Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 30, 2016 3:00 PM

Oct 2014
Original FAQ made by @ZeroDragon here
ZeroDragon said:

Foreword

The anime "Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works" is not a remake nor a continuation of the "Fate/Stay Night" anime that premiered in 2006. The 2014 F/SN UBW adapts the Unlimited Blade Works route of the visual novel rather closely (though there are still things that were excluded) while the 2006 F/SN was an inaccurate and botched adaptation of the source material (though whether or not it's good as a standalone anime depends on the individual viewer).

If you have seen Fate/Zero before starting this show, then please keep an open mind and don't expect to be watching Fate/Zero 2. F/Z and F/SN were written by different authors with different approaches to the stories that are in themselves different in tone and what aspects they focus on, so to expect any of them to be like the other may hinder your full enjoyment.

This is what Kinoko Nasu (the author of F/SN and creator of the franchise) told the anime staff prior to the production of F/SN UBW:

Where do I start?
Choose one of these options to get into the series:

Anime-only: UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero. Go with this order if you want to only experience the Fate series in anime form. However, you won't be getting the complete Fate/Stay Night experience because there is no good anime adaption of the Fate route. The Fate route is mainly Saber's story while also serving as an introduction and worldbuilding route. Although, it's not entirely necessary to read the Fate route first, so if you don't want to take the plunge into VNs, the UBW anime is your next best way to start the series.

Intended: Fate route of the VN -> UBW anime -> HF movies -> Fate/Zero. Go with this order if you prefer to experience the series as it was intended with the first route of the VN, and experiencing the rest in anime form. The Fate route is roughly 12 hours long and is the ideal introduction to the series. It also seems like ufotable intends for people to play the Fate route before watching their UBW adaption by advertising that the route is free for smartphones (japan only) at the bottom of their website. It's widely agreed that the VN has a very slow start, but I assure you once it picks up you'll have trouble trying to put it down.

Brave: Entire F/SN visual novel -> Fate/Zero -> UBW anime -> HF movies. I recommend this order if you just can't wait at all for the adaptions or prefer to experience F/SN in it's original, uncut form. With the full story being available to you but having to wait until the end of Spring 2015 for UBW to finish, and who knows how long for all the HF movies to be completed, and then finally getting to watch Fate/Zero, I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up going with this order when you originally were following one of the other options. You also get to see how well ufotable adapts the story and don't get to miss out on all the things that were cut. Just be prepared to spend 50+ hours as it is a very long VN, but it's definitely worth every second.

Credit for the quote regarding where to start goes to RedShadoww, taken from his awesome guide:

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

http://www.reddit.com/r/anime/wiki/seriesfaq-fate

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

^ a source that you will read if you're new to the franchise.

READ THE INFORMATION IN THE ABOVE LINK FIRST, then read below for additional Q&A, and then check out the Q&A thread http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1292653 if you still have any questions.

F/Z = Fate/Zero
F/SN = Fate/Stay Night

Subsections:
-General (general questions regarding the Fate franchise and the Type-MOON universe)
-F/SN vs F/Z (regarding the comparisons between them and the thoughts someone might have after watching Fate/Zero first)
-F/SN UBW 2014 vs F/SN 2006 and F/SN UBW 2010 (regarding the comparisons between them and the thoughts someone might have after watching the latter two first)
-F/SN UBW 2014 Specific (explanations to questions and thoughts an anime-only viewer might be wondering about after watching up to specific episodes)
-Additional Information

General

Q: There are so many spinoffs. Is there a visual that would help in making sense of the Fate branch of the Nasuverse?
A:

Credit: ???

Q: I don't feel that any of the three recommended viewing paths are a good fit for me.
A: While ultimately everyone can do as they please, it's fact that Fate/Stay Night (and naturally it's story) is the original source material. Fate/Zero was made AFTER Fate/Stay Night and its plot makes it very evident that it assumes the viewer has knowledge of F/SN. Additional discussion regarding the reasoning behind watching F/SN before F/Z and other works in the Fate franchise and can be found in the following thread:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1234355

Q: What are the Heaven's Feel movies?
A: http://myanimelist.net/anime/25537/Fate/stay_night:_Heavens_Feel
Heaven's Feel is the third and final route of Fate/Stay Night and will be adapted as one or more movies.

Q: I read only the Fate route of the visual novel, and I wasn't too fond of Shirou. Is he different in UBW and HF?
A: Yes. Shirou's reasoning and decision making changes across each route. He's most idealistic in Fate.

Q: [Insert character here] barely had any screen time, yet they were just barely introduced in this show or had played a role in F/Z???
A: Every route gives a different amount of focus to each character (not counting Shirou since every route is from his perspective). So, if you find that one character didn't have as much of a role in UBW as you'd like, then they'll most likely have a larger or even central role in the Fate and/or HF routes.

F/SN vs F/Z

Q: F/SN has teenage protagonists. Is this less mature than Fate/Zero?
A: Debatable, but it's best to just keep an open mind and see how the plot unfolds before you judge. Don't write off something just because there's a high school and teenagers until you actually know the plot.

Q: Is this less dark than F/Z?
A: Debatable. This could be more or less depending on your tastes. HF is the generally considered the darkest of the three routes.

Q: Why doesn't F/SN introduce all of the masters at the beginning like F/Z did?
A: F/Z has an ensemble cast whereas F/SN is focused on a smaller group of clear protagonists. You'll be introduced to the other masters as the story continues.

Q: I watched F/Z already. Did I screw myself over?
A: The shock factor from numerous revelations will be gone, but instead you can still enjoy the anticipation of when the characters discover those revelations and also enjoy the foreshadowing that you manage to notice.

F/Z and F/SN episode zero (prologue) spoiler:
Q: Why does this Archer look

F/Z and F/SN episode zero (prologue) spoiler:
Q: This Lancer looks

Q: I watched F/Z and so far they haven't really told us anything we didn't already know. Why is that?
Q: Why are Fate fans strongly recommending against watching F/Z before experiencing the story of F/SN?

A: Keep in mind that F/Z was a prequel made after F/SN. As well as F/Z might have done in getting newcomers up to speed, F/SN is a standalone story so it doesn't and can't make the assumption that everyone has already seen F/Z beforehand if it's to be faithful to the source material. Essentially this question is akin to watching a remastered version of the original Star Wars trilogy and asking why it explains things that you already know from watching the prequel trilogy or why it may appear to have a different feel or tone.

Follow up Q: But I watched F/Z first and I swear they're treating this anime as a sequel to it. Just look at all the references!

A: Many of the references that you see were already present in the original source material, though this anime plays them up more or less. They only appear to be references because they were the pieces of information used in creating F/Z. The other references were added in by Ufotable for this show as an acknowledgment that F/Z exists and that many viewers had already seen it. However, as good of a prequel that F/Z was and no matter how well it flows into F/SN, the fact remains that F/SN's story is standalone and was written first, and F/Z was meant to be complimentary material that goes in depth regarding the past that F/SN refers to. It's ok if you watched F/Z first, but don't act like it was the intended starting point of this franchise as it will spoil numerous things in F/SN (in particular the Heaven's Feel route which will be made into a movie or series of movies).

Additionally, here is an excerpt from the end of Volume I of the Fate/Zero light novel (in spoiler tags to reduce clutter)

F/SN UBW 2014 vs F/SN 2006 and F/SN UBW 2010

Q: Shirou is still the main character. Is he annoying like in the 2006 adaptation?
A: Again, the 2006 adaptation butchered many aspects of F/SN, especially Shirou's character.

Q: How much does the previous UBW movie adaptation by DEEN spoil this anime?
A: DEEN's UBW movie is essentially a brief summary of this anime and is mainly just action scenes with little context. You'll end up spoiling the plot for yourself without actually understanding much of it due to the lack of context and rob yourself of the full experience.

Where can I find additional discussion regarding F/SN 2006 vs F/SN UBW 2014?
A: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1299915
Related (posted on the F/SN 2006 forum): http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=635739

Spoilers up to episode two:
Q: I watched the original 2006 anime adaptation and so far this adaptation doesn't seem

F/SN UBW 2014 Specific

Spoilers up to episode three:
Q: In the fight, why didn't Archer just target

Spoilers up to episode four:
Q: I don't like the way that Shirou has been acting. Will he change? Is this just the result of bad characterization?

Spoilers up to episode five:
Q: What's up with the retreat of

Spoilers up to episode ten:
Q: What's the deal with Shirou's counterattack?

Q: Why doesn't Rin bring

Q: How did a human

Q: So that retreat...

Spoilers up to episode 12
Q: Shirou used

Q: Just what exactly is that Noble Phantasm used by

Q: How did

Q: Why did Shirou stop

Q: Ok, so why exactly is Taiga so important?
A: Taiga's grandfather pays for and oversees the land that Shirou lives on, and Taiga herself is a big sister figure to Shirou and looked after him after Kiritsugu's death. So yes, she's kind of a big deal to Shirou. Keep in mind that it's

(Spoiler up to episode 12)

Q: But Shirou knew the

Q: Near the end of the episode, what's the

Additional Information

Q: What are the attributes, class abilities, skills, and noble phantasms of the servants that are shown in this anime?
A: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1287299

Q: Despite all of the introductions and explanations presented in the early episodes, I'm still confused.
A: Things get will be explained at the appropriate time, just as most stories do. Stories present mysteries and information at the beginning which are then unraveled and explained as the plot progresses. But if you find that over time those questions aren't being answered, you could ask in a separate topic or check out Type-Moon's wiki.

Q: What does Type-Moon think of the DEEN adaptations?
A: http://images.sgcafe.net/2014/09/large__20140926234040ca7.jpg
Note that the Fate/Zero anime was included in the timeline. I think it speaks for itself.

Q: I have more questions. Where are good places for me to ask?
A: While you could create a new topic on here or ask in some other topic (however this could potentially lead to its derailment), here's a conveniently designated place for Q&A:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1292653

There's also the Fate/Stay Night subreddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/fatestaynight/new/

Q: Where can I find more information on Type-Moon's works?
A: http://typemoon.wikia.com
However, be very careful of spoilers.

Closing Words
Lastly, if you are genuinely interested in truly experiencing or learning why Fate has received as much hype as it has, you will have to read the visual novel no matter how close this adaptation may be as there are numerous details and inner thoughts that have been excluded.

@Tyrel
can you please sticky this? Can provide help who only just heard about the Series and looked here first instead of ubw subforum.
ShrimperorMar 30, 2016 3:12 PM
Mar 30, 2016 3:02 PM

Aug 2010
Nice going, Shrimpy. Hopefully this will reduce the future watch order threads.
Mar 30, 2016 3:03 PM

Sep 2011
Done. Like the previous topics, please do not make this a general chat thread.
Mar 30, 2016 3:12 PM

Sep 2014
yall think this should also go into the Fate/extra subforum also? or maybe someone should just type up a much more brief FAQ?
Mar 30, 2016 3:21 PM

Oct 2014
The Thing is, there isn't really much about F/E in the FAQ.
Mar 30, 2016 3:23 PM

Sep 2014
Shrimperor said:
The Thing is, there isn't really much about F/E in the FAQ.
true.....F/E prob doesnt really need any sort of sticky thread....i take it not many really ask in the prisma illiya subforum?
Mar 30, 2016 3:37 PM

Sep 2013
Tyrel said:

No problem
We now know to stay off MAL for any Fate general discussions.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 30, 2016 3:57 PM

Sep 2014
Mickdrew said:
Tyrel said:

No problem
you guys hanging out on beast lair or somethin
Mar 30, 2016 4:00 PM

Oct 2014
Maloghurst said:
Mickdrew said:

No problem

Eh not really
we are mostly either in the FGO/TM club around here, or the Skype Fate chat where some of us are.
Mar 30, 2016 4:04 PM

Sep 2014
Shrimperor said:
Maloghurst said:

Eh not really
we are mostly either in the FGO/TM club around here, or the Skype Fate chat where some of us are.
i c. was reading Shinji/stay night and you guy seem to vanish at random intervals, now onetrue emiya is gone
Apr 8, 2016 7:21 AM
Mar 2016
astroprogs said:
I'm sure people out there still asking about this :v
Apr 18, 2016 8:09 AM

Dec 2015
Kingof1k said:
astroprogs said:

Stop shaming people then. If you let them watch shows in whatever order they want, there wouldn't be so many threads about it.
Apr 18, 2016 8:19 AM
Mar 2016
CherryLover said:
Kingof1k said:

Stop shaming people then. If you let them watch shows in whatever order they want, there wouldn't be so many threads about it.

What's your problem?
Apr 18, 2016 8:20 AM

Dec 2015
Kingof1k said:
CherryLover said:

What's your problem?

What do you mean by that? I have no problem with you bar the grievances I stated above.
Apr 18, 2016 8:27 AM
Mar 2016
CherryLover said:
Kingof1k said:

What's your problem?

What do you mean by that? I have no problem with you bar the grievances I stated above.
This thread hadn't been seen for days then you suddenly come then "blablabla" on me. Why do you take that seriously? You don't like that your favourite character getting insulted? You want to know why there are so much people come to here to troll? 'cuz there are people like you who won't to ignore it and take those seriously
Apr 18, 2016 8:30 AM

Dec 2015
Kingof1k said:
CherryLover said:

This thread hadn't been seen for days then you suddenly come then "blablabla" on me. Why do you take that seriously? You don't like that your favourite character getting insulted? You want to know why there are so much people come to here to troll? 'cuz there are people like you who won't to ignore it and take those seriously

I won't even bother. Your whole post makes no sense. Come back when you can type coherent English.
Apr 18, 2016 8:33 AM
Mar 2016
CherryLover said:
Kingof1k said:

I won't even bother. Your whole post makes no sense. Come back when you can type coherent English.
Oh you suddenly become grammar nazi?
Apr 18, 2016 8:35 AM
Mar 2016
CherryLover said:
Kingof1k said:

Sakura Worm Queen
Apr 18, 2016 8:41 AM

Dec 2015
Kingof1k said:
CherryLover said:

Sakura Worm Queen

Bravo, the troll insulted a character. Bravo. Would you like a piece of candy for your efforts?
Apr 18, 2016 10:55 AM

Mar 2016
CherryLover said:
Kingof1k said:
Sakura Worm Queen

Bravo, the troll insulted a character. Bravo. Would you like a piece of candy for your efforts?

Don't get triggered so easily .
Apr 18, 2016 2:31 PM

Feb 2016
CherryLover said:
Kingof1k said:

No one force them, if they ask, we give the order suggestion and they choose the choices. They can watch any order they want.
May 7, 2016 11:01 AM

Dec 2015
Xillya- said:
CherryLover said:

No one force them, if they ask, we give the order suggestion and they choose the choices. They can watch any order they want.

Is that not just a demand disguised as some kind-hearted suggestion? You fans get angry whenever people don't watch things the way you want them to.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Movie: Heaven's Feel - I. Presage Flower Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

sirhcnil - Oct 14, 2017

500 by TheFelipex »»
Apr 16, 4:43 PM

» Is it even rape?

SwagsOnB - Sep 1, 2023

32 by ZachyMoof »»
Nov 14, 2023 6:44 AM

» Just casual discussion

Animo_san - Oct 4, 2023

10 by Rezete_01 »»
Oct 7, 2023 6:52 AM

» Can I start with this

Homura24 - Jun 25, 2022

46 by Epiccgaymer »»
Jun 28, 2022 2:39 AM

» Is it ok to watch Fate/Zero and then this trilogy? ( 1 2 )

nbnt - May 22, 2022

86 by pepre »»
May 24, 2022 4:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.