start thinking of a means to actually end the series.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Oct 26, 2017 11:40 AM

Sep 2017
It is hilarious.
Has top tier op, ed, and ost
Has very good story arcs and made me have a feels trip lots of times
"When you made this thread, I cried and screamed"

-Swagernator 2017
Oct 26, 2017 7:26 PM

Sep 2011
Jetsies said:
JizzyHitler said:
I mean even if you watch alot of it theres not much different, combining the serious arcs together does make up an overarching story of sorts but its pretty blatantly thought up along the way. It really was not until the courtesan of a nation arc that sorachi started to tie things together and start thinking of a means to actually end the series.

It's been tied up since benizakura arc. The words Katsura said about Gintoki that he's the one that should've hated the world the most, in benizakura arc. Gin's reaction when Otose was in danger in Four Devas, his reaction about Tsukuyo's master in Red Spider. And not to mention the subtle hints from the comedy arcs. They're all linked about his past. It's a huge build up to the characters and their relationships also. I don't get why you said there's no plot/ the characters are useless.
if you actually go back and look at those arcs, all of them just leave a bunch of plotpoints with very little planning for where they will go and just kept introducing more of them as it went on, it really wasnt until courtesean sorachi started to make efforts of tying things together, he even admits this in some interviews its not a bad thing, gintama as a whole is very unplanned and sorachi's writing process is he will start off every arc as a comedy arc and decide from there if it will stay only comedy or serious and it wasnt till like 2011 or 2012 that he really started to plan out the plot outline.

why else do you think there was a 110 episode gap between takasugi's faction doing fucking anything, the plot absolutly was not planned, hell the series originally wasnt even going to get serious at all in its initial start, he started fucking around with the tones more in his 2nd year of the manga. Sorachi is just really good at improvisation and bringing back random old details like altana.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Oct 27, 2017 2:58 AM

Feb 2016
- The Anime is for fun but it can also give you some more serious moments.
- The Comedy is not for everybody because it's more different but it's still funny. It's dark humour, trolls and parodies.
- The characters are the highlight of the Anime. They are so many and almost all of them are loveable.
- It can also be pretty dark at some points. Some of the dramatic moments are really strong and emotional.
- Don't expect to much even if it can get dark. The Anime doesn't change too much.
- Gintama does many things that many other Animes doesn't do.
- The fights are pretty badass and epic and not too long.
- The relationship between the characters is perfect.
- Gintama is a parodie of many Anime Genres and makes fun of it.
-AyuOct 27, 2017 3:05 AM

I will not believe that everything is controlled by fate.

ll X ll
Oct 27, 2017 3:52 AM

Apr 2017
Funny moments and good fights

"elles sont bien noires
les pensées des nuits blanches"

Oct 27, 2017 6:43 AM
Jul 2018
if there's anything that really appeals to me is the advertisement for TL-R. just this ep i was watching gintoki says
only TL-R has balls to show nipples in jump
gahahahahaha :D
Feb 23, 2019 6:33 AM
Oct 2011
I hate everything about gintama and that's that. Overrated toxic anime.
Feb 23, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2017
Warrior3 said:

swim in salt piss boi.
Feb 24, 2019 4:38 AM
Oct 2011
Quercitron said:
Warrior3 said:

swim in salt piss boi.

IDGAF what you say, i used to like gintama but now it ticks me off and i dropped it.
Feb 24, 2019 7:01 AM

Nov 2017
Warrior3 said:
Quercitron said:

swim in salt piss boi.

IDGAF what you say, i used to like gintama but now it ticks me off and i dropped it.

And that's why you necroed these threads.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 41 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Tyrel - Jan 20, 2016

160 by wibugar »»
May 9, 3:23 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cupc - Jul 29, 2015

125 by Jellybeanx »»
May 6, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Jan 13, 2016

252 by sno0pcatt »»
May 4, 5:19 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tyrel - Mar 30, 2016

251 by ThalosShrine »»
Apr 15, 8:12 PM

Poll: » Gintama° Episode 47 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tyrel - Mar 2, 2016

113 by HyperNova06 »»
Mar 20, 11:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.