Forum Settings
Forums

Difference between an Otaku, a normal Fan of an Anime, and a Weeaboo...

New
Mar 21, 2016 9:18 AM

May 2015
I don't get it, Otaku and Weeaboos looks like they have the same perspective. They can speak Japanese (can't say if it's fluent), they love anime so much including mangas, and loves the culture of the Japanese. Correct me if I'm wrong. But what are the differences between a fan, an otaku and a weeaboo?
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Mar 21, 2016 9:25 AM

Sep 2015
The understanding of those terms changes depending where you live. Otakus are viewed in a different manner in Japan compared to western places, for instance.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Mar 21, 2016 9:52 AM

May 2015
It sure seems like we have a lot of these threads.
Mar 21, 2016 9:54 AM

Dec 2015
Normal fans are just fans
Otakus are die hard fans
Weeaboos are cancer
Nuff said.
Mar 21, 2016 9:57 AM

Aug 2013
Normal fans watch anime discuss with friends but generally don't talk or engage outside anime

Otaku have anime shit about the house, attend cons and like imported games

Weebs have to have japanese voice over, even on western shit. They have love pillows won't shut the fuck up about anime, say random japanese words and join anime clubs.
Mar 21, 2016 9:59 AM

Jan 2016
they are all terrible, but otakus are especially the worst
Mar 21, 2016 10:00 AM
Feb 2014
Otaku: Bigger fan of anime than more, verging on unhealthy obsession in some cases
Normal Fan: An anime fan (most of us)
Weeaboo: A person who wishes they were Japanese while forsaking their own culture for that, despite being an outsider.
Mar 21, 2016 10:20 AM

May 2015
vx71 said:
It amazes me how many people are unable to google the definition of terms

I did some of it, but it's kinda hard to differentiate between an Otaku and a Weeaboo. A Fan let's just say I just intended to add that to help differentiate it...

Sorry about that...
If God exists, then he should try extending my deadline right now!
~ Kobayashi, Kobayashi-san chi no Maid Dragon - Episode 12
Mar 21, 2016 10:24 AM

Aug 2015
Anime fan = a fan of anime (self-explanatory)
Otaku = a big anime fan
Weeaboo = crazed anime fan

Mar 21, 2016 10:33 AM

Aug 2012
Weebs are the bad apple in the basket causing the rot to set in by giving us a bad name.
Mar 21, 2016 10:37 AM
Feb 2016
Anime Fans=People who like Anime
Otaku=People who like Anime a lot more than an fan
Weeaboo=Takes their like of Anime to an fetishistic extent. They abuse the Japanese language, and make false statements. They claim to know Japanese history, when they don't have any historical context or cultural exposure outside of Anime.

Mar 21, 2016 10:51 AM

Aug 2015
normal fan - enjoys anime
otaku - inbetween just enjoying it and being overly obsessed
weeaboo - unhealthy obession with japanese culture, may even say they're japanese and stuff

☁ cyborg robot squirrels ☁
Mar 21, 2016 10:55 AM
Ultimate Slime

Dec 2014
This video explains it perfectly.

Mar 21, 2016 10:55 AM
Jul 2018

"Otaku" is Japanese word and I would use it in relation to Japanese person only.
It means strong / unhealthy obsession with anything, not only anime or manga.
According to many sources the term has derogatory meaning but it's arguable.

Weaboo is non-Japanese person who blindly follows Japanese culture
to the point of rejecting their own. In other words "Japanese wannabe".
But no matter how hard they try to act / live like Japanese, they aren't.

In my opinion normal / casual fans have more common sense in general.
Mar 21, 2016 11:01 AM

Apr 2012
Anime Fan/noun: Someone who likes anime and manga.
Otaku/noun: Japanese person who is obsessed with anime and manga.
Weaboo/noun: Non Japanese person who's obsessed with Japan, Japanese culture, Anime, etc. Also believes, or pretends to be Japanese.

Edit: Most people here are nerds/geeks and anime fans.
mascarponeMar 21, 2016 11:14 AM
Mar 21, 2016 11:36 AM
Jun 2014
Otakus and weebs have no lives, normal fans are cool.
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Mar 21, 2016 12:29 PM

Oct 2014
All I gotta to say on this issue is...

Mar 21, 2016 12:36 PM
Jul 2018
Anime fans are pretentious and cruel.
Otaku are pretentious and cruel.
Weebs are pretentious and naive.

Labels are fun.
Mar 21, 2016 12:42 PM
Jul 2018
Anime fans: regular people.
Otaku and Weebs: sad human beings.

That's the difference.
Mar 21, 2016 12:46 PM

Nov 2015
An anime fan is someone who is equal to me in their enjoyment of anime.

An Otaku or Weeb is someone who enjoys anime more than me.

Anyone who likes it less than me is a filthy casual.
Mar 21, 2016 12:54 PM

Aug 2013
Anime fan : I like to watch anime.

Otaku : My room is filled with anime merchandise.

Weeb : Oh my God Japan has the greatest culture in the entire world. All other countries in the world have shit culture unlike Japan. Anime are the only shows in existence that are good and worth watching all other shows and movies automatically suck. I barely watch those other shows but I know they automatically suck because they are not Japanese made, the voice acting also isn't Japanese so it obviously will be bad. I plan on moving to Japan and never returning to my home country so that I can properly transition to Japanese. Currently in my home country I try to only speak Japanese (even though it isn't my native tongue and people don't know what the hell I'm saying), I only watch anime, I only listen to J pop, I only eat Japanese food, I only watch Japanese movies. I 'm also thinking about getting a katanna collection and only wearing kimonos (there are both male and female kimonos). I think I will be most comfortable only wearing kimonos than my regular clothes.
Mar 21, 2016 1:19 PM
Sep 2014
Yeah also there could be correlation with the circumference of the sun on nights of gloom.
Mar 21, 2016 1:22 PM

Feb 2013
Anime fan: Casually watches some anime.

Otaku and Weebs: Usually are the ones who are "obsessed" with anime, people here tend to not like being called that and make fun of weebs and otakus all the time, but i think having an account on an anime forum and having the need to make a list to keep track of all your animu is a nice starting way to become a weeb, imo.

Mar 21, 2016 2:04 PM

Mar 2012
An Anime Fan enjoys watching anime.
An Anime Otaku is obssesed with anime or a specific anime show, and will spend a huge amount of money on figures and other merchandise and also learn the language just so they can read the manga before its translated.
A Weeabo believes Anime is the superior medium and that all western shows are shit, they will only listen exclusivity to j-pop and j-rock music, they will overlook any atrocities the Japanese committed in WW2, they will pretty much only eat Japanese food and just generally believe Japanese culture is superior to everyone else.
Mar 21, 2016 2:04 PM

Dec 2013
Tho boys otaku means just Enthusiast. Which can be an otaku of anything from military stuff to idols. But yeah when it's seens as "cool" in the western world it's seen more as a insult in Japan.

Oh dem weebos the easiest way to explain... it's those guys who add desu to anything!
Nov 4, 2017 11:31 PM
Nov 2017
A normal fan simply watches the ocasional anime they stumble upon and like

An otaku(meaning enthusiast) is as the meaning implies someone who is enthusisatic about anime in the west otaku is seen as a normal thing like being refered to as a Potterhead if you like Harry Potter and in Japan it is seen more as an insult

A weeabo(or weeb for short) is someone who belives that just by watching and liking anime they are Japanese they typicaly try to learn Japanese & Jpanese culture through anime which as I'm sure you can imagine tends to lead to some pretty interesting rusults weeabo is seen as a insult in both the west and Japan but it's more common(for obvious reasons) in the west
Nov 5, 2017 5:23 AM

Apr 2017
On otaku is not necessarily an anime fan. An otaku is a japanese term for somebody who is passionate about his hobby and literally knows everything about it. So this is where anime otakus come from. Most western people think otaku is something anime related, but it doesn't have to be anime. It can be video games or something else.

A normal fan watches what he likes and is not so passionate about anime.

A weeaboo is a disgrace. They simply deny their own culture and tradition and they act like they're japanese. In their everyday life, they use a lot of japanese words, such as baka, kawaii etc., but they emphasize them incorrectly.

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - Apr 23

29 by MalchikRepaid »»
11 minutes ago

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

44 by Kiryotsu »»
37 minutes ago

Poll: » Worst social media

IpreferEcchi - Mar 19

27 by MalchikRepaid »»
44 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

42 by zzz »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - Yesterday

20 by blueblur »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.